HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mtl media too harsh?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Can we not have a moratorium on this subject until the New Year ?

This is a hockey board. let's talk about who's performing and who is not.
Yeah that would be nice but I have a feeling the Habs team is gonna play 2nd fiddle to this story the rest of this season if RC is still coaching unfortunately.. I've read this thread and things look to be at the boiling point right about now..

This board is an absolutely terrible mess right now and I feel sorry for the mods having to deal with this right now.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I don't get what the Journal de Montréal did that was so offensive to you. I've just watched the main page again and all they do is reporting a very objective survey about Quebecers saying hiring an unilingual coach is "UNACCEPTABLE". And they add "Another loss for Cunneyworth" in English to report an objective event (Cunneyworth lost his first 2 games). But writing it in English was a nice wink to the current language controversy. It's more "cute" than "offensive", in my opinion. English newspapers regularly use the same process (using French words to mock Quebec's policies) and we've never been offended by that.
Cute?

It's a sarcastic smug. Nothing cute about it. Offensive might be harsh, but it clearly makes fun of Cunneyworth, which is unwarranted.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Yeah that would be nice but I have a feeling the Habs team is gonna play 2nd fiddle to this story the rest of this season if RC is still coaching unfortunately.. I've read this thread and things look to be at the boiling point right about now..

This board is an absolutely terrible mess right now and I feel sorry for the mods having to deal with this right now.
Agreed. He's the interim coach for crying out loud. Even the interim has to be French? Let's wait until the summer, when Gauthier is (hopefully) fired and the new GM selects a head coach. If the new coach is unilingual, we can reopen this debate.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I usually don't post on language issues because I find it to be, well... frankly boring to talk about.

In this case though, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why they went with Cunnyworth. They announce him as head coach and say he's an interim coach. They do it while the team is in a tailspin and about to face a bunch of top teams. They hire a guy with zero NHL experience and who's unilingual. It's almost like they're throwing this guy to the wolves.

If Cunnyworth is the best guy... okay, I guess I understand it. But why hire a unilingual guy as an interim coach? And why announce him as an interim coach? The players are now playing for a substitute teacher. Plus this guy has the added pressure of dealing with the firestorm of political crap from the papers. And they do all of this for a guy that nobody has ever heard of. Why did the club make this move?

Old
12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Bonin

Technically it does not matter much the coach don't speak french, people should of been way more offended when Harper hired an unilingual Director of Communications and unilingual judge at supreme court, etc.

Though some people here are way too ignorant of French situation in Quebec to realize it's not for technical reason people feel offended, it's because of the symbol and institution the Canadiens are to our nation emancipation.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonin View Post
Technically it does not matter much the coach don't speak french, people should of been way more offended when Harper hired an unilingual Director of Communications and unilingual judge at supreme court, etc.

Though some people here are way too ignorant of French situation in Quebec to realize it's not for technical reason people feel offended, it's because of the symbol and institution the Canadiens are to our nation emancipation.
A last place hockey team? I'd find a new symbol.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:38 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
I guess this thread would be the appropriate place to post this:

Yesterday I got in a twitter feud with Francois Gagnon. This guy is such a ****** bag.

He got upset with me because I called him a hypocrite. I called him that because I'm so fed up with him try to stir up crap through his platform. He was an Antichambre 2 nights ago saying he doesn't understand all this love for PK Subban, where all the fans only see the positives and not the negatives. He's really trying to start a hate movement against Subban. If you follow him on twitter you see him retweeting fans bashing PK all the time and then he throws in his 2 cents like: Ouais PK est un superstar, etc..

I was fed up so I tweeted him that he is a hypocrite, by bashing PK for one mistake when he plays half the game, yet Desharnais was 0 and 5 in the faceoffs and had a bunch of turnovers in the game, but obviously he won't say anything bad about him.

So we went back in forth and then he calls me a coward for hiding behind an avatar and that he (Francois Gagnon) is the real deal who is a public person and doesn't hide. Funny part is my twitter account is my full name. The name on my passport lol!!!!!

Later last night, I noticed he was back tweeting again, and guess who he was talking with?!?! El Cloun and "**************" who both don't reveal their real names or faces. I tweeted him again calling him a hypocrite once again because he called me out for not having my face in my profile pic but he has no problem talking nonsense to a clown and a guy who's profile pic consists of a question mark! He did not answer back this time.
Habs board story of the year nomination goes to...

Old
12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
TheBuriedHab

I wish Montreal had their own version of Brian Burke to tell these morons to ****.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:48 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
I wish Montreal had their own version of Brian Burke to tell these morons to ****.
We did. BG pulled a Burke when he defended Breezer with all the boos. He flat out called these so called fans that the're a bunch of gutless cowards.......

Old
12-21-2011, 12:51 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I don't get what the Journal de Montréal did that was so offensive to you. I've just watched the main page again and all they do is reporting a very objective survey about Quebecers saying hiring an unilingual coach is "UNACCEPTABLE". And they add "Another loss for Cunneyworth" in English to report an objective event (Cunneyworth lost his first 2 games). But writing it in English was a nice wink to the current language controversy. It's more "cute" than "offensive", in my opinion. English newspapers regularly use the same process (using French words to mock Quebec's policies) and we've never been offended by that.
Sorry but if you expected me to believe that you're doing a poor job of convincing me. I've never seen a group of any kind be it political, cultural, social, who whine more than the people who would be and are offended by those types of statements. Seriously natives ***** and whine less about their land being taken away than some Quebecers do about the language "issue". (Funny part is they make it an issue not us)

Old
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I usually don't post on language issues because I find it to be, well... frankly boring to talk about.

In this case though, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why they went with Cunnyworth. They announce him as head coach and say he's an interim coach. They do it while the team is in a tailspin and about to face a bunch of top teams. They hire a guy with zero NHL experience and who's unilingual. It's almost like they're throwing this guy to the wolves.

If Cunnyworth is the best guy... okay, I guess I understand it. But why hire a unilingual guy as an interim coach? And why announce him as an interim coach? The players are now playing for a substitute teacher. Plus this guy has the added pressure of dealing with the firestorm of political crap from the papers. And they do all of this for a guy that nobody has ever heard of. Why did the club make this move?
Come on I don't think you need it spelled out for you. I think you clearly realize why they announced him as interim. Because had they said permanent people would be going even more nuts over the language aspect of things. Molson's statement to the media all but confirms it to be the case. Look how nuts people are going over having an English coach for 4 months.... imagine if they didn't say it was interim? I mean come on you must already have realized this.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Habs board story of the year nomination goes to...
Thanks for the response! I was beginning to think that I was on everyone's ignore list lol

Old
12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've just forum banned 2 people from the habs board. If you guys don't quit it with the flaming, offensive comments or just plain being a jerk, you could be next on the naughty list.
I cant just irrationally start cursing random people out?

Old
12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoCYber View Post
We did. BG pulled a Burke when he defended Breezer with all the boos. He flat out called these so called fans that the're a bunch of gutless cowards.......
Yup. One of my fav moments from Gaineys gm tenure.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:02 PM
holyhabs

How can francophones not see the hypocrisy of the situation. Basically doing to RC what they have complained has been done to them. I give credit to Damphousse for calling people out on RDS.

This whole "institution" thing is a bit overplayed. Francois Gagnon says the same thing than says BUT if Babcock or Trotz comes along, then we can discuss it. Mayor Tremblay called them a "institution" and said its important for the coach to communicate but most importantly he wants the habs to win a damn game! So ultimately, they have their beliefs but abandon them on conditions.

The worst part about Gagnon is that he is pretty much saying even if the french speaking coach is worse than a unilingual coach, it is the habs duty to hire the french coach! Are the habs here to win games (which would logically happen if the best coach was hired regardless of what language he spoke) or serve as the NHL's version of affirmative action?

I think the people making the most noise about this issue are older francophones who are certainly not as large as 72% being reported by JdeM. I have talked to several adolescent francophones in person, on twitter and not seem anywhere near 72% outrage. I see more people wanting french players than a french speaking coach. I guess this is why its so important for francophones. They see their culture is perhaps weakening in the face of the more diverse times and the habs are the main way to hold on to it. We would prefer if poltics were kept out of sports but they don't hold much power there.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
holyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Oh come on, this thread is full of whining, mainly by anglophones (normal as this is an English board).
GMAB. Who started this whole thing? Anglo posters on a hockey forum? People are "whining" because Quebec politicans and media members made this an issue. That is all the talk shows talk about now.

It's like the whole Tebow thing. It's media driven. They did back with Favre (is he retiring is he not?) people get sick and tired of hearing the same crap over and over. Media is the fuel.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Come on I don't think you need it spelled out for you. I think you clearly realize why they announced him as interim. Because had they said permanent people would be going even more nuts over the language aspect of things. Molson's statement to the media all but confirms it to be the case. Look how nuts people are going over having an English coach for 4 months.... imagine if they didn't say it was interim? I mean come on you must already have realized this.
I'm sorry but no. I don't understand what they were hoping to accomplish here. If he's the coach, he's the coach. Just leave it at that, weather the storm and be done with it.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
How can francophones not see the hypocrisy of the situation. Basically doing to RC what they have complained has been done to them. I give credit to Damphousse for calling people out on RDS.

This whole "institution" thing is a bit overplayed. Francois Gagnon says the same thing than says BUT if Babcock or Trotz comes along, then we can discuss it. Mayor Tremblay called them a "institution" and said its important for the coach to communicate but most importantly he wants the habs to win a damn game! So ultimately, they have their beliefs but abandon them on conditions.

The worst part about Gagnon is that he is pretty much saying even if the french speaking coach is worse than a unilingual coach, it is the habs duty to hire the french coach! Are the habs here to win games (which would logically happen if the best coach was hired regardless of what language he spoke) or serve as the NHL's version of affirmative action?

