Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 12:36 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Didnt the sharks give up an overtime own-goal in the playoffs last year or the year before?
Yeah, it was Boyle, put one in behind Nabokov. Sharks won the next three pretty handily though. Avs didn't really stand a chance.

Honestly it was as much on the goaltending there as on Boyle though. Should've been ready for that bad bounce.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

24/7 was great as always. My favorite part of the NHL season to be honest.

The Briere kids/situation kind of creeps me out though. It's a little weird. Maybe because he's French?

Girardi's kid is just like mine, running around with the hockey stick. And for some reason my kid was great at one timers too. I noted that he held the stick the same way as his dad (righty) like my kid did naturally compared to me (lefty).

And yes Lundqvist is so suave it's not fair. Loved that he was randomly jamming "My Hero" with John McEnroe. Great collection of amps and gear in that room. DW tubs, Gibson LP's, Bogner and Dr Z amps. Just a nice setup.

Bryzgalov...awesome.

Also, Jaromir Jagr. Holy eff I missed him in the league. He's unbelievably awesome. A buddy of mine hates him because he played for the Rags and Flyers but...come on, we have like two of the great 90's players still around (Selanne) and every season we get with them is fantastic.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For Havlat actually the hammy makes a little more sense. He tried to hop the boards and tore the hammy going over and that's why he fell. He didn't just randomly fall and hurt himself.

It's still a sign that he's in bad physical shape and super injury prone. But at least it's not as pathetic.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:35 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

No idea why the Habs fired Jacques Martin. He never struck me as being incompetent in the way that, say, The Todd was, and it actually looked like they were turning things around. I mean they fired him in the middle of a two-game win streak!

Maybe I'm too quick to judge Cunneyworth but man it looks like things have just absolutely fallen apart in Montreal.

Old
12-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Wow.. I feel bad for Havlat, he looks someone you really dont want to be close cause all the bad karma. Is he a war fugitive or something alike?

Now i have to find another player to watch head fakes
Hope he heals faster.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:09 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
No idea why the Habs fired Jacques Martin. He never struck me as being incompetent in the way that, say, The Todd was, and it actually looked like they were turning things around. I mean they fired him in the middle of a two-game win streak!

Maybe I'm too quick to judge Cunneyworth but man it looks like things have just absolutely fallen apart in Montreal.
Montreal was falling apart before the coaching change. If Gauthier didn't fire Martin, he's was going to be tossed out the door. As the English media has been commenting "Montreal is now 0 for 2 on firing the right guy."

Now as for why he was fired when he was fired, and why Cunneyworth was given the job, the French media is (predictably) obsessed and outraged over a unilingual coach. In their outrage and media circus, no one is paying attention to Gauthier. The hoopla around this should get him through the season at least before anyone's back on his case about it. If you can throw in some Patrick Roy rumors, maybe a good draft or some trades, Gauthier might be able to make it through to next season without losing his job.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think too many coaches get fired way too soon. Look, only 8 teams can make the playoffs of each conference. So half the teams are going to be "failures". Just because you're a big hockey market doesn't mean you're guaranteed a playoff spot.

This was a coach who took a bunch of mismatched players to the ECF when they were barely a playoff team.

Same thing with Boudreau, Murray, and Carlyle. A bad stretch of hockey and they get canned, even after bringing the teams to a level of respectability over the years.

See the franchises that have consistency in their coaching staffs...Nashville, Detroit, Buffalo. You could do a lot worse than those teams.

I dunno, it seems to me that 90% of the game is your players. Almost all your success is the draft and free agency. Blow those two and no matter who your coach is you will struggle.

Sucks that the GM's who screw those up will fire coaches to cover their rears.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:12 AM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think too many coaches get fired way too soon. Look, only 8 teams can make the playoffs of each conference. So half the teams are going to be "failures". Just because you're a big hockey market doesn't mean you're guaranteed a playoff spot.

This was a coach who took a bunch of mismatched players to the ECF when they were barely a playoff team.

Same thing with Boudreau, Murray, and Carlyle. A bad stretch of hockey and they get canned, even after bringing the teams to a level of respectability over the years.

See the franchises that have consistency in their coaching staffs...Nashville, Detroit, Buffalo. You could do a lot worse than those teams.

I dunno, it seems to me that 90% of the game is your players. Almost all your success is the draft and free agency. Blow those two and no matter who your coach is you will struggle.

Sucks that the GM's who screw those up will fire coaches to cover their rears.
I completely agree.

On the ESPN hockey podcast they talked about this exact same thing a few days ago. They were talking about how they can't recall if one team has fired two coaches in one season(not including removing interim(sp?) coaches), but Anaheim or another trigger-happy team could make a move.

Boudreau looks like he hasn't done **** with that team. I don't know what can turn that team around. They have all the talent in the world on that top line, but they have no depth, no defense, and a goalie that is still suffering from his vertigo issues. Boudreau himself I don't think can cut it. Look at his last team in Washington. He had the most talented player in the world in Ovechkin and an amazing supporting cast in Backstrom, Green, and Semin and turned them into a terrible team. They carried him to the playoffs, not vice-versa. His performance in Anaheim so far only reinforces the fact that he is not a good coach, IMO.

They also speculated that if LAKings don't improve vastly by around Mid-January, then the GM's only choice is to move players. They called out Gagne, Doughty, Johnson and Kopitar on poor performance and I completely agree. I wonder if a guy like Zanon could get them interested?

Speaking of Zanon, where does everyone think he'll be headed(if anywhere?). My top three right now would be NY Rangers, Flyers, Nashville in that order. I doubt we'll get better than a 3rd, however.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:19 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I don't really know other teams' needs that well, but I'd say it has to be a team that's playoff bound (since he's a rental) and that has poor defensive depth. Presumably the team would have sufficient offense from their blue line, so no one expects Zanon to produce that way. NYR might be a candidate (not sure on Staal's status, is he back? Coming back? Out?). I'm not so high on Philly's chances of making a move for him because they're likely looking for more puck movement than he provides. Vancouver might be interested. Nashville sounds like they might be as well. Honestly, Chicago might be a destination. They're extremely thin on the blue line. They're also not in our division yet, so trading an expiring UFA to them doesn't hurt us next year.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Washington would be a good fit IMO. They could use another hard worker. Honestly though his defensive gaffes have been mounting the last couple years and he doesn't have the hands or feet to contribute offensively.

With Washington, they just fell apart when Mike Green went out. Fire the coach, replace him, and they still are mediocre.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:41 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I completely agree.

On the ESPN hockey podcast they talked about this exact same thing a few days ago. They were talking about how they can't recall if one team has fired two coaches in one season(not including removing interim(sp?) coaches), but Anaheim or another trigger-happy team could make a move.

Boudreau looks like he hasn't done **** with that team. I don't know what can turn that team around. They have all the talent in the world on that top line, but they have no depth, no defense, and a goalie that is still suffering from his vertigo issues. Boudreau himself I don't think can cut it. Look at his last team in Washington. He had the most talented player in the world in Ovechkin and an amazing supporting cast in Backstrom, Green, and Semin and turned them into a terrible team. They carried him to the playoffs, not vice-versa. His performance in Anaheim so far only reinforces the fact that he is not a good coach, IMO.

They also speculated that if LAKings don't improve vastly by around Mid-January, then the GM's only choice is to move players. They called out Gagne, Doughty, Johnson and Kopitar on poor performance and I completely agree. I wonder if a guy like Zanon could get them interested?

Speaking of Zanon, where does everyone think he'll be headed(if anywhere?). My top three right now would be NY Rangers, Flyers, Nashville in that order. I doubt we'll get better than a 3rd, however.
I thought it was ****ing absurd when Washington fired Boudreau. Even counting his struggles this year, he had a .671 win percentage. Multiple Presidents' Trophies, and had never finished without a division title, let alone outside the playoffs. His "abysmal" performance this year was still a winning record––12-9-1 really isn't that bad. It was a horribly reactionary decision and I think it had more to do with not wanting to piss off Ovechkin than anything else. Players should not be making management personnel decisions, and if I were them I'd be worried; they really need to give Ovi a shorter leash.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I thought it was ****ing absurd when Washington fired Boudreau. Even counting his struggles this year, he had a .671 win percentage. Multiple Presidents' Trophies, and had never finished without a division title, let alone outside the playoffs. His "abysmal" performance this year was still a winning record––12-9-1 really isn't that bad. It was a horribly reactionary decision and I think it had more to do with not wanting to piss off Ovechkin than anything else. Players should not be making management personnel decisions, and if I were them I'd be worried; they really need to give Ovi a shorter leash.
Boudreau still having a job this year (after last year's playoff flame out) was a joke. They should have gotten rid of him in the offseason. With Washington's roster, Todd Richards probably makes the playoffs all those years that Boudreau did. When he couldn't even lead the Southeast in the regular season, he had to go. GMGM got rid of him while there was still time to turn things around.

As for Anaheim's coaching change, Carlyle is a good coach, but he lost the locker room. From all the comments that have come out since the change, it's pretty clear he didn't have sway with the players, and once that happens you just have to call it quits. Was hiring Boudreau the right move? Maybe not, but Carlyle just couldn't cut it anymore.

Old
12-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/v2/ext/201...-button-a.html

Oh man, that's great.

Old
12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Watching 24/7, that Torts - Liam relationship is pretty touching.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Dear god.

**** that awesome makes me wish I had been born a Hawks fan.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Installed QuickTime and still cannot watch it...?

Sometimes I hate computers.

Old
12-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Oh Bryzgalov...

Old
12-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Fel 96
JFC

What a goal by Pouliot.

Bruins now lead 3-0 against the Panthers. Poor Theo..

Old
12-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Old
12-23-2011, 08:42 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Bruins up 8-0?

Oh lawdy.

At least we're not the only good team collapsing. I still fully expect the Panthers to make the playoffs though.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
I think Eric Nystrom just passed his career high in goals. Nope.

Last edited by Haite: 12-23-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old
12-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
#Coyotes Recall McElhinney, O'Sullivan from AHL http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=608173
http://twitter.com/#!/phoenixcoyotes...24644157685761

Old
12-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
I think Eric Nystrom just passed his career high in goals. Nope.
http://twitter.com/#!/DallasStars/st...92442154213376
Quote:
Congrats to Nystrom who now has scored a career high number of goals (and counting) in a season with 12

Old
12-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Cam Ward got his first NHL goal tonight.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?...=sb:gamecenter

Quote:
Credited after Kovalchuk passed the puck into his own net, Cam Ward is the first goalie to score a goal in team history.
http://twitter.com/#!/MikeSundheim/s...94794877730819

Last edited by Fel 96: 12-26-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old
12-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Closed Thread