HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Living in Ottawa or Gatineau?

Old
12-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexytime View Post
Who the hell complains that much about sun in your eyes... just look down or wear shades. I'm honestly laughing my ass off wondering what other "major" things in the world bother you.
Lol It definitely bothers me. I like to see where I'm driving. And shades make it too dark.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
FreakyBunny

I've lived in Orleans off and on for over 30 years and I just recently bought a home there. I agree...live near work for less money, and commute for leisure. The buses aren't all that bad if you want to enjoy a few drinks downtown and come home later.

I lived in Quebec for a couple of years and was shocked by the taxes. I think you would be crazy to live in Gatineau if you worked in Orleans.

FreakyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:44 PM
sexytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Lol It definitely bothers me. I like to see where I'm driving. And shades make it too dark.
My eyes are so radiant it bothers the sun so it wears sunglasses this is called night time...

I think I just made a chuck norris fact...

sexytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

As frequently as possible to this day, I avoid driving from the east towards the west when the sun is low in the late afternoon / early evening. I sure wouldn't plan a long commute that forced me in that situation every day. That's why I've always chosen to live somewhat east or south of my daytime employment where I had the sun mostly at my back or on the unoccupied passenger side coming home.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:40 PM
sexytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
As frequently as possible to this day, I avoid driving from the east towards the west when the sun is low in the late afternoon / early evening. I sure wouldn't plan a long commute that forced me in that situation every day. That's why I've always chosen to live somewhat east or south of my daytime employment where I had the sun mostly at my back or on the unoccupied passenger side coming home.
So you guys find jobs that are solar-system friendly?

Old
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
ahjnkn

My advice would be to get a place between Bronson and Preston or near St Laurent if you want a shorter commute time and prefer more store options (much uglier area of the city though), rent runs between 700 and 1150 per month, with a car probly $40-80 per month for the parking. People tend to underexagerate the commute time between Ottawa and Orleans, I find it quite far from Ottawa personally, especially on the bus.

ahjnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:50 PM
sexytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjnkn View Post
My advice would be to get a place between Bronson and Preston or near St Laurent if you want a shorter commute time and prefer more store options (much uglier area of the city though), rent runs between 700 and 1150 per month, with a car probly $40-80 per month for the parking. People tend to underexagerate the commute time between Ottawa and Orleans, I find it quite far from Ottawa personally, especially on the bus.
Exactly it depends on where in Orleans too... personally I wouldn't rent anywhere near there... too far, too boring, and you'll always have to consider the long commute everytime you want to go out. You could always go for Smyth, Lees, Lyce Claudel Buildings which are right off of the transit way... thats what I would choose.

Time to Rideau... and you'll get a bus within 5 minutes waiting time because they're high traffic areas, and the buses run 24 hours or really late for the most part.

Smyth: 8 minutes
Lyce Claudel: 7 Minutes
Lees: 5 Minutes

Old
12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
The Camera Eye

I had heard overall rent is cheaper in Gatineau, but I wasn't aware how much more in taxes the Ontario side saves. This puts the advantage towards Ottawa for now. Also if people are saying most of Gatineau and Orleans are very suburban driven I may want to stay clear of those areas. Not that I hate the suburb, but based on my currently lifestyle it seems the city suits my needs a little bit more. I also don't mind a commute as long as it's less than a 30 minute drive. If a drive from Gatineau to Orleans will regularly be 45 minutes or more it just wouldn't be worth it.

Really appreciate the responses, I've taken each post into consideration. I guess I've narrowed it down to the Hull area and sections in downtown Ottawa. I just want to live somewhere that I'll enjoy nightlife, culture, meet plenty of other young people with similar interests, etc... And just a note, I definately prefer a good city experience overall versus a poor commute to work. Even if I lived 5 minutes away from work it wouldn't make up for me not liking the city I was in.

PS- If it helps you guys recommend me a good section of the city of Ottawa, I will be making about 40k a year before taxes at the start. A rent of $750 a month sounds about right.

The Camera Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
The Camera Eye

Quote:
Exactly it depends on where in Orleans too... personally I wouldn't rent anywhere near there... too far, too boring, and you'll always have to consider the long commute everytime you want to go out. You could always go for Smyth, Lees, Lyce Claudel Buildings which are right off of the transit way... thats what I would choose.

Time to Rideau... and you'll get a bus within 5 minutes waiting time because they're high traffic areas, and the buses run 24 hours or really late for the most part.

Smyth: 8 minutes
Lyce Claudel: 7 Minutes
Lees: 5 Minutes
RE the bolded....this is what I'm thinking, I wouldn't want it to be a chore everytime I wanted to go downtown Ottawa (especially at night) if I lived in Orleans. Google maps says Orleans to Ottawa is 15km = 15mins and Hull to Orleans is about 20 mins. I'd assume this is with no traffic at all though. Would it be double time or even trippled during rush hour traffic?

Old
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
So you guys find jobs that are solar-system friendly?
In my case
Job = no
Home = yes

Found a long term job and then decided where to buy the house. Chose south east location with the shortest commute and the price point and neighborhood that suited our growing family.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:38 PM
The Camera Eye

Taken some overall notes on the responses here:
- Ottawa would trump Gatineau in tax savings
- Ottawa lifestyle seems to suit my personal needs
- May want to consider Gatineau if very low income
- Gatineau better for active lifestyle
- Orleans if I want to spend less than Ottawa
- Live in Orleans if I want to avoid annoying commutes to work every day
- Avoid Vanier
- Old Ottawa East/Centretown potential options and some of the sections I've seen come across in this thread include:
Glebe, Elgin St, Market, Sandy Hill, Bronson and Preston
- Hull better rent than Ottawa

How does Hull compare to downtown Ottawa in entertainment/nightlife/things to do? I'll be taking a trip into all these areas on the January 6-7-8 weekend by myself to check out all these places. Gonna try getting a ticket for Philly vs. Ottawa on Jan 8th also.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:40 PM
ThrowInA2ndRounder

ottawa is pretty spread out so unless you like traffic i'd suggest living somewhat close to orleans; plus busing downtown to bars (etc) isnt that bad on the 95 bus as it runs so often you wont have to wait very long... in gatineau its pretty bad for bars and clubs as its crowded with young kids; so it really comes down to the atmosphere that you want

ThrowInA2ndRounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Something just occurred to me:

Why don't you use Google Maps Street view. It might be a couple of years out of date depending on the city and area but it's a great way to go down a street like St Joseph in Orleans. Just type in the street address of your future employer and "drive" around. A good computer with a high end graphics card will let you check out the whole neighborhood pretty quickly.

You can also scan the overview maps for terrain, roadways etc.. Google can be your friend.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
- Avoid Vanier
- Old Ottawa East/Centretown potential options and some of the sections I've seen come across in this thread include:

How does Hull compare to downtown Ottawa in entertainment/nightlife/things to do? I'll be taking a trip into all these areas on the January 6-7-8 weekend by myself to check out all these places. Gonna try getting a ticket for Philly vs. Ottawa on Jan 8th also.
Ottawa defiantly has a better night life suited for you considering all factors. Hull is more for university first years i.e 18 year olds.

That said if you lived in hull near one of the bridges closed to down town, it is not far at all to go to the market area where most of the night life is in Ottawa.

To give you a better understanding, Portage, the place where Hull has most of it's nightlife is about a 10 minute bus ride from the Market.

Also if your a beer person your gonna want to buy your supplies in Quebec thats for sure lol.

I recommend a place around by-ward market. It may be hard to find rent for 750 however, so south hull close to one of the two bridges that goes downtown could be a good option. Your looking at a 30 minute drive to work.

Last edited by Bure: 12-22-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 07:28 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
- Avoid Vanier

For the commute, you need to differentiate between living in Ottawa and commuting to Orleans, vs. living in Gatineau/Hull and commuting to Orleans. You indicated you are driving, so based on that, I see three levels.

1. - Live in Orleans and hassle free.

2. - Live in Ottawa, and driving to Orleans will be pretty hassle free and about a 20-30 minute commute to St. Joseph, depending on where you live. You are reverse commuting with 80% of the traffic heading downtown, and the reverse in the evening. Bit of satisfaction clipping along and seeing the cars bumping and grinding in the other direction.

3. Live in Gatineau/Hull, which will require bumping and grinding to and across the bridge and to the highway. Depending on where you live, add 15-20 minutes to your commute.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
utah

Quote:
I will be making about 40k a year before taxes at the start. A rent of $750 a month sounds about right.
Just some food for thought, as you analyze your options.

Personal Income tax on $40k per year:

Ontario - $6072
Quebec - $8001

Difference is just under $2,000. Your rent of $750 a month in Hull, is like spending just over $900 a month in Ontario. That's because you'll be paying an extra $166 a month in personal income tax, if you live in Quebec.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote