HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Can't in Kanata, The (Dead) Beats Go On

Old
12-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Adam dug his own hole with some poor defensive zone plays and general lack of backchecking effort. Much like Boyes last year, once he started down that road, his scoring went with it. Now he's got less responsibility on LW and there has been some signs of life on the scoresheet.
I realize, and I had no problem calling him out when he started to become a passenger on that line. I also had no problem with Ruff taking him off the line.

However, that line just hasn't been as good since Adam was taken off of it. Whether or not Adam had a lot to do with their success or not is debatable, but at this point with the injuries there's no other decent options. Roy does nothing with Vanek and Pominville and Szczechura is just as much a passenger as Adam was. At least with Adam the line was putting up points on a consistent basis, which isn't the case now. Put him back there to see if it happens again.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Adam dug his own hole with some poor defensive zone plays and general lack of backchecking effort. Much like Boyes last year, once he started down that road, his scoring went with it. Now he's got less responsibility on LW and there has been some signs of life on the scoresheet.
Yes, and since then, regardless of play, Roy has gotten two cracks on that line and Adam has zero, despite VAP being the most productive line in the whole league through October. And I maintain that Pominville has been the best defensive center the top line has seen so far, so I don't think that Adam moving back between Vanek and Pominville would hurt.

At the very least, I'd rather take the risk and see Adam blow coverage as a winger than watch Roy leave people open in front of the net cause he's drifting towards where the puck is.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
Yes, but tell me what their record should be

/Schopp

Anyone else hear his crap today?
Schopp just sounds belligerent to people that call in the afternoon. The team isn't playing well, but no one that calls the station seems to be Schopp-approved to comment on it in any way.

The point is somewhat valid. The team has been missing a number of key players throughout the season, so what is the realistic expectation? However... it's the veteran players in the lineup that have hsit the bed... and that's really what's got everyone ticked about the team/coaching/management.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

As a neutral observer, someone needs to talk to Derek Roy about the diving. It's starting to get out of control.

I watched last night's game, and there were at least 2-3 times that he tried to sell a dive, the referee didn't buy it, and when the play went the other way, Roy was still down on his face.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
As a neutral observer, someone needs to talk to Derek Roy about the diving. It's starting to get out of control.

I watched last night's game, and there were at least 2-3 times that he tried to sell a dive, the referee didn't buy it, and when the play went the other way, Roy was still down on his face.
Been a career long problem, but he had settled down a bit last year, and up until about 15 games ago. He's back to his old tricks now.

It would be one thing if he was any good at it.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

I saw him do it once, but I was only kind of half watching the game.

He's been that way for a long time, and it's annoying as hell.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I saw him do it once, but I was only kind of half watching the game.

He's been that way for a long time, and it's annoying as hell.
I caught two, or at least once he was arguing for the call while on his face and didn't try to get up and make a play on the puck that ended up going right by him and getting cleared. The other was when he got into it with Karlsson.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 353
The Sabres need to address puck security. Way too many passes are off the mark. They have to quit thowing the puck in the general vicinity of a teammate with a wish and a prayer. The players need to hold themselves accountable. It starts with the captain. Pominville has to get together with the other leaders on the team and agree it's unacceptable and they're going to do something about it. Then they can start imposing fines. Ruff can scream at them until he's blue in the face. I'm sure he has. It's not going to make any difference until the players start holding each other accountable.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Pominville is a **** captain. Someone will balls please. I don't care if its someone like Conboy.

TakeThatTootoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:51 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
Pominville is a **** captain. Someone will balls please. I don't care if its someone like Conboy.
When I think of the problems this team is having, the captaincy is at the very bottom of the list.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
When I think of the problems this team is having, the captaincy is at the very bottom of the list.
Agreed, I was a big advocate of Vanek for captain but that is far from the top of the list of problems with this team. The problem with this team runs way deeper than that.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
Pomminville respects the game but he's not going to slap blue paint on his face and ride into the locker room mounted on a war horse while wielding a large sword. I guess he kind of takes the quiet confidence angle. Until we see the Sabres on a 24/7 series we will never know what kind of captain he is.

One thing I agree with you about is the fact that the Captain should lead on the ice. And when he pretty much submitted a 50/50 puck to a rookie early in that last Pens/Sabres game, I pretty much retracted my gonads behind my abdominal wall. It's not cool. having a soft team. But dusting off Gordie Howe and slapping a C on his face isn't going to inspire that team to become any tougher. They are who they are, and intimidation isn't a club they carry in their golf bag.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:13 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Pomminville respects the game but he's not going to slap blue paint on his face and ride into the locker room mounted on a war horse while wielding a large sword. I guess he kind of takes the quiet confidence angle. Until we see the Sabres on a 24/7 series we will never know what kind of captain he is.

One thing I agree with you about is the fact that the Captain should lead on the ice. And when he pretty much submitted a 50/50 puck to a rookie early in that last Pens/Sabres game, I pretty much retracted my gonads behind my abdominal wall. It's not cool. having a soft team. But dusting off Gordie Howe and slapping a C on his face isn't going to inspire that team to become any tougher. They are who they are, and intimidation isn't a club they carry in their golf bag.
Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown? The name fits...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:38 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I think we've seen both sides of Pominville's captaincy. He grew exponentially at the beginning of the season and the whole team seemed to play better the more responsibility he was getting, but more recently, we've seen him blowing coverage, losing battles and avoiding taking the hit to make the play.

The only captains to play at Pominville's intensity level (for lack of a better term) are either more elite than he is (Lidstrom/Sedin) or are the old guy on a young team (Hedjuk/Horcoff), and that still sorta worries me.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post

Also adding to that

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Except the problems are interrelated and dynamic. Listing them as you suggest is a silly, short-sighted perspective.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:47 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
The Sabres need to address puck security. Way too many passes are off the mark. They have to quit thowing the puck in the general vicinity of a teammate with a wish and a prayer. The players need to hold themselves accountable. It starts with the captain. Pominville has to get together with the other leaders on the team and agree it's unacceptable and they're going to do something about it. Then they can start imposing fines. Ruff can scream at them until he's blue in the face. I'm sure he has. It's not going to make any difference until the players start holding each other accountable.

Or punching guys in the face.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote