HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Canada vs The World

Old
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
tombombadil

vCash: 500
Canada vs The World

I put many of the opinions of posters here in very high regard, and recognize that there is much that I don't perceive.... which is why I want your opinions on this-
I want your line-ups for a fantasy Canada vs the World 7 game series, using current NHL rules, rink dimensions being split according to who's home game it is.
Even though this is the history section, and everything in here is rated on career, I want this to be about peak!!! I want you to make your team based on who you would just have to have in order to win if you were either coach (Bowman and Tarasov for me). I want this in the history section, though - because I want older players repped, provided you truly feel they would belong. Myself, I had to cut Howe and Hull, and Harvey, but that is only my opinion, and no opinions are wrong here, I want to get an overall feel, and see which names come up the most. Please keep this honest, and not about your favorite guys, but about who you would HAVE TO HAVE TO WIN. Pretend it's WW3 and the outcome depends on this 7 game series (I don't know why Canada is against the world in WW3, but humor me, please!)

I will start, don't bother tearing it apart, just post your own, no one is wrong, I want everyone's straightforward, honest opinion, without fear of being ridiculed, lol! thanks in advance to anyone who plays along:

Canada

Lemieux-Gretzky-Lindros
Crosby-Sakic-Yzerman
Messier-Trottier-Iginla
Gilmour-Clarke-Francis

Orr-Potvin
Bourque-Coffey
Stevens - MacIniss

Roy
Brodeur

Spares - Neely, Robinson

World (Don't forget Americans!)

Ovechkin-Forsberg-Jagr
Selanne-Fedorov-Bure
Palffy-Stastny-Leclair
Modano-Datsyuk-Kurri

Fetisov-Konstantinov
Lidstrom-Salming
Chelios-Chara

Hasek
T. Thomas

spares - Kharlamov, Leetch

ps - obviously I'm allowing centers to play wing. please limit spares to one forward, and one d. and take your time!

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:35 AM
tombombadil

lol, uh... just put it out of it's misery

Old
12-22-2011, 04:35 AM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
I put many of the opinions of posters here in very high regard, and recognize that there is much that I don't perceive.... which is why I want your opinions on this-
I want your line-ups for a fantasy Canada vs the World 7 game series, using current NHL rules, rink dimensions being split according to who's home game it is.
Even though this is the history section, and everything in here is rated on career, I want this to be about peak!!! I want you to make your team based on who you would just have to have in order to win if you were either coach (Bowman and Tarasov for me). I want this in the history section, though - because I want older players repped, provided you truly feel they would belong. Myself, I had to cut Howe and Hull, and Harvey, but that is only my opinion, and no opinions are wrong here, I want to get an overall feel, and see which names come up the most. Please keep this honest, and not about your favorite guys, but about who you would HAVE TO HAVE TO WIN. Pretend it's WW3 and the outcome depends on this 7 game series (I don't know why Canada is against the world in WW3, but humor me, please!)

I will start, don't bother tearing it apart, just post your own, no one is wrong, I want everyone's straightforward, honest opinion, without fear of being ridiculed, lol! thanks in advance to anyone who plays along:

Canada

Lemieux-Gretzky-Lindros
Crosby-Sakic-Yzerman
Messier-Trottier-Iginla
Gilmour-Clarke-Francis

Orr-Potvin
Bourque-Coffey
Stevens - MacIniss

Roy
Brodeur

Spares - Neely, Robinson

World (Don't forget Americans!)

Ovechkin-Forsberg-Jagr
Selanne-Fedorov-Bure
Palffy-Stastny-Leclair
Modano-Datsyuk-Kurri

Fetisov-Konstantinov
Lidstrom-Salming
Chelios-Chara

Hasek
T. Thomas

spares - Kharlamov, Leetch

ps - obviously I'm allowing centers to play wing. please limit spares to one forward, and one d. and take your time!
The underlined portion, while an opinion, is most definitely wrong. Leaving off the best RW, best LW, and 2nd best D is just... yeah. That's a tough one to swallow. Doubly so if the Hull you're referring to happens to be Brett...

Ultra quick and dirty

Bobby Hull - Wayne Gretzky - Gordie Howe
Ted Lindsay - Mario Lemieux - Maurice Richard
Mike Bossy - Brian Trottier - Bobby Clarke
Bob Gainey - Guy Carbonneau - Jacque Lemaire

Bobby Orr - Doug Harvey
Denis Potvin - Larry Robinson
Ray Bourque - Scott Stevens

Plante
Roy

Alex Ovechkin - Sergei Fedorov - Jaromir Jagr
Ilya Kovalchuk - Peter Forsberg - Brett Hull
Valeri Kharlamov - Jeremy Roenick - Teemu Selanne
Henrik Zetterberg - Pavel Datsyuk - Jere Lehtinen

Nicklas Lidstrom - Slava Fetisov
Borje Salming - Chris Chelios
Vladimir Konstantinov - Sergei Zubov

Hasek
Kiprusoff

The world team is really half assed because I know very little about non-NHL and also because I was almost done with the forwards before I remembered the US and had to stick Roenick and Hull in there (peak value I've got JR above Mo).

Last edited by sparr0w: 12-22-2011 at 05:40 AM.
sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:40 AM
LaughingBeast

Just World's team:
Valeri Kharlamov - Sergei Fedorov - Jaromir Jagr
Jiri Holik -Peter Forsberg - Brett Hull
Milan Novy -Jeremy Roenick - Sergei Makarov
Peter Stastny- Pavel Datsyuk - Teemu Selanne

Nicklas Lidstrom - Slava Fetisov
Zdeno Chara - Chris Chelios
Vladimir Konstantinov - Oldrich Machac

Hasek
Dzurilla

LaughingBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:51 AM
tombombadil

great guys, thanks a lot

Old
12-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Doshell Propivo

Tretiak

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
JackSlater

I am assuming the players have a decent amount of time to develop some chemistry and get accustomed to other ice surfaces.

Canada

Toe Blake

Beliveau Gretzky Bossy
Hull Lemieux Howe
Messier Clarke Lindros
Lindsay Mikita Cook (Bill)
Crosby

Orr Harvey
Bourque Potvin
Kelly Robinson
Pronger

Roy
Brodeur

So many difficult cuts at forward, particularly Morenz and Lafleur. Morenz was a victim of ridiculous centre depth (along with Trottier, Yzerman, Schmidt, Sakic and many others) and Lafleur just did not fit in the bottom 6 while I felt Bossy was a better fit with Gretzky. Beliveau was moved to wing because he was too good to ignore while giving Gretzky's line some size, and Lindros is there because I believe he could thrive in a third line role on this team. He is also the enforcer in the event that any World players start acting up. Shore was cut because I would be nervous having him around with the world on the line. With so many great defencemen already available the risk seemed greater than the reward. Brodeur is picked as backup not because he has the second best peak among Canadian goaltenders, but because he seems to have the best temperament among elite goaltenders for a backup. Sawchuk almost got picked ahead of Roy for #1. Blake seems like a better match for this type of situation than Bowman.

World

Anatoli Tarasov

Ovechkin Fedorov Jagr
Kharlamov Forsberg Makarov
Hossa Malkin Selanne
Alfredsson Datsyuk Kurri
Stastny

Lidstrom Fetisov
Leetch Chelios
Salming Howe
Chara

Hasek
Tretiak

I found it very difficult to come up with World lines that may have chemistry. LW was weak outside of the top two, and the centre depth was not great so it was difficult to make up for it. The LWs for the bottom lines are solid two way RWs who I feel would function basically as well at LW. The top two lines are just really the best available players for those roles, with the hope being that they pull together well enough. I really wanted Novy and Mikhailov but could not find space The defensive pairings are all quite balanced and clearly the goaltending is strong. I am not a huge Tretiak fan but he seems like he would accept being Hasek's backup.

Canada wins WW3!

Last edited by JackSlater: 12-22-2011 at 12:25 PM.
JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
tombombadil

awesome, Jack. I like the way you selected back ups. I also agree exactly about Brodeur.. and it's also why I chose Thomas behind Hasek. He has played half of his life outside of the spotlight, and I think has zero primadonna in him.

The difficulty of the cuts - also agree. i think that's the main reason why I don't want criticism for choices - there are simply too many 10/10 players throughout history, so it comes down to what type of guy you want. This is alos the reason it became Canada vs World, instead of N America vs Europe. The amount of guys that I cringed at cutting was higher on the North American side..... It's nearly perfectly balanced for me, now. There are about a dozen guys on either side that i felt bad not mentioning.