HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla to the Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Calgary should pull the trigger and yell no givebacksies if they hear Bjustad and 1st in the same sentence
what if its i don't really want bjugstad or your 1st

Old
12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
jwillo1829

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotamus View Post
I would put the odds of Iginla waiving to play in Florida at about 1/1000. Maybe not even.
Yea, I'd have to agree. Not a chance he goes to the Panthers.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by velodim View Post
Agree!!! I don't think Iginla would cost a lot at his age.
You can always count on some ridiculous posts in any Iginla trade thread like this one.

Old
12-21-2011, 07:10 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Bear View Post
Iginla and Backlund

for

Huberdeau,Bjugstad and 2012 1st.

Never ****ing ever.. terrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotamus View Post
I would put the odds of Iginla waiving to play in Florida at about 1/1000. Maybe not even.
I think he would. Playing on a better team, and living in Florida instead of Calgary. Who wouldn't?

Old
12-21-2011, 07:30 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post

I think he would. Playing on a better team, and living in Florida instead of Calgary. Who wouldn't?
Lets face the facts here...Florida is not a cup contending team with or without Iginla.

It would take much more than a marginally better team that struggles to draw in an a crowd on a nightly basis to get Jarome Iginla to leave this organization after being the face of the franchise for 15 years.

Florida is not a realistic option whatsoever.

Calgary has been his home for over a decade, Im sure he would much rather remain here than live in Florida.

Old
12-21-2011, 07:35 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Lets face the facts here...Florida is not a cup contending team with or without Iginla.

It would take much more than a marginally better team that struggles to draw in an a crowd on a nightly basis to get Jarome Iginla to leave this organization after being the face of the franchise for 15 years.

Calgary has been his home for over a decade, Im sure he would much rather remain here than live in Florida.
Yeah, Florida just drew 17.100 last night vs. one of the least interesting teams. The point about Florida not drawing is such ********. 10 years without the playoffs and still we've have averaged over 15.000 those years. You know what Pittsburgh, Chicago and Washington had before they drafted their stars? A lot less than 15.000.

Florida doesn't struggle to get fans, check your facts.

Maybe he wouldn't and maybe he would? You don't know that for sure. I think he would highly consider that.

Old
12-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Maybe he wouldn't and maybe he would? You don't know that for sure. I think he would highly consider that.
I'm sure he would consider it, but his family, friends and life are based in Western Canada. Plus, he also has business interests here (see: Kamloops Blazers).

He`s pretty committed to this area, and rightfully so. Florida has the weather, but past that, there`s not much more that area could offer Iginla that Western Canada couldn`t. I don`t mean to be rude or arrogant in any way, but that`s the reality of the situation.

Old
12-21-2011, 08:41 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah, Florida just drew 17.100 last night vs. one of the least interesting teams. The point about Florida not drawing is such ********. 10 years without the playoffs and still we've have averaged over 15.000 those years. You know what Pittsburgh, Chicago and Washington had before they drafted their stars? A lot less than 15.000.

I dont care what the announced crowd is, just last week the arena looked half empty.

He saw it, I saw it, most of the league see's it. Florida is not a hockey hot bed and not a contending team.

Of course you would love to believe that Iginla would consider a trade to your team, but the fact remains that its one of most illogical places for him to go.

Old
12-21-2011, 08:44 PM
HoneyBrownTown

I'm going to color myself guilty here for not reading all of the posts.... but can Florida afford Iginla #1?

Does Florida have cap room, #2?

Old
12-21-2011, 09:14 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBrownTown View Post
I'm going to color myself guilty here for not reading all of the posts.... but can Florida afford Iginla #1?

Does Florida have cap room, #2?
They absolutely could afford Iginla, given what Calgary looking for (prospects) Id say Florida is one of the best prospect markets right now and could easily offer any number of prospects/picks in a package for Iginla.

I would also imagine that the Panthers have a self imposed cap (?) but yes, in terms of cap space Florida technically has around 11M

Old
12-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Tont

vCash: 503
Quote:

Most of the league is a better team than Calgary. Florida is not special in this regard. What Iginla would be looking for in a team if he were to agree to waive his NMC is a true cup contender, a team that can spend to the cap year in year out. Florida is not that team.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Auger

It doesn't make sense for Florida to get Iginla. They aren't even contenders, why trade away anything but some low level prospects and their first. Why trade their future for two years of Iginla, who is 34 right now btw. I could see a contender going after him hard, but not the Panthers

Old
12-22-2011, 04:40 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Quote:
I dont care what the announced crowd is, just last week the arena looked half empty.

He saw it, I saw it, most of the league see's it. Florida is not a hockey hot bed and not a contending team.

Of course you would love to believe that Iginla would consider a trade to your team, but the fact remains that its one of most illogical places for him to go.
Hey, Iginla may or may not come here, but let's leave the attendance out of it. You lose for 10 years straight and tell me there wouldn't be attendance issues. And keep in mind that 2 Original Six teams had massive attendance issues after only a few years of losing. Keep in mind Washington and Pittsburgh's issues as well.

Previous owner is gone, new regime is patient and willing to follow the plan, we have a very good GM, great coach, and players are seeing that this team is trending upward.

So, let's leave the attendance ******** out of it, especially since it'll be a completely different landscape in the stands come playoff time. Look to just a few years ago when they missed to Montreal by half a point and filled the stands as all the proof you need. Do I think he'll be a Panther? No, but don't pretend you know anything about Florida or it's fan base.

12-22-2011, 04:58 AM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Yeah, Florida just drew 17.100 last night vs. one of the least interesting teams.
i'm impartial (or trying to be) but how many of those tickets were comped or close to comped

Old
12-22-2011, 05:02 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Hey, Iginla may or may not come here, but let's leave the attendance out of it. You lose for 10 years straight and tell me there wouldn't be attendance issues. And keep in mind that 2 Original Six teams had massive attendance issues after only a few years of losing. Keep in mind Washington and Pittsburgh's issues as well.

Previous owner is gone, new regime is patient and willing to follow the plan, we have a very good GM, great coach, and players are seeing that this team is trending upward.

So, let's leave the attendance ******** out of it, especially since it'll be a completely different landscape in the stands come playoff time. Look to just a few years ago when they missed to Montreal by half a point and filled the stands as all the proof you need. Do I think he'll be a Panther? No, but don't pretend you know anything about Florida or it's fan base.

And of course the panther fans come steaming in here at my attendance remarks.

As for the bolded thats just what I am talking about, I am not bashing the fanbase of the Florida Panthers just merely pointing out the fact that at this time it is a tough sell for that organization to consistently produce a sold out building on a nightly basis. Believe it or not, that has an affect on a players willingness to play for a certain city or organization.

Of course as the wins start to pile up, the more the fans will start to appear(for every team). With that being said Florida is not at that stage yet and until they are they will have a hard time attracting elite talent to their organization through trade or free agency.

It makes absolutely no sense for Iginla to make such a drastic change in his life and career unless he feels he can go to a "hockey market" that is contending for the cup. Again Florida is not that place due to an assortment of reasons.

Old
12-22-2011, 06:32 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:

You don't care, cause you don't know. I don't even want Iginla, but I'd think he would waive to come here. And you know hockey players do other stuff than hockey, right? Florida has everything to offer, Calgary on the other hand..

Our averege this year is 15.700, true story. So stop with your pathetic Canadian hate... cause you don't know what you are talking about.

And it has nothing to do with steam or whatever, but when someone so ill-informed come here and think they know everything about our team, then you have to react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
i'm impartial (or trying to be) but how many of those tickets were comped or close to comped
The arena was packed, and it was the loudest crowd I've heard in a long time.

Old
12-22-2011, 06:33 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
Close to being comped is a good way to describe it. Except for about 4 games a year, items pretty easy to acquire cheap tix.

As a long time season ticket holder, I am just happy to see the arena full after so many years,cheap tix or not.

BTW we have been down so long, it is easy for us to mistake getting into then play offs as winning the Cup. We are not contenders,and are a rebuilding team that is making progress but we need to develop our prospects, not mortgage the future.

If Jerome waives his NMC, it will not be to go to the Panthers in any event....

Old
12-22-2011, 07:11 AM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Bear View Post
Iginla and Backlund

for

Huberdeau,Bjugstad and 2012 1st.
Awful. I don't even know why we would want Iginla but your proposal is just terrible. Backlund is very unappealing as well.

Old
12-22-2011, 07:22 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
First, I didnt propose ANY deal, just stating the obvious, which is Tallon not giving up who I mentioned. He might give up Howden in a deal, but Bjugstad and Huberdeau are our two top forward prospects, and he is extremely high on both of them. Tallon is not going to touch that top line, and he wont give up Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Gudbranson, or Markstrom, and if that is too much for others to understand, then why bother with the idiotic replies? There is no proposal in my thread, just a question. There are prospects, players, and picks that are available outside of the players mentioned, which is what Tallon would use as trade pieces.
Then he has no shot at getting Iginla.

I know you didn't actually propose anything and with good reason. The guys that are "available" from the remaining group of prospects would not be enticing enough to get a deal done for Iginla.

Old
12-22-2011, 07:57 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:

Florida and Tampa often draw a lot of snow bird fans who are down there for the winter.

I know my dad goes to Tampa games any chance he gets when he is down at his condo.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:

The same thing was said about Brian Campbell,Bergenhiem,Kopecky,Upshall,Goc,Versteeg,J ovo,Theodore,and Fleishmann!!! People said they would never want to play in Florida and that Florida is crappy place to play, yet all those players are here, LOVING IT HERE, and we are 2nd place in East and 1st place in SouthEast by a big margin. We have a real team, doing real damage that IS NOT a fluke. Florida may not be as big of a hockey market as Calgary(which I personally wish it was because I love hockey more than any other sport),but Calgary is about to go into rebuild mode much like Florida did. Just because the arena LOOKED half empty,doesn't mean it WAS half empty. The only thing the NHL, you and Calgary see's is that Florida is thriving once again, and whether you like it, the NHL likes it, Calgary, and/or Iginla likes it, Florida IS and is going to continue to be, A successful franchise. (FINALLY)

Iginla may be a great player, even a franchise player, but saying a 35 year old, past his prime, not really doing much for Calgary recently, is worth a 1st rounder, Huberdeau(this past years 1st rounder)and Bjustad and/or Howden is RIDICULOUS. The only way I'd give up that much or more is for a player like Ovi, Crosby,Malkin and maybe Bobby Ryan.
I'm sorry that you don't think highly of our team, or even having hockey in the south (which I don't understand why you wouldn't want to see you fav sport spreading across the world, regardless of where it is) but the fact is that the Florida Panthers are now a serious threat. We may not be CUP contenders, not yet anyways( although anything is possible once the post season starts, and we have Cup champs on our team, as well as our 96 team looked very similar to this team, except this team now is a lot better) but we are a serious team with some serious skill and a GM who seems like Michealangelo, the way he's build this organization out of nothing. I guess it's time for Canadians to get over the hatred of the Panthers and come to realize that we have talent.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:00 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Florida and Tampa often draw a lot of snow bird fans who are down there for the winter.

I know my dad goes to Tampa games any chance he gets when he is down at his condo.
Some games yes, but that happens plenty of other places too. And last nights game was vs. Pheonix.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:12 AM
flamesfan5

Quote:
You don't care, cause you don't know. I don't even want Iginla, but I'd think he would waive to come here. And you know hockey players do other stuff than hockey, right? Florida has everything to offer, Calgary on the other hand..

Our averege this year is 15.700, true story. So stop with your pathetic Canadian hate... cause you don't know what you are talking about.

And it has nothing to do with steam or whatever, but when someone so ill-informed come here and think they know everything about our team, then you have to react.

Why sit there chirping when you dont know SH** about the Flames. Iggy has stated that he does not want to leave Calgary and why would he waive to go to Florida when there are many other contending teams that always push for the playoffs possibly wanting him.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
The Gnome

Quote:

ahhhhhh....Americans

Not saying you are all like this (Lot of great people from the states), but this just furthers the sterotypes about your country.

You do know that Calgary is 40 minutes away from one of the largest mountain ranges in the world, right? One of the worlds most beautiful natural surrondings that I have ever seen.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:59 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan5 View Post
Why sit there chirping when you dont know SH** about the Flames. Iggy has stated that he does not want to leave Calgary and why would he waive to go to Florida when there are many other contending teams that always push for the playoffs possibly wanting him.

Cap-space? Heard of it? If Flames are looking for picks and prospects like people say here, then it eliminates a lot of teams. Unless they want a major salary dump in return, which I doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
ahhhhhh....Americans

Not saying you are all like this (Lot of great people from the states), but this just furthers the sterotypes about your country.

You do know that Calgary is 40 minutes away from one of the largest mountain ranges in the world, right? One of the worlds most beautiful natural surrondings that I have ever seen.
I'm not even American

That's cool and all, but you really think that's fun to do like 50 times a year?

Closed Thread