HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should The Habs Rebuild

Old
12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
waxring

vCash: 500
Should The Habs Rebuild

It's been a very long time that the team never really had a franchise player. I really don't think the team will be competing for the cup with what we have now. With the assets that we have now, wouldn't it be worth it to trade most of the players exept for our core consisting of Price,Pacioretty,Subban,Eller,Gorges maybe Plekanec? The team would get a couple of draft picks and would be able to pick top 5. Im annoyed of this team, its not the coach, it's the lack of talent and it's time to change.

waxring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:07 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

This franchise player had an average game. Chill out. No re-builds. Re-tool only.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Retool IMO. There's a thread I wrote about the importance of this year. I truly feel the time is now to readdress the core or pave the way for a new one.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

This team needs to Build.

The world re-build implies tearing down something great and return to something equally great or better.

This team started rebuilding about 1995. It squandered its assets and its window.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:28 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Needs to shed the fat. Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Kaberle.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Not with this current management.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

More like a Re-tool, We aren't in Calagary territory... yet.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Evil Ted

Do the philly or boston style of re-tool. You dont have to sell the farm when you already have some good peices in place. Leafs kind of did the same.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Captain Saku

No re-build. We have good young players in Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller and Desharnais and good prospects coming on Beaulieu, Leblanc, Gallagher, Tinordi.

We need 1st to get rid of Gomez. Trade cammalleri, get a fricking legit top 4 defenseman and get some grit in the bottom 6.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Habbadasher

I don't think it is time yet to make that decision, but it is rapidly approaching.

It seems seems to me we have an asset or two (or three) that other teams might find valuable.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Something major and needed just happened to shake this team.. Now lets see how it works, lets see if Conneyworth can redress the situation.. We will see near the deadline where the team is about in the standing and if the team has progressed.. Then important decisions will have to be took for the future of this team.. but we arent there yet..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Andy

I think personally that the players everyone wants traded have very little value(Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, Gill, Campoli) and that the players that do have value(Plekanec, Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Gorges, Emelin Andrei..yes Andrei) are not the type of guys we want to get rid of, rather they are guys we want to build around.

The thing with Montreal is they are not "bad" enough to finish at the complete in utter bottom. I think even if you trade the players that everyone generally wants gone that the team could still easily finish in the 9th-10th area.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

No, fighting for 8th every year is fun!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:08 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
CGY needs to rebuild

we have a good core but need to build around that

re-tool like everyone said is the best thing to do

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Yes we should rebuild. From the management group to the players. Gauthier has to go, Timmins and his staff also. It's time for a real rebuild with our young core and draft as high as possible this year and the next. We desperately need a franchise centerman and that player is Mikhail Grigorenko. Grigorenko-Eller-Bournival top 3 centerman in the future would be insane. Surround them with great wingers like Pacioretty, Leblanc, Gallagher, Kristo. Defense we'll have Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Emelin and Price in the net. That would be a start of a great rebuild. Add some good veterans to it: Plekanec, Cole, etc. Have Patrick Roy as head coach and Kevin Prendergast as Head Scout and Director of scouting...who says we can't dream.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Le CH

IMO, PG has created a state of panic within the organisation due to his firing of JM when there wasn't that much wrong with the team... you can only expect so much given the injuries at the very start of the season. PG brought in Kaberle by trading Spacek and now has fired Martin - doubt anyone in the dressing room is feeling secure. Thats not what I consider a climat that leads to victories... hope PG isn't reading HF to make decision but considering how he is thrashing about looking for an answer its not looking good.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I think the Habs could benefit from having a down year, just like the Flyers did when they drafted JVR. A high end forward is the only thing missing to this team.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:33 PM
OneSharpMarble

We have so many players slumping horribly I don't think it is a lack of talent. No one in their wildest dreams could imagine how bad Cammalleri and Gionta could fall apart. Plekanec has had massive problems as well. I think we have done almost everything this season one can expect with one non-slumping line. We need a coach who can break them out of this funk and get them back to their game, Martin wasn't that coach and might have been the cause of this funk in the first place. Is Cunneyworth the coach to do it? I doubt it but until we get a valid replacement he is all we have.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Not with this current management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think personally that the players everyone wants traded have very little value(Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, Gill, Campoli) and that the players that do have value(Plekanec, Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Gorges, Emelin Andrei..yes Andrei) are not the type of guys we want to get rid of, rather they are guys we want to build around.

The thing with Montreal is they are not "bad" enough to finish at the complete in utter bottom. I think even if you trade the players that everyone generally wants gone that the team could still easily finish in the 9th-10th area.
See Above...

couldn't agree with you any more Andy. But that is precisely what a schrewd GM with a plan in mind would do.

identify the players you want to build around, use the remaining ones as assets to help surround & reinforce those players.

wether that means trading for decent return, or simply moving to free up cap space to target better fits, keeping them just b/c isn't a wise decision.

wether moving them hurts us enough to make us miss the playoffs or not (besides, at this point with them we are on the outside looking in), is irrelevant. the group we have as is will not contend for a title (barring miraculous luck), so better to aggressively work for our long-term goals then get caught up in short-term plans.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Lafleurs Guy

For the love of God... yes, we need to rebuild this club.

We're further ahead than most rebuilds in that we already have some good young players to build around but man, how many years are we going to continue down this path that leads us to nowhere?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
For the love of God... yes, we need to rebuild this club.

We're further ahead than most rebuilds in that we already have some good young players to build around but man, how many years are we going to continue down this path that leads us to nowhere?
Rebuild in one easy step... bury Gomez and sign Price and Subban. Gionta & Cammalleri are still good assets and can bounce back.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:12 AM
jamz

The Habs couldn't rebuild through the draft with Price in the net, even if they wanted to. And there are no teams who would give promising young players or good draft picks for guys like Gomez, Gionta, Kaberle, Cole, etc...

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Rebuild in one easy step... bury Gomez and sign Price and Subban. Gionta & Cammalleri are still good assets and can bounce back.
That core is not going to take us anywhere.... except maybe to the playoffs and a 1st or 2nd round exit.

Depends on what you want from your team. I've had enough of us just being good enough to make the playoffs.... We've got to change our attitude from building a team good enough to make the postseason to one that can actually compete for a cup.

We've seen this same scenario for years... aren't you sick of it yet? At what point do we take an honest look at our team and realize that it isn't good enough to win anything? It's not just tweaking, it's rebuilding that we need. Go out and actually try to build towards something. If Pleks is the only vet with value then be willing to deal him. Be wiling to deal Cammy... do what it takes to land great prospects and picks.

We need to stop spinning our wheels and go in a new direction. A coaching change is window dressing.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:27 AM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Price-Subban-Emelin-Beaulieu-Tinordi-Gorges-Plekanecs-Cole-Pacioretty-Eller-Leblanc-Gallager-Bournival-Kristo - That's the rebuild - all the rest are "parts". I agree, Cammy, Gionta, Gill could be positive subtractions at trade deadline to add to the "rebuild"! The core exists already IMHO. GOMEZ needs to be either on long term IR, or demoted to Hamilton ASAP!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
ill just repeat what i've said before:

if by the deadline we are out of it, then by all means, be sellers. take what ever you can for the usual suspects. but say we manage to move gionta, cammalleri, gomez, gill, kaberle and campoli, im not even sure we still would be bad enough to 'tank' properly.

play budaj for the rest of the way? im sure randy is gonna love losing....

if we end up with a top 10 pick, that's fine by me.

and lastly: montreal doesn't tank. ****, montreal doesn't even like losing, let alone losing so bad, you end up with a top pick. so i doubt that happens...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote