HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

My December Rankings of the 2012 and 2013 QMJHL drafts:

Old
12-31-2011, 12:01 PM
hockeyallthetime

vCash: 500
Any thoughts on Messenger, Shatford and Mann from the South Shore Mustangs, also Moody from Valley Wildcats?

hockeyallthetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:56 PM
ScouterMan

Any thought on Nick Quillan from Dartmouth? Heard some good things about this kid... And Also Nick Gibson from Halifax..?

ScouterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyallthetime View Post
Any thoughts on Messenger, Shatford and Mann from the South Shore Mustangs, also Moody from Valley Wildcats?
messenger is a solid two way player, low risk very skilled though, just does all the little things right...if he was taller he would be a 1st round pick, but at 5'08 and he is pretty light he will fall to 2nd to 3rd round.

Shatford is wayyyy to small but he is skilled offensivly, not sure if he will get drafted.

Mann is a good defenseman, he is too safe at times I would like to see a player with his puck handling and skating ability to actually jump up and create something or take the puck here and there...he is above average in his own zone, but he is a guy who will be a 4th rounder probably...if he worked on his offensive game because he has all the skills he would be a higher pick.

Moody is probably going to be a 1st round pick...I am starting to question his hockey sense though, he is a very fast skater, excellent two way, physical, gritty...good offense, but though he is a good ppuck handler his handling is choppy at times it is his 2nd effort that recovers the puck, he goes to the net has solid passing and shooting skills...it is his speed, 2nd effort ability and work ethic that makes this guy good

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:27 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouterMan View Post
Any thought on Nick Quillan from Dartmouth? Heard some good things about this kid... And Also Nick Gibson from Halifax..?
Quillan is a speedy dman, loves the offene part of the game, he is smaller but witih his game his height will not hurt him too much, he has good speed, excellent hands on the rush and able to create off the rush...he is one of thebetter offensive dmen in atlantic canada, he needs to get stronger and tougher but his offensive game is great.

Gibson has missed a lot of the season and he stepped in without looking like he missed a beat...he is smart, makes good plays, very quick witted and reacts very fast...he has good hockey sense at both ends, his play will not blow you away but he is solid and smart.

Old
12-31-2011, 04:27 PM
turchi

I saw the Moody kid play against Pictou County a week ago. Solid two-way player that worked at both ends of the ice. He finished well on the chances he had and distributed the puck at the right times. Not afraid to go to the dirty ice even though he is not that big. Once he fills out a bit, he will make some more room for himself in traffic. Looked real good for a 1996-born kid.

turchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:32 PM
ScouterMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Quillan is a speedy dman, loves the offene part of the game, he is smaller but witih his game his height will not hurt him too much, he has good speed, excellent hands on the rush and able to create off the rush...he is one of thebetter offensive dmen in atlantic canada, he needs to get stronger and tougher but his offensive game is great.

Gibson has missed a lot of the season and he stepped in without looking like he missed a beat...he is smart, makes good plays, very quick witted and reacts very fast...he has good hockey sense at both ends, his play will not blow you away but he is solid and smart.
any prediction on what rounds?

Old
12-31-2011, 06:08 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouterMan View Post
any prediction on what rounds?
Gibson - 3rd to 4th I would say

Quillan - 3rd to 4th

Old
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
CrazyCanadian64
Rookie User

Just wondering people's thoughts on Lawrence Lyver on the Cole Harbour Major Midget heard good things.

CrazyCanadian64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:42 PM
hockeyman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Gibson - 3rd to 4th I would say

Quillan - 3rd to 4th
What about Ryan MacEachen?

hockeyman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:45 PM
CheerstoBeers

I was at this tourney and was very pleased with the talent I saw..I am from Maritimes so was following mostly Atlantic. Obviously MacKinnon was dominant, prob best player in tourney even though he didn't dominate the tournament he is still looking like a top pick in next years NHL draft. I thought Atlantic was a little biased towards NB players. Coach is from Fredericton and players seeing most icetime especially with MacKinnon were from Fredericton or NB. Many people talking that it was a NB showcase. He had Zilbert (undrafted) playing with MacKinnon while guys like Falkenham saw limited icetime..I thought the second best forward on Atlantic was Gallant, an underager. When playing with MacKinnon he seemed to be the only one who could keep up with the speed and sense of MacKinnon. He was prob best player on ice in Czech game, getting one goal and having multiple scoring chances. Too bad cause I really thought team Atlantic suffered from a stubborn coach who refused to switch things up even though they weren't working and a refusal to give the best players on the team the ice time they deserved because of where they were from or their age. I think with better coaching Atlantic could of been a bronze medal contender or at least been playing for 5th..my opinion

CheerstoBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerstoBeers View Post
I was at this tourney and was very pleased with the talent I saw..I am from Maritimes so was following mostly Atlantic. Obviously MacKinnon was dominant, prob best player in tourney even though he didn't dominate the tournament he is still looking like a top pick in next years NHL draft. I thought Atlantic was a little biased towards NB players. Coach is from Fredericton and players seeing most icetime especially with MacKinnon were from Fredericton or NB. Many people talking that it was a NB showcase. He had Zilbert (undrafted) playing with MacKinnon while guys like Falkenham saw limited icetime..I thought the second best forward on Atlantic was Gallant, an underager. When playing with MacKinnon he seemed to be the only one who could keep up with the speed and sense of MacKinnon. He was prob best player on ice in Czech game, getting one goal and having multiple scoring chances. Too bad cause I really thought team Atlantic suffered from a stubborn coach who refused to switch things up even though they weren't working and a refusal to give the best players on the team the ice time they deserved because of where they were from or their age. I think with better coaching Atlantic could of been a bronze medal contender or at least been playing for 5th..my opinion
I really don't see how it could be considered an NB showcase when only 5 skaters were from NB and two of them play in the Q and one is playing Jr.A.

I could definitely see why it would be frustrating to have Mackinnon playing with Midget players instead of Q players. I heard that he seemed to quit on the team a few times, i.e. backchecking was non-existant, lazy changes

It is too bad that they couldn't sneak a win a against Quebec and get into the playoff round, but I just don't think there was enough talent to get to a medal game.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:13 PM
hockeyman36

Some other names to look for the 2013 draft Atlantic Canada.. F Curtis Scales CIH Voyageurs, Blake Dalton CIH Voyageurs, F Kari Belec Dieppe, F Brayden White P.E.I , D Tyler Dixon Halifax, F Johnny Jones Halifax, F Drew Packman Gulls, D Will Thompson Ontario Hockey Academy, G Evan Buckle Northern Huskies? G Blade Mann-Dixon Nova Jr X-Men, G Rowan O'Brien Halifax.

hockeyman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:00 PM
tammy104

Do you see any of the 1996's from Cape Bretons Major Midgets going as well.

tammy104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:27 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Apparantly, Daniel Sprong left Montreal and now his playing in the US. I guess he was tired of playing bantam for a 3rd straight year...

http://www.atlantichockey.org/player...layerid=112489

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
IslandScouter

scoutman, any PEI players close to first round picks in 2013?

IslandScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Corgidequebec

My Q 2012 Mock Draft

Scoutman and La La...have mercy on me!

1. Sherbrooke - Daniel Audette
2. PEI - Matthew Highmore
3. Rouyn - Alexandre Carrier
4. Cape Breton - Keven Bouchard G
5. Val (from Drum) - Loik Leveille
6. Val - Alexis Pepin
7. Gat - Duncan Macintyre
8. St.J (from Monc) Mason MacDonald - G
9. BC - Julien Bahl
10. BBL - Matthew Cusson
11. St.J (from Chic) - Alex Gallant
12. BC (from Acadie B) - Cody Donaghey
13. Rim - Lucas Batt
14. BC - Nicolas Hebert
15. Val (from Hal) - Julien Nantel
16. BBL (from Shaw) - AJ Greer
17. Hal - Brendan Nickerson
18. Rouyn (from St.J) - Timothe Simard

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
BLBarmada

Spring should've played espoir !

Cusson won't be drafted in the 1st round if at all. I'm pretty sure he's NCAA bound.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Hockey Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Spring should've played espoir !

Cusson won't be drafted in the 1st round if at all. I'm pretty sure he's NCAA bound.
They wouldn't let Sprong play Espoir. Not sure if Cusson is headed to the NCAA. I doubt it.

Hockey Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buff View Post
They wouldn't let Sprong play Espoir. Not sure if Cusson is headed to the NCAA. I doubt it.
They would let him play espoir ? Really ? Why ?

Old
01-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Hockey Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
They would let him play espoir ? Really ? Why ?
http://westislandgazette.com/daniels...aahockey/27697

Hockey Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
So he can't play espoir cause he's not Canadian ? And he can't play AAA here ?

And now we know why the Dauphins were in 1st place.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:47 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Hockey Quebec..........

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:33 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
The quote at the end of that article by his former coach is the most telling thing about how Sprong has been treated.

Quote:
“Above all else, this is a 14-year-old kid,” Gomez noted. “That’s the unfair part.

"That’s what people forget. There is a kid here.”

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Boston Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTinglebone View Post
I really don't see how it could be considered an NB showcase when only 5 skaters were from NB and two of them play in the Q and one is playing Jr.A.

I could definitely see why it would be frustrating to have Mackinnon playing with Midget players instead of Q players. I heard that he seemed to quit on the team a few times, i.e. backchecking was non-existant, lazy changes

It is too bad that they couldn't sneak a win a against Quebec and get into the playoff round, but I just don't think there was enough talent to get to a medal game.
As a friend of team Atlantic I think you are way off base. MacKinnon keeps getting called the best player in the tourney but good players pass the puck. No doubt his skill is there but he played with 3 different line combinations throughout the week and was never the best line of the night. He would zig and everyone would zag. Great players make other around them better. As far as ice-time is concerned, the NB boys were all deserving of their time. I thought Murphy, Cooper and Zilbert were top 6 all tournament as were Lyle, Fancy and Graves from NS. Too bad team had to have political appointments from PEI and NFLD.

Boston Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:05 PM
ScouterMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy104 View Post
Do you see any of the 1996's from Cape Bretons Major Midgets going as well.
LaLa would know, he's a genius at this stuff

Last edited by ScouterMan: 01-25-2012 at 12:19 PM.