HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Randy Cunneyworth: a breath of fresh air

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
  #1
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Randy Cunneyworth: a breath of fresh air

It's only been two games and he finally was able to have a full practice with his "interim" team. But already, we can see the difference between Martin's system and what Cunneyworth is trying to implement.

First, we can notice that he preaches a much stronger forecheck with better support for the puck carrier to generate offense and scoring opportunities, which will suit a fast so much more than the passive and laid back style of Martin.

Also, it has been extremely noticeable that he wants his defensemen to be more active in supporting the offense, at least those who can do it. I don't know how many times already we've seen Kaberle, Subban, Campoli, Diaz getting deep into the attacking zone while a forward stayed back. This reminds me a lot of Alain Vigneault's new system since Mike Gillis took over as GM in Vancouver.

Of course, such aggressive forechek will, from time to time, create some odd man rushes the other way but with one of the best goalies in the NHL in net, it's a gamble I'm more than willing to work with. Also, more skating also means rotating four lines to keep everyone fresh, as it was painfully obvious that under Martin's three line system, they were running out of juice in the third period.

I can't wait to see Cunneyworth's team in a few weeks, with some quality practice time under their belt.

For those you can read French, here's a great article by Marc Antoine Godin, with comments from the players supporting what I'm advancing here.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
  #2
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's only been two games and he finally was able to have a full practice with his "interim" team. But already, we can see the difference between Martin's system and what Cunneyworth is trying to implement.

First, we can notice that he preaches a much stronger forecheck with better support for the puck carrier to generate offense and scoring opportunities, which will suit a fast so much more than the passive and laid back style of Martin.

Also, it has been extremely noticeable that he wants his defensemen to be more active in supporting the offense, at least those who can do it. I don't know how many times already we've seen Kaberle, Subban, Campoli, Diaz getting deep into the attacking zone while a forward stayed back. This reminds me a lot of Alain Vigneault's new system since Mike Gillis took over as GM in Vancouver.

Of course, such aggressive forechek will, from time to time, create some odd man rushes the other way but with one of the best goalies in the NHL in net, it's a gamble I'm more than willing to work with. Also, more skating also means rotating four lines to keep everyone fresh, as it was painfully obvious that under Martin's three line system, they were running out of juice in the third period.

I can't wait to see Cunneyworth's team in a few weeks, with some quality practice time under their belt.

For those you can read French, here's a great article by Marc Antoine Godin, with comments from the players supporting what I'm advancing here.
Thanks for this. Just to clarify, are you saying you watched the practice, or are basing this on accounts of some who did? If so, that's great news. Exactly the way we should play. Up-tempo and aggressive and we're hard to play against.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
  #3
Habs Junkie
Registered User
 
Habs Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's only been two games and he finally was able to have a full practice with his "interim" team. But already, we can see the difference between Martin's system and what Cunneyworth is trying to implement.

First, we can notice that he preaches a much stronger forecheck with better support for the puck carrier to generate offense and scoring opportunities, which will suit a fast so much more than the passive and laid back style of Martin.

Also, it has been extremely noticeable that he wants his defensemen to be more active in supporting the offense, at least those who can do it. I don't know how many times already we've seen Kaberle, Subban, Campoli, Diaz getting deep into the attacking zone while a forward stayed back. This reminds me a lot of Alain Vigneault's new system since Mike Gillis took over as GM in Vancouver.

Of course, such aggressive forechek will, from time to time, create some odd man rushes the other way but with one of the best goalies in the NHL in net, it's a gamble I'm more than willing to work with. Also, more skating also means rotating four lines to keep everyone fresh, as it was painfully obvious that under Martin's three line system, they were running out of juice in the third period.

I can't wait to see Cunneyworth's team in a few weeks, with some quality practice time under their belt.

For those you can read French, here's a great article by Marc Antoine Godin, with comments from the players supporting what I'm advancing here.
That's exactly how I've felt for a long time and couldn't understand why the canadiens were playing such a defensive system under Martin.

Good post!

Habs Junkie is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
  #4
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Thanks for this. Just to clarify, are you saying you watched the practice, or are basing this on accounts of some who did? If so, that's great news. Exactly the way we should play. Up-tempo and aggressive and we're hard to play against.
I didn't watch the practice. I'm going on what MAG has said watching the practice and also on the quotes from the players in his article. It'd be worth for someone to translate, at least the quotes. It's also based on what I've noticed in those two games already.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
  #5
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I didn't watch the practice. I'm going on what MAG has said watching the practice and also on the quotes from the players in his article. It'd be worth for someone to translate, at least the quotes. It's also based on what I've noticed in those two games already.

Either way, that's great news. I've been screaming at my TV for two years about the lack of forecheck and puck support and the retreating D.

What do the top teams all have in common? Their D push up along the wall to create havoc. That's very hard to combat as long as your centre is doing his part. Not a hard thing to master. I sure hope MAG is right.

The Habs are a handful if they play that way.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
  #6
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Friendly reminder that the discussion in this topic will be kept to Cunneyworth's abilities as a coach, systems, lines, etc. You know where to go to talk about other stuff.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
  #7
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Thanks for the article! Good to know someone is behind the bench who recognizes that his small, fast team is better suited playing an up-tempo, aggressive-on-the-puck game.

jwolf is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
  #8
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,701
vCash: 500
RC needs a streak!

Born in 1909 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:53 PM
  #9
AreYouHockey
Registered User
 
AreYouHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Looking forward to see some of these details tonight.
I really hope Budaj can help us win this one, would be very motivating for the whole team and fans.

AreYouHockey is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
  #10
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
I like the way Randy has rewarded key players, like Darche, by upping his ice time while punishing problem players, like Emelin for actually trying to hit.

dynastyREredux is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
  #11
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,216
vCash: 500
The team has definitely appeared more aggressive, but it has come at the expense of tightness on the back end. The problem this season is that the defensive side of the habs has been sloppy all season long and it has looked even sloppier since the hiring.

He hasn't had much time to work with the team, but I hope the defense can play a little tighter than it has.

Andy is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 02:35 PM
  #12
patsbury
Registered User
 
patsbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal or Drummond
Country: Canada
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
RC needs a streak!
He's 0-2 so far, loosing streak counts?

patsbury is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 02:36 PM
  #13
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The team has definitely appeared more aggressive, but it has come at the expense of tightness on the back end. The problem this season is that the defensive side of the habs has been sloppy all season long and it has looked even sloppier since the hiring.

He hasn't had much time to work with the team, but I hope the defense can play a little tighter than it has.
This. It's a good system to have if you have stalwarts at the defensive position. We don't. We have rookies, sophomores and Hal Gill. Not a good mix.

m00ks is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 02:43 PM
  #14
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
So asterix, giving you standards of how you called out people to be blindly praising/optimistic about martin, aren't you blindly praising and optimistic about Randy C right now? given the little information there actually is about his "system" and given the small but negative sample of results, looks like your the blind sheep now.

uiCk is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 02:51 PM
  #15
Theberge43
Registered User
 
Theberge43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
I like the way Randy has rewarded key players, like Darche, by upping his ice time while punishing problem players, like Emelin for actually trying to hit.
Oh ... I see what you did here ...

Theberge43 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:01 PM
  #16
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
So asterix, giving you standards of how you called out people to be blindly praising/optimistic about martin, aren't you blindly praising and optimistic about Randy C right now? given the little information there actually is about his "system" and given the small but negative sample of results, looks like your the blind sheep now.
Harsh, but true.

Andy is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
  #17
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 500
lol. Breath of fresh air all right. Two straight losses in which we allowed 8 goals and a language debate making national news. Things are just peachy!

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
  #18
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 500
Gotta give the team and RC a chance here guys, the only thing I would do different is have Emelin in and have him playing on his natural side...the kid is a beast and our only D who punishes the opposition...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:08 PM
  #19
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Gotta give the team and RC a chance here guys, the only thing I would do different is have Emelin in and have him playing on his natural side...the kid is a beast and our only D who punishes the opposition...
There's giving him a chance and there's living in la la land. But you're right, we should be positive and let the guy show what he can do behind the bench. It's not his fault we lost a good coach.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
  #20
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
There's giving him a chance and there's living in la la land. But you're right, we should be positive and let the guy show what he can do behind the bench. It's not his fault we lost a good coach.
lol, twist the knife uch, do you. Wounds, meet salt.

Gros Bill is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:18 PM
  #21
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
So asterix, giving you standards of how you called out people to be blindly praising/optimistic about martin, aren't you blindly praising and optimistic about Randy C right now? given the little information there actually is about his "system" and given the small but negative sample of results, looks like your the blind sheep now.
It would be easier if you wrote this in English or in French as I can read both, but I'm struggling to see your point here.

Are you telling me that I was calling out people for blindly supporting Martin? If that's the case, you're misinformed, unless you're referring to me putting down Martin and his system, but there's a huge difference there.

Also, how is the word "blindly" valid regarding what I've observed of the changes so far? I simply said that I like what I'm seeing. We certainly don't have the same definition of "blind"...


Last edited by Habsterix*: 12-21-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Habsterix* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
  #22
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Gotta give the team and RC a chance here guys, the only thing I would do different is have Emelin in and have him playing on his natural side...the kid is a beast and our only D who punishes the opposition...
Agreed. As a matter of fact, the only left-handed defenseman comfortable playing on the right side is Josh Gorges but something tells me that he'd look good at forward and in goal... he's that kind of guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
There's giving him a chance and there's living in la la land. But you're right, we should be positive and let the guy show what he can do behind the bench. It's not his fault we lost a good coach.
Indeed. Certainly not Cunneyworth's fault if we've lost Boucher and Muller, as a bad coach (Martin) was still employed.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:23 PM
  #23
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Agreed. As a matter of fact, the only left-handed defenseman comfortable playing on the right side is Josh Gorges but something tells me that he'd look good at forward and in goal... he's that kind of guy.


Indeed. Certainly not Cunneyworth's fault if we've lost Boucher and Muller, as a bad coach (Martin) was still employed.
I see what you did there.

Anyway, just feeling a bit bitter these days I really liked Martin. I know I'm part of a very small minority but I thought he was a very solid coach for this team. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
  #24
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,389
vCash: 500
Go RC. I hope you succeed and then learn French so you can tell both English and French pundits to pound sand and both will understand.

I've hardly seen such a raw deal

Boris Le Tigre is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 03:28 PM
  #25
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I see what you did there.

Anyway, just feeling a bit bitter these days I really liked Martin. I know I'm part of a very small minority but I thought he was a very solid coach for this team. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
I know Jigger and I'm teasing you. I respect that some people liked Martin. I just can't agree. Doesn't make you wrong and me right, it's a matter of taste. I can't stand him or his style.

Habsterix* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.