HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shin Pads

Old
12-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Torquenstein

vCash: 490
Shin Pads

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for suggestions on shin pads. Right now I have Bauer One 15s, and I know that they are crap
So for christmas I'm looking vor new ones. They should be in the mid Price range and should offer some decent protection.
So far I have tried out the Sherwood T90 and the Warrior hitman. Both I liked.

Thanks in advance!

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Not sure where they fall in line vs. other brands/trim lines, but I have RKB 10K and love them. Best shin guard I've ever had, but before I bought these I'd only had cheapo sets which got the job done decently enough.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:05 AM
AIREAYE

The 10Ks might be a little too pricey for his needs. Do you have any place to try them on to see what you like? The Hitman pads are going to be quite narrow compared to your Supremes and the T90 is a top end pad.

It depends on whether you like a bulkier fit or a slimmer fit. If the former, continue with Supreme, try Reebok or Easton. If the latter, try Vapor, the older Warrior pads or even the newer CCM. IMO if you can find older RBK branded gear like the 6K Fitlite, that would be good for a wider fit. If you can find older CCM V06 or V08, those are great as well.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
The RBK 10K's are like $200 aren't they? The RBK 5K's I think it is should only be $100 and offer the same amount of protection, the brand has two basic designs one skinny and the other with extra side/back protection.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
The RBK 10K's are like $200 aren't they? The RBK 5K's I think it is should only be $100 and offer the same amount of protection, the brand has two basic designs one skinny and the other with extra side/back protection.
10Ks are beefier in padding all around. But at/around the $100 level, I'd take a look to the Easton Synergy line. I was looking at some of those and they were my favorite aside from the 10Ks.

Old
12-05-2011, 02:25 PM
newfr4u

i have regular shin pads for games where are fine, but they are really wide. i am looking to get something much-much lighter for stick-n-puck sessions where i don't wear full gear, and/or coaching. just something that i can work with and practice hard, not be afraid to fall, but lighter than game gear, perhaps something that fits under normal athletic pants.

i've been looking at ref equipment. any suggestions?

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just use foam volleyball shin pads when I'm playing shinny, stick and puck, skating, etc. Also use foam elbow pads.

For full size pads, anything that fits and doesn't slide around when you move is fine. Donut style padding and removable liner is a plus. Calf protection if you play around the net is a consideration.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:21 PM
newfr4u

interesting. how about hip/butt protection? anything like a girdle?

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
I play inline and never wore a girdle or upper leg padding until just recently. I caught a slapshot dead to my quad and it left a puffy bruise which lasted for a couple weeks. Went out and bought one of these:

It's light and breathable, though it is warm. I feel it mostly during warmups or when not yet active, but once I'm playing it's like it's not even on me.

This was rather cheap compared to some others that provide great protection, I believe retail is around $70. Mission has another Thorax model (not the "Flow" as this one is) which has no upper band of protection for the kidneys and has smaller pads. I think it's $40 and the padding on the quads, at least, is smaller. I almost bought that one but when I tried it on I noticed that the part of my leg at which that puck nailed me was still exposed.

Bauer and Warrior make some really nice ones, I've come to find. Almost bought a One95 girdle but the price difference between it and the Mission was too great and the pieces for my intended use were comparable. The Bauer did have adjustable velcro leg wraps allowing for a finely-tuned tightness on your legs, but the Mission one fits me very well so I lucked out and it's a non-issue.

For ice, I always just wore full pants but then again that was long enough ago that I don't believe girdles were commonplace yet.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:51 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquenstein View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for suggestions on shin pads. Right now I have Bauer One 15s, and I know that they are crap
So for christmas I'm looking vor new ones. They should be in the mid Price range and should offer some decent protection.
So far I have tried out the Sherwood T90 and the Warrior hitman. Both I liked.

Thanks in advance!
I like the CCM line because of their cross-over strapping system. I believe the U+ 7 is the midprice shin and it has a decent calf wrap too, good value for the money. I do not think you can go wrong with Sher-wood or Warrior either.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
No, it'd be nice but never felt the need. Maybe once or twice in the last six years I've fallen down and bruised myself?

Usually in shinny or stick and puck I'm not pushing it hard so if I fall I can pretty easily land on my knees or elbows which have padding. If I'm playing with anyone else for real I wear full gear.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:50 AM
hyster110

as explained to me when i bought mine, go for which feel the best, all hockey shin pads offer the same basic amount of protection so which ever feel the most comfortable of your legs should be the ones you go with,

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Stickmata

Ccm U+

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Torquenstein

[QUOTE=AIREAYE;40353281

It depends on whether you like a bulkier fit or a slimmer fit. If the former, continue with Supreme, try Reebok or Easton. If the latter, try Vapor, the older Warrior pads or even the newer CCM. IMO if you can find older RBK branded gear like the 6K Fitlite, that would be good for a wider fit. If you can find older CCM V06 or V08, those are great as well.[/QUOTE]

I like a bulkier fit, I think. Right now I'm looking at some Easton S17, they seem great, and are only 20 more than the Sherwood pads.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:14 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
as explained to me when i bought mine, go for which feel the best, all hockey shin pads offer the same basic amount of protection so which ever feel the most comfortable of your legs should be the ones you go with,
Yup, it sounds strange to people new to the sport but each brand, each piece of equipment fits differently. Once you've been playing for a long time you learn this by buying the wrong brand or something that just doesn't fit good or feel right. When it comes to shin pads I've been using Easton's for years, never had a problem, always fit good, always feel right and I like their little innovations they come up with. I'm using the Stealth S19's and love them although I think they are out of the OP's price range. My advice, pick a day where you have enough free time to try on as many brands as you can in your price range and buy the pair that fits the best. There should be one brand that just fits better than the others, at least that's what I've found in my 18 years of spending money on hockey equipment.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:29 AM
cherrypik

Any thoughts between these two:
Reebok 7K Shin Guards vs. Bauer Vapor X:40 Shin Guards

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Evil Ted

Get easton from canadian tire they are like 30$ when on sale and there is hardly any difference between them and a 70$ pair. Hockey equipment is over priced.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Torquenstein

Sherwood T90 it is. They fit the best and where pretty cheap

Old
12-21-2011, 10:02 PM
emgsa85

I have the Easton EQ40 and I love em. Bulky but comfortable at the same time