HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Can't in Kanata, The (Dead) Beats Go On

Old
12-20-2011, 11:34 PM
kirby11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I would love to see Whitmore get a look with some better skill guys next game. He had good speed and a quick release.

Maybe a Whitmore/Adam/Kassian line.
I agree, I liked his offensive presence a lot more than I thought I would. When everyone said he was a career AHL guy i thought he'd basically be another mancari. He was definitely a pleasant surprise.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:40 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
That what I thought it was for as well but the time between that hit and when the ref's arm went up was too long for that to be the call.
I had no clue what the call was on Goose and said so in the GDT but folks said there (like you have here) that it probably was the elbow. So I went along with that explanation. Now I'm back to my original position that it was a phantom call and that one combined with the non-call on Vanek (replay clearly shows the Sen's D with his stick and arms wrapped around TV... even if TV embellished it a little) put the game entirely out of reach.

That's my beef with the refs tonight. But to be clear, the Sabres did not lose this game because of the ref's.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:05 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

We are a mess right now. Anemic offensively, and very poor defensively.

- So wait, everyone who thought Weber would come in for MAG and be a savior, how is that working out? My God, is he awful.

- Miller was fantastic. Left out to dry all night long. Felt bad for the guy.

- The top line of V-R-P sucked hard. Roy is not the center they need. Vanek's injury showed. Pominville got belted during a scrum, and no one so much as looked Carkner's way. Glad to see we're back to ***** hockey.

- Is Stafford in the lineup right now? I can't tell, to be honest.

- Whitmore played well. He was a bright spot. Foligno was.... there. He could have scored had Kassian (I believe) made a better pass to him in front of the net.

This team is just.... oof. Rough, rough, rough. With the incredible amount of injuries, I'm not panicking. Not yet. If they're healthy and playing like this in February, I'll be holding down the panic button with both hands.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:27 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
So, did Ruff break Weber?

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Gragnani used mind control on him. Derek Roy and Drew Stafford also helped.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:17 AM
dan213

As bad as it's been we are currently 1 point out of a playoff spot. If someone would have given me the injury list for this team back in October, I would have taken 35 points at this spot in a heartbeat.

dan213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:53 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan213 View Post
As bad as it's been we are currently 1 point out of a playoff spot. If someone would have given me the injury list for this team back in October, I would have taken 35 points at this spot in a heartbeat.
I refuse to look at the short term goals any longer. Terry wants to build this thing to last, well judging by the way the team plays... this product is not going to win a cup. It has nothing to do with wins and or losses it has to do with how the team plays and has played for years under Ruff.

Adding a player or two might fix a patch, but it's not going to fix the roof.

Last edited by S319R11S16: 12-21-2011 at 07:55 AM.
S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Not really anything. He gave the usual types of answers. But near the end of the interview Sylvester said something along the lines of you seem mad and Kassian said he was mad. But Kassian spoke in a calm quiet voice the entire interview.
I thought he was having a harder time staying calm about it. He looked PO'd.

12-21-2011, 07:57 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I thought he was having a harder time staying calm about it. He looked PO'd.
Good. He should have; just as everyone in that locker room should have.

Old
12-21-2011, 08:09 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
I refuse to look at the short term goals any longer. Terry wants to build this thing to last, well judging by the way the team plays... this product is not going to win a cup. It has nothing to do with wins and or losses it has to do with how the team plays and has played for years under Ruff.

Adding a player or two might fix a patch, but it's not going to fix the roof.
That's how I've felt for a few years now. There was a lot of excitement, deservedly so, for the fun offseason, but the issues are deeper than adding a few UFAs can fix.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:15 AM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought the Sabres played reasonably well in the first 2 periods although there was the occasional brain cramp. However the totally unforced errors especially on the power play were embarrrassing. Individual mistakes by younger players who were trying to do too much are one thing--and we saw that. But the steady dumb ass moves by experienced players--listen up Roy--is unforgiveable. This team has been making those mistakes prior to the big injury list but I will accept that without the NHL regulars in the lineup it is impossible to fairly assess what Ruff is now doing. I am going to look for some Prozac.........

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Refreshing --

- Kassian's post-game emotion. It's about time someone actually gets angry rather than dejected or despondent or the worst -- glib.
Considering Lindy already cut off his balls on the ice, it won't last long

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
Considering Lindy already cut off his balls on the ice, it won't last long
Eh, that's more Regier/Christiano last year telling him to tone it down. He's been pretty passive much of this recall but going back even into last year with the Spits -- he'll absorb contact as a way of making plays but outside of the Caps game back near Thanksgiving, his hitting is not there.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:48 AM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan213 View Post
A few days ago it was 'As bad as it's been we're still in 7th' and soon it's going to be 'as bad as it's been we're still in 12th'

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:52 AM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
So Winchester is concussed. File that under "Ugly"
The Gaustad hit clearly deserves a contract long suspension. I think Stafford and Roy had intent as well.

G- The Kids

B- Ruff blaming officiating. If anything, I thought the Sabres were given an edge.

U- The Core. Seriously. In my 30 years of watching hockey, I've never verbalized "Player X, I hope we effing trade you Jan 2.". I said it 3 times about Staff last night, and once about Roy. I've had enough.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
We are a mess right now. Anemic offensively, and very poor defensively.

- So wait, everyone who thought Weber would come in for MAG and be a savior, how is that working out? My God, is he awful.

- Miller was fantastic. Left out to dry all night long. Felt bad for the guy.

- The top line of V-R-P sucked hard. Roy is not the center they need. Vanek's injury showed. Pominville got belted during a scrum, and no one so much as looked Carkner's way. Glad to see we're back to ***** hockey.

- Is Stafford in the lineup right now? I can't tell, to be honest.

- Whitmore played well. He was a bright spot. Foligno was.... there. He could have scored had Kassian (I believe) made a better pass to him in front of the net.

This team is just.... oof. Rough, rough, rough. With the incredible amount of injuries, I'm not panicking. Not yet. If they're healthy and playing like this in February, I'll be holding down the panic button with both hands.
Getting Grags off the PP was a big plus last night. It took until the 3rd PP for Ruff to FINALLY put Leo/Hoff together on the points on the #1 unit. They scored and dare I say looked competent to good in the process.

As for Grags -vs- Weber, I choose McNabb.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:35 AM
fightclubber25

guys. they were playing like this when they were healthy. they had a decent start then crapped out quickly. the games they lost, they lost the same way theyre losing now. its not the injuries - in fact, the replacements have been the bright spots in my opinion.. there are a few players on this team that just dont get it or arent caring enough to change. ROY and STAFFORD and VANEK only play hard on the shifts they want, the nights they want, the weeks they want. if you want to fix this team, two of them need to go.. otherwise take your chances with a new coach.

sorry for the rant.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Getting Grags off the PP was a big plus last night. It took until the 3rd PP for Ruff to FINALLY put Leo/Hoff together on the points on the #1 unit. They scored and dare I say looked competent to good in the process.

As for Grags -vs- Weber, I choose McNabb.
seconded

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:40 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
seconded
He has been a breath of fresh air back there. Big, mean and solid defensively.

Add in a healthy Myers and we should be in good shape defensively.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
guys. they were playing like this when they were healthy. they had a decent start then crapped out quickly. the games they lost, they lost the same way theyre losing now. its not the injuries - in fact, the replacements have been the bright spots in my opinion.. there are a few players on this team that just dont get it or arent caring enough to change. ROY and STAFFORD and VANEK only play hard on the shifts they want, the nights they want, the weeks they want. if you want to fix this team, two of them need to go.. otherwise take your chances with a new coach.

sorry for the rant.
This. I'd add a few other players but yea.

Pretty much it.

Either look at the players who aren't playing hard or look at the coach and GM who brought them in and tried to teach them. Its not like these players have been here for a few months... most of them have had multiple contracts here. Its the GMs job to realize when players don't have "it" talent wise and emotional wise and its the coaches job to have everyone on the team ready to go. Lindy and Darcy have worked together long enough... Lindy should know what guys compete.

Its not just 1 or 2 guys. There are too many players who fall into this category.

Last edited by S319R11S16: 12-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old
12-21-2011, 10:07 AM
unte93

i heard often that every center can produce between Vanek an Pomms - for me it was only Adam when those 3 played their best. Why Ruff does not put him back there dosenīt get in my mind.

This was the line who was great from the start. I like Adams game right now and would like to see them back together

unte93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by unte93 View Post
i heard often that every center can produce between Vanek an Pomms - for me it was only Adam when those 3 played their best. Why Ruff does not put him back there dosenīt get in my mind.

This was the line who was great from the start. I like Adams game right now and would like to see them back together
Because putting Adam there would make sense. Can't have that.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Because putting Adam there would make sense. Can't have that.
I think he is protecting Adam as he should with a 21 year old kid. Its not really fair to put it on him to get that line going again.

Its amazing how things change in a few months. Many felt Adam was going to start in Rochester and now they feel he is being misused not centering the top line.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
I think he is protecting Adam as he should with a 21 year old kid. Its not really fair to put it on him to get that line going again.

Its amazing how things change in a few months. Many felt Adam was going to start in Rochester and now they feel he is being misused not centering the top line.
So he has him start the season on the top line as their center, but now 1/3 of the way into the season he's protecting him? Yeah, I don't buy that. It's also not about getting Vanek and Pominville going. It's about putting someone between them that fits.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
So he has him start the season on the top line as their center, but now 1/3 of the way into the season he's protecting him? Yeah, I don't buy that. It's also not about getting Vanek and Pominville going. It's about putting someone between them that fits.
Adam dug his own hole with some poor defensive zone plays and general lack of backchecking effort. Much like Boyes last year, once he started down that road, his scoring went with it. Now he's got less responsibility on LW and there has been some signs of life on the scoresheet.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote