HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sabres vs Senators | The Why Is There Always an Edition Edition

View Poll Results: Grade Kyle Turris' Performance in His Debut
A+ 4 2.14%
A 14 7.49%
A- 47 25.13%
B+ 70 37.43%
B 40 21.39%
B- 8 4.28%
C+ 2 1.07%
C 1 0.53%
C- 0 0%
Something Worse 1 0.53%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Had you watched much of Turris before the trade?

I had probably watched Phoenix like twice in the past 2 years, and I never once sat there and watched Turris. Heard he was poor defensively....went back and have watched shifts from 4 different games, 2 from this year, 2 from last playoffs.

I concluded that "poor defensively" was likely just a misconception, much like fans blame for a goal can sometimes be misdirected because the camera guy couldn't figure out who was to blame so they just focus on the closest guy to the net after the goal...and all of a sudden fans are ripping that guy for no reason.

Tippett leaves Turris on bottom lines, must be poor defensively. He wasn't, he was very diligent in the games I watched.
He's not poor defensively at all, infact looking back, when I watched him in the BCHL he reminded me of what Kesler is now, a strong 2-way forward (minus the grit). He always had great speed to backcheck, and he was all over the ice. Turris is definitely more offensive-minded than he is defensively, but you can teach defense to a player. If the guy gets that confidence he has been lacking back and takes it slowly, he will be a stud for you guys, and I can easily see him becoming a solid 2-way guy for you guys.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
I was kidding, thought that was obvious. Just didnt understand why Filatov was sat over Butler when they were both here when I thought Filatov showed more.

Turris has a good game, he will definitely stay in the line-up. Hope it keeps going.
Whoops, with the way the board has been going lately it really is hard to tell.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

I already said that imo Turris was a B+ only because he didn't carry the line.

It's not really fair because in a close game where a rookie to this team taking a chance could have cost the game, a smart player would concentrate on defense. There was no way he'd let someone beat him for a goal. That's exactly how Turris played the whole game a bit tentative in the 1st, erring on the side of caution, mostly playing a bit high and peeling out to back check right away when the puck was leaving the O-zone. In the D-zone you could draw a box around the front of the net like on a pk and most of the time he was inside that box to defend. He's obviously received good defensive coaching. No worries there.

Like most of you I'm reserved about truly classifying his game until we see more opponents. For myself I'd like to see if he can carry the puck and lead the rush instead of just passing it off quickly. Letting Foligno carry the mail is safer for him but I'd like to see more puck handling now that he has those first game jitters under his belt.

One thing this game did tell me is that this guy is no raw mistake prone rookie so any perceived risk from this trade has already gone down 100 fold. He reads the game really well. Nice to know he just turned 22 this past August yet he can play so soundly at this level.

Have you ever seen such a pleasant smiling kid so excited to be here? Strictly from his own personal happiness level you'd think it was his first NHL team and first NHL game. During interviews he looks like a kid in a candy shop with $200 to spend.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Some people were pretty close to thinking we were getting a bust.
It's only one game. At least give him 15 games before declaring him a super hero or a bust. I still think, that long term, we lost in this trade.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
It's only one game. At least give him 15 games before declaring him a super hero or a bust. I still think, that long term, we lost in this trade.
I think in the short term and long term the Sens will win this trade. Turris is an NHL player now and is hands down more developed and just better overall than Rundblad. Long term, not sure if Rundblad's actually ability and assets will translate to the NHL/NA, no time and space for him out there nor does he have the natural skating ability/speed to give himself the time and space to make plays.

The 2nd rounder, Ottawa already has an extra 3rd and had 3 first round picks last year as well as signing Da Costa for nothing. They can afford that 2nd quite easily. The more they keep winning the worse that 2nd rounder gets as well.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:32 AM
BadMcFadden

Turris was good for his first game. I think we all wanted to see more offense out of him but it was explained that for your first game you'd rather just not be the goat that gets beat than try to be the hero. Makes sense to me.

I did see a few instances of his size/grit being an issue. There was one play where he was just pinned unmoving against the boards by a sabre. Most players stand their ground and can't be pinned like that...

I thought kuba stunk. He played lazy and poorly pretty much all game.

Alfie and foligno played awesome, as did Cowen and Karlsson.

BadMcFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:42 AM
TSA0402

I gave him a C+. Apart from that one amazing play in the third, he was being knocked off the puck quite easily and first two periods whenever he touched the puck it seemed to go almost immediately to the other team. Possibly nerves or a bit of rust. After the first shift(Anderson bailing him out), he played much better defensively to his credit.

IMO he is closing up his preseason, which explains some of the rust, but Im not going to give him an A just because people here thought he was **** from the getgo.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Xspyrit

Liked 2 comments from the GDT :

Quote:
Neil has one of the best troll faces in the world, without a doubt.
Quote:
Hahaha Neil talking **** on the way to celebrate
Neil is the best troll on earth. Look what he did as well :

Neil was +1, had 1 assist, 6 shots and threw 10 hits. Sorry Sabres, you got Neiled.

PS : didn't read the PGT yet but lol at the expected "criticism" of Turris from some people. "Nothing spectacular", "C+"... lol Were people really expecting a Sidney Crosby out there?

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:13 AM
pt_mck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Liked 2 comments from the GDT :

Neil is the best troll on earth. Look what he did as well :

Neil was +1, had 1 assist, 6 shots and threw 10 hits. Sorry Sabres, you got Neiled.

PS : didn't read the PGT yet but lol at the expected "criticism" of Turris from some people. "Nothing spectacular", "C+"... lol Were people really expecting a Sidney Crosby out there?
Neil loves playing against the sabres.

I don't know what people were expecting but for a young player on a new team with new linemates I don't think we could have gotten more from Turris. Gave him an A-

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Rundblad who?

Old
12-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Cowen and Karlsson were playing beast-like the entire time, and Phillips and Carkner were also fine just like tonight. Subbing Lee and Rundblad for Gonchar and Kuba made a huge difference.
Cowen yes, Karlsson no. Until recently there was a 7 or 8 game stretch where Karlsson was playing absolutely brutal defensive hockey.

However, if you actually believe that Rundblad was the sole reason that our team was giving up odd-man rushes all the power to you. That wasn't the case, but whatever you need to think to justify his move.

I'm just happy our defence finally looked responsible last night. Even Karlsson had few if any mistakes in his own zone.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
I think in the short term and long term the Sens will win this trade. Turris is an NHL player now and is hands down more developed and just better overall than Rundblad. Long term, not sure if Rundblad's actually ability and assets will translate to the NHL/NA, no time and space for him out there nor does he have the natural skating ability/speed to give himself the time and space to make plays.

The 2nd rounder, Ottawa already has an extra 3rd and had 3 first round picks last year as well as signing Da Costa for nothing. They can afford that 2nd quite easily. The more they keep winning the worse that 2nd rounder gets as well.
Second rounders seldom even make the NHL either, isn't it 25 to 33% make it?

'Regular' NHL 2nd rounders drafted by the Sens. (greater than 100 games)

2000: Vermette
1998: Fisher
1994: Neckar
1993: Bicanek

Probably doesn't help that we either trade them or draft Russians (which also indicates their 'value').

Last edited by Mercurial: 12-21-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:36 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Anyone see some similarities between Clowe and Smith? I haven't seen Zack play wing very much like I did tonight but I thought he played well. And they are both good physical two way players. What's even more interesting is how close Ryans numbers look compared to Smiths at the same time

Maybe Zack could turn into a top 6 winger afterall?

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:37 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
Of all defenseman he:
Leads the NHL points
Leads the NHL in Assists
2nd in shots
11th in icetime

On pace for 75 points
Sens fans don't realize how lucky we are to watch this guy every night. Truly an elite level talent. And he's still getting better.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Anyone see some similarities between Clowe and Smith? I haven't seen Zack play wing very much like I did tonight but I thought he played well. And they are both good physical two way players. What's even more interesting is how close Ryans numbers look compared to Smiths at the same time

Maybe Zack could turn into a top 6 winger afterall?
This idea that Zach Smith was truly playing left wing on that line is kind of ridiculous. I know that's how it was drawn up because Regin's shoulder strength isn't there yet so they don't want him on the boards. Smith took all the face-offs except when he was tossed and then Neil had to take it. After the face-off was taken that player (usually Smith) had to play the role of centre until they could reset their positions. So it was really a hybrid situation that probably confused the Buffalo checkers a bit.

That said Smith could easily fill-in at left wing on any line but I'm not sure that's the best place for him unless Regin proves he deserves the 3rd line centre spot. Stache may just be sheltering Regin until his shoulder regains power. I know some people will cry foul over moving Greening but it wouldn't surprise me if at some point when he's healthy Regin gets a try with Spezza and Alfie with Greening joining Smith and Neil on the 3rd line.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Cowen yes, Karlsson no. Until recently there was a 7 or 8 game stretch where Karlsson was playing absolutely brutal defensive hockey.

However, if you actually believe that Rundblad was the sole reason that our team was giving up odd-man rushes all the power to you. That wasn't the case, but whatever you need to think to justify his move.

I'm just happy our defence finally looked responsible last night. Even Karlsson had few if any mistakes in his own zone.
Karlsson may not have been a beast but he was fine. I also mentioned Lee if you noticed not just Rundblad. If you don't believe having Kuba and Gonchar made a difference all the power to you. And I'm not just talking about odd-man rushes, but actual scoring chances against.

Lower amount of scoring chances = less chance to score () = less goals against

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Pretty good overall opinion.

Both the "something worse" and "C" games were done by Leaf fans.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Cowen Time

Who did Karlsson make the sweet carom pass off the boards to and they had a break on net? Great pass.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Pretty good overall opinion.

Both the "something worse" and "C" games were done by Leaf fans.
Jealous we may have 3 centers in the organization that will be better than any of theirs in the next 2-3 years.

And 2 Dmen potentially better than any of their 1.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Minister of Offence

FYI, Scanlan's article states he let family and friends decide on #7. For whatever reason.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
Who did Karlsson make the sweet carom pass off the boards to and they had a break on net? Great pass.
To Greening.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:39 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
To Greening.
He might've been sarcastic about a lazy play by Karlsson yesterday in our own zone. Off the boards, turn over, scoring chance for Buffalo.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS View Post
I was hoping Konopka would actually make himself useful and do that. I'm finding nowadays that Neil is too important of a player for the Sens to be spending 5 mins in the box.

I agree with you. I gave him a B+ grade but only because of his fantastic second effort and pass on the Sens 2nd goal. Otherwise, he didn't do any more than Filatov did when he was in the lineup. But this was also his first game with the Sens, so that assist means quite a bit.
Konopka seems like a good locker room guy but he sucks at fighting.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
FYI, Scanlan's article states he let family and friends decide on #7. For whatever reason.
and they're fans of rundblad?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
and they're fans of rundblad?
I just assumed Turris was a Rundblad fan. Must have seen him on youtube.