HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Got to thinking....

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2011, 12:16 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,061
vCash: 500
Got to thinking....

Our coaching situation is what it is. Then last night it hit me. Capuano isn't going anywhere. Aren't we still paying Gordon for a 1 or 2? So therefore Wang is currently paying 2 coaching salaries. Wang is NOT going to take on a 3rd coaching salary. Therefore Capuano is here for the immediate future if not season regardless of the results he produces. Shy of Tavares and other players going to Wang and asking for someones head, Capuano is your coach.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
  #2
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,771
vCash: 500
Capuano is not the problem. It all stems from Garth's failure to bring in quality veterans.

Chardo is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:40 PM
  #3
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Capuano is not the problem. It all stems from Garth's failure to bring in quality veterans.
which stems from wangs unwillingness to spend...which stems from you guessed it, the arena situation

enigmatic is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 01:06 PM
  #4
jdr016
Registered User
 
jdr016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
which stems from wangs unwillingness to spend...which stems from you guessed it, the arena situation
Hmmm, pretty sure they made Ehroff a huge offer. So the issue isn't that. The issue is creating a culture no one wants to be a part of.

Snow had one quality signing this summer, Marty Reasoner, and he has been a huge disappointment so far.

jdr016 is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 01:49 PM
  #5
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Dear Ten Minute Misconduct,

Due to your spot on analysis, I am now annoyed and you've ruined the next 15-20 minutes of my life.


Mr Wentworth is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
  #6
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Hmmm, pretty sure they made Ehroff a huge offer. So the issue isn't that. The issue is creating a culture no one wants to be a part of.
Well, they did make Ehrhoff a big offer, but that doesn't mean that the Isles wouldn't still be at the cap floor right now. They just wouldn't have brought on Rolston.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
  #7
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Hmmm, pretty sure they made Ehroff a huge offer. So the issue isn't that. The issue is creating a culture no one wants to be a part of.

Snow had one quality signing this summer, Marty Reasoner, and he has been a huge disappointment so far.
Snow had one quality UFA signing. He had a few quality signings (Tavares , Okposo, Grabner) of people that do want to be part of the culture here.

JKP is online now  
Old
12-23-2011, 02:05 PM
  #8
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Snow had one quality UFA signing. He had a few quality signings (Tavares , Okposo, Grabner) of people that do want to be part of the culture here.
Signing your RESTRICTED free agents is nothing to brag about. They have to sign otherwise you look like Turris.

Players want the contract first bc it runs with them no matter where they play. As long as they have financial security, then they can demand a better environment.

blitzkriegs is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 02:14 PM
  #9
Hipietro
Registered User
 
Hipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 500
I think its become clear for most of us fans that anything that could possibly improve this team that costs money will not happen.

Wang simply does not care AT ALL about the fans or winning games.

As long as he is the owner, the Islanders will be terrible. Simple as that.

Hipietro is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 02:35 PM
  #10
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,956
vCash: 500
Cappy shouldn't get fired.


However, Gordon only signed one contract with the Islanders; and that was at the beginning of the his first year; it was reported to be a 3 year deal. And if that is true he no longer has a contract with the Islanders.

*EDIT

And people believe this kind of crap when there is not one grain of truth to it.


Last edited by Renbarg: 12-23-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Renbarg is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
  #11
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,632
vCash: 500
Gordon is an assitant for the leafs I believe. If so wouldn't he have to void any deal he had with us to take that job?

Hip Of Rick is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
  #12
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Cappy shouldn't get fired.


However, Gordon only signed one contract with the Islanders; and that was at the beginning of the his first year; it was reported to be a 3 year deal. And if that is true he no longer has a contract with the Islanders.

*EDIT

And people believe this kind of crap when there is not one grain of truth to it.
He was fired in his second year. Therefore this would be Gordon's 3rd year coaching. Capuano took over during year two. Therefore we are still paying 2 coaches. Most standard contracts we hear about are for 3 years and I believe (although I can't find) that was what we did with Gordon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5808569
Gordon was a relative unknown from the AHL when hired by the Islanders in 2008. In two-plus seasons with New York, Gordon went 64-94-23 -- the lowest points percentage in the NHL. He will remain with the organization as an adviser to Snow.

Homeland Security is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
  #13
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Gordon is an assitant for the leafs I believe. If so wouldn't he have to void any deal he had with us to take that job?
I don't believe so.

Homeland Security is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 03:46 PM
  #14
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,421
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Hmmm, pretty sure they made Ehroff a huge offer. So the issue isn't that. The issue is creating a culture no one wants to be a part of.

Snow had one quality signing this summer, Marty Reasoner, and he has been a huge disappointment so far.
That offer only signifies that he is willing to spend to the bottom of the cap floor. What all of us mean when we say, "He isn't willing to spend..." is that he isn't willing to spend past the cap floor. That's what makes him a ruinously cheap owner.

If the guy actually believed the lies he spews about caring about the club and the development of the kids he'd inject enough money to get into the middle of the pack of all the clubs salary-wise.

A Pointed Stick is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 03:48 PM
  #15
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,421
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
He was fired in his second year. Therefore this would be Gordon's 3rd year coaching. Capuano took over during year two. Therefore we are still paying 2 coaches. Most standard contracts we hear about are for 3 years and I believe (although I can't find) that was what we did with Gordon.
That's what I remember. Wang is still paying him IIRC.

Based on this article http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...xcellent-coach his contract expired after last season was up.


Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 12-23-2011 at 04:50 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 04:31 PM
  #16
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,956
vCash: 500
People can't count:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=1966

2008-09 New York Islanders NHL Head 82 26 47 0 9 0.372 Out of Playoffs
2009-10 New York Islanders NHL Head 82 34 37 0 11 0.482 Out of Playoffs
2010-11 New York Islanders NHL Head† 17 4 10 0 3 0.324

I also love how you post an article that clearly refutes your point. If he was fired in his 2nd year the article would have said in his 1+ season... When they say his 2 plus seasons that means he coached 2.3 seasons and they stopped paying him after Capuano finished out the season to make 3 full seasons. Also 64-94-23 is more than 180 games, there are 162 games in two seasons worth of hockey.


But ya, Cappy is terrible, Snow is terrible and its all because Wang is a cheapskate, blah, blah, blah, blah.

As a mod you should close this and not give me an infraction for being snippy.

Renbarg is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 05:17 PM
  #17
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Signing your RESTRICTED free agents is nothing to brag about. They have to sign otherwise you look like Turris.

Players want the contract first bc it runs with them no matter where they play. As long as they have financial security, then they can demand a better environment.
But they didn't have to sign for the term they did, especially Tavares.

JKP is online now  
Old
12-23-2011, 05:19 PM
  #18
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Gordon is an assitant for the leafs I believe. If so wouldn't he have to void any deal he had with us to take that job?
Yes. The common practice is it ends (they mutually agree to terminate) the current deal so he can sign with the new team. There is no double-dipping in that respect.

JKP is online now  
Old
12-23-2011, 06:25 PM
  #19
JeffNYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Yes. The common practice is it ends (they mutually agree to terminate) the current deal so he can sign with the new team. There is no double-dipping in that respect.
Incorrect.

Hypothetically, if he was under contract to the NYI to make $500,000 (hahahahhaha) for the 2010-11 season..

.. and then signed with the Leafs for $200,000 as an assistant for the 2010-11 season..

NYI would owe him $300,000 for the 2010-11 season..

JeffNYI is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 06:51 PM
  #20
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
But they didn't have to sign for the term they did, especially Tavares.
The second Tavares hits the UFA market-he's gone. Unless the franchise turns around in a big way...and considering the past 20 years or so-it's not gonna happen.

ScaredStreit is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 10:15 PM
  #21
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,742
vCash: 500
I am going to say it here, Doug Weight would make a better coach than what we have. I think you need to makes refs accountable and you need to show fire. I think Chenoweth and Allen can handle the X's and O's fine.

majormet is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 10:48 PM
  #22
385
Registered User
 
385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,662
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
which stems from wangs unwillingness to spend...which stems from you guessed it, the arena situation
Which is braindead in its own right, since the low payroll=low quality of on-ice performance=low turnout is nothing but one big albatross around the neck of getting anything accomplished. If he funded the team like a proper NHL club and we won once in a while, played into summer once in a while, might actually be considered a contender once in a while, people would come and there'd be a healthy fanbase to show the powers that be that a new arena is worth the investment. It's like owning a tiny lemonade stand, serving lemons squeezed into dishwater, and asking people to build you a full-service refreshment stand. It's not happening. How this most simplistic piece of common sense escapes a man who apparently made his fortune through acute business savvy is well beyond me.

385 is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
  #23
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
Incorrect.

Hypothetically, if he was under contract to the NYI to make $500,000 (hahahahhaha) for the 2010-11 season..

.. and then signed with the Leafs for $200,000 as an assistant for the 2010-11 season..

NYI would owe him $300,000 for the 2010-11 season..
I don't believe that is the case. He needs to be let out of the NYI contract in order to sign with Toronto as an assistant coach because his contract with NYI is exclusive.

JKP is online now  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 AM
  #24
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
The second Tavares hits the UFA market-he's gone. Unless the franchise turns around in a big way...and considering the past 20 years or so-it's not gonna happen.
Incorrect. He's already given up a year of UFA status to resign with the Isles.

JKP is online now  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:29 AM
  #25
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
People can't count:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=1966

2008-09 New York Islanders NHL Head 82 26 47 0 9 0.372 Out of Playoffs
2009-10 New York Islanders NHL Head 82 34 37 0 11 0.482 Out of Playoffs
2010-11 New York Islanders NHL Head† 17 4 10 0 3 0.324

I also love how you post an article that clearly refutes your point. If he was fired in his 2nd year the article would have said in his 1+ season... When they say his 2 plus seasons that means he coached 2.3 seasons and they stopped paying him after Capuano finished out the season to make 3 full seasons. Also 64-94-23 is more than 180 games, there are 162 games in two seasons worth of hockey.


But ya, Cappy is terrible, Snow is terrible and its all because Wang is a cheapskate, blah, blah, blah, blah.

As a mod you should close this and not give me an infraction for being snippy.
I stand corrected. We all can't be perfect. When I am wrong, I can admit so. I miss counted the seasons. Merry Christmas.

Either way, Forget Gordo, Wang is not paying 2 coaches salaries.

Closed.

Homeland Security is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.