HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you were Mark Morris...

Old
12-21-2011, 12:43 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
If you were Mark Morris...

Would you be ready to leave the organization?

Outside of Morris wanting to be a Monarch for life (possible given how long he stayed at Clarkson University) would you (if you were him) elect to move on after the season/contract is done in hopes of finding a better chance to jump to the NHL?

While I'm not going to bag on DL for hiring Sutter until Sutter has had a chance to coach this team, I think it was a bit insulting that after Morris has more than paid his dues in the minors under the DL organization, he doesn't even get a look after TM was fired. It seems pretty obvious that DL elected to speed dial Sutter to bring him in to coach the Kings and that "short list" he spoke off likely only had one name on it.

Morris is 232-152-47 in 5+ seasons as the Monarchs coach and twice led the Monarchs to the 3rd round of the playoffs. This season, without Holloway, Moller, Elkins, Loktionov or Voynov (who scored a combined 89 goals last year) the Monarchs are 18-11-0-2 and sitting second in the conference with Marc-Andre Cliche leading the offense with nine goals. Only two guys (Kozun is the other) are on pace for 20 goals this season, none are due to reach 25. Of the new guys, only Linden Vey (seven goals) has done much of anything to off-set that loss.

I understand why DL went with the veteran coach over the new guy given his ass is in a sling if he doesn't turn the Kings around, but I'm just asking about if you were in Morris' shoes. You're in your sixth year with the organization and had a lot of success in the minors and then you see another guy come in and sign on for at least this year and next. What do you do? Stay with the organization, or leave in search of a better shot at the NHL elsewhere?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

If Morris gets an NHL head coaching offer he'll surely leave (and I would think would be given full permission to do so). If not, I don't know why he would. AHL coaching gigs are scarce in their own right and he's got a good thing going in Manch.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Sutter isn't exactly a spring chicken and Kompon is on a short leash. If Lombardi believes Morris is doing a good job in Manchester he should be patient as he could be up as an assistant with the Kings next season.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
You don't roll with a rookie coach when you change coaches mid-term. Dl need to go with a re-tread.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Defgarden

If disaster strikes with the team and ownership wants to blow things up leadership wise, Morris would do well to stick around. Maybe. I'm sure if an NHL job offer came around, he'd definitely take it.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:06 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Sutter isn't exactly a spring chicken and Kompon is on a short leash. If Lombardi believes Morris is doing a good job in Manchester he should be patient as he could be up as an assistant with the Kings next season.
Morris is actually six months older than Sutter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
You don't roll with a rookie coach when you change coaches mid-term. Dl need to go with a re-tread.
Which is why I said, if you would read my post, that I can understand why DL signed SUtter. I was asking what would you do if you were Morris.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:08 PM
damacles1156

Morris has to wait for an Offer to come his way first. If it does you take it, although not sure I would take an assistant job.

Doing pretty well as a Head Coach in Manchester.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:21 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Agreed... look at what happened when the Penguins did that a couple of years ago....

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote