HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mtl media too harsh?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2011, 03:37 PM
  #326
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think it sucks,
i know ehz

me too

I mean, when I am in my bed at night listening to the radio and i don't hear a french coach, i feel like crying in my pillow!

coolasprICE is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
  #327
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I wonder what would have been the reaction from anglophone fans if Gauthier had hired an unknown French speaking assistant coach of Jacques Martin to replace him instead of the current unknown unlingual coach that we got.

"OMG, another coach who's hired only because he speaks French! That's detrimental to winning!!"
Wait...yeah. That is what people would say, but you're missing out on how it's NOT the opposite of the current situation (or rather analogous).


If the ONLY reason for hiring this (you said it yourself) "unknown" assistant was to placate the idiotic media and political junta, then YES, we would be infuriated for the same reason we are now: i.e. that winning doesn't matter, just language. If it were an english speaking unknown assistant, exactly the same sentiment, WTF?

The fact you think Cunneyworth is unknown or unproven is a testament to the fact that we really have some fans that are in the dark about FACTS.

habtastic is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:47 PM
  #328
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Or maybe it's a proof that the other 29 teams exercice discrimination toward coach from Quebec? Even toward Stanley Cup winners and finalists? Who knows...

P.S. I agree Carbo was a bad coach, but that has nothing to do with his language.
Huh? Were the two coaches in the finalists not Francophones who learned the ropes of the NHL with the Habs? If anything, if a good coach comes out of Quebec, we snatch them up first and the others are lucky if they get to snag him, like in the case of the great Guy Boucher. Despite his rough season so far, do you know how many Habs fans (anglophone) were dying to get Boucher?

your arguments do not bear water. No teams discriminate based on language except the Montreal Canadiens, it seems forcibly. It's pathetic and sucks for Habs fans who actually care about the team, the city, what the team means to them (it belongs to every Montrealer, anglos too) and for our quest for another Cup. The people who believe or who are seduced into this argument that a crucial part of the franchise has been stripped because the head coach can't say boring things to the fans are the mirror image of the bible belt evangelical republicans who just wanna feeeeel good about what they supposedly represent and don't actually care about progress and what's good for them. The term Hab fan is starting to mean different things. FTR I am proud of our french heritage. I'm also proud of the other key part. The amalgamation of French and English into one team. This situation is a blight against the history of this team and truly ironic.

habtastic is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:49 PM
  #329
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I wonder what would have been the reaction from anglophone fans if Gauthier had hired an unknown French speaking assistant coach of Jacques Martin to replace him instead of the current unknown unlingual coach that we got.

"OMG, another coach who's hired only because he speaks French! That's detrimental to winning!!"
I have no problem with hiring a French coach. It's not like we haven't done that before. We always do that. So of course there are going to be people who will say "We hired yet another guy based on a requirement." And that could be a highly unfair complaint coming from them, because maybe that's not why he was hired. Maybe the guy was good. But there have been bilingual coaches for years and no one boycotts. Cunneyworth was only coach for a day before people started complaining about him.

andy28 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
  #330
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
You can say the same thing orver and over again, but the facts are the same. Except in one or two cases, rookie "french" coaches are not hired outside of Québec. In this case, the only team that introduces "french" coaches to the league is the one accused of discrimination.

What a nice, ****ed up world.
I'm not sure if we're on the same page due to possible sarcasm, so sorry if I'm just making your point, but:

If the French team (the Habs) hires a rookie French coach, they aren't jumping over the fence of discrimination. That's like saying the CEO of a company is unfairly accused of nepotism because he hired his fresh out of undergrad son to run the company, thus avoiding discrimination cuz nobody else would hire someone with such little experience.

the bolded part. You're strengthening the argument that a lot of us are making, i.e. that we bear the burden of having to be the training grounds for rookie French coaches in the NHL. We should not have to be. Seriously, I want the Nords back ASAP so they can take over the bs role of being a political beacon and in the process hurt their chances relative to other teams of building a championship team with the RIGHT coach.

habtastic is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:01 PM
  #331
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Seems to me you don't know jack about working as a coach in multi billion dollar indusry, with multi million dollar budget to work with.

And once you finish law, you'll realize how much 4 hours a week to do something else except you're work and free work (mandatory work done for the house/family) is ALOT and how you'll need that to maximize you're free time.
And, how much do you know about working as a coach for a multi billion industry with multi million budget to work with.... Are you Jacques Martin???

HABsurde is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
  #332
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Way too harsh. Sometimes I wished Montreal French-language media (and perhaps English-language media as well) were more like Toronto or Vancouver Cantonese-language media, which I know are not hard on their teams.

Mathradio is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:09 PM
  #333
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Personally I think RC got the job because he was already employed by the Habs and they didn't want to go outside and sign another guy especially not knowing which direction this team is heading in.

Bingo, who would come for only a couple of months (when nothing else can be garanteed) And who would come for cheap when Molson don't want to spend big bucks at this time anyway....

HABsurde is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
  #334
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
My reason is more simple. These coaches are not good enough.
Your opinion, it is not worth more than anyone else. A profesionnal hockey operative can say that and maybe bring proof, but, unless proven differently, i will not call you a professional hockey operative...

HABsurde is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:15 PM
  #335
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Way too harsh. Sometimes I wished Montreal French-language media (and perhaps English-language media as well) were more like Toronto or Vancouver Cantonese-language media, which I know are not hard on their teams.
The stupid French media(not all of them, I'm only singling out the stupid ones) have their stupid government officials backing them up, that's why they can write that crap.

I haven't heard of anyone in the government blasting Brian Burke, or Mike Gillis for the people they've hired.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
  #336
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
The stupid French media(not all of them, I'm only singling out the stupid ones) have their stupid government officials backing them up, that's why they can write that crap.

I haven't heard of anyone in the government blasting Brian Burke, or Mike Gillis for the people they've hired.

Could you please tell us which one are stupid?
if you can't single out the stupid one, maybe you should not interfere in this debate....

HABsurde is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
  #337
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
You know what is funny about this thread? When it's all done, The Habs will have a coach that speaks french (in no longer then 8 months)

So it's all basically talking for nothing as we all know that it's going to end up that way.

You may not like it, but it is what it is....

Now let's all get behind Randy and wish him the best for tonight and the remainder of the season. I'm sure, if not here (i still believe crash courses in french may save is butt) he will have a long career as a coach in the NHL....

What i feel for is his wife and kids (if he have any) that as to live with that storm right here, right now, when he is at least more isolated on the road....

HABsurde is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
  #338
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Could you please tell us which one are stupid?
if you can't single out the stupid one, maybe you should not interfere in this debate....
I'm talking about the idiots who aren't even giving Cunneyworth a chance, who are throwing him under the bus because he can't speak French. I'm talking about the moron who called for the boycott of Molson products because he hired a non-french speaking coach. If you want to defend these people go ahead.

Edit: and GTFO with your "don't interfere with this debate" ********

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
  #339
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Could you please tell us which one are stupid?
if you can't single out the stupid one, maybe you should not interfere in this debate....
Why? Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing which is forcing me lower into this debate. This is devolving into childish retorts. PtH clearly means the ones who are causing all of this (actually giving perhaps undue credit to SOME French media who aren't being total D-bags)

What difference does it make, do you work for one of the French media outlets and are offended that your establishment is besmirched? In case you haven't heard...a lot...a LOT of the French media is banging on the drum with this stupid scandal. I think we can leave it at "the ones who are".

habtastic is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
  #340
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
This thread will last forever .

Quarantesix is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:29 PM
  #341
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 50
And I am proud to announce that "Si la tendance se maintien" the next habs coach will be Gilles Duceppe!

I bet that 75% of the people complaining would be happy with this announcement.
1-He speaks fench.

So he fulfills all the requirements for the job...

terreur is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:30 PM
  #342
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
You know what is funny about this thread? When it's all done, The Habs will have a coach that speaks french (in no longer then 8 months)

So it's all basically talking for nothing as we all know that it's going to end up that way.

You may not like it, but it is what it is....

Now let's all get behind Randy and wish him the best for tonight and the remainder of the season. I'm sure, if not here (i still believe crash courses in french may save is butt) he will have a long career as a coach in the NHL....

What i feel for is his wife and kids (if he have any) that as to live with that storm right here, right now, when he is at least more isolated on the road....
This I do agree with. I.e. that it will turn out this way. Sadly. Even if he gets us to the third round.

But you're right, it will end up this way, so that's why I don't get why the media doesn't just shut up until the end of the season and maybe support the team.

habtastic is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:30 PM
  #343
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I'm talking about the idiots who aren't even giving Cunneyworth a chance, who are throwing him under the bus because he can't speak French. I'm talking about the moron who called for the boycott of Molson products because he hired a non-french speaking coach. If you want to defend these people go ahead.

Edit: and GTFO with your "don't interfere with this debate" ********
In case you haven't notice, the wind as blown somewhere else, the blame is not as much on Cunneyworth as it is put now on Molson and Gauthier....

And you should not interfere with the debate as you probably only get second hand information about the media here, if you could pin point the people you call stupid, i could respect that, since you can't...

HABsurde is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:32 PM
  #344
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Bingo, who would come for only a couple of months (when nothing else can be garanteed) And who would come for cheap when Molson don't want to spend big bucks at this time anyway....
This is way to intelligent and you can't really blame anybody in the organisation. It is a lot easier to blame the new anglo coach...

terreur is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:33 PM
  #345
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 500
Journal de Montréal, RDS, freaking every single one except maybe Paris Match. Good enough?

habtastic is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:34 PM
  #346
GinoCyber*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
And you should not interfere with the debate as you probably only get second hand information about the media here, if you could pin point the people you call stupid, i could respect that, since you can't...
2nd hand? The articles of these racists pigs are on their own website.

GinoCyber* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:36 PM
  #347
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Why? Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing which is forcing me lower into this debate. This is devolving into childish retorts. PtH clearly means the ones who are causing all of this (actually giving perhaps undue credit to SOME French media who aren't being total D-bags)

What difference does it make, do you work for one of the French media outlets and are offended that your establishment is besmirched? In case you haven't heard...a lot...a LOT of the French media is banging on the drum with this stupid scandal. I think we can leave it at "the ones who are".
It's easy for anyone not directly involve (meaning not in quebec), not really seeing or reading on first hand, to make a comment, saying someone is stupid is easy, naming him takes more guts and also means you are truly inform

I think Philippe Cantin, François Gagnon, Bertrand Raymond are quite overboard on this issue, i think except for the title on yesterday's edition, Journla de Montreal were'nt that bad.... You see, i have an idea of what i'm talking about, not just citing anything i may have heard....

HABsurde is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:37 PM
  #348
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
In case you haven't notice, the wind as blown somewhere else, the blame is not as much on Cunneyworth as it is put now on Molson and Gauthier....

And you should not interfere with the debate as you probably only get second hand information about the media here, if you could pin point the people you call stupid, i could respect that, since you can't...
I'm not going to give you the satisfaction by wasting my time looking for the articles when you clearly know what I'm talking about. I was watching the Habs-Bruins game on TSN's Habs channel(yes an English channel btw), and they showed the quotes, and the article multiple times.

I don't really care if you respect me btw, I'm going post on this site regardless.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:37 PM
  #349
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
This I do agree with. I.e. that it will turn out this way. Sadly. Even if he gets us to the third round.

But you're right, it will end up this way, so that's why I don't get why the media doesn't just shut up until the end of the season and maybe support the team.
happy world doesn't sell copies or draw ratings, contraversy does

HABsurde is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 04:37 PM
  #350
penaltykiller
Registered User
 
penaltykiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: province of quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Hello PQ/BQ supporter here

The media are obviously going too far here. It was to be expected. The habs and french/english relations are two subjects that sell copies/get ratings. Now the 2 of them are combined , so it's like Christmas to them. I was disgusted by the frontpage of le journal de Montréal with the "another loss for Cunneyworth". It was really a cheap shot for a lack of a better word. Don't forget that the only team that people care about is the Habs and no one else.

What gets me angry here is not that people are standing up to protect the Quebec french and culture. I read some texts by english speaking members of this message board saying that they had no problems with that.

What really bugs me is that some people were bashing Randy Cunneyworth without even giving him the chance to prove himself. I am sure that 98 % of so-called " habs fan" had no idea of who he was before the nomination but they still bashed him. Don't get me started on the ones that wish him to fail.

Also , the minister of culture was just trying to get some easy votes.


I am just thinking out loud here but what if the media wrote about how the Montreal Canadiens should sponsor minor hockey in Quebec with the money that they have ?

I think that helping kids to play sports and selling the sports to the new people living in this province would be much more useful for Quebec than hiring one french speaking man to coach the team.

There are so many subjects that we can disagree on ( and i am sure most of you would like a word with me ) why fight over a coach ?

penaltykiller is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.