HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Purpose Alexander Radulov Thread v1.0 (UPD: Does not have to clear waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 02:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
He's coming back ... unless he's not. His actions are indicators of things, and just as meaningful as the other indicators over the past four years. Weber and Suter are definitely gone ... unless they're not and the prodigal Russian is the current key now that we're not getting Parise/B. Ryan/ Staal / whoever at the deadline.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Doing some analysis I asked myself who has depth like Nashville offensively (15+ goal scorers)

Bos & NJD: 7 scorers
CHI & PHI: 6 scorers

The two teams I worry about are Bos and NJD because their defense is on par with Nashville. would Radulov be the difference between Nashville and a Boston? I'm not sure. I could make an argument that Rinne is Better than Marty and Thomas.

I'm just not sure. I think the team is pretty damned good.
Are you considering Yip, Gaustad, Borque and others goal scorers? Heck, calling any of our guys goal scorers is a stretch.

Thomas played lights out in last year's playoffs. Rinne is pretty unproven in the playoffs.

Worrying about Boston and NJ is getting WAY ahead of yourself.

VAN has an extremely deep defense. And 3 legit 1st line players. And bunch of forward depth. And a goalie capable of playing at a high level.

Detroit is a in the same boat as VAN. 3 legit 1st line players. A deep defense. Deep forwards. A goalie capable of playing at a high level. And proven playoff success all around.

We are certainly capable of competing in the playoffs, but not the favorite for sure.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Are you considering Yip, Gaustad, Borque and others goal scorers? Heck, calling any of our guys goal scorers is a stretch.

Thomas played lights out in last year's playoffs. Rinne is pretty unproven in the playoffs.

VAN has an extremely deep defense. And 3 legit 1st line players. And bunch of forward depth. And a goalie capable of playing at a high level.

Detroit is a in the same boat as VAN. 3 legit 1st line players. A deep defense. Deep forwards. A goalie capable of playing at a high level. And proven playoff success all around.

We are certainly capable of competing in the playoffs, but not the favorite for sure.
I was comparing ALL NHL teams. And if you think about it that list only has ONE west team outside of the Preds. Chicago and their defense is not on par. Everyone has fallen into this track of thinking that the Preds need more, constantly more. Yes, it would be nice to have more but believe it or not this team is, AS IS, good enough to get to the SCF. And I care about scoring depth because every team assigns their defense to stop the opposing team's best players. But if all you really have to stop is a 1st line and slow down a 2nd,3rd,4th line. The the job is easy.

Let's think of the players on this roster who can provide a SOLID defense: Weber-Suter, Legwand, Fisher, Gaustad, Spaling, Klein, Josi, Gill and of course Rinne.

The Playoffs are a crapshoot no matter what team you bring but the Preds as is have the elements to score and defend. I'm not saying "HELL NO RADULOV!" I'm just saying be cautious. We don't know what he really can bring to the table. We spend half a season saying the KHL is crap and think the savior is going to come from there?

As is I like this team.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:58 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

In what world do Yip, Gaustad, or Bourque meet the 15+ goal scorer criteria BFC spelled out? The Preds have six players with 15 or more goals (two 20+) right now with another four between 12 and 14.

Vancouver has three players with 15+ (all actually 20+) and another four with 13-14 goals. Detroit has five players with 15+ (three 20+) and three at 12-14 goals.

Hmmmm Preds with ten players at 12+ goals, Van with seven, Det with eight. But yeah, we can't score.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:01 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
In what world do Yip, Gaustad, or Bourque meet the 15+ goal scorer criteria BFC spelled out? The Preds have six players with 15 or more goals (two 20+) right now with another four between 12 and 14.

Vancouver has three players with 15+ (all actually 20+) and another four with 13-14 goals. Detroit has five players with 15+ (three 20+) and three at 12-14 goals.

Hmmmm Preds with ten players at 12+ goals, Van with seven, Det with eight. But yeah, we can't score.
On top of this, The Preds are averaging 2.92 G/game and 2.5 GA/game.

If anything I would love to see Rinne get some more rest and record be damned. Unless the Preds lose 12 games out of 15 they are in.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:09 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
On top of this, The Preds are averaging 2.92 G/game and 2.5 GA/game.

If anything I would love to see Rinne get some more rest and record be damned. Unless the Preds lose 12 games out of 15 they are in.
2.82 g/g

Old
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
2.82 g/g
Sorry about that, looked at the one above. AW HELL WE NEED RADULOV THEN!!!

But it would be interesting the conniptions Trotz could cause. It almost would seem like a free call up for a player.

EDIT: http://en.khl.ru/ Jesus look at that face. Looks like he ate a pile of crap.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:16 PM
predfan98

Well, I have an odd question. if Rad wants to come back and play one game so he has more leverage as an rfa this summer......do the Preds have the right to say, no, show up next year for training camp and play next year to fulfill that last year of your elc?

Old
03-09-2012, 03:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

He said that he was referring to 15+ goal scorers, so Fisher, Hornqvist, Erat, SK, Legwand, and Wilson. It isn't a stretch to consider any of those six players "15+ goal scorers" since they are, in fact, that very thing.

I agree that worrying about an Eastern conference opponent is getting ahead of yourself, but if some people would rather give up than not believe the entire thing is possible. Might as well look at potential SCF match ups.

I'm not going to argue that Nashville has better top-end forward talent than Detroit or Vancouver because it would be an obvious lie. However, Nashville is fourth in scoring in the West. It isn't as if those teams are leaps and bounds better than Nashville.

Also, it's impossible to predict which teams will score at a higher or lower rate in the post season. The idea that goals are at a premium in the post season is not exactly accurate. Some teams score at a lower pace, others score at a much higher pace. Last year six teams scored at a higher pace than Vancouver, who led the league in GPG at 3.15, did in the regular season, and Chicago barely missed tying at 3.14 in the post season. (by the way, the same Vancouver team that led the league in GPG was 14th in GPG during the play offs. Their defense was also dramatically worse in the play offs.) This could work in Nashville's favor like it did last year, or it might not like the year before.

With that said, I wouldn't consider Nashville a favorite right now. With Radulov that could change, but we'd have to see how he plays when/if he comes back over. Our right wing depth would be sick if he is the player we all hope/think he is.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Well, I have an odd question. if Rad wants to come back and play one game so he has more leverage as an rfa this summer......do the Preds have the right to say, no, show up next year for training camp and play next year to fulfill that last year of your elc?
Yes. The Preds are not obligated to lift his suspension just because he wants to come back.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Simple answer ...maybe. The entire situation is an uncharted path.

That approach probably gets the union involved in the form a grievance and with Radulov's rather fickle history I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in the KHL if Poile did that.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

does he have to pass through waivers to play this season?

Old
03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

This is exciting stuff. Come on RAduuuUU!

Old
03-09-2012, 03:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
Not according to Kevin Allen. Section 13.23 isn't being applied here with his suspension under 9.1

Old
03-09-2012, 03:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I don't think anything has been confirmed, but the speculation right now is that he would not have to clear waivers. His return would have to be approved by the NHLPA, though. As another poster said, it would probably be viewed as beneficial to the player to allow his return this season since it would burn the final year on his cheap ELC contract in a shorter amount of time.

If it is determined that he will be exposed to waivers then he will definitely not be returning this season, but with his suspension still being in effect I have a feeling the NHL will view it as a player simply returning from that.

edit: 101st answered better than I did. Sorry. I haven't been around these boards much the past little while so I'm behind.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

Quote:
Not according to Kevin Allen. Section 13.23 isn't being applied here with his suspension under 9.1

thanks for the answers

Hope you guys are enjoying goose

Old
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Chill. I thought he was saying we had 15 goal scorers on the team.

Our goal scoring has improved at that's great. You can use the number of 10 goal stats to say we are on close to DET or VAN or CHI offensive ability. But on a skill basis, they are certainly more skilled than us offensively, and they have proven success in the post season.

