HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

24/7 Road to the Winter Class: Episode 2 (HBO 10PM EST)

Old
12-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Glad I'm not the only one upset about this. It's pretty clear they are trying to build controversy.

But at the same time there are 28 other teams that would kill to be on so I am trying to remain thankful.
Well it'd help if the Rangers won some more games.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:44 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Was there any reasoning as to why they didn't show the Florida victory?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I hear you. But skipping Florida and potentially NJ, plus failing to mention where we're at in the standings to instead discuss how we've "struggled to put together 60 min." It's all true but it is selective editing to build controversy.

Again at the end of the day trying to remain thankful, it's great TV.

12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Hensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
I don't know if any of you guys saw it but after the Yotes game Hank and Dubi waved to some chanting Ranger fans as they were walking to the buses, and then the camera panned to 3 people in Rangers jerseys holding a neon green sign chanting "lets go rangers" on a nearby stairwell. Those were my parents (in a Leetch and Giacomin jersey) and younger sister (in a Gaborik jersey) who waited 45 minutes after the game to hopefully snag a couple pictures of some players, haha. Transplanted Ranger fans living in Scottsdale. I know the clip by heart now, as the three of them replayed it 10 or 11 times, screaming "lets go rangers" each and every time. Never got to hear what Hartnell had to say in the next clip, not that it really matters.....
I did see that and that was awesome, it reminded me of something i did similar in Vancouver after that 4 - 0 win, but i was the only one screaming "let's go rangers" and watching them get back on the bus and there was no HBO Cameras obviously...
I was wearing a Dubi Jersey and my girl friend was wearing her Burrows jersey

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Crease

In episode 1, the narrator mentions that the Flyers are one of the top teams in the league this year, ALONG with the Rangers. In episode 2, the narrator mentions that the Rangers have gotten off to a fast start. There's no bias from HBO. The Flyers were 7-1 in December coming into this week. The Rangers were 5-4. If you want to complain about selective editing, why leave out the fact that they didn't show the Dallas stinker either?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:55 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Was there any reasoning as to why they didn't show the Florida victory?
There was probably little of interest. Blowout wins probably don't produce much in the way of interesting television, I'd wager. I'm much more interested in how a team's players and coach respond to a difficult game than to a big win.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:00 AM
OverTheCap

I don't get the vibe that their trying to portray the Rangers as some bottom feeding team. The whole "struggling to put together a 60 minute effort" came straight from Callahan's mouth so it's not like they made that up out of thin air. And anyone whose watched the games lately can see with their own eyes that the Rangers haven't exactly shown up for a full 60.

And I don't think they deliberately left out the Panthers game to make it seem like the Rangers are a bad team. The show is only an hour long and a week of games has to be edited into 30 minutes for each team. Perhaps the material from the Panthers and Stars games weren't as compelling as the games on the road trip.

Also, as others have mentioned. I'd love to get some insight on Sather and Co. as well, but I'd be shocked if he makes an appearance on 24/7. He avoids the media as it is so I can't imagine he'd make himself accessible for HBO.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Well if you show Sather, how do you avoid a Liev Schreiber summary of "Sather avoided losing his position despite a decade of miserable and pathetic results" beforehand?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
satrabyk

I dont know i loved the episode i dont know what some of you expect. I think they show what they feel is most appealling to the audience and maybe Richie is serious and does not add much so they didnt involve him as much. Gabby ya he seems entertaining a little more camera time possibly but either way the show is awesome.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:55 AM
NickyMaz

Very good episode, I actually say my fiance and myself in the sands at the game in Phoenix. What an awesome experience for our first NHL game, plus it was great having so many Rangers fans in attendance.

I find it interesting how the Rangers are portrayed as more 'fashionable' or stylish but it really is true. It's almost like the Flyers are keeping the cameras at arm's length while the Rangers are embracing the experience more and as a result, getting better coverage.

The best coverage of the episode was from Torts and his relationship with Liam, WOW, my fiance and I were really touched by the that.

http://www.gardenofdreamsfoundation....s-overview.php

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:03 PM
skroob**

tried to re-watch ep2, had to turn it off before i got to the end.

They way they cut it, you would think that the Flyers are a team of destiny while the Rangers are lucky to be in the NHL. They spent 20 minutes cutting around the bad game in STL, then the win in PHO is almost a footnote.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

People need to realize that last year's show was far more "player-driven" than "team-driven (or however you'd like to put this season's show)" mostly because of the players involved.

The general audience knows who Crosby and Ovechkin are, and you can play other characters off them so it's much easier to do a character driven show in that case. Not many people outside of hockey fans know much about the individuals on the Rangers or Flyers, so they are focusing much more on the team as a whole, or small interesting pieces about each player.

Either way, I thought the second episode was good but not that exciting, but neither were the games showcased (STL, PHO aside from the end). I think it'll pick up a lot more when you get into these rivalry games over the next week or so, plus the actual creation of the rink which I find interesting.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Muh
Beadle

Love the show.

Great piece with Torts and the kid, good on Torts to stay in the kids life as a friend and a motivator.

Can't remember how it played out last year, but is it possible some of the players ask not to be featured to much? It is possible HBO cut Stepan and Mcdonagh out a lot as they feel they didn't bring much to the episode. But just curious if said players asked to be left alone, to focus on hockey.

Either way its a great show.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Seems like this Rangers team team is better dressed on the whole than a lot of other teams look to be. I guess they figure they're in New York, might as well take advantage by scoring some sweet threads.
Yeah, GQ down the line. I love what our guys do when they step on the ice, but off....well the Flyers look like hockey players. The Rangers look like fashion models.....hell Avery is a fashion model. It's all good entertaining stuff. A classic New York/Philly contrast. Cheese steak vs Steak tartare. HBO taking full advantage if not slanting it a bit.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
tried to re-watch ep2, had to turn it off before i got to the end.

They way they cut it, you would think that the Flyers are a team of destiny while the Rangers are lucky to be in the NHL. They spent 20 minutes cutting around the bad game in STL, then the win in PHO is almost a footnote.
Oh those scrappy Rangers from their little city!! Us against the world!!

Give me a damn brake with this, will ya? HBO hasnt showed a bias to any team in the least. And when did fans of an NYC team become so damn dramatic over matters like this??

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:52 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Interactions like Matt Carle talking to Giroux, JvR talking to Giroux, and Bryz talking to that guy at breakfast that one morning were just awkward. It's doesn't seem like the Flyers are as tight of a team. The **** at breakfast was just straight up like bullying.

The Rangers players know how to dress, that's what I took out of this average episode (obviously in the grand scheme of things each one is incredible, but I wish there was more behind the scenes, off the ice footage).

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Interactions like Matt Carle talking to Giroux, JvR talking to Giroux, and Bryz talking to that guy at breakfast that one morning were just awkward. It's doesn't seem like the Flyers are as tight of a team. The **** at breakfast was just straight up like bullying.

The Rangers players know how to dress, that's what I took out of this average episode (obviously in the grand scheme of things each one is incredible, but I wish there was more behind the scenes, off the ice footage).
Yeah seriously.

Jagr was like "get away! I want to ****ing eat alone!'

I was like, ouch Jags.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:58 PM
coogz13

Send a message via AIM to coogz13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post

I'm going to just flat out say it; Giroux comes off like a ****ing *******. He's already so arrogant (and for the posters about to drop the "well he's the leading scorer in the NHL argument; that's no excuse to be a c ock. Look at Jagr, look at Gaborik, Hank... All of these guys have more pedigree than Giroux and half of the arrogance). I hate his attitude.

coogz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah seriously.

I was like, ouch Jags.
That was funny and I was laughing. My was wife was watching w/me and said "who the hell does that guy think he is? That was mean!!"

I said "...honey that's Jagr." She just gives me a Blank look. "Well, I thought he played for the Rangers."

Perfect.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Muh
Beadle

I took the Jagr thing as a joke because he knew the cameras were going to follow Bryz, he did seem to have a good laugh when Bryz followed him to the next table. Although the scene then cut away, so we don't know what happened from there.

And even if Jagr liked to eat alone, as we saw when Bryz initially tried to sit with him, I don't see it as a "team" problem. He is a vet in this league, maybe he just likes to eat and focus without any distractions on game days.

And to the poster that said it was his parents and sister, thats awesome. Seemed like Hank and the guys appreciated that, was a good look.

Loved the look into Girardi's home, his kid is a future undrafted shutdown blueliner. Loved while they were sitting there eating Girardi is talking to the kid, then says something along the lines of "you have no idea what I am saying right now".

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:17 PM
ruckus*

Can't believe HBO showed the Bruins beat down of the Flyers. HBO really is doing everything they can to make Philadelphia look bad.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:17 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah seriously.

I was like, ouch Jags.
I wasn't even talking about the Jagr part, although that was hilarious, because I knew Jags was joking.

Harry Zolnieurchuk or w/e was like actually coming off as an ******* at breakfast. He was like harassing Bryz.

And the way Giroux talked to Carle and JvR, it seemed like they had never met each other before. Weird stuff.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:20 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
I took the Jagr thing as a joke because he knew the cameras were going to follow Bryz, he did seem to have a good laugh when Bryz followed him to the next table. Although the scene then cut away, so we don't know what happened from there.

And even if Jagr liked to eat alone, as we saw when Bryz initially tried to sit with him, I don't see it as a "team" problem. He is a vet in this league, maybe he just likes to eat and focus without any distractions on game days.

And to the poster that said it was his parents and sister, thats awesome. Seemed like Hank and the guys appreciated that, was a good look.

Loved the look into Girardi's home, his kid is a future undrafted shutdown blueliner. Loved while they were sitting there eating Girardi is talking to the kid, then says something along the lines of "you have no idea what I am saying right now".
I just picture his parents going, "Landon, what do you want to be when you grow up? An astronaut, a pirate?"

"An undrafted, gritty veteran blue line presence!"

Del Zotto's kid says, "and ya know I wanna quarterback the powerplay"

Old
12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I don't see a bias. Of course they want to make contrasts appear stronger, so the Rangers will be presented as struggling more than they actually do. Makes for better TV, especially if we get back on track (not that we're really off them) and win the Winter Classic.

Loved the bit about Torts and that kid. It's awesome how he called him thrice a week when he was in the hospital. And Bryz... Well, I don't get the guys who actually believe Jagr actually didn't want to sit wit him. He was playing him. Doing what team mates do, with some kind of "**** no, you're not sitting here. You'll draw them cameras", But man, he's one strange dude. "A siberian husky is like a hot chick". Dude.

That scene with Boyle and Prust seemed staged, but it was still funny. Another great episode imo. Can't wait til next week.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Can't believe HBO showed the Bruins beat down of the Flyers. HBO really is doing everything they can to make Philadelphia look bad.
Game. Set. Match. Flyers went 7-1 with the cameras on and HBO chooses to edit out half the wins and show the loss. Clear bias right?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote