HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Study suggests canadians would support fighting ban

Old
12-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
Study suggests canadians would support fighting ban

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382923
Quote:
It's been argued that dropping the gloves in hockey is an integral part of the sport's tradition, but a recent study suggested that most Canadian fans would support a ban on fighting.

60% of Canadians, aged 18 years or older, that watch and follow the sport agree that fighting should be banned from professional hockey, according to a recent nationwide Forum Research survey.

"Based on these findings, it looks like Canadians are growing increasingly weary of the amount of fighting that takes place in Canada's national pastime and perhaps of the impact on its players," Forum Research president Dr. Lorne Bozinoff said.
Discuss

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:18 PM
JohnLennon

How can anyone take a study seriously when they don't even state the sample size? Not criticizing you, just those who wrote the article/did the survey.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:22 PM
thekernel

not me, that's for sure.

fighting isn't really for the spectacle. it's so two guys can vent frustration or find an avenue of retribution that isn't dangerous.

i wonder how skewed the results would be if they asked HFboards?

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:26 PM
xking23
Petersson

I am 18 years and older, Canadian and follow hockey. I was never asked my opinion. Ergo their conclusion is false. 60% of their sample that watch and follow the sport may have agreed (and I wonder what they considered to have been watch hockey, like a few games a year 20+, 82+. I want to know how broad their survey is.)

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:33 PM
MountainHawk

Forum research appears to be a credible polling firm in Canada, so I suspect the methodology was fine, so shame on TSN for not reporting the key numbers (sample size, margin of error)

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Forum research appears to be a credible polling firm in Canada, so I suspect the methodology was fine, so shame on TSN for not reporting the key numbers (sample size, margin of error)
Duthy? or TSN said like 1160 coast to coast but nothing else.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Paris in Flames

I guess every hockey fan I know are exceptions to this. Fighting is loved by every fan I know.

Paris in Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Agreed. I suspect this is a fairly legit poll, but who knows when they don't report the details.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1500
And I know Americans who would also like fighting banned. What's the point of bringing up nationalities? The only thing it does is starts problems. Pretty ridiculous poll if you ask me.

12-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Trottier
Very Random

100% of those polled were not NHL hockey players.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
And I know Americans who would also like fighting banned. What's the point of bringing up nationalities? The only thing it does is starts problems. Pretty ridiculous poll if you ask me.
Canadians and Americans are different. That's just reality. It's the same reason they didn't poll people in Russia or Czech Republic.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
100% (or as close as it can be) of posters on here aren't either. Why don't we all just log off since we don't have the infinite wisdom at the disposal of NHL hockey players?

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Soderberg

Fighting is what makes hockey special if it's used the right way. I like that players can settle their differences on the ice.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:46 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel View Post
not me, that's for sure.

fighting isn't really for the spectacle. it's so two guys can vent frustration or find an avenue of retribution that isn't dangerous.

i wonder how skewed the results would be if they asked HFboards?
lol, like no one's ever been hurt in a fight before? Blows to the head aren't dangerous at all, right?

The only good reason to keep fighting is to police the game. But now with the instigator it doesn't even matter, although some guys will man up and fight after delivering questionable hits.

The fighting itself is stupid and dangerous, and I wouldn't mind not seeing it anymore.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:47 PM
SaxMan

I hope fighting is removed because it adds nothing to the game. It's only a matter of time.

SaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Canadians and Americans are different. That's just reality. It's the same reason they didn't poll people in Russia or Czech Republic.
So just because we're different means everything has to be labeled by one of us? The only thing this poll did was in my eyes, make it seem like Americans in general like violence in hockey, while Canadians generally do not. Why couldn't this polling company poll NHL fans instead of just Canadian NHL fans?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Frank Drebin

I see fighting out of hockey totally in 5-10 years.

I'm Canadian, and I've played the game.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:50 PM
awesomo
HARD!

meh, youll never get it out of the game completely

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:51 PM
RehnX

Quote:
100% of those polled are the costumer. 100% of NHL players are the product being sold.

These guys don't get paid to play because THEY love the game, they get paid to play because we want to see them play, eliminate the viewership and everybody loses, ergo, it really doesn't matter what the players think if the fans want something else.

I personally hope fighting never gets banned, but if it did I don't think it would affect the game nearly as much as geezers think.

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:52 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Never Say Never -Justin Bieber

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Which is really irrelevant. Hockey players in the 70's preferred playing without helmets.

It's about what's best for the people playing the game. If eliminating fighting from the game prevents 5 cases of PCS every 10 years, I'm all for it.

Those players that were only good enough to make it as "goons" can make a living another way, that does not compromise their life after 30 years of age.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Elever
Hth

I call BS on this stat and will also guess it's not a randomized population and probably has some compounded error...sports studies are often badly done with high school calibre work.

Also, I blame the media for making a non-issue into an issue.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
As much as it's out of football, basketball and baseball you can.

Old
12-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So just because we're different means everything has to be labeled by one of us? The only thing this poll did was in my eyes, make it seem like Americans in general like violence in hockey, while Canadians generally do not. Why couldn't this polling company poll NHL fans instead of just Canadian NHL fans?
Then you're seeing what you want to see. And that's not even a stereotype. Most canadians think that americans want fighting out of the game and see it as barbaric. Don Cherry talks about that all the time.

Quote:
Ken Dryden is a former nhl player no? He's come out against fighting.

Here's Ken Drydens second Grantland article from a day ago.

Quote:
.... On matters Canadian, he is respectful and deferential. He listens. About on-ice matters, he is the same. Respectful and deferential, he listens to his "hockey guys."

There are debates among doctors, now played out in the media, over the correlation between hockey's blows to the head and CTE, between blows suffered now and a player's long-term future. These debates will continue. But there can be no debate about the impact of those blows on players now. Almost every day there's someone new — this week it's star Flyers' defenseman and tough guy Chris Pronger and his teammate Claude Giroux, the NHL's leading scorer — both gone and for who knows how long. The debate about CTE is important, but it's a distraction. The debate over fighting is a distraction. This is about head injuries. This is about what we can see. This is what we absolutely know. This is about now.

Bettman and the NHL cannot wait for science. They can't hide behind science, using it as their shield. They must move, and move quickly, out of Stage 2 to Stage 3. No amount of well-modulated, reasonable- and responsible-sounding words change the fact that a hit to the head, whether by elbow, shoulder, or fist, is an attempt to injure that needs to result in expulsion or suspension. No amount of hopefulness and crossed fingers will change the fact that the NHL, like the NFL, must begin to imagine and introduce more "head-smart" ways to play. Bettman needs to be Bettman. We look back on those people 50 years ago who defended tobacco and asbestos and think, How could they be so stupid? Bettman and the NHL cannot wait for this generation of players to get old just so they can know for sure.
Basically it's two things that are holding up change in this game.

1) the guy running this league is an american, he doesn't really KNOW the game like Canadians do(or so he's told)

2) there really is no scientific evidence that fighting is damaging to the brain yet, sort of like how there wasn't really evidence that smoking and asbestos caused lung cancer(this is actually a comparison he uses in the quote)

If the fans don't want it in the game, especially canadians, that really might hurry it along imo(banning fighting that is) and I haven't seen the stats but imo a large majority of american fans want fighting banned.

edit:http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...aiting-science

Old
12-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

You hardly see fights anymore anyhow, so if they remove it I think it would hardly be much more than a short wimper imo.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote