HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying my first NHL Jersey - need some help with size

Old
12-18-2011, 02:38 PM
beth

vCash: 500
Buying my first NHL Jersey - need some help with size

I've got a gift certificate for the holidays so I can finally buy an NHL jersey of my own. But I'm a little confused about the size and I need to get it right.

The only jersey references that I have are:

My CCM practice jersey in Medium, which fits me perfectly. According to their size chart, it's 23" pit-to-pit, and 31" top to bottom.

My team jersey, Athletic Knit brand, which is size Large and according to their charts is made for a 48-50" chest. This jersey is a bit big on me.

Okay, so when I look at the size charts for the NHL Premier jersey,
Code:
Jersey Size	   Front Hem to Bottom	   Back Hem to Bottom	   Chest/Pit to Pit
S	                  30"	                           33"	                         26"
M	                  30 1/2"	                   34"	                         26 1/2"
L	                  31"	                           34 1/2"	                 27 1/2"
XL	                  31 1/2"	                   35 1/2"	                 28 1/2"
XXL	                  34"	                           37"                          30 1/2"
XXXL	                  36"	                           38"	                         33"
XXXXL	          36 1/8"	                   38 1/8"	                 34"
Pit-to-pit, the Small seems bigger than my CCM jersey, but the length is shorter. So I'm not sure what to do? I'm leaning towards a medium because I don't want it to be too short, but I don't want to be swimming in it either.

HELP!

Last edited by beth: 12-18-2011 at 02:44 PM.
beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:06 PM
SouthpawTRK

The NHL replicas that I have are size large; same size as my CCM practice jersey and RBK platinum jersey. I also have AK jerseys for the beer league team that I'm on in size XL. To me the AK's fit a bit smaller than the CCM/RBK jerseys; but just have a longer sleeve.

Are you going to be wearing the jersey to skate in at stick/puck? If you are then it may not hurt to buy it in large (a little bit more room usually isn't a bad thing). But, if you are going to wear it to games (as a spectator), then you may want to stick with the medium.

Does your local rink/LHS have NHL premier jerseys? If so, you may want to try one on before making the final purchase. If you are buying it from NHL.com; you could always return it if it's not the right size.

Hopefully this is helpful

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:58 PM
beth

Yeah, I want to wear it with my gear, so I want to be sure it fits over it. But I don't want it to be too big, because my large team jersey is too big in the sleeves and it bugs me.

I probably just need to make the trek to the closest store that may have them. But I'm being lazy.

Old
12-18-2011, 04:32 PM
beth

Hey SouthpawTRK, can you maybe measure your large jersey so I can see how it compares to the stated dimensions? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting size charts for the reebok premier jerseys, so I'm wondering what they actually are. Thanks!

Last edited by beth: 12-18-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 01:02 AM
SouthpawTRK

Just got home a bit ago. I'll post the measurements within the next 30 minutes; just gotta finish a late night dinner.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:21 AM
SouthpawTRK

I measured my RBK Premier replica jersey and these are the numbers that I got:

Pit to Pit: 27"
Front hem to bottom: 26"
Back hem to bottom: 31"

I made sure that I measured everything twice and I used the following for a guide (since I was not quite positive what "front hem to bottom" and "back hem to bottom" meant).

I did use the following chart from www.icejerseys.com:

http://www.icejerseys.com/sizing_chart.html

Please let me know if you need any other jersey measurements.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
beth

Thanks so much!! It helps to have the real life measurements.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
hitmanjat

For RBK jerseys I always get one size bigger then i would wear in street clothes.

IE) I wear XL normally but to wear over gear i get an XXL.

hitmanjat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Should just ask someone to buy those $30 fake jerseys from China to wear to S&P or order them online. I'm wearing a $30 Marty St Louis jersey I bought in a fake jersey market in Shanghai to shinnies. Loving it.

Those real $160-180 jerseys... I try to keep those in really good condition and only wear them to games/pubs (take them off when I eat messy food). It's just me though

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

why dont you just go to a store and try them on?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:25 PM
beth

Because the nearest store that i think might have the same type of jersey is a 40 minute drive. But, yes, im hoping to see one in person first. :-)

Old
12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
DJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Should just ask someone to buy those $30 fake jerseys from China to wear to S&P or order them online. I'm wearing a $30 Marty St Louis jersey I bought in a fake jersey market in Shanghai to shinnies. Loving it.

Those real $160-180 jerseys... I try to keep those in really good condition and only wear them to games/pubs (take them off when I eat messy food). It's just me though
No way. If my jersey isn't marked and wore in from wearing it at shinnies then it isnt ready for wearing to the ACC. I love it when the rest of my workmates show up at a box (for those rare lucky invites) in suites and I am there in my away jersey having washed it for the benefit of those nearby.
Mind my jerseys are ones i got on clearance or through a buddy at the LHS that i spent the most of my $ at so its far short of spending that kind of cash on the jersey.

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:32 PM
DJH

I have four rbk jerseys. Two are smaller and sized in large being the same size I wear in a traditional cut. I know some people initially don't like the more form fitting nature of the rbk jerseys but I haven't minded. I find that despite claims of fitting smaller than traditonal cuts they work as well.
Three are rbk "official licensed jerseys" that are made in Indonesia are significantly lighter and a bit cooler than the one I have that was made in Canada that has the fight strap, heavier stitching and thicker fabrics but also has noticeably more stretch. It says "centre ice" and "authentic jersey" on the tag.
If weight or heating / cooling is important to you i suggest you avoid the authentic and get the licensed one.

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Stickmata

CCM and RBK jerseys fit differently, if you didn't know that already. Also, some of the RBK jerseys fit differently as well. For example, the new RBK practice jerseys run bigger than last year's practice jerseys (which were too form fitting).

My advice is, whenever you're caught between sizes, buy the larger one. Nothing sucks worse than trying to play in a jersey that's too tight.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:21 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Thanks so much!! It helps to have the real life measurements.
Glad to be able to help; hope that your first jersey purchase goes well! Out of curiosity, who's your team?

Old
12-20-2011, 08:05 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Glad to be able to help; hope that your first jersey purchase goes well! Out of curiosity, who's your team?
I want to get a Canucks/Bieksa jersey. Someday I want a Sharks third jersey too. But I'm starting with the Canucks because of the proximity to where I live.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:07 PM
beth

I want to get a Canucks/Bieksa jersey. Someday I also want a Sharks third jersey, but I'm getting the Canucks first since they're the closest to where I live.