HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mtl media too harsh?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 11:33 AM
HABsurde

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
How is it insensitive?

Is Great Britain insensitive because they have an Italian coach who can't speak English?

How is it different from translating what the coach is saying than what the players are saying?
just so we are clear, i'm not feeling it's insensitive, i'm telling you what is people feel.... maybe the difference is that the people are use to this in england when you are surrended close by french, german, spanish, italian and many other langages, not with the Habs when for the last 40 years, the team head coach could speak in the language of the majority of quebec....

Old
12-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Did you give them a lump of Erik Cole in their stockings?
Well played, sir.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Not The One

Quote:
How is it insensitive?

Is Great Britain insensitive because they have an Italian coach who can't speak English?

How is it different from translating what the coach is saying than what the players are saying?
And catalan teams have catalan players, basque teams have basque players, corsican teams have corsican players, and so on... but not here, where we care more about winning than to represent our province and our fans.

Which would actually no go over so badly if the team did actually win, once in a while. Now we're stuck with a loosing team with disconnected leadership and no attachment to it's fans.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Good thing you could read. Now you can read the little boxes on RDS to understand the coach.

Problem solved!
seriously, what is the problem with you? I don't give a damn the coach speak english, and i've been on this board for way longer than you i presume, and long enough today that you should see that english is not an issue with me....

Old
12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
And catalan teams have catalan players, basque teams have basque players, corsican teams have corsican players, and so on... but not here, where we care more about winning than to represent our province and our fans.

Which would actually no go over so badly if the team did actually win, once in a while. Now we're stuck with a loosing team with disconnected leadership and no attachment to it's fans.
And in Milan we are built with Brazilians and keep winning, do people care about the lack of Italians on the team? NO

Old
12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
you mean what, the survey? of course the media is going to squeeze the story to the bone. But the pressure is no longer on Cunneyworth, the pressure as shifted on Gauthier for being insensitive to the french culture and Molson for allowing such a situation to happen....

And i will never say the media are necessary intelligent
Not the survey.

I'm talking about the front page of Le Journal de Montreal yesterday, where the headline was written in english ("Cunneyworth loses another game") to mock the fact that he does not speak french.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:38 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

Well the issue is we are limiting ourselves in the coach pool by having to select a French one.

Hockey is not as universal as soccer and Hockey Quebec is in big time decline.

Habs should not be giving chances to coaches/players if they are not good enough.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:39 AM
coolasprICE

I prefer to have an anglo coach personally because I feel more connected to the team that way. when I know the coach comes from the same area and speaks the same language as me I feel more secure.

I don't mind francophone coaches but it's not like we have done very well with them... at least if we had an anglo coach I'd have a greater connection

Old
12-21-2011, 11:39 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
We torment our good players? Yhea, right. I just can't get ennough of articles that call out Subban, Price, Patch and Plek for not speaking French. You see these EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Get real a minute. We make an issue of this about the administrative structure of the team. NOT the players.

Darryl: good riddance. You can also switch fanbase, we won't be crying your departure.
Latendresse. Lapierre. The Kostitsyn Brothers. Price. Subban. Pacioretty. Koivu. Muller. Carbonneau. Roy. Schneider. Turgeon.

They've all been scrutinized. Torn apart. Ripped apart. Tormented. Booed. Turned back on by the city - the fans - the media. Had their lives intruded upon. Had assumptions made of their character that weren't true. Were painted as villains. Were pushed out of the city.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:40 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Did you give them a lump of Erik Cole in their stockings?
Well played, sir.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
I wonder if the Flames and Canucks and Leafs and Jets and Sens and Oilers fans whine as much about representing their province...

Old
12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Well played, sir.
Ahem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Well played, sir.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Latendresse. Lapierre. The Kostitsyn Brothers. Price. Subban. Pacioretty. Koivu. Muller. Carbonneau. Roy. Schneider. Turgeon.

They've all been scrutinized. Torn apart. Ripped apart. Tormented. Booed. Turned back on by the city - the fans - the media. Had their lives intruded upon. Had assumptions made of their character that weren't true. Were painted as villains. Were pushed out of the city.
I agree for the most part, but AKost, Price, Subban, and Pacioretty are still around.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
I wonder if the Flames and Canucks and Leafs and Jets and Sens and Oilers fans whine as much about representing their province...
No they don't. You think people in Boston give a rats ass about them not having any players on their team from MA. I'm telling you some people here take it way too seriously where these guys come from.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Everybody will be happy if Randy take a few hour of his summer to learn the language.

and don't give me the exscuze that it is hard to learn a second language. it is easy if you try a little

Old
12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Ahem.

ah, yes. Well.

Hmph.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
smon

Quote:
I agree for the most part, but AKost, Price, Subban, and Pacioretty are still around.
What did the media do to Pacioretty exactly?

Anyways, yeah the Montreal media is ridiculous and horrible. All they do is hyperventilate, seriously.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Habs Junkie

I guess this thread would be the appropriate place to post this:

Yesterday I got in a twitter feud with Francois Gagnon. This guy is such a ****** bag.

He got upset with me because I called him a hypocrite. I called him that because I'm so fed up with him try to stir up crap through his platform. He was an Antichambre 2 nights ago saying he doesn't understand all this love for PK Subban, where all the fans only see the positives and not the negatives. He's really trying to start a hate movement against Subban. If you follow him on twitter you see him retweeting fans bashing PK all the time and then he throws in his 2 cents like: Ouais PK est un superstar, etc..

I was fed up so I tweeted him that he is a hypocrite, by bashing PK for one mistake when he plays half the game, yet Desharnais was 0 and 5 in the faceoffs and had a bunch of turnovers in the game, but obviously he won't say anything bad about him.

So we went back in forth and then he calls me a coward for hiding behind an avatar and that he (Francois Gagnon) is the real deal who is a public person and doesn't hide. Funny part is my twitter account is my full name. The name on my passport lol!!!!!

Later last night, I noticed he was back tweeting again, and guess who he was talking with?!?! El Cloun and "**************" who both don't reveal their real names or faces. I tweeted him again calling him a hypocrite once again because he called me out for not having my face in my profile pic but he has no problem talking nonsense to a clown and a guy who's profile pic consists of a question mark! He did not answer back this time.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
And catalan teams have catalan players, basque teams have basque players, corsican teams have corsican players, and so on... but not here, where we care more about winning than to represent our province and our fans.Which would actually no go over so badly if the team did actually win, once in a while. Now we're stuck with a loosing team with disconnected leadership and no attachment to it's fans.
That's actually incorrect, in part...

The most successful Catalan Club and arguably the most successful club in euro football right now, Barcelona FC, has quite a bit of foreign players and before their current coach, had several 'foreign' coaches as well...

I know Athletico Bilbao, a Basque club, have a club compromised entire of Basque-born players (although their coach is from Argentina) but they're not a very successful team and they are starting to wonder about whether or not this policy of having only Basque-born players is feasible in today's reality.

Also you comment about the team caring more about winning than representing their province is absolutely ridiculous.

The priority should always be winning...in fact, the Montreal Canadiens biggest problem the last 20 years IMO, has been the fact that they've cared more about representing the province, than winning.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I prefer to have an anglo coach personally because I feel more connected to the team that way. when I know the coach comes from the same area and speaks the same language as me I feel more secure.

I don't mind francophone coaches but it's not like we have done very well with them... at least if we had an anglo coach I'd have a greater connection
Great post

Old
12-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Darche, Leblanc, DD, they're not Quebecois?? So, we do have some. Not enough I guess.
And don't we have another group that actually are Canadians? I might have missed a couple years from being cryogenically frozen but isn't Quebec a Province within Canada??

Seriously, who freaking cares. This is about winning hockey games, and it should ONLY be about that. In what world do you live in where representing the province/fans is more important than Winning?? What the heck is that even about..

Old
12-21-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Darche, Leblanc, DD, they're not Quebecois?? So, we do have some. Not enough I guess.
And don't we have another group that actually are Canadians? I might have missed a couple years from being cryogenically frozen but isn't Quebec a Province within Canada??

Seriously, who freaking cares. This is about winning hockey games, and it should ONLY be about that.
Don't be naive Kriss E...you know all too well there have been several studies over the years that link language and performance on the ice.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:01 PM
DougHarvey

Can we not have a moratorium on this subject until the New Year ?

This is a hockey board. let's talk about who's performing and who is not.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs58 View Post
Do you guys think the Mtl media is too harsh on the team? Specifically the French speaking media? It looks to me like they've given up on the team for hiring a coach who doesn't speak French. Is hiring a French coach an absolute requirement?

For those who speak French, here's an interesting article about what the French media and public think of the whole ordeal:

http://lejournaldemontreal.canoe.ca/...21-022916.html
I'm still pretty sure the biggest media cheerleaders for Martin's dismissal were a pair on the radio, in English, in a key drive-time slot, on a station whose network's initials roughly correspond to Toronto Sports Network . . .

Old
12-21-2011, 12:07 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Nobody at the Gazette said anything bad about a francophone coach because of the language he speaks. And if they did, the government and half the province would be calling for the newspaper to be shut down.

Can you imagine if the Gazette tried something like le Journal did yesterday?
I don't get what the Journal de Montréal did that was so offensive to you. I've just watched the main page again and all they do is reporting a very objective survey about Quebecers saying hiring an unilingual coach is "UNACCEPTABLE". And they add "Another loss for Cunneyworth" in English to report an objective event (Cunneyworth lost his first 2 games). But writing it in English was a nice wink to the current language controversy. It's more "cute" than "offensive", in my opinion. English newspapers regularly use the same process (using French words to mock Quebec's policies) and we've never been offended by that.

Closed Thread