Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Mossy Oak
Serenity

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
Um yeah, real dominating there. Give him the Vezna already.

If he is so great, he should have stopped those shootout goals, instead he sucked.

That's right, the Nuge here is backing up the bus - ready for Pavs to have his butt thrown under it!
The main reason/factor in why we even got to overtime/shootout and collected a point out of that game was because of Pavelec.

If it weren't for him, we'd have easily lost 5-2 and been out of the game in the first period.

12-22-2011, 01:35 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 781
Quote:

If he is so great, he should have stopped those shootout goals, instead he sucked.

That's right, the Nuge here is backing up the bus - ready for Pavs to have his butt thrown under it!
He has stopped 206 out of 220 shots he's faced this month. Yeah, real ****ing awful. My god get real.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Tintin's Ghost

vCash: 500
Sacre bleu, I wonder if the Jets are now Quebec's Team since we have a Francophone coach?? Oui? Non?

The Habs D are in shambles with no Markov, Subban slumping and the recently acquired defensive brilliance of Kaberle. Jets def need to pounce on that if they want to win.

Price is almost always solid so I hope the guys listened to Pavs and get shots on the actual net. Pavs will be a beast, again, tonight. The Habs don't have big guys who forecheck aggressively other than Moen so Enstrom will have more time and space tonight, hopefully he can create.

GO JETS GO

Old
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Anyways, GST needs to be back together, and possibly a re-tooling of the d corps.

We'll score 6 goals in a 6-1 victory anyways, but it'll look nicer if our lines are re-structured.
I am curious about the love for GST I keep seeing. Yeah, I get it.. they work hard. I definitely see the strengths Slater brings to the table, and I really have grown to like Glass as an energy guy, but what am I missing about Thor's game that makes him anymore then a 4th liner?
I really feel that until GST is our true 4th line (getting maybe 6-8 mins a game), then we'll never contend. Slater can have extra minutes on the pk and still take important draws (although he sure is struggling on draws lately).

Just my two cents

Also to add, I have nothing against Thor as a person. I've heard he's a great character guy. But he appears to also have cinder blocks for hands

Old
12-22-2011, 01:44 PM
MadMen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
He has stopped 206 out of 220 shots he's faced this month. Yeah, real ****ing awful. My god get real.
Thank you. I really don't get how people aren't actually making a bigger deal of how good this guy is. He lost 3-2 in a shootout, wow. Ondrej is easily one of the best tenders in the league and after the Jets make the playoffs, maybe then he'll get the respect he deserves. And don't think he's not. I said one of the best, and he's still young! I think WPG has something special in Ondrej Pavelec and I can't wait to see him develop into one of the underrated regular season performers during this years playoff race. Ondrej is the real deal and its going to take a whole lot more than a weak goal here or there, and even a shootout loss for this Jets fan to think anything different. He's 23 and he's money.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen88 View Post
Thank you. I really don't get how people aren't actually making a bigger deal of how good this guy is. He lost 3-2 in a shootout, wow. Ondrej is easily one of the best tenders in the league and after the Jets make the playoffs, maybe then he'll get the respect he deserves. And don't think he's not. I said one of the best, and he's still young! I think WPG has something special in Ondrej Pavelec and I can't wait to see him develop into one of the underrated regular season performers during this years playoff race. Ondrej is the real deal and its going to take a whole lot more than a weak goal here or there, and even a shootout loss for this Jets fan to think anything different. He's 23 and he's money.
You're wrong. He's 24.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
pucka lucka
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronhoo View Post
I am curious about the love for GST I keep seeing. Yeah, I get it.. they work hard. I definitely see the strengths Slater brings to the table, and I really have grown to like Glass as an energy guy, but what am I missing about Thor's game that makes him anymore then a 4th liner?
I really feel that until GST is our true 4th line (getting maybe 6-8 mins a game), then we'll never contend. Slater can have extra minutes on the pk and still take important draws (although he sure is struggling on draws lately).

Just my two cents

Also to add, I have nothing against Thor as a person. I've heard he's a great character guy. But he appears to also have cinder blocks for hands
Hard to believe he was a first round draft pick. He has the hands of Mike Eagles.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen88 View Post
Former goalie here, and I can say I agree 100%. What I really like about Pavs is that he is such a positional goaltender and he's so fast that he's often in position before the shot comes, even after a cross crease pass. He often doesn't get the credit I believe because he isn't as flashy as some. But that comes with being in the right place ahead of the shot.
We are set in the crease for a long time with Ondrej

Old
12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Hard to believe he was a first round draft pick. He has the hands of Mike Eagles.
Yup. That actually is pretty hard to believe. Are you talking about Thorburn?

Old
12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 651
Quote:
He got the Jets to OT and the SO - in my opinion, they didn't really do much to deserve a point in that game. That was all Pavs.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Huffer

vCash: 590
Quote:

Just my two cents

I don't speak for all Winnipeggers, but I think most of us just love to cheer for the blue collar, lunch pail guys. Sure we love to cheer for the stars as well, but I know I really love the heart and soul guys who leave their blood on the ice after dropping to block a shot, or after being in a fight to stick up for a teammate. Those guys can make the difference IMO.

As for your second point, I totally agree with you. I think the only way we become consistent, and a serious threat to make the playoffs, is if we somehow develop a producing 3rd line and have the GST line as our 4th line.

Somehow we need some combination of Mittens, Burmi, Stapler, and Fehr to start contributing on the 3rd line. Once that happens and GST moves to the 4th, I think we will be much better overall.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Yup. That actually is pretty hard to believe. Are you talking about Thorburn?
Indeed he was, and indeed it is haaard to believe.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:

Just my two cents

I absolutely agree. Glass is a great forechecker, Slater wins draws like a champ and has shown he can put the biscuit in the basket. Thorburn? He was effective when he was hitting clean, but lately he just takes bad penalties. I understand GST has ready made chemistry but Thor is dragging that line down right now.

MSG needs a couple of games to get on the same page, but when they do I can really see them as a good checking 3rd line that can score. Both Mitts and Slates have that ability.

Thor needs to take a break for a game and get refocused. I like him but he is not contributing right now.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
About as hard to believe as Kane being a second round pick.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:53 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:

Just my two cents

There's a reason why Thor plays best when with Slater. It's because they've played together for years. They know how each other plays and what the other will likely do. Although, Thor still needs to pick it up a bit. Need a little more from him. More physical play would be nice.

Also, if your 4th line is getting 6-8 minutes a game, you don't have a legit 4th line. Shawn Thornton played on Boston's 4th line all of last year and he had just over 10 minutes a game, and that was the lowest amount for any Bruin regular. If your 4th line guys can't get more then 8 minutes, you better hope your top 9 is good.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:

I'm sorry but this post is not based in any sort of reality.

Without Pavelec and a few SUPERHUMAN saves we would have never gotten to OT in the first place. He may have been poor in the SO but he was the one who got us that point.

There are more guys that you can legitimately pin our SO loss on than you have fingers. Pavelec is not one of them.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I'm going old school here to try and bring out a win. For the Jets fans unaware, this is the "Sauce Unicorn". He was originally posted as a tasty dish in many of our GDTs until someone (ME) pointed out that the right side of the sauce looks like the making of a unicorn. And thus he was forever dubbed The Sauce Unicorn.

And just to show I'm very serious, I'm going to post another one to really bring out the HF gods for this win.

We have a Sauce Unicorn, so how about some Unicorn Sauce.

You're welcome for the win we're getting tonight.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
I'm going old school here to try and bring out a win. For the Jets fans unaware, this is the "Sauce Unicorn". He was originally posted as a tasty dish in many of our GDTs until someone (ME) pointed out that the right side of the sauce looks like the making of a unicorn. And thus he was forever dubbed The Sauce Unicorn.

And just to show I'm very serious, I'm going to post another one to really bring out the HF gods for this win.

God I bet that Unicorn Sauce is amazing.

Expect 54% more saucer passes from the Jets tonight.

MORE SAUCE!!!

Old
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Quote:
Thorburn was a second round pick in 2001 by Buffalo.

Slater was the 30th pick in 2002 by the Thrashers. He is certainly better than a half dozen players taken before him. And besides the obvious (Keith, Hudler, Fleischmann,Lombardi,etc) there isn't much talent in that draft.

Take a look at some of the names taken in the 1st that year. That is a terrible draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2002e.html

Old
