Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2011, 10:36 PM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
They really need to play 60 mins. If they had played full 60 mins with 100%, they would have won. They really need to start putting together some win streaks.
Any team can say this.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:36 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Better idea get rid of the shootout, I love watching teams make or miss the playoffs based on something that has nothing to do with the game.
No kidding it's like the NFL having teams kicking field goals to determine the outcome of a tie.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

disappointed

Old
12-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
No kidding it's like the NFL having teams kicking field goals to determine the outcome of a tie.
OT is still refered to as a Shootout at times.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
A cold goalie in the last minute of the OT with enough time for a rush? Where do I sign up?
It worked with changing Goldberg for Julie "The Cat" Gaffney in D2 The Mighty Ducks.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
You sure that it's still allowed? Don't think it's such a stretch that they might have changed the rules since that 05-06 season. I would read that as when the OT is over, you can't change goalies. Seems like it would be the reason the rule is there.

Anyway, I'm really against the whole idea.
Ok I guess that I cannot confirm, but it does not seem like the type of thing they would make a rule against. Again not saying I am for sure for it, but something needs to be done, Pavs is AWFUL in shootouts.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Ok I guess that I cannot confirm, but it does not seem like the type of thing they would make a rule against. Again not saying I am for sure for it, but something needs to be done, Pavs is AWFUL in shootouts.
Mason in OT can't be worse than Pavs in a SO

Old
12-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Scoreburn

Disappointed with the choices for the shootout.

Wheeler should not have gone at all. The guy has 3 goals on the season and has shown that he cant finish multiple times this year.

I can see Wellwood getting a chance since he had a good game but put him first in the shootout.

Burmi should have been the second shooter. He has the skills to undress a goalie.

Also I wouldn't have minded Stapleton getting a shot in the shootout. He has some decent hands and a good shot when he is forced to use it.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:43 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 851
Jets got out played tonight. Overall fortunate to get a point. Our D looked lost at times. Hopefully our top 6 D can gell. They missed Little bigtime. Lately he has been the main engine for the offence. On the whole Jets are right about where they should be in the standings. We are in the hunt, but not yet a true contender.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
It worked with changing Goldberg for Julie "The Cat" Gaffney in D2 The Mighty Ducks.
Yes, but Mason doesn't have Julie's, dare I say, 'Cat like' reflexes!

Ok, I'm tired. Good night.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Just got back from the game. Thoughts:

Crowd and MTSC:

-Thought the pre game production was great, really top notch
-A little boring between periods but I'm sure it will get better
-Crowd was pretty quiet tonight. When the get loud thing came on, during Go Jets Go and when the Jets scored it got super loud
-Could not get the wave going, pretty sad really.
-People need to learn how to taunt the goalie. Not much you can do with Al Montoya (a guy in our section was saying Al Man-toy-ah which was funny). When Nabokov came out people were saying "Nab-a-kov!" Isn't it common knowledge you go 2 syllables? Some people were saying "Bock-ov" which was a bit better I suppose, but the proper taunt is "Nah-bie!"
Anyway that's nitpicking I think.

Onto the game:

- I'm starting to get a little worried. The Jets haven't played well for 3 games now. The only reason we got a point tonight is that Montoya wasn't very good. Both Isles goalies were substandard but we didn't do enough to beat them.

Byfuglien/ Enstrom is scary. There, I said it. Did not like it. I know part of that is Enstrom's rust, but you can see that both these guys like to jump up in the play which led to some frightening moments.

Oduya started weak but I thought got much stronger as the night went along.

Stuart was abysmal tonight. So much so he was dragging down Bogosian who was average at best.

Hainsey was very good IMHO. He was our most steady D again, and the guy I didn't worry about when he was on the ice.

Going forward I would like to see:

Hainsey/ Enstrom
Byfuglien/ Oduya (I know this pair was scary earlier in the year but much better the last few weeks.)
Stuart/ Bogosian

Kane is going to seriously hurt himself driving the net one of these days. I also thought that it was ******** that Nabokov rubbed him out and didn't get a penalty. If goalies are going to do that behind the net they should be fair game.

Burmi got corked, as did Enstrom. I thought we could have been more physical. We were flat for most of the first half of the game.

I wonder if being home around christmas is affecting the team. I sure hope they aren't satisfied with being 2 games above .500, cause they were not hungry tonight.

12-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryOfStyx View Post
Disappointed with the choices for the shootout.

Wheeler should not have gone at all. The guy has 3 goals on the season and has shown that he cant finish multiple times this year.

I can see Wellwood getting a chance since he had a good game but put him first in the shootout.

Burmi should have been the second shooter. He has the skills to undress a goalie.

Also I wouldn't have minded Stapleton getting a shot in the shootout. He has some decent hands and a good shot when he is forced to use it.
I support putting Welly second in shoot-outs. He is very cool under pressure -- not a guy to get rattled at all if their first shot scores, and ours doesn't.

I do take back a bit of what I said about Wheeler. His career shoot-out percentages are actually right with Wellwood's -- both are just above 33%, which is the best on our team other than Ladd (who has a smaller sample size) and top fifth in the league -- although realistically higher, since the stat rankings are distorted by a bunch of guys that are like 1/1 or 1/2 for career shootouts.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Oduya played great when he was paired with Buff, not good tonight with Hainsey. Jets won a lot of games with Hainsey out of the line-up, he's they guy I would move, you might even pry a guy like Brassard for him.
Hainsey was our best D tonight. He will get even better when his timing and conditioning is at his peak. Enstrom needs a few games to get back and we need guys to get used to one another again.

If you were to sit anyone, IMO it's Stuart ATM. He hasn't been good lately and was particularily bad tonight.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:54 PM
blues10

Hockey is a team game and there were some issues with team play at MTSC tonight. The fan experience was and will always be top notch despite the constant fan cam.

I will only comment once per game on this.

Enstrom is no Lidstrom lite. He'd be lucky to hold Lidstrom's jock strap.

Poor decisions, poor puck movement, no finish, muscled off the puck consistently.

I will say it again if he is not the first Jet traded he will be the 1st major trade the team makes.

He is awful. I have excellent ST and can witness his poor play in person that the camera may not have caught.

Good riddance. Flood and Kulda make about 1/4 of his errors and he brings out the worst in Buff.

I could care less how long he has been out with injury.

Proudly booing Enstrom at MTSC.

Talk about an over rated player.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Why not:

Bogo/Enstrom
Stuart/Buff
Hainsey/Oduya

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Hockey is a team game and there were some issues with team play at MTSC tonight. The fan experience was and will always be top notch despite the constant fan cam.

Poor decisions, poor puck movement, no finish, muscled off the puck consistently.

I will say it again if he is not the first Jet traded he will be the 1st major trade the team makes.

He is awful. I have excellent ST and can witness his poor play in person that the camera may not have caught.

Good riddance. Flood and Kulda make about 1/4 of his errors and he brings out the worst in Buff.

You should've posted the disclaimer *never seen Enstrom before this year and also not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.* Would've saved me the trouble of reading this drivel.

Last edited by atl thrasher344: 12-20-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old
12-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Just got back from the game. Thoughts:

Crowd and MTSC:

-Thought the pre game production was great, really top notch
-A little boring between periods but I'm sure it will get better
-Crowd was pretty quiet tonight. When the get loud thing came on, during Go Jets Go and when the Jets scored it got super loud
-Could not get the wave going, pretty sad really.
-People need to learn how to taunt the goalie. Not much you can do with Al Montoya (a guy in our section was saying Al Man-toy-ah which was funny). When Nabokov came out people were saying "Nab-a-kov!" Isn't it common knowledge you go 2 syllables? Some people were saying "Bock-ov" which was a bit better I suppose, but the proper taunt is "Nah-bie!"
Anyway that's nitpicking I think.

Onto the game:

- I'm starting to get a little worried. The Jets haven't played well for 3 games now. The only reason we got a point tonight is that Montoya wasn't very good. Both Isles goalies were substandard but we didn't do enough to beat them.

Byfuglien/ Enstrom is scary. There, I said it. Did not like it. I know part of that is Enstrom's rust, but you can see that both these guys like to jump up in the play which led to some frightening moments.

Oduya started weak but I thought got much stronger as the night went along.

Stuart was abysmal tonight. So much so he was dragging down Bogosian who was average at best.

Hainsey was very good IMHO. He was our most steady D again, and the guy I didn't worry about when he was on the ice.

Going forward I would like to see:

Hainsey/ Enstrom
Byfuglien/ Oduya (I know this pair was scary earlier in the year but much better the last few weeks.)
Stuart/ Bogosian

Kane is going to seriously hurt himself driving the net one of these days. I also thought that it was ******** that Nabokov rubbed him out and didn't get a penalty. If goalies are going to do that behind the net they should be fair game.

Burmi got corked, as did Enstrom. I thought we could have been more physical. We were flat for most of the first half of the game.

I wonder if being home around christmas is affecting the team. I sure hope they aren't satisfied with being 2 games above .500, cause they were not hungry tonight.

Very good summation Jet.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:59 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Post-game Audio

Audio from Pavelec, Antropov, Ladd and Stuart. Click here to listen.

Audio from Grabner, Hamonic and coach Capuano. Click here to listen.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:01 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 851
Quote:

I don't know if I would go this far, but I'm still waiting to be impressed by Enstrom. With the development of Bogo, Enstrom might get us the top line forward we really need. Despite Wheelers improved play someone who can really produce would be nice with Kane and Little.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:02 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Stole a point tonight. The team (with the exception of Pavs) didn't play good enough to win. Pavs is the reason we got a point. We need to be better for next game.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Afterburner 230
Rookie User

Far to many turnovers from start to finish; it wasn't the shootout that lost us the game. Sloppy play by us coupled with the tight formation the Islanders were playing (mainly early on).

OT: The ladies I sat next too today could've been Emma Stone and a thick Blonde sister raspy voices and all(Their first game).

Old
12-20-2011, 11:06 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Why not:

Bogo/Enstrom
Stuart/Buff
Hainsey/Oduya

You should've posted the disclaimer *never seen Enstrom before this year and not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.* Would've saved me the trouble of reading this drivel.

Disclaimer I will make more than one comment tonight regarding Enstrom but promise this will be the last.

I've seen him play before, for years, never been impressed. I didn't just fall of the snowmobile last week.

His decision making is extremely poor. Buff's defensive game has been turning around slowly and this guy hangs Buff out to dry.

His poor play really needs to witnessed live at the arena. I can't believe the amount of times that he is out muscled for the puck in his own end, simply not strong enough to handle the likes of a Tavares.

Last edited by blues10: 12-20-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: sp.
Old
12-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Hammer Slammer
#MBMoose

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I suck at summations, so I won't do that. Jet did a pretty good one. It was nice to meet Mr. AndersUlfBobby who sat right behind me. I didn't even get your name, but if you read this, mine's Anthony. Anywho...

This is the first NHL game I've been to post-lockout so it was cool to see a shootout in the first one. Too bad we're not that great at them. I think they should start ending practices with a shootout if they don't already (much like what the Pens do).

That was fun and I wish to do it again some day.

12-20-2011, 11:08 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I don't know if I would go this far, but I'm still waiting to be impressed by Enstrom. With the development of Bogo, Enstrom might get us the top line forward we really need. Despite Wheelers improved play someone who can really produce would be nice with Kane and Little.
Bingo

See you guys at the Habs game.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:09 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Disclaimer I will make more than one comment tonight regarding Enstrom but promise this will be the last.

I've seen him play before, for years, never been impressed. I didn't just fall of the snowmobile last week.

His decision making is extremely poor. Buff's defensive game has been turning around slowly and this guy hangs Buff out to dry.

His poor play really needs to witnessed live at the arena. I can't believe the amount of times that he is out muscled for the puck in his own end, simply not srong enough to handle the likes of a Tavares.
I really have a hard time believing that you've watched him play for years and can say these things. Many, many people put him in the top-15 in the NHL, but they must be idiots, right?

Closed Thread