HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mtl media too harsh?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
My reason is more simple. These coaches are not good enough.
... according to....?

It seems like you know more "truths" that the common mortals.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Or maybe it's a proof that the other 29 teams exercice discrimination toward coach from Quebec? Even toward Stanley Cup winners and finalists? Who knows...

P.S. I agree Carbo was a bad coach, but that has nothing to do with his language.

Please don't put words in my mouth.
That's simply ridiculous.

29 teams will hire the best candidate as coach, except 1 team who has to hire a french speaking coach which limits our option and may not hire the best for the job that's what you need to understand

Old
12-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
What non-French speaking coach would even want to come here anymore?
At this moment, no one

Old
Booba
Fier, mu and proud

Let's hire Bergeron has a the HC, name Gaston Therrien and PJ Stock his assistants! Then name Bertrand Raymond as the GM! Please also hire Cantin to replace Trevor Timmins!

Why not? They seem to think that it's easy to manage/coach the Habs? I am pretty sure that they would be sucessful!

Old
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Well unlike you, i dont judge how good a coach is basing only in accomplishment but also what he brings out of his players. What he can do with the tools he had to work with. With your logic, you think Moen is better than Iginla.
I was agreeing with you. I was responding to him.

Old
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
... according to....?

It seems like you know more "truths" that the common mortals.
So do you apparently

Old
12-21-2011, 04:19 PM
sheed36

Damn.. This thread is making my head spin.. Why can't we all just get along here folks?

Somebody seriously needs to call a timeout here to put an end to all this bickering..

Old
12-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Stradale

Quote:

Please don't put words in my mouth.
oh please. With your logic, it was an honest guess. Perron is a cup winner, that speaks french. Ruff has no cup and doesnt speak french. Based on what you're saying in this thread, you would think Perron would be more suitable to coach the Habs now than Ruff.

Take notice that I said suitable and not the better coach.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

I wonder what would have been the reaction from anglophone fans if Gauthier had hired an unknown French speaking assistant coach of Jacques Martin to replace him instead of the current unknown unlingual coach that we got.

"OMG, another coach who's hired only because he speaks French! That's detrimental to winning!!"

Old
12-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I was agreeing with you. I was responding to him.
Yeah my bad. Quote the wrong person.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
I wonder what would have been the reaction from anglophone fans if Gauthier had hired an unknown French speaking assistant coach of Jacques Martin to replace him instead of the current unknown unlingual coach that we got.

"OMG, another coach who's hired only because he speaks French! That's detrimental to winning!!"
No, no one care's what language he speaks, as long as he's good and has proper qualifications. You obviously will ignore what i just say, and go back to playing the victim. As always.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
ChesterNimitz

It is organizational suicide to pursue a policy that sees the selection of personnel on the basis and criteria of something other than merit. To do so, by definition, means that you may be employing a person of inferior capabilities. One would wonder if those loudly braying for a 'French speaking' coach would adopt the same attitude in selecting a surgeon? Do you want the best surgeon holding the scalple or one who can fluently explain in the preferred language why the operation was unsuccessful? In the former case the patient lives while in the latter, the patient dies but no sensitivities have been bruised.

Having been a fan of this team since the 1940s I have had the privilege of watching the greatest players of their respective generations play for a team that was once synonymous with athletic success. It is quite sad that while every other NHL team strives for success unencumbered with secondary issues, the great Montreal Canadiens seem as concerned with appeasing local sensibilities as with winning. Not only must the team win, but it must win right.

What a pathetic situation.

That is all.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:23 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Damn.. This thread is making my head spin.. Why can't we all just get along here folks?

Somebody seriously needs to call a timeout here to put an end to all this bickering..
Ahhhhh I'm leaving anyway. I think we'll never agree. Joyeux Nol to everybody of both languages!

I hope the Maroons win tonight!

Old
12-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Ahhhhh I'm leaving anyway. I think we'll never agree. Joyeux Nol to everybody of both languages!
Pretty sure we will get along better in another thread!

Old
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
It is organizational suicide to pursue a policy that sees the selection of personnel on the basis and criteria of something other than merit. To do so, by definition, means that you may be employing a person of inferior capabilities. One would wonder if those loudly braying for a 'French speaking' coach would adopt the same attitude in selecting a surgeon? Do you want the best surgeon holding the scalple or one who can fluently explain in the preferred language why the operation was unsuccessful? In the former case the patient lives while in the latter, the patient dies but no sensitivities have been bruised.

Having been a fan of this team since the 1940s I have had the privilege of watching the greatest players of their respective generations play for a team that was once synonymous with athletic success. It is quite sad that while every other NHL team strives for success unencumbered with secondary issues, the great Montreal Canadiens seem as concerned with appeasing local sensibilities as with winning. Not only must the team win, but it must win right.

What a pathetic situation.

That is all.
Everything is secondary to pride and passion in this province. Especially efficiency, in the broader view of things.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:

If this guy was already the assistant coach, just being moved into the interim position(like Cunneyworth), no one would have a problem with it. Just like you shouldn't have a problem with Cunneyworth being moved into an interim position.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:26 PM
coolasprICE

so, curious to what you guys think about having a coach that doesn't speak french ?

Old
12-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Let's hire Bergeron has a the HC, name Gaston Therrien and PJ Stock his assistants! Then name Bertrand Raymond as the GM! Please also hire Cantin to replace Trevor Timmins!

Why not? They seem to think that it's easy to manage/coach the Habs? I am pretty sure that they would be sucessful!
Let's also sign Denis Gauthier to a 10 year deal and make him the captain too

Old
12-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Sorry dude but now your completely " dans le champ" No one ever complained about our coaches being french or our GM's in the past. Your never hear that from the english side of the media and they will always give a chance to that person unlike the french side who completely killed RC before even coaching 1 ****ing game. However it has not worked in the last what 15 years and we are ****ing fed up. Wouldn't you love to have a coach like Bylsma? But guess what we can't hire that guy. Ray Shero as GM, or Peter Chiarelli? Every time they make a move we are like I wish our GM made that type of move well they can't cause we can't hire them. We are fed up or having rookies at both coaching and managing, we want the best possible candidate and we don't give a **** which language he speaks

Old
12-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Habbadasher

To answer the OP: duh?

Old
12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
so, curious to what you guys think about having a coach that doesn't speak french ?
I think it sucks, like people starting threads on other boards, like our biggest rivals saying please kill us tonight

Old
12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Everything is secondary to pride and passion in this province. Especially efficiency, in the broader view of things.
Wonderful. So we have institutionalized mediocrity in the name of cultural purity. What a brilliant blueprint for success.

That is all.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
The recent front page articles on rds.ca made me hate them twice as much as before. When they say stuff like the fans want Roy as the next coach, or the fans are angry that a French coach wasn't hired, they're pretty much just speaking for themselves. I have nothing against the French, but these guys are nothing but chauvinist buffoons.
Bertrand Raymond is like that. I can't recall the last time he wrote something I thought was sensible. He's the elder statesman of that vast contingent of journalists who cover the Habs without actually covering hockey.

He's the guy who infamously suggested that the reason Wiz was making more money than MAB was perception. A blunder so bad that we saw a very rare phenomenon: media people directly contradicting a colleague.

Old
Booba
Fier, mu and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
Let's also sign Denis Gauthier to a 10 year deal and make him the captain too
Yes! You can be sure that Bertrand Raymond will take care of that! He'll also sign Benoit Brunet because we need a "gros bonhomme" in front of the net.

However, I might have to reconsider my choice for the head coach position. Not sure Bergeron would be the right fit! Is his french good enough? Not sure the media would understand him during press conferences!

Maybe Perron would be better?

Old
habtastic

Quote:
We did exactly that with Cunneyworth : hire a rookie who's gonna make mistake, move on and be a great coach elsewhere. How would that be different with a French speaking rookie coach?

But that's a different argument that you're bringing now. What you want is a coach with experience. Well, good news for you : plenty of French speaking coaches with experience would be pleased to coach the Habs.
Cunneyworth is more than a rookie coach with no experience. He has a WEALTH of experience. People have only good things to say about him and yes it is probably true that Gauthier wanted to go with a guy who was already involved with the team (the media thinks it knows everything about what's going on within the team) and who could help immediately. Cunneyworth is the best option available right now, hands down. Ps. another Randy (there sure are a lot) Carlye does not speak french. That would have been even more blasphemous.

please name which French coach's with experience are available and why you think they'd help the team. Also consider the argument that if EVERYTHING changes at the end of the year, the new GM might not want that person. The media should just shutup and see what Cunneyworth can do for the rest of the year. If he's great and turns things around with this group of guys, please nominate him for the Jack Adams. If he doesn't do it, then fine, we will likely get a new coach and I'll bet someone who won't help us at all unless there is some Francophone superstar I've not yet head of.

From "The Hockey Writers" (but can be corroborated obviously):
"The man played 866 games in the NHL. He spent eight years paying his dues as head coach of the Rochester Americans in the AHL. Cunneyworth then spent two years as an assistant coach in Atlanta, followed by a year coaching the Hamilton Bulldogs"

MANY people have spoken about how instrumental he was in developing young talent and what a great job he did in the AHL. He's the best chance of turning our season around. Currently there is no French coach out there for whom the same can be said. Point finale.

Closed Thread