HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Got to thinking....

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Got to thinking....

Our coaching situation is what it is. Then last night it hit me. Capuano isn't going anywhere. Aren't we still paying Gordon for a 1 or 2? So therefore Wang is currently paying 2 coaching salaries. Wang is NOT going to take on a 3rd coaching salary. Therefore Capuano is here for the immediate future if not season regardless of the results he produces. Shy of Tavares and other players going to Wang and asking for someones head, Capuano is your coach.

12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Chardo

Capuano is not the problem. It all stems from Garth's failure to bring in quality veterans.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:40 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Capuano is not the problem. It all stems from Garth's failure to bring in quality veterans.
which stems from wangs unwillingness to spend...which stems from you guessed it, the arena situation

Old
12-23-2011, 01:06 PM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
which stems from wangs unwillingness to spend...which stems from you guessed it, the arena situation
Hmmm, pretty sure they made Ehroff a huge offer. So the issue isn't that. The issue is creating a culture no one wants to be a part of.

Snow had one quality signing this summer, Marty Reasoner, and he has been a huge disappointment so far.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Dear Ten Minute Misconduct,

Due to your spot on analysis, I am now annoyed and you've ruined the next 15-20 minutes of my life.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Hmmm, pretty sure they made Ehroff a huge offer. So the issue isn't that. The issue is creating a culture no one wants to be a part of.
Well, they did make Ehrhoff a big offer, but that doesn't mean that the Isles wouldn't still be at the cap floor right now. They just wouldn't have brought on Rolston.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
JKP

Quote:

Snow had one quality signing this summer, Marty Reasoner, and he has been a huge disappointment so far.
Snow had one quality UFA signing. He had a few quality signings (Tavares , Okposo, Grabner) of people that do want to be part of the culture here.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:05 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Snow had one quality UFA signing. He had a few quality signings (Tavares , Okposo, Grabner) of people that do want to be part of the culture here.
Signing your RESTRICTED free agents is nothing to brag about. They have to sign otherwise you look like Turris.

Players want the contract first bc it runs with them no matter where they play. As long as they have financial security, then they can demand a better environment.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Hipietro

I think its become clear for most of us fans that anything that could possibly improve this team that costs money will not happen.

Wang simply does not care AT ALL about the fans or winning games.

As long as he is the owner, the Islanders will be terrible. Simple as that.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Renbarg

Cappy shouldn't get fired.

However, Gordon only signed one contract with the Islanders; and that was at the beginning of the his first year; it was reported to be a 3 year deal. And if that is true he no longer has a contract with the Islanders.

*EDIT

And people believe this kind of crap when there is not one grain of truth to it.

Last edited by Renbarg: 12-23-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old
12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Hip Of Rick

Gordon is an assitant for the leafs I believe. If so wouldn't he have to void any deal he had with us to take that job?

Old
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Cappy shouldn't get fired.

However, Gordon only signed one contract with the Islanders; and that was at the beginning of the his first year; it was reported to be a 3 year deal. And if that is true he no longer has a contract with the Islanders.

*EDIT

And people believe this kind of crap when there is not one grain of truth to it.
He was fired in his second year. Therefore this would be Gordon's 3rd year coaching. Capuano took over during year two. Therefore we are still paying 2 coaches. Most standard contracts we hear about are for 3 years and I believe (although I can't find) that was what we did with Gordon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5808569
Gordon was a relative unknown from the AHL when hired by the Islanders in 2008. In two-plus seasons with New York, Gordon went 64-94-23 -- the lowest points percentage in the NHL. He will remain with the organization as an adviser to Snow.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Gordon is an assitant for the leafs I believe. If so wouldn't he have to void any deal he had with us to take that job?
I don't believe so.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:46 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:

That offer only signifies that he is willing to spend to the bottom of the cap floor. What all of us mean when we say, "He isn't willing to spend..." is that he isn't willing to spend past the cap floor. That's what makes him a ruinously cheap owner.

If the guy actually believed the lies he spews about caring about the club and the development of the kids he'd inject enough money to get into the middle of the pack of all the clubs salary-wise.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
He was fired in his second year. Therefore this would be Gordon's 3rd year coaching. Capuano took over during year two. Therefore we are still paying 2 coaches. Most standard contracts we hear about are for 3 years and I believe (although I can't find) that was what we did with Gordon.
That's what I remember. Wang is still paying him IIRC.

Based on this article http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...xcellent-coach his contract expired after last season was up.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 12-23-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old
12-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Renbarg

People can't count:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=1966

2008-09 New York Islanders NHL Head 82 26 47 0 9 0.372 Out of Playoffs
2009-10 New York Islanders NHL Head 82 34 37 0 11 0.482 Out of Playoffs
2010-11 New York Islanders NHL Head† 17 4 10 0 3 0.324

I also love how you post an article that clearly refutes your point. If he was fired in his 2nd year the article would have said in his 1+ season... When they say his 2 plus seasons that means he coached 2.3 seasons and they stopped paying him after Capuano finished out the season to make 3 full seasons. Also 64-94-23 is more than 180 games, there are 162 games in two seasons worth of hockey.

But ya, Cappy is terrible, Snow is terrible and its all because Wang is a cheapskate, blah, blah, blah, blah.

As a mod you should close this and not give me an infraction for being snippy.

Old
12-23-2011, 05:17 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Signing your RESTRICTED free agents is nothing to brag about. They have to sign otherwise you look like Turris.

Players want the contract first bc it runs with them no matter where they play. As long as they have financial security, then they can demand a better environment.
But they didn't have to sign for the term they did, especially Tavares.

Old
12-23-2011, 05:19 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Yes. The common practice is it ends (they mutually agree to terminate) the current deal so he can sign with the new team. There is no double-dipping in that respect.

Old
12-23-2011, 06:25 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Yes. The common practice is it ends (they mutually agree to terminate) the current deal so he can sign with the new team. There is no double-dipping in that respect.
Incorrect.

Hypothetically, if he was under contract to the NYI to make $500,000 (hahahahhaha) for the 2010-11 season..

.. and then signed with the Leafs for $200,000 as an assistant for the 2010-11 season..

NYI would owe him $300,000 for the 2010-11 season..

Old
12-23-2011, 06:51 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
But they didn't have to sign for the term they did, especially Tavares.
The second Tavares hits the UFA market-he's gone. Unless the franchise turns around in a big way...and considering the past 20 years or so-it's not gonna happen.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:15 PM
majormet

I am going to say it here, Doug Weight would make a better coach than what we have. I think you need to makes refs accountable and you need to show fire. I think Chenoweth and Allen can handle the X's and O's fine.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
Which is braindead in its own right, since the low payroll=low quality of on-ice performance=low turnout is nothing but one big albatross around the neck of getting anything accomplished. If he funded the team like a proper NHL club and we won once in a while, played into summer once in a while, might actually be considered a contender once in a while, people would come and there'd be a healthy fanbase to show the powers that be that a new arena is worth the investment. It's like owning a tiny lemonade stand, serving lemons squeezed into dishwater, and asking people to build you a full-service refreshment stand. It's not happening. How this most simplistic piece of common sense escapes a man who apparently made his fortune through acute business savvy is well beyond me.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
Incorrect.

Hypothetically, if he was under contract to the NYI to make $500,000 (hahahahhaha) for the 2010-11 season..

.. and then signed with the Leafs for $200,000 as an assistant for the 2010-11 season..

NYI would owe him $300,000 for the 2010-11 season..
I don't believe that is the case. He needs to be let out of the NYI contract in order to sign with Toronto as an assistant coach because his contract with NYI is exclusive.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
The second Tavares hits the UFA market-he's gone. Unless the franchise turns around in a big way...and considering the past 20 years or so-it's not gonna happen.
Incorrect. He's already given up a year of UFA status to resign with the Isles.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
People can't count:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=1966

2008-09 New York Islanders NHL Head 82 26 47 0 9 0.372 Out of Playoffs
2009-10 New York Islanders NHL Head 82 34 37 0 11 0.482 Out of Playoffs
2010-11 New York Islanders NHL Head† 17 4 10 0 3 0.324

I also love how you post an article that clearly refutes your point. If he was fired in his 2nd year the article would have said in his 1+ season... When they say his 2 plus seasons that means he coached 2.3 seasons and they stopped paying him after Capuano finished out the season to make 3 full seasons. Also 64-94-23 is more than 180 games, there are 162 games in two seasons worth of hockey.

But ya, Cappy is terrible, Snow is terrible and its all because Wang is a cheapskate, blah, blah, blah, blah.

As a mod you should close this and not give me an infraction for being snippy.
I stand corrected. We all can't be perfect. When I am wrong, I can admit so. I miss counted the seasons. Merry Christmas.

Either way, Forget Gordo, Wang is not paying 2 coaches salaries.

Closed.

Closed Thread