HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 31 @ New Jersey Devils

View Poll Results: 3 Stars
Marian Gaborik 132 73.74%
Henrik Lundqvist 170 94.97%
Derek Stepan 79 44.13%
Carl Hagelin 68 37.99%
Artem Anisimov 44 24.58%
Stu Bickel 8 4.47%
Brian Boyle 1 0.56%
Ryan McDonagh 6 3.35%
Brandon Dubinsky 9 5.03%
Dan Girardi 29 16.20%
Ryan Callahan 3 1.68%
Brad Richards 2 1.12%
Tim Erixon 3 1.68%
John Mitchell 2 1.12%
Other 2 1.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
The Devils played their best game of the season by far against journeymen and rookie dmen and lost.
Ummm.... I rarely ever comment on this board, but the above is just too ridiculous of a statement to not comment on.

As someone who has watched all 33 games, that wasnt even remotely close to the Devils "best game of the season" last night, let alone, "by far".

I'd give it, "slightly above average" for the way they controlled play most of the game, but that's about it. Maybe you only watched their first 12 or so games when they were struggling to .500 learning a brand new system, but they've been playing pretty well the last 10 or 12 games.

One thing's for sure, given you think that was the "best" Devils team on the ice last night, you're going to be pretty surprised at some point this season. lol.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Rupp looks like he's laughing while beating in Janssen's face.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

With our D depleted as it is, we were fortunate that Elias was out. Could have made the diff.. Not to say our call-up D-men didn't do a respectable job, they did. But Hank was just flat out stoning the devs and kept us in it until we found some offense.

Credit our guys in blue with having character and not imploding like we might have done in years past. That is the best part of this team. When we are completely healthy, we will be a very tough team to beat.

Although it is still relatively early in the season, that was a big 2-points with respect to the standings down the road. A pivotal game in terms of either contending for a top spot, or fighting for 8th. Let's let Florida and Toronto fall off, while we keep contending with philly & pitt.

The devs could be a dangerous team in the first round...

12-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
With our D depleted as it is, we were fortunate that Elias was out. Could have made the diff.. Not to say our call-up D-men didn't do a respectable job, they did. But Hank was just flat out stoning the devs and kept us in it until we found some offense.

Credit our guys in blue with having character and not imploding like we might have done in years past. That is the best part of this team. When we are completely healthy, we will be a very tough team to beat.

Although it is still relatively early in the season, that was a big 2-points with respect to the standings down the road. A pivotal game in terms of either contending for a top spot, or fighting for 8th. Let's let Florida and Toronto fall off, while we keep contending with philly & pitt.

The devs could be a dangerous team in the first round...
They will be dangerous; don't see Florida going anywhere soon(solid team, well coached) and I think Toronto may be in it for the long haul as well.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It's not really even so much that he's one dimensional, it's that he takes some risks with the puck and can be careless with it in situations that lead to chances for the other team.

He has the ability to make up for those lapses a lot of times, but they're going to be pretty frustrating for Devils fans I imagine. Last nights shorthanded goal was just one example
Really good point. The problem with Kovy is that he just isn't interested enough and therefore doesn't work that hard on defensive awareness and responsibilities. Kinda shameful on a team that has lived and died with their forwards being defensively aware and responsible over the past 20 years. Kovy is like "A pair of brown shoes in a sea of black tuxedos!"

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Ummm.... I rarely ever comment on this board, but the above is just too ridiculous of a statement to not comment on.

As someone who has watched all 33 games, that wasnt even remotely close to the Devils "best game of the season" last night, let alone, "by far".

I'd give it, "slightly above average" for the way they controlled play most of the game, but that's about it. Maybe you only watched their first 12 or so games when they were struggling to .500 learning a brand new system, but they've been playing pretty well the last 10 or 12 games.

One thing's for sure, given you think that was the "best" Devils team on the ice last night, you're going to be pretty surprised at some point this season. lol.
At the same time you're the one making bold predictions about how the Rangers peaked too early and are a bad team based off of one game...

The Rangers most definitely aren't playing their best hockey right now, but they're finding ways to win while their blueline is in pieces and their forwards are struggling a bit.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:18 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

I've watched about 10 Devils games this season, and they have looked like complete **** 80% of the time. Even the games they have won most of the time they have been outplayed and have been lucky to snag the extra point in the shootout 7 out of 8 times. Any Devils fans trying to tell you they haven't looked like **** the majority of the year is kidding themselves.

Yes, they looked good last night, but I attribute that to "Islanders syndrome" where they step up their game against the Rangers. Also it's not like the Devils dominated the entire game. They had the edge in the first. Rangers controlled most of the 2nd and 3rd was about even. Let's not forget the 8000 posts the Rangers hit. Those do NOT count as shots on goal.

Bottom line: 4-1. See ya next time losers.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Where's with all this "Adam Larsson was amazing tonight" talk coming from on their board? Bryce ****ing Salvador played more minutes then him. Let me know when Adam starts playing 30 minutes a night like Girardi and McDonagh. It's depressing seeing unspectacular play from a guy like that getting so much attention when we consistently have 3-6 guys under the age of 25 doing it every game.

The guy will never be a game-changer. He's smooth, smart and effective, but we have 5 defenseman capable of doing that in just as effective of a manner. And McIlrath, except he won't be smooth.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Rupp looks like he's laughing while beating in Janssen's face.

Just my two cents, but I think the linesmen should have stopped that fight a lot earlier than they did.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:43 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Where's with all this "Adam Larsson was amazing tonight" talk coming from on their board? Bryce ****ing Salvador played more minutes then him. Let me know when Adam starts playing 30 minutes a night like Girardi and McDonagh. It's depressing seeing unspectacular play from a guy like that getting so much attention when we consistently have 3-6 guys under the age of 25 doing it every game.

The guy will never be a game-changer. He's smooth, smart and effective, but we have 5 defenseman capable of doing that in just as effective of a manner. And McIlrath, except he won't be smooth.
Larsson did have a really good game last night, I'll give them that. Usually he's a turnover machine. Only time will tell what he will become, but he has the tools to become a top defenseman in the NHL.

One thing I don't understand is Devils fans fascination with Tedenby. 1 goal in 32 games and a team worst -12, yet they defend this guy to death. He is a tiny little bug that has decent hands, is an ok skater, has an average shot, and is not all that good defensively. He gets knocked off the puck waaay to easily due to his size. Yet they still believe they could get a first-pairing defenseman in a trade for him. I would attribute it to Prucha syndrome, but he hasn't even scored 10 goals in the league, let alone 30.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Your team is average at best (at their very best). The only thing I'd be surprised about is your boys winning a game in the playoffs.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

You guys see the LOL worthy comments from a poster or two over there? Saying "Stall" is overrated and Larsson is everything we wished "Stall" would be?

Oh dear Lord.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post

Just my two cents, but I think the linesmen should have stopped that fight a lot earlier than they did.
Rupp wanted them to. Cam was doing his normal ******** of taking a beat down before the guy tires and trying to win the fight in the end. It's a ***** move from a ****** fighter.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

The kid just got drafted and is playing top-4 minutes in the NHL as a defenseman. Marc Staal did what he is doing at the age of 20/21.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Moosehead777

I love you Rangers.

LGR!!!!!!!!!!!

Moosehead777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:17 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

I didn't even think it was possible to be that deluded. Guess I was wrong.

Nothing beats being in Midtown for a Rangers game. Nothing. MSG is being renovated and we'll basically have a new building in a couple years. I could care less if their building is "better" and has superior food. You're in Midtown Manhattan for Christ's sake! You have the world's best food and drink at your fingertips! Why would you waste more than a couple bucks eating in the stadium?

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The kid just got drafted and is playing top-4 minutes in the NHL as a defenseman. Marc Staal did what he is doing at the age of 20/21.
Staal easily could have played in New York at 19 if they had let him. It's also much easier for SEL guys to step in since they are playing a much higher competition level than CHL guys.

Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Stop cross-posting quotes from the Devils board. Fitzy warned everyone last night.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Larsson did have a really good game last night, I'll give them that. Usually he's a turnover machine. Only time will tell what he will become, but he has the tools to become a top defenseman in the NHL.

One thing I don't understand is Devils fans fascination with Tedenby. 1 goal in 32 games and a team worst -12, yet they defend this guy to death. He is a tiny little bug that has decent hands, is an ok skater, has an average shot, and is not all that good defensively. He gets knocked off the puck waaay to easily due to his size. Yet they still believe they could get a first-pairing defenseman in a trade for him. I would attribute it to Prucha syndrome, but he hasn't even scored 10 goals in the league, let alone 30.
Yeah, he was good, but he's pretty good every game I've seen. He never blows me away though, nor should be blow anyone else away. He made some nice defensive plays, and otherwise was pretty damn quite.

Maybe we're spoiled, but it's funny watching other teams get so excited when one of their younger defenseman steps in and plays well. Every team in the league has had one, or multiple ones, of these players since the lockout.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Levitate

Quote:

Dunno, gotta disagree with you. Sure he's not playing 25 minutes per game yet but Larsson looks very smart with the puck, is a very good passer, and was quite good on defense as well.

To be honest, though I hate these comparisons, he did remind me a bit of Lidstrom in how he managed the puck well and looked cool and calm at all times. I don't think he'll ever have Lidstroms offensive upside but I think hes' gonna be real good

The difference I see between someone like Girardi and McDonagh versus Larsson is that Larsson holds onto the puck better than they do and that allows him to make some good plays, and that's what sets his potential (note, just his potential) higher than those guys. We'll have to see if he can continue to improve and be as strong defensively as those guys, but I see some real good things out of him that I didn't see in earlier viewings

Maybe he's struggled in other games but last night he showed some serious potential in my eyes, and if he builds off that then he could be real good

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post

I kind of thought he had some real good potential in his rookie year but he still seems to be struggling to use his skills on NHL ice against bigger, stronger, and faster opponents. He's real quick, has better than decent hands IMO, but you can't go around everyone all the time in the NHL and he doesn't seem to find the open spaces on the ice that well

Dunno, I think he has a lot of offensive talent but hasn't learned how to use it in the NHL game.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:22 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Add him to the list of 15 or so other defenseman doing the exact same thing, in equal or worse circumstances.

Simply different development curves, doesn't mean Staal wasn't capable of doing it his rookie year, or even the year beforehand. He took the reigns later in his rookie year and did great. As bad as our defense that year looks now, it was still better then NJ's by a large margin.

Victor Hedman played even more minutes his rookie season, look at him now.

My point is he did nothing last night that screamed great game. He looked solid like always, but that's it.

Last edited by ColonialsHockey10: 12-21-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old
12-21-2011, 02:25 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Stop cross-posting quotes from the Devils board. Fitzy warned everyone last night.
Just out of curiousity, why is that? Someone is allowed to post their own paraphrased version of what someone on another board has said, but not allowed to quote the actual post? It just seems odd to me. I mean, is it really hurting anyone?

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:26 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Dunno, gotta disagree with you. Sure he's not playing 25 minutes per game yet but Larsson looks very smart with the puck, is a very good passer, and was quite good on defense as well.

To be honest, though I hate these comparisons, he did remind me a bit of Lidstrom in how he managed the puck well and looked cool and calm at all times. I don't think he'll ever have Lidstroms offensive upside but I think hes' gonna be real good

The difference I see between someone like Girardi and McDonagh versus Larsson is that Larsson holds onto the puck better than they do and that allows him to make some good plays, and that's what sets his potential (note, just his potential) higher than those guys. We'll have to see if he can continue to improve and be as strong defensively as those guys, but I see some real good things out of him that I didn't see in earlier viewings

Maybe he's struggled in other games but last night he showed some serious potential in my eyes, and if he builds off that then he could be real good

You think Larsson is capable of doing on a consistent basis what Girardi has done this season? He's been a Norris calibre player all year. That's pretty damn impressive.

McDonagh's been keeping up with Girardi as well, and has plenty of offensive room to grow. For as much credit as some of the younger defenseman in the league are getting right now, only 2 of them are doing what McDonagh has this season, Pietrangelo and (kill me) Karlsson. Yet he's still considered a distinct tier below them for some reason.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:32 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

I kind of thought he had some real good potential in his rookie year but he still seems to be struggling to use his skills on NHL ice against bigger, stronger, and faster opponents. He's real quick, has better than decent hands IMO, but you can't go around everyone all the time in the NHL and he doesn't seem to find the open spaces on the ice that well

Dunno, I think he has a lot of offensive talent but hasn't learned how to use it in the NHL game.
I was in the exact same boat after his rookie year. I thought he was going to be electric. He hasn't been developed properly.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:32 PM
NYR Viper

Guys, stop trying to downplay Larsson. The Devils got a good player. Get over it. He is 18. If the Rangers had an 18 year old defenseman playing top-4 minutes and in every situation we would all be drooling.

Does it mean he will be better than Staal or Girardi or McDonagh? Who knows. But you have to give the kid credit. Playing defense in the NHL is a very difficult thing to do.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote