vCash: 500
Any word on the extent of Gilbert's injury? I can't stand "Car-bomb"

Old
01-05-2012, 02:25 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Tortorella fined $30,000 for his comments on officiating during the Winter Classic.

Yipes.
What did he say about the officials?

Old
01-05-2012, 07:48 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
What did he say about the officials?
Quote:
"I’m not sure if NBC got together with the refs and wanted to turn this into an overtime game,” Tortorella said Monday. “For two good referees, I thought that game was reffed horribly.” He also called the officiating “disgusting"
He's also a repeat offender after being fined $10k for the same thing when he was coach of the Lightning.

Frankly, I don't think it's a harsh enough punishment. It's one thing to criticize the performance of the refs, but it's disgusting for an NHL coach to outright accuse them and the league of conspiring to decide the specific outcome of a game.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Torts is such a whiner. Coaches and fans tend to think the same thing, difference is that coaches are trained to, paid to and supposed to keep their mouths shut.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:14 AM
tyratoku

First group of all stars were announced. There is a thread on the main board. I'm on my iPod or else I would link it.

Milan Michalek
Jason Spezza
Daniel Alfredsson
Erik Karlsson
Dion Phaneuf
Tim Thomas

Wow.

That's all I can say. Wow.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
First group of all stars were announced. There is a thread on the main board. I'm on my iPod or else I would link it.

Milan Michalek
Jason Spezza
Daniel Alfredsson
Erik Karlsson
Dion Phaneuf
Tim Thomas

Wow.

That's all I can say. Wow.
Not that the allstar game really means anything, but that's just pathetic. They need to ditch the whole fan voting thing, especially if being an allstar is considered an achievement when looking at accolades for a hall of fame inductees.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Haven't watched much of Ottawa but they must be really good this year.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Who cares though, really? It's an All Star game. Ottawa fans are the ones who will pay through the nose to see it live, let them vote in their starters.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Actually what would be far more interesting is host team vs. the rest of the league's all stars. I might actually watch that.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Host team would be torn to shreds.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Actually highly doubt it. Host team has chemistry and 3rd/4th liners with something to prove, plus home team advantage.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:50 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Barch suspended 1 game for asking PK Subban if he slipped on a banana peel after a fall.

...the ****? Sorry but this is just ridiculous. If he says that to anyone else, nobody thinks twice about it, so I would have to think we'd give him the benefit of the doubt here. Overprotecting minority players is just as racist as underprotecting them.

But then, I generally think it's idiotic that people get fined/suspended for off-handed comments (which, by the old adage, will never hurt you) but not, say, for making a dangerous play to concuss our best goal scorer.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Subban didn't even hear what Barch said.

Don't think it was a suspension worth but maybe it could have been a different story if Subban heard it.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Barch suspended 1 game for asking PK Subban if he slipped on a banana peel after a fall.

...the ****? Sorry but this is just ridiculous. If he says that to anyone else, nobody thinks twice about it, so I would have to think we'd give him the benefit of the doubt here. Overprotecting minority players is just as racist as underprotecting them.

But then, I generally think it's idiotic that people get fined/suspended for off-handed comments (which, by the old adage, will never hurt you) but not, say, for making a dangerous play to concuss our best goal scorer.
Why would he say that to anyone else? He made an incredibly racist comment for the sake of being racist. After the problem earlier in the year, of course the league is going to overreact. I'm a strong opponent of overprotecting minorities, but it's impossible to try to defend that statement. The league might have been overzealous in response, but for a sport that already has a tough time attracting minority fans, and suffered such a terrible incident earlier in the year, they could have suspended him for 10 games and I don't know that I would have blinked an eye.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Doesn't sound racist to me, and stupid reason to suspend someone.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Why would he say that to anyone else? He made an incredibly racist comment for the sake of being racist. After the problem earlier in the year, of course the league is going to overreact. I'm a strong opponent of overprotecting minorities, but it's impossible to try to defend that statement. The league might have been overzealous in response, but for a sport that already has a tough time attracting minority fans, and suffered such a terrible incident earlier in the year, they could have suspended him for 10 games and I don't know that I would have blinked an eye.
Subban fell over embarrassingly right beforehand. Maybe it's just me, but I think banana peels have a much stronger association as "thing you slip on" than as "thing black person handles commonly." Hell, before the banana incident in Hamilton, I had never heard of a banana being a racist icon. Given the context it was easy to piece together, but it's a pretty obscure association (at least here...I think it's more common in Europe.).

Sorry, but this is not "incredibly racist." Dropping an N-bomb is incredibly racist. I might agree that this is vaguely racist, at most. It's completely plausible that he didn't mean it that way, and if he says he wasn't thinking about race, then that's all there is to it. There's no way to know for sure what he meant, so unless it's blatantly obvious that he's lying, there's no reason not to take his word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Doesn't sound racist to me, and stupid reason to suspend someone.
That's what really gets me. Boarding Latendresse and potentially ending his career with the team? No review. Trash talk that people can't even agree is offensive? Well that's an obvious suspension.

Also, just realized I'm wearing my Subban Habs shirt right now.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Haven't watched much of Ottawa but they must be really good this year.
Good enough to be the host team. How great is the NE Division - all six starters?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
01-05-2012, 06:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
are you serious? that's one of the oldest sight-gags in the history of showbiz (slipping on a banana peel). When i see someone go down like that it usually pops into my head along with a slide whistle sound. It was purely a knee jerk over-reaction to the earlier incident; as with some of the early penalties handed out you can tell the refs would much rather be wrong on the side of over-disciplining than be wrong for letting something potentially serious go unpunished.

Old
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

The Bruins are destroying the Flames.

7-0, 2nd period.

Old
01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
The Bruins are destroying the Flames.

7-0, 2nd period.
Dammit, I have got to remember to stay away from this thread when I'm watching games on DVR delay. I just started watching that one and just saw the first goal.

Old
01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
tyratoku

Ugh, Patrick Kane has not done anything recently.

He's on one of my fantasy teams so I realized a while ago that he hasn't been putting up numbers recently but NHL.com/fantasy had an article and at one point they said that Kane has had 1 goal and four assists in 11 games. Wow.

On the other hand, <3 Giroux for dominating and Vrbata for being an awesome late round pickup.

Old
01-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Fel 96
JFC

The Flames players will be mad on Saturday night.

Old
01-05-2012, 07:39 PM
tyratoku

Or they will be so defeated mentally that our weak team might get a goal or two in before they rage and come back to beat us.

I'd take scoring a goal as a victory.

Old
01-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Or they will be so defeated mentally that our weak team might get a goal or two in before they rage and come back to beat us.

I'd take scoring a goal as a victory.
Yeah were pretty much ****ed this Saturday.

I think my will is broken for the time being.

I'd accept just showing some energy as a victory at this point.

Closed Thread