HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Can a kid be a great skater but have slow acceleration??

Old
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
happyhab*

vCash: 500
Can a kid be a great skater but have slow acceleration??

A question for the more experienced people around here, my son is 9 and is a great skater for his age, when he wheels, there is no one faster than him probably in his league (AAA) maybe a few kids as fast. (Remember I'm just stating what I see) but when he goes from a stop position he is average to below average. Can he work on this and what should he work on to gain that speed from a stopped positon.

Thanks for your advice

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
A question for the more experienced people around here, my son is 9 and is a great skater for his age, when he wheels, there is no one faster than him probably in his league (AAA) maybe a few kids as fast. (Remember I'm just stating what I see) but when he goes from a stop position he is average to below average. Can he work on this and what should he work on to gain that speed from a stopped positon.

Thanks for your advice
Since we are talking about 9 year olds at a AAA level, i'm just assuming that they have great coaching and conditioning and so on.

So i'll ask the most obvious question...

Is your son taller than most kids on his team. In general, most shorter players have quicker acceleration than taller players since their strides are shorter. However, taller players while having slower acceleration are faster skaters since they can make longer more powerful strides.

Its not true in all cases, but when you have 9 year olds, who all grow and develop at a different rate, i'm guessing it just might be a size issue.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Pretty standard for younger kids.

Quick acceleration calls for short strides and quick feet. Top end speed is longer strides that are more focused on power. The technique for each is quite different.

My son is 7 and he is the opposite. He is the quickest skater on his team with short powerful strides but there are a couple of kids who are much faster top speed. We work on him lengthening his stride to improve his speed every time we are on the ice.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:25 PM
r3cc0s

if you watch bowmeester, his starts don't seem overly fast... but his extention and glide is beautiful...

not quite neidermeyer beautiful though

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:12 PM
ean

Yes, look at Anze Kopitar.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I'm like that when it comes to running and skating. Just like everyone else said, depends on size at that age.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:17 PM
happyhab*

sorry for the late reply, my kid is of average height, so not that tall. He is a great skater, but his take off speed is slow, I just need to know what he needs to do to get faster, or is it just age, and it all changes later

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:25 PM
jwitz04

no. your kid is not a good skater

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Jumbo*

He needs to do explosive exercises. He is too young to go to the gym, but the most effective thing for him to help him accelerate faster: Sprints up hills.

You will see a huge improvement his is acceleration after he does these for a few weeks/months.

The steeper the better, it can be a grass hill or something, doesn't matter.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
you need your child to work on exercises to increase fast twitch muscle movement.

http://www.athleticquickness.com/page.asp?page_id=15

i know your kid is nine and you dont want to be forcing them into exercses or weight training at that age so turn the simple exercises into fun games. i always get my kids to have wheel barrow races around the house, i hold their legs and they walk on their hands, it is fun for both of us but it also helps their bodies develop core strength as well as arm strength. im sure there are lots you could do with the legs as well.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:47 PM
RJ8812*

Chris Pronger?

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 07:01 PM
shawn1331

Well, no he isn't a good skater. Alot of kids at that age aren't the best at something but they can fly. So they may have weak edges or like your son weak acceleration. If that doesn't improve his game will start to decline around peewee and bantam when the game is more about passing and less about individuals skating the puck up.

And you have to remember that the players in the NHL that have slower acceleration are still EXCEPTIONAL skaters. Even some of the grinders (chris neil) lead there teams in scoring at some point in their career. The worst hockey player in the NHL is still an incredible player, minus biznasty.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:06 AM
jwitz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
Well, no he isn't a good skater. Alot of kids at that age aren't the best at something but they can fly. So they may have weak edges or like your son weak acceleration. If that doesn't improve his game will start to decline around peewee and bantam when the game is more about passing and less about individuals skating the puck up.

And you have to remember that the players in the NHL that have slower acceleration are still EXCEPTIONAL skaters. Even some of the grinders (chris neil) lead there teams in scoring at some point in their career. The worst hockey player in the NHL is still an incredible player, minus biznasty.

even Gillies and Konopka??

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:55 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitz04 View Post
even Gillies and Konopka??
How could I forget Gillies, yeah hes bad too.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
sirMcDuck

When he gets strenght to his feets acceleration will improve. When he starts to go gym he should focus legs but not too much 'coz that would be harmful to overall speed.

Damn! It's frickin hard coach a boy to the NHL..

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Badger36

By definition, he cant be a great skater with slow acceleration. Its something that may come along as he gets older and stronger though. If you have him focus on improving the strength of his legs and his foot speed his acceleration may improve though.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
DJ Breadman

Yes, he can be have a great skating style, stride etc and not have a quick first step but the good thing about that is it can be improved upon

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote