HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jarvis Promoted?

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Joe Malone

vCash: 500
Jarvis Promoted?

Can anyone confirm this? I read it on another board...

"Just a brief in the Gazette but I guess once the season starts, Doug Jarvis will be promoted to assistant coach with the Canadiens replacing Guy Charron."

Old
09-28-2004, 08:53 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Yes! I heard that before...

The questions is who will coach Hamilton ?

Old
09-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Joe Malone

I recall Gainey saying Jarvis would be considered, or offered the position, but this is the first time I've heard anything definite.

Old
09-28-2004, 09:06 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
It's a good time, I guess. No NHL hockey means he can stay in Hamilton for a bit, while a lot of top prospects are down there.

Old
09-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Guy Caballero

It lets Gainey cut Charon from the payroll for the upcoming non-season while retaining Jarvis's services in Hamilton. And we get rid of a guy who wasn't doing a very good job (Charon was in charge of special teams, right?).

Good move all around.

Old
09-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
It's in Pat Hickey's column in today's Gazette.

Good move. His experience should only help a young coach like CJ.

Old
09-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
It's in Pat Hickey's column in today's Gazette.
Thanks Marc. Now, if only there was some NHL hockey....

Old
09-28-2004, 09:50 AM
rocketlives

If Jarvis is promoted to Ass't Coach with the Habs, I would consider Alain Vigneault for the Head Coach job in Hamilton. He has NHL experience and would be a good coach for all our prospects.

Old
09-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
If Jarvis is promoted to Ass't Coach with the Habs, I would consider Alain Vigneault for the Head Coach job in Hamilton. He has NHL experience and would be a good coach for all our prospects.

it wouldnt be bad, but i think it wouldnt happen. simply because it would bring back negative memories to the team. just cant put any name related to the last 10 years.

gotta go with fresh blood, even if i like Vigneault, and i would do it, we need someone who will be able to learn offensive to the players, and not the trap.

Old
09-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I hope it true, i think CJ and Jarvis would make a great duo!!

Old
09-28-2004, 11:54 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20
it wouldnt be bad, but i think it wouldnt happen. simply because it would bring back negative memories to the team. just cant put any name related to the last 10 years.

gotta go with fresh blood, even if i like Vigneault, and i would do it, we need someone who will be able to learn offensive to the players, and not the trap.
I disagree. Vigneault is a good coach and the only people remembering negative stuff would be Habs fans who have watched the painful (aka Houle) era.

Kids like Higgins, Kostitsyn, Komisarek, Plekanec, Urqahart, etc wouldn't be affected by the fact Vigneault had a losing record as a coach of a pathetic NHL team a couple of years ago. Mainly because they don't have any bad memories about it. Most of them probably weren't even cheering for the habs when they were younger (Higgins being an exception it seems).

Good idea rocketlives IMO

Old
09-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Can anyone confirm this? I read it on another board...

"Just a brief in the Gazette but I guess once the season starts, Doug Jarvis will be promoted to assistant coach with the Canadiens replacing Guy Charron."
Ron Wilson will replace Jarvis

Old
09-28-2004, 01:19 PM
db23

It doesn't look like any NHL this year. I would like them to hire Gerry Fleming the former AHL tough guy as the hamilton coach. He is bilingual, raised in Montreal, and has been very successful as a coach and general manager in the ECHL for several seasons. Has a college degree and is a natural leader.

Old
09-28-2004, 01:31 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
It doesn't look like any NHL this year. I would like them to hire Gerry Fleming the former AHL tough guy as the hamilton coach. He is bilingual, raised in Montreal, and has been very successful as a coach and general manager in the ECHL for several seasons. Has a college degree and is a natural leader.

Db help me here, is Fleming currently in the ECHL ? He was a playing asst. coach as his career wound down if I remember correctly. Was he not involved in some controversy ? His name seemd to come up a lot then dropped off the radar. If he's been in the E, fine, but wasn't there a story of some kind ? Not trying to disparage him, I might be mistaken and thinking of something else.

Old
09-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
I remember that guy. He was a friggin beast. Wasn't he, like, 6'6'' 250 or something? Too bad he never really stuck with the Habs. If he became the coach, you know the players would listen to him, at any rate.

Old
09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Db help me here, is Fleming currently in the ECHL ? He was a playing asst. coach as his career wound down if I remember correctly. Was he not involved in some controversy ? His name seemd to come up a lot then dropped off the radar. If he's been in the E, fine, but wasn't there a story of some kind ? Not trying to disparage him, I might be mistaken and thinking of something else.
I don't know of any controversy. Fleming was an extremely popular player with the Habs AHL team for a number of years. I think they may even have retired his number even though he was strictly and enforcer. He was (is) 6-5, 250, very bright and personable. He has been very successful as a coach/G.M. at the minor pro level. In Florida, so he may not want to change jobs.

Old
09-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
I have a bad feeling about this... this could put alot of pressure on Claude Julien.

RH has Vigneault, doesn't like him, brings up MT...

AS has MT brings up his man CJ

BG has CJ brings up his good friend and man DJ

If this is not the case then good, however its hard not to think of it that way... and that would be sad, CJ has the makings of the next great Habs coach if they could give him time

Old
09-28-2004, 02:00 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I don't know of any controversy. Fleming was an extremely popular player with the Habs AHL team for a number of years. I think they may even have retired his number even though he was strictly and enforcer. He was (is) 6-5, 250, very bright and personable. He has been very successful as a coach/G.M. at the minor pro level. In Florida, so he may not want to change jobs.
I must be thinking of something else. If there's a story there, it'll come to me and I'll post it.Fleming is the nephew of Reggie Fleming, one of the all time tough guys from the 6 team league. I saw Gerry Fleming with the Jr. Canadiens, might of been during Lafontaine's year there,not sure, if so that would be the Verdun Jr. Canadiens.

Old
09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
db23

You can get all the info on Fleming at www.floridaeverblades.com. If Montreal doesn't hire him, I have the feeling he will end up coaching some NHL team soon.

Old
Carbo N8

Quote:
He's the nephew of Reggie Fleming, if I remember correctly. Not that that would disparage him. Toughness seems to be in the genes.

Old
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West
I have a bad feeling about this... this could put alot of pressure on Claude Julien.

RH has Vigneault, doesn't like him, brings up MT...

AS has MT brings up his man CJ

BG has CJ brings up his good friend and man DJ

If this is not the case then good, however its hard not to think of it that way... and that would be sad, CJ has the makings of the next great Habs coach if they could give him time
If Gainey and Jarvis were different sorts of people it could be an issue but I don't see it with these 2. It would be different if Carbo was brought in because it would become a media watch.

Old
09-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
If Gainey and Jarvis were different sorts of people it could be an issue but I don't see it with these 2. It would be different if Carbo was brought in because it would become a media watch.
Hey I'm game for anyone to convince me I'm wrong man, I just don't want Julien 2 be fired after half a bad season (AGAIN) just like every other coach montreal's had for how long!! If he was given a good chance then I know he can do amazing things for the habs in the future. I hope he's the coach when we win our next cup.

Old
09-28-2004, 02:24 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20

That's not really fair. Vigneault is a good coach and would be an asset. Just because he employed the trap when we were a bad team doesn't mean he's a one-trick horse. I'm sure he'd be able to institute any other system needed depending on the circumstances.

Old
09-29-2004, 10:52 AM
saskhab

sometimes coaches make better money in junior than in the minors, so money would be an issue for vaigneault. I don't think it's that surprising that Jarvis would be the new assistant, since we didn't bother hiring anyone else to replace Charron.

With Julien, Jarvis, and Melanson we have 3 good coaches. Unfortunately, Green is still around, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Wilson would be the logical AHL guy for the Habs.

Old
09-29-2004, 11:51 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West
Hey I'm game for anyone to convince me I'm wrong man, I just don't want Julien 2 be fired after half a bad season (AGAIN) just like every other coach montreal's had for how long!! If he was given a good chance then I know he can do amazing things for the habs in the future. I hope he's the coach when we win our next cup.
IF Julien start making bad decisions, start losing the confidence of his players, or that things just start going downhill, and the team isn't improving then he'll be fired like any other coach. As long as he is doing a good job - and he has so far - he isn't going to be fired. I just don't see how bringing Jarvis up changes that.

Gainey gave total freedom to Julien to chose his own ass. coaches after the 03-04 season and showed on that day he had complete confidence in him. Julien decided statu quo was the best option for him and the team. So the plan was to keep Charron at first. Jarvis wouldn't have been promoted if Charron had not decided to leave for the Panthers. I think it shows Gainey wasn't hell bent on bringing Jarvis up with the big team. After Charron decided to leave maybe Julien himself proposed Jarvis to Gainey. If not, I REALLY doubt Gainey has forced Jarvis on Julien.

As long as we're winning and improving, Gainey would NEVER fire Julien. You almost never see winning coaches getting fired, unless their team are underachieving badly. It's just asking for trouble. Gainey is not Savard. He understands the intricacies of team chemistry. And it all starts with stability at the top. Gainey is no bush league GM. He wouldn't fire Julien unless he had good reasons and to have his own guy as head coach just isn't good enough of a reason.

Besides, if Gainey had really wanted to have Jarvis (Robinson or Carbonneau) as his head coach, he had a golden opportunity to do so after during the 2003 summer.

Convinced ?

Closed Thread