HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's not panic time in Buffalo -- yet

Old
12-20-2011, 04:01 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
It's not panic time in Buffalo -- yet

Quote:
Billionaire Terry Pegula has invested heavily both on and off the ice with the hopes of a championship run in Buffalo.

Days away from Christmas, the Sabres are not that team yet.

Some Sabres fans are calling for the heads of the head coach and GM. Other fans want trades.

Sabres president Ted Black, Pegula’s trusted lieutenant, spoke with ESPN.com on Monday and his message was one of patience.

Our first question dealt with head coach Lindy Ruff. Is he on the hot seat?

“No, no, he’s not the reason we are where we are right now,” Black said. “Injuries and execution probably mean more than that.

“I don’t know of a coach that has done so much with so little for so long than Lindy,” added the Sabres team president. “We’ve only been on the job here for 10 months, we’re going to give him all the assets he needs to be successful.”
Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, Black sounded very sincere in backing his GM and coach. But ownership reserves the right to change its mind whenever it wants. That’s the story of pro sports.

In the short term, Black is asking Sabres fans be patient.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...in-buffalo-yet

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:09 PM
BCS

Buffalo's sports teams are hopeless.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:11 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
“And I also recognize the inherent cruelty of asking fans who have been through 40 winters of disappointment to have patience or to ask them to have a sense of hope and promise,” said Black. “Never in the history of the Sabres has there been a time when the ownership more resources in the pursuit of building a championship franchise. We’re almost 10 months into this, we’re not going to panic. We’re going to do everything we can to improve the team whenever we can improve it.”

But the Sabres president understands the fans’ anger.

“I get it,” he said. “I know these fans are so frustrated. I live in the city, I live in the community; I know how badly they want a championship team. We’re going to do everything we can to deliver it. When I say be patient, I’m not asking for blind faith or blind belief or blind trust; because Buffalo fans are smarter than accepting those empty promises. We’re asking them to stick with us. We’re right on the trajectory. Maybe it doesn’t feel like it. Maybe it doesn’t feel like it today, but we are going to continue the vigorous pursuit to bring the Cup to Buffalo.”
More from Black in that article. Ted Black is such a breath of fresh air compared to the last team president who made excuses about 'small market economics', etc.

And he's 100% right.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:21 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
“We’ve only been on the job here for 10 months, we’re going to give him all the assets he needs to be successful.”
And when he refuses to make use of those assets, does nothing to improve his coaching staff, and still doesn't have a clue how to handle his goaltenders, then what?

You can lead a coach to water, but Lindy doesn't exactly seem to be lapping it up right now.

"Only " 10 months is 28% of the 3 year plan.

Something will have to give if this keeps up. I'd put my money on Regier being the first one out the door, but Ruff isn't exactly helping his public reputation with the way he's been coaching and the things he's been saying lately.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
“No, no, he’s not the reason we are where we are right now,” Black said. “Injuries and execution probably mean more than that.
so coaches aren't responsible when a team isn't executing?
Quote:
“I don’t know of a coach that has done so much with so little for so long than Lindy,” added the Sabres team president. “We’ve only been on the job here for 10 months, we’re going to give him all the assets he needs to be successful.”
Talk about throwing the core under the bus... lol

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:50 PM
HiddenInLight

I wish he would be a little bit more specific about what "we are on the right trajectory" means. Does that mean they are looking to free agency in the off season? Or are they discussing trade options? Are there certain players that are on the hot seat? I know it's not likely to get THAT specific, but I wish he would say something like "Right now we are exploring the possibility of a trade." Or "Right now we are waiting to see who becomes available during the off season." Or even "Right now we are working on evaluating our free agents, and deciding whether or not to offer them extensions" Just a HINT about what they are doing would settle the fans down more then "Were doing everything we can, Trust Us." Nudge nudge wink.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:51 PM
MyersMagic57*

I liked the article. I think its something Buffalo should read into more. There is a lot of positiveness that is overlooked. I mean why are we blaming Regier for anything? When he made those moves over summer how was he supposed to know what was going to be the end result. We praised him for what he did over the summer, so why shouldn't we now. He made some great bold moves for the first time in awhile.

And how is it the coaches fault? I'm sure there are plenty of experienced nhl'ers that would listen and be successful under Ruff. And he has done a great job in his long tenure here.

I think people need to stop looking at all the negatives and look at the positives. Sure if nothing changes then maybe we need a coaching change, but how do we know that coaching is the issue here? Are the people complaining in the locker room? No, so we don't know what the issue is, but we are still in 8th place in the east after losing the most man games of any NHL team and all it takes is a winning streak to get us back into position to be a dominant team

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Sabretip

Granted, it's an ESPN article instead of TBN but all of the Black quotes are redundant - couldn't this thread be merged with the TBN thread on same topic of "patience"?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1057969

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I wish he would be a little bit more specific about what "we are on the right trajectory" means. Does that mean they are looking to free agency in the off season? Or are they discussing trade options? Are there certain players that are on the hot seat? I know it's not likely to get THAT specific, but I wish he would say something like "Right now we are exploring the possibility of a trade." Or "Right now we are waiting to see who becomes available during the off season." Or even "Right now we are working on evaluating our free agents, and deciding whether or not to offer them extensions" Just a HINT about what they are doing would settle the fans down more then "Were doing everything we can, Trust Us." Nudge nudge wink.
A poker player won't tell you the cards he's holding and a chess player won't tell you his next 3 moves.

The other teams in the league can read that, so they aren't going to come out and say what they want to do next.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:00 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
I liked the article. I think its something Buffalo should read into more. There is a lot of positiveness that is overlooked. I mean why are we blaming Regier for anything? When he made those moves over summer how was he supposed to know what was going to be the end result. We praised him for what he did over the summer, so why shouldn't we now. He made some great bold moves for the first time in awhile.

And how is it the coaches fault? I'm sure there are plenty of experienced nhl'ers that would listen and be successful under Ruff. And he has done a great job in his long tenure here.

I think people need to stop looking at all the negatives and look at the positives. Sure if nothing changes then maybe we need a coaching change, but how do we know that coaching is the issue here? Are the people complaining in the locker room? No, so we don't know what the issue is, but we are still in 8th place in the east after losing the most man games of any NHL team and all it takes is a winning streak to get us back into position to be a dominant team
I don't know about you, but I praised the Regehr trade, that was Pegula's personal doing, not Regeir's.
I railed against the Leino signing, way to much for way to long on such an unknown, and it showing it's ugly head.
The Ehrhoff signing I only will agree with so long as the team builds the first 2 scoring lines around speed and size. He did very well with Vancouver because of the speed of those players. The size could only benefit him if they can keep an offensive forecheck on allowing him to boom his shot to the net.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:01 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
A poker player won't tell you the cards he's holding and a chess player won't tell you his next 3 moves.

The other teams in the league can read that, so they aren't going to come out and say what they want to do next.
I understand that they won't come out at say "We're negotiating with the Ducks, and are making a deal to acquire Getzlaf." But there has to be something that they could tell us that assures us that they are doing SOMETHING not just saying that they are doing their best. I feel like a lot of other fans feel the same way. I also feel like there would be a lot less angry fans if we could find some proof that they were doing SOMETHING. Even if it was a minor trade, or signing a minor free agent on the cheap to fill in for one of our missing players. Even signing a player or two to Rochester so that they could Ice an entire team.

Old
12-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Three quotes from the article that bug me:

Quote:
“I don’t know of a coach that has done so much with so little for so long than Lindy,” added the Sabres team president
I know Black was likely referring to past ownerships but how does that assessment not get linked to the GM who gave Ruff "so little" to work with over that time?

Quote:
“The job Darcy did in the offseason was fantastic,” said Black. “He went out and traded for an experienced defenseman [Robyn Regehr] who waived his no-trade clause to come to Buffalo. Which is something this franchise hasn’t experienced in a long, long time. Darcy also went out and acquired two of the more premier free agents available.”
Black makes it sound as if Regier was influential in persuading Regehr, when we all heard that Pegula, his wife and Ruff played a larger part. As for "acquiring two of the premier free agents", Pegula's cash was the only reason those two signed. With the same GM but the previous ownership, neither would have likely become Sabres.

Quote:
"When I say be patient, I’m not asking for blind faith or blind belief or blind trust; because Buffalo fans are smarter than accepting those empty promises"
By asking fans to accept the same mediocrity and results, with the same core of players and same management duo, Black is asking the fans to be blind to the past - and rely on promises that this time it will be different. Rigas said that with his "tools" comment but never backed it up. Golisano said he'd eat the microphone if the Sabres missed the playoffs the following season (which they did). If Buffalo fans are so smart as Black says, he knows full well why they don't want another empty promise.

Old
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
But there has to be something that they could tell us that assures us that they are doing SOMETHING not just saying that they are doing their best.
Don't hold your breath. Every team states their goals and intentions to get better and improve but no one makes public admissions of exactly how they intend to fulfill them. Regier will never tip his hand beyond the vanilla responses he gives the media - and the most you'll get from Black is that "anything that will bring us closer to a Cup will be considered".

Old
12-20-2011, 05:21 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Don't hold your breath. Every team states their goals and intentions to get better and improve but no one makes public admissions of exactly how they intend to fulfill them. Regier will never tip his hand beyond the vanilla responses he gives the media - and the most you'll get from Black is that "anything that will bring us closer to a Cup will be considered".
But would it kill them to sign a player to Rochester to help the Amerks compete while so many players are in Buffalo? That doesn't tip your hand, but it shows us that your doing SOMETHING.

Old
12-20-2011, 05:29 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quinn , Black no f'in difference to me, just spewing the same slick words as Quinn. Some things are just destined to never change. I've had enough patience with this team and I'll respond with my wallet, refusing to support this garbage team. A 33% winning pct at home? Haha what a joke this franchise is, absolutely zero accountability on this team.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:32 PM
jfb392

Quote:
But would it kill them to sign a player to Rochester to help the Amerks compete while so many players are in Buffalo? That doesn't tip your hand, but it shows us that your doing SOMETHING.
Can you tell me where this player would come from?
Are you implying that a good player that would be interested in playing in the AHL is just sitting at home waiting?
The only player that did anything in the AHL last season that is available is Alex Berry and I believe he's injured.
All of the NHL veterans are old and are likely not interested in playing in the AHL or even playing at all anymore.
The rest of the good players are under contract already, whether it's in North America or Europe.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:35 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Seriously. Black just needs to shut up. The first few months everything sounded great. He said all the right things... Now it seems like he is a glorified cheerleader who is sent out to rev up the fans.

Guess what Ted, it aint workin. Neither is This whole thing ya got goin on here. I really appreciate the free programs, and the discounts, and the positive energy you bring but make a decision. Do you want to keep backimg lindy and darcy or do you want to keep your 3 years or less goal intact?

Both aren't gonna happen dude. If a team doesn't play hard in fromt of a coach, they aren't surviving a journey through the stanley cup playoffs.

Cmon Ted.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Funny, I read it just like I read that same BS quote about Lindy from fans, reporters, etc and it just depresses me that they're not convinced in the least that he's part of the problem.

"So little" includes the best team in the NHL in 06-07 that got to the playoffs and tried to coast through them. Also includes having the best goalie on the planet during his prime. SO LITTLE.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 06:06 PM
barcs

The "trajectory" since taking over was a sudden upshoot all the way through Europe and has probably dipped to just around or below where they'd started to date. Be it injury or coaching, im not gonna get into that.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 06:09 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Seriously. Black just needs to shut up. The first few months everything sounded great. He said all the right things... Now it seems like he is a glorified cheerleader who is sent out to rev up the fans.

Guess what Ted, it aint workin. Neither is This whole thing ya got goin on here. I really appreciate the free programs, and the discounts, and the positive energy you bring but make a decision. Do you want to keep backimg lindy and darcy or do you want to keep your 3 years or less goal intact?

Both aren't gonna happen dude. If a team doesn't play hard in fromt of a coach, they aren't surviving a journey through the stanley cup playoffs.

Cmon Ted.
And that's the wonderful thing about opinions....

Have you ever walked out of or turned off a Sabres game before the first period was done? I haven't. Staying with the 3 year plan idea that the owner and his top man have laid out to the fans of this team. Why would anyone bail out (not support) the owner and president less than one year into the first full season? There is adversity, challenges, and hard decisions to make. If you're (or anyone) is that impatient to see what 3 full seasons will bring, and feel the need to bad mouth Pegula and Black, then please please please go be a fan of another team. The negativity over the owner and president are amazing. Watch the game tonight, and at the 10 minute mark, shut off the TV, don't watch the rest of the game (because you apparently know what the outcome will be before it has a chance to play out) and complain how they will never be any good, ever.

Give. Me. A. Break. Wow

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
The "trajectory" since taking over was a sudden upshoot all the way through Europe and has probably dipped to just around or below where they'd started to date. Be it injury or coaching, im not gonna get into that.
How are they below?

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Games/...12-20&League=1

On December 10, 2010 -- the Sabres had 30 points through 33 games and were 5th worst in the NHL.

On December 10, 2011 -- the Sabres have 35 points through 32 games and are 16th in the NHL.

The 2011 team is wracked by injuries and some players having rough starts to the year.

The 2010 team had no such excuse....and frankly, the Sabres' 2010 play offered a far, far better reason to fire Ruff than this year.

There is incremental improvement. Which is a good trajectory, especially when you take into account the man games lost to injury in 2011 when compared to 2010.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 06:35 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
How are they below?

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Games/...12-20&League=1

On December 10, 2010 -- the Sabres had 30 points through 33 games and were 5th worst in the NHL.

On December 10, 2011 -- the Sabres have 35 points through 32 games and are 16th in the NHL.

The 2011 team is wracked by injuries and some players having rough starts to the year.

The 2010 team had no such excuse....and frankly, the Sabres' 2010 play offered a far, far better reason to fire Ruff than this year.

There is incremental improvement. Which is a good trajectory, especially when you take into account the man games lost to injury in 2011 when compared to 2010.
Pegula and Co. were not in charge on 12/10/10.

Old
12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Pegula and Co. were not in charge on 12/10/10.
Exactly. We're in a better position with Pegula in charge than without.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
And that's the wonderful thing about opinions....

Have you ever walked out of or turned off a Sabres game before the first period was done? I haven't. Staying with the 3 year plan idea that the owner and his top man have laid out to the fans of this team. Why would anyone bail out (not support) the owner and president less than one year into the first full season? There is adversity, challenges, and hard decisions to make. If you're (or anyone) is that impatient to see what 3 full seasons will bring, and feel the need to bad mouth Pegula and Black, then please please please go be a fan of another team. The negativity over the owner and president are amazing. Watch the game tonight, and at the 10 minute mark, shut off the TV, don't watch the rest of the game (because you apparently know what the outcome will be before it has a chance to play out) and complain how they will never be any good, ever.

Give. Me. A. Break. Wow
The gripe isn't about Black or Pegula its about them endorsing Darcy and Lindy for no reason at all. I have no issues with a guy backing a coach and or a gm but Lindy and Darcy have ran this ship for 14 years under (if you want to consider the NHL) 4 different owners. When do you ever see a new owner come in and endorse a coach and or gm like Pegula and Black have? Let alone 2-3 other times?

I dont turn games off, i dont leave games early, in fact I drive an hour and a half one way to watch them. Every. Single. Home. Game. Most every game I watch is the same team with the same half assed effort, bad pp, questionable coaching adjustments between periods and blah blah blah. Im willing to give Pegula and Black a chance, i believe in them, but I question their choices to keep Endorsing Lindy when I see the same team having the same issues night in and night out.

So sorry if Im sick Of hearing people back Darcy and Lindy. Its obvious Lindy can't get these guys to play. He hasn't gotten multiple 60 minute games out of this team in a week period in oh probaby 5 years.

The injury excuse can only go so far. Woopty doo. Were missing guys who have been garbage all year long and the Pens were missing Crosby and their entire defense. Im sick of the excuses.

Is this goal of getting a cup in 3 years based on Lindy being here? Is this HIS time to get a cup, or is it Pegulas own goal?

Thats what I want to know...

Last edited by S319R11S16: 12-20-2011 at 06:53 PM.
S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 06:39 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Exactly. We're in a better position with Pegula in charge than without.
100% agree.. in the long run.

However to date, little progress if any, has been made.