HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Texas win the right to Yu Darvish... Meanwhile, Jays fans are jumping off the cliff

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
If the report is true that the Jays actually bid around $50 million, I have more faith in AA than before. It shows his ability to predict market value of a player. A valuable trait to have as a GM.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Dwight K Schrute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in White View Post
If the report is true that the Jays actually bid around $50 million, I have more faith in AA than before. It shows his ability to predict market value of a player. A valuable trait to have as a GM.
Bit of a stretch. I think he is a great gm, but come on.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:30 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

sounding more and more like Heyman is an agent for Boras. He keeps starting Fielder rumours that are being disregarded by gm's of the respective teams. Mariners gm now saying he has no idea where the new rumour involving them and a contract being laid out are false. I would suggest we all stop posting any rumours that originate from him.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:35 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

I feel Matt Latos would get eaten alive in the East because from what I've heard he's a groundball pitcher which doesn't always workout well when you have speed and hitting like the Yanks and Sox, but I'm not 100% sure can anyone clarify?

Old
12-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I hope Darvish does well.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:41 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolungoReboundo View Post
I feel Matt Latos would get eaten alive in the East because from what I've heard he's a groundball pitcher which doesn't always workout well when you have speed and hitting like the Yanks and Sox, but I'm not 100% sure can anyone clarify?

You are better off being a groundball pitcher than a flyball pitcher in AL East considering the bandboxes Yankees and Red Sox play in. Even Tropicana and Camden are favoured towards hitting. Rogers too.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:42 PM
GeneralSwell

I usually really enjoy reading through this thread to catch up on my blue jays info, but some of you so called hardcore fans have been just as insufferable as those calling for AA and Rogers' head.

Various news outlets led most casual fans to believe that the Jays were indeed going to land Yu. Instead, Toronto sports fans were dealt just another blow. This alone really isn't that big of a deal, but this city is so starved for a successful team that the lumps keep adding up.

Let some of the fans vent for a day or two. No need to call into account their allegiance to the team and stake your claim as a superior fan. I mean, if they can't vent on an internet message board, where can they? Ignore them if it bothers you that much. No need to act so damn condescending and spout that you were at xx game in the middle of the season when there was only 10,000 fans there.

And for what it's worth, you guys need these 'bandwagon' fans. You need their butts to fill the seats. I'll never understand the 'don't' let the door hit your ass on the way out argument.

Anyways, just the opinion of someone who really enjoys reading through this thread but rarely posts in it. Hopefully we can all get back to getting along and looking forward to what AA has in store next!

Old
12-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of hate for AA.

I think he's done a fantastic job. Sometimes thinks take a bit longer then normal. I have faith. Just my $0.02.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:00 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

any idea when arbitration ends for our remaining players?

Old
12-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Latos doesn't get all that many groundballs (around 43-44%). Romero is a groundball pitcher who gets 50%+ groundballs like Doc. He is a flyball pitcher like Morrow though he gets slightly more groundballs.

Also, you want groundball pitchers in the AL East. I have no idea why you would want flyballs considering how homer friendly AL East parks are and how lethal the hitters are.

EDIT: that being said, you can be great being a flyball pitcher if you're effective at getting flyballs.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:05 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralSwell View Post
I usually really enjoy reading through this thread to catch up on my blue jays info, but some of you so called hardcore fans have been just as insufferable as those calling for AA and Rogers' head.

Various news outlets led most casual fans to believe that the Jays were indeed going to land Yu. Instead, Toronto sports fans were dealt just another blow. This alone really isn't that big of a deal, but this city is so starved for a successful team that the lumps keep adding up.

Let some of the fans vent for a day or two. No need to call into account their allegiance to the team and stake your claim as a superior fan. I mean, if they can't vent on an internet message board, where can they? Ignore them if it bothers you that much. No need to act so damn condescending and spout that you were at xx game in the middle of the season when there was only 10,000 fans there.

And for what it's worth, you guys need these 'bandwagon' fans. You need their butts to fill the seats. I'll never understand the 'don't' let the door hit your ass on the way out argument.

Anyways, just the opinion of someone who really enjoys reading through this thread but rarely posts in it. Hopefully we can all get back to getting along and looking forward to what AA has in store next!
The problem is for the most part the people posting all these complaints aren't people that post around here with the exception of a few. It's annoying for people that follow the team closely get told how bad AA is or how cheap rogers is and add nothing to the argument. Like you I enjoy reading through the threads and usually have pretty good back or forth's with other posters. All told within a few days they'll all be gone again and things can get back to normal.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:33 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
The problem is for the most part the people posting all these complaints aren't people that post around here with the exception of a few. It's annoying for people that follow the team closely get told how bad AA is or how cheap rogers is and add nothing to the argument. Like you I enjoy reading through the threads and usually have pretty good back or forth's with other posters. All told within a few days they'll all be gone again and things can get back to normal.
On a side note to the op, you highlight some great points and that it's unnecessary to overreact on an internet forum board.

To further dred's point, it's annoying to have uneducated bandwagon fans jump in and claim they know what the Jays have to do or that Rogers/AA are the reasons the Jays aren't spending money etc etc. I want more people to be into the Jays, but maybe for some to steady their way into it before placing all the their frustrations with the Leafs onto the Jays. The bandwagon/casual fans are the ones that annoy me with the Leafs; you know the ones that start talking about how Tampa can't re-sign Stamkos, NYI can't re-sign Tavares, so and so is coming to Toronto!!! Some people don't understand that it's not always about the money or the rich history a team holds, even for professional athletes...

Old
12-21-2011, 12:52 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Well, if I ever get sick of reading hte doomsayer posts, I'll just make my own Jays forum. With blackjack. And hookers.

Seriously though, we'll be just fine. 500 finish or not, last season was a blast to watch most of the time.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-21-2011, 01:10 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Yeah, since I'm not that fired up about the Jays (though the last couple seasons have drawn me in) I'm willing to wait and see how the offseason goes. Lot of good potential with this team and hope going forward. Hopefully of course they continue to get better for the sake of the fans who have stuck with them.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:12 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Latos doesn't get all that many groundballs (around 43-44%). Romero is a groundball pitcher who gets 50%+ groundballs like Doc. He is a flyball pitcher like Morrow though he gets slightly more groundballs.

Also, you want groundball pitchers in the AL East. I have no idea why you would want flyballs considering how homer friendly AL East parks are and how lethal the hitters are.

EDIT: that being said, you can be great being a flyball pitcher if you're effective at getting flyballs.
Ahh makes perfect sense my bad I was just going off of hearsay, thanks for clarifying that. Anyways I wouldn't be surprised if AA lands Garza for a decent price but don't be surprised if its a top of the rotation arm that comes completely out of left feild non of the names being thrown around. Maybe a guy like Wainwright out of Stl but whatever happens its going to be interesting.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Wainwright will probably be needed in St.Louis more than ever now, but I agree that it may be a starting pitcher off the grid.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:09 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Here's what I don't get...All of these people *****ing about how much they hate Rogers and what not. So why they hell are you still talking about them?
So you're just suggesting we pack up shop and go cheer for the Yankees? Sorry, doesn't work like that.

The posters questioning the Jays methods are already being castrated on here for "not being true fans".

I'm sorry, everyone is entitled to their POV but defending Rogers doesn't get you a special club-card to act entitled around here.

There's a lot of regular posters in this thread who's input I completely respect but we are just on completely different pages when it comes to our interpretation of the messages coming from the Jays front-office. Differing opinions isnt a horrible thing and I'm definitely not alone with my views along with other long-time fans.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:13 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
sounding more and more like Heyman is an agent for Boras. He keeps starting Fielder rumours that are being disregarded by gm's of the respective teams. Mariners gm now saying he has no idea where the new rumour involving them and a contract being laid out are false. I would suggest we all stop posting any rumours that originate from him.
Been this way for the past 2 offseasons at least.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:16 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Groundball pitching works out best in the AL East because of the respective ball-parks, especially with the new Yankee Stadium taking that stereotype to the 'nth degree.

At the end of your day you have to play to your park regardless of division. We need to be a hitting team, it's just that the starting rotation doesn't need to be SUCH a mess consistency-wise.

We need another bat. It's not as redundant as it would be in another division.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:19 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralSwell View Post

+1

My vote for the voice of reason.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:06 AM
GeneralSwell

Here's an interesting quote I found ON MLBTR

Quote:
Dan Hayes of the North County Times hears the Rays are one of the teams that has asked the Padres about Anthony Rizzo (Twitter link). However, the Padres, who have been flooded with interest, aren't matching up that well with the Rays at this point, according to Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio and ESPN.com
Does anyone else feel like this could be a player AA is interested in? If I recall correctly, he was one of the top prospects to be called up last year. He had .331/.404/.652 line in AAA with 26 HR and 101 RBI through 356 ABs before his call up.

Or do you think he's looking for someone more proven at the major league level?

Old
12-21-2011, 03:18 AM
VanJaysFan*

This is the Rizzo from the AGon trade correct? (on my mobile, cant google)

No idea why he's getting major interest but fighting with the Rays for acquisitions after this past week is akin to kicking a guy while he's already down.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:24 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
This is the Rizzo from the AGon trade correct? (on my mobile, cant google)

No idea why he's getting major interest but fighting with the Rays for acquisitions after this past week is akin to kicking a guy while he's already down.
They just acquired Alonso. If the Rays' aren't matching up well with the amount they have to offer, then the Padres must have a seemingly high price.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:37 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

What would it cost to get Gallardo from Milwaukee? any ideas? He seems to have tonnes of upside from the scouting reports I've read would it cost a leg and an arm? Considering the Brewers seem to have been royally ****ed by Braun's substance abuse scandal and not signing Fielder (from the looks of it) + they already have Grienke, Marcum and Wolf. What do you guys think?

Old
12-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

I'd say he's in a Tier three among NL starting pitching, perhaps Tier two:

Tier 1:
Tim Lincecum
Cliff Lee
Clayton Kershaw
Cole Hamels
Roy Halladay

Tier 2:
Josh Johnson
Matt Cain
Zack Grienke
Chris Carpenter
Adam Wainwright

Tier 3:
Mat Latos
Matt Garza
?

Brewers have absolutely no need to trade him, and with Grienke being a free-agent after this year (I think Marcum too?), keeping him is a must to ensure they still have some quality pitching.

Closed Thread