I think we have a chance. But they are certainly are the favorites in the West. Not so much becasue they are ahead of us in the standings; primarily because they have proven players who've won in the playoffs many times. Also, teams like STL, CHI, SJS probably have just as much of chance as us. That's why it will be interesting. But yea, I think worrying about how we will match up in finals is getting way ahead of ourselves.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
thanks for the answers

Hope you guys are enjoying goose
He had an assist last night

Old
03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
if there is anyone who thinks that replacing Brandon Yip with Alex Radulov wouldnt make us a better team, I just dont know how to answer you....

I almost wonder if trotz hasnt been juggling a lineup spot or two purposefully so that a Rads return wouldnt truly disrupt anything, since he'd be plugging into a spot that hasnt had a permanent occupant anyway...

Old
03-09-2012, 03:43 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
if there is anyone who thinks that replacing Brandon Yip with Alex Radulov wouldnt make us a better team, I just dont know how to answer you....

I almost wonder if trotz hasnt been juggling a lineup spot or two purposefully so that a Rads return wouldnt truly disrupt anything, since he'd be plugging into a spot that hasnt had a permanent occupant anyway...
It's possible, but the more likely answer for that is what has been told to us; he is keeping everyone fresh. When Trotz said he isn't doing anything differently because Radulov may return I think he was telling the truth.

Old
03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It's possible, but the more likely answer for that is what has been told to us; he is keeping everyone fresh. When Trotz said he isn't doing anything differently because Radulov may return I think he was telling the truth.
Agreed. I don't think Trotz spends any of his day worrying about the Radulov situation. When Poile tells him it's a done deal, he'll start spending his energy thinking about it.

Old
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Yes. The Preds are not obligated to lift his suspension just because he wants to come back.
True, but given Rads' history, I don't know that we'd take that chance. Much better to dangle the carrot of letting him fulfill his ELC in just a few games + playoffs this year, if he'll sign a longer-term deal in return.

Old
03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Chill. I thought he was saying we had 15 goal scorers on the team.

Our goal scoring has improved at that's great. You can use the number of 10 goal stats to say we are on close to DET or VAN or CHI offensive ability. But on a skill basis, they are certainly more skilled than us offensively, and they have proven success in the post season.

I think we have a chance. But they are certainly are the favorites in the West. Not so much becasue they are ahead of us in the standings; primarily because they have proven players who've won in the playoffs many times. Also, teams like STL, CHI, SJS probably have just as much of chance as us. That's why it will be interesting. But yea, I think worrying about how we will match up in finals is getting way ahead of ourselves.
Chill? I honestly thought that word disappeared with Rodier.

Other teams may have a flashier top three, but most lack the top to bottom depth we have. Skill is nothing if not melded into a team. The Islanders, Lightning, and Oilers have tons of offensive skill ... not that it's doing them much good right now. Not a single 2011-12 roster has proven a thing in the post season. The performance of previous rosters is not a guarantee of performance this post season ... if it were, just give Vancouver the Western Conference and Boston the Cup.

If Radulov chooses to come back and is able to readjust to the North American game and applies himself, great ... but that's a lot of ifs.

Old
03-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

This may be the only way to get Radulov back in time for us to still control his RFA rights. He instantly makes our offense more deadly. You add Radulov and suddenly you have two shooters with the ability to pick corners in AK and Radulov. SK has deadly accuracy but is still not much of a shooter. 6 weeks ago we had a deadly offense that churned lines and relied on hard work. Suddenly we have a bigger, stronger lineup, with two additions that unarguably have the best hands on the team. Absolutely, yes, bring Radulov back. I would put Smith on the bench/spot starter if this happens. The only problem is finding a center for the third line that isn't sucking the offensive potential out of the line.

03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
smitty10

If he comes back it will improve Nashville's chance at winning the Stanley Cup.

I hope it happens!

Closed Thread