I think the people making the most noise about this issue are older francophones who are certainly not as large as 72% being reported by JdeM. I have talked to several adolescent francophones in person, on twitter and not seem anywhere near 72% outrage. I see more people wanting french players than a french speaking coach. I guess this is why its so important for francophones. They see their culture is perhaps weakening in the face of the more diverse times and the habs are the main way to hold on to it. We would prefer if poltics were kept out of sports but they don't hold much power there.
Where is hypocrisy exactly?

As a French speaker in Quebec, I am required to speak English to be hired for 70% of the jobs. Have you ever heard anybody in Quebec speak against that requirement? Have you ever heard any unilingual francophone denouncing xenophobia? Do we feel victimized because of that? No, no and no.

Why? Because we, francophones, understand that we live in a province where both languages are very important. We understand that knowing both languages is not just an asset, it's a requirement in many positions. Especially for jobs where you work with the public. The Habs coach doesn't work only with the public, he works in the public, which makes it even more mandatory. Along with the prime minister, he's the most mediatized person all around Quebec. Is it too much to ask that, when we hire him, we ask for the same perequisite than 70% of Quebecers are being asked when trying to get a job???

If we were living in Zimbabwe, I could accept an exception to that rule. But we live in a hockey crazy nation plenty of highly talented people and knowledgeable coaches, all bilingual. I don't see how hiring a bilingual coach should be a problem.

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 12-21-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old
12-21-2011, 01:28 PM
holyhabs

Quote:
I'm sorry but no. I don't understand what they were hoping to accomplish here. If he's the coach, he's the coach. Just leave it at that, weather the storm and be done with it.
He's interim probably because they never had a search for a coach.

This franchise continues to fail and what they call change is promoting guys who had a hand in the failure. The Gauthier hiring was laughable looking at his record as head of pro scouting. Now I am not calling for his head like some, as I think he has done a decent job as GM, at least better than as head of pro scouting, but my point is made. He should have never been hired in the first place.

Habs brought in Martin...why? because he worked with Gauthier who together accomplished nothing. Maybe its just me but if I am trying to make changes I am not sticking with the same philosophy that forced me into making changes. Naming RC the coach was expected, habs maintain the status quo and nothing changes. Now we wait and see if RC has the attributes to make a difference. It's all guesswork, reactionary...nothing pro active.

That is probably why for me, it's not as big of a deal if we hire french speaking coaches. Successful franchises are built from the top. As long as we get the best GM, I am happy.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Protest the Hero

Should the GM be required to speak French too, because the talent pool is even smaller compared to the number of French coaches.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:34 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

As a French speaker in Quebec, I am required to speak English to be hired for 70% of the jobs. Have you ever heard anybody in Quebec speak against that requirement? Have you ever heard any unilingual francophone denouncing xenophobia? Do we feel victimized because of that? No, no and no.

Why? Because we, francophones, understand that we live in a province where both languages are very important. We understand that knowing both languages is not just an asset, it's a requirement in many positions. Especially for jobs where you work with the public. The Habs coach doesn't work only with the public, he works in the public, which makes it even more mandatory. Along with the prime minister, he's the most mediatized person all around Quebec. Is it too much to ask that, when we hire him, we ask for the same perequisite than 70% of Quebecers are being asked when trying to get a job???

If we were living in Zimbabwe, I could accept an exception to that rule. But we live in a hockey crazy nation plenty of highly talented people and knowledgeable coaches, all bilingual. I don't see how hiring a bilingual coach should be a problem.
+1 sir

Old
12-21-2011, 01:35 PM
HCH

Quote:

It WAS like throwing a guy to the wolves but it is inaccurate to say he had zero NHL experience. He had experience as an assistant in Atlanta and had more coaching experience than Muller who many here wanted. He also had more pro coaching experience than Boucher.

If someone has not heard of Cunneyworth, they aren't paying attention. How can they not have heard of him he coached our AHL affiliate, he was one of the team's assistant coaches and he was the captain of one of our rivals when he played.

What could happen is that Cunneyworth, despite all the pressure, will get the team back on track and have them playing better than they have in a long time. At the end of the season it won't be enough to keep his job but his attitude, his work ethic and the way he handled the unbelievable pressure might impress someone... someone like Brian Burke.

Imagine, if you can, Cunneyworth coaching the Leafs next year... and at the same time imagine the firestorm if those Cunneyworth coached Leafs dominated the Habs.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:35 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

Wrong. 70% of jobs in Montreal? Sure.

Montreal is a business city and work with English companies in all of Canada.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:39 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
It would depend on the job you are applying for. If the company has the majority of their clients world wide and only has 1% market share in Quebec, then yes, this requirement is normal.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:41 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Wrong. 70% of jobs in Montreal? Sure.

Montreal is a business city and work with English companies in all of Canada.
Sorry, but you're the one who's wrong. Any job with the public has that perequisite all around Quebec. My mother couldn't find a job and had to learn English at 55 years old to get hired in a small French speaking village. That's the reality for most people in Quebec and I'm not against that, as along as we ask the same to English speakers.

Closed Thread