HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Come April, is this a playoff team?

View Poll Results: Will the Sabres make the playoffs?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 21 31.82%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2011, 08:35 AM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Come April, is this a playoff team?

The injuries may make it tough to really gauge whether or not this is a playoff team, but come April, what do you think?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Yes.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:51 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

They'll stumble in and lose in the first round, continuing the string of mediocrity.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:55 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
They'll stumble in and lose in the first round, continuing the string of mediocrity.
I would imagine this

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Yeah, I expect them to finish somewhere between 6th and 8th, and lose a hard-fought series in 7 games.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Likely outcome right here.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:07 AM
CaptPantalones

If they ever get out of the injury spiral, yes

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I can't imagine the consternation if they start getting healthy and make a push. If they happen to make it to Round 2 or beyond, the "Fire _____ " crowd or the "Tank!!" crowd while likely be upset. We'll have PO'd fans for getting there. Fun. Really.

Yes, they make the playoffs.

12-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Vito_81

Yes. They'll have the annual second half of the season surge and finish 6th or 7th.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I can't imagine the consternation if they start getting healthy and make a push. If they happen to make it to Round 2 or beyond, the "Fire _____ " crowd or the "Tank!!" crowd while likely be upset. We'll have PO'd fans for getting there. Fun. Really.
I wonder if any of those on the Fire Ruff bandwagon would change their stance should he take us to the conference or even cup finals.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I wonder if any of those on the Fire Ruff bandwagon would change their stance should he take us to the conference or even cup finals.
Honestly? I would expect conversation about after Cup win to still have people flogging their personal whipping boys.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:28 AM
puckish66

Quote:

Yes, they make the playoffs.
All due respect to the team leader, you're hardly Mr. Sunshine.

What an unfortunate attitude to have.

Fans who want change -- and that has to be a majority of fans by now -- would be upset if the Sabres made a run in the playoffs?

And to say it just before Christmas. Bah.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yeah, I expect them to finish somewhere between 6th and 8th, and lose a hard-fought series in 7 games.

yea, fighting hard is this team's identity

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Quote:
Honestly? I would expect conversation about after Cup win to still have people flogging their personal whipping boys.
you guys are talking about cup finals

Why is it that you sort of recognize that the message is stale, the room might be lost, that it's probably time for a change (as you've both posted in the last week or 2)... but you still belittle the so called "fire ruff" crowd.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

yea, fighting hard is this team's identity
I haven't had issues with their effort level in the playoffs in either of the last two seasons. This team is the lazy teenage son who gets C's all semester and then has to work his ass off to get it up to a B. They're procrastinators. I don't expect to see them turn it on until the point in the season where they absolutely have to. Last season taught them a terrible lesson. I fully expect that we'll be one of the top four teams in the conference after January 1.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:49 AM
gallagt01

Quote:

Why is it that you sort of recognize that the message is stale, the room might be lost, that it's probably time for a change (as you've both posted in the last week or 2)... but you still belittle the so called "fire ruff" crowd.
ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs.

I'm not belittling anyone. I just know that, even though I believe it may be time for a change, if the team made a run deep into the playoffs, I'd change my take on firing Ruff.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I haven't had issues with their effort level in the playoffs in either of the last two seasons. This team is the lazy teenage son who gets C's all semester and then has to work his ass off to get it up to a B. They're procrastinators. I don't expect to see them turn it on until the point in the season where they absolutely have to. Last season taught them a terrible lesson. I fully expect that we'll be one of the top four teams in the conference after January 1.
Their effort level was a complete joke in Game 7 of the Philly series. They were not even in the same class as Philly from an effort stand point. And if you get to game 7 and drop a mega egg like that, you cannot call the series acceptable from an effort standpoint.

And the Boston series? come on man...

Old
12-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs.

I'm not belittling anyone. I just know that, even though I believe it may be time for a change, if the team made a run deep into the playoffs, I'd change my take on firing Ruff.
What are the reasons you think it might be time for a change?
What would a deep run change about those opinions?

That's where we differ I guess.
The problems are deeper then that, and some success will only prolong the problem. I'd LOVE a deep run... but I'd resent it if it leads to more of the same (same as I loved last year's come back, but hate that it's instrumental in why we "Are what we are" again.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Their effort level was a complete joke in Game 7 of the Philly series. They were not even in the same class as Philly from an effort stand point. And if you get to game 7 and drop a mega egg like that, you cannot call the series acceptable from an effort standpoint.
They played a terrible Game 7, no doubt. They lost that series in Game 6, though. Philly was a superior team skillwise, but I don't think they outworked Buffalo. Pommer was practically laughing at Philly in his pre-Game 5 interview about how Buffalo was and had been the more physical team. I don't think we got outworked in that series at all.

Quote:
And the Boston series? come on man...
That was a competitive series, as well. We were leading or tied for something like 85-90% of that series. We just couldn't hold a lead after being able to do so all season. Again, not an effort thing.

I think you're trying to revise the history of those series, Jame.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:02 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
What are the reasons you think it might be time for a change?
What would a deep run change about those opinions?

That's where we differ I guess.
The problems are deeper then that, and some success will only prolong the problem. I'd LOVE a deep run... but I'd resent it if it leads to more of the same (same as I loved last year's come back, but hate that it's instrumental in why we "Are what we are" again.
I think it may be time for a change because it does appear as though Ruff's message/system may be growing stale. Players are too cozy out there, and it leads to a good deal of carelessness. There's little to no accountability on the player's behalf.

I'd like to think that if we make a deep post-season run, Ruff will have gotten that message through to the "core." Winning in the post-season is all that matters in this league.

I do recognize, however, that Craig Macintosh led his Oilers to the cup finals in 05-06 after squeaking into the playoffs. They've failed to reach the post season since (I'm fairly certain) and that one post season run prolonged the inevitable realization that Macintosh just wasn't the right coach. The same could hold true for Lindy.

Either way, I suspect that Lindy will be retained for the next few seasons and we're likely to see a roster overhaul before a staff overhaul.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

No, I'm talking about people having their own personal axes to grind, regardless of the outcome.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:08 AM
static80

I don't believe they make it in this year.
Other teams in the Eastern Conference that were normally below average the last few seasons have now surpassed the Sabres talent wise.

Buffalo will be in the 10 to 12 spot at the end of the season, even if they were healthy.
This team just doesn't have the compete level required.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
All due respect to the team leader, you're hardly Mr. Sunshine.

What an unfortunate attitude to have.

Fans who want change -- and that has to be a majority of fans by now -- would be upset if the Sabres made a run in the playoffs?

And to say it just before Christmas. Bah.
Speaking of Mr. Sunshine....

People have their pet hates, the guys they don't like and they go to great lengths to point out just how right they are about how wrong a member of the team is regardless of the situation. The TEAM sucks right now. It isn't a matter of "this guy is a bum" or "this guy and that guy stink".

As for the rest... I didn't say a majority of fans. I'm pointing out that there are people in town (and even on this board) who will turn a silk purse into a sow's ear simply to grind their axe.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I don't believe they make it in this year.
Other teams in the Eastern Conference that were normally below average the last few seasons have now surpassed the Sabres talent wise.

Buffalo will be in the 10 to 12 spot at the end of the season, even if they were healthy.
This team just doesn't have the compete level required.
You're thinking Florida, and you'd be absolutely correct to think that.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
static80

Quote:
You're thinking Florida, and you'd be absolutely correct to think that.
Yes, Florida is one of them, New Jersey is another, so to is Toronto.

Buffalo is standing still while these teams management teams make moves to better the product. And right now, each of these teams is better than Buffalo, some of it isn't star power either, it's chemistry between the players.
Sad to see it has come to this for our team, but maybe it's the final straw with this current core, only time will tell.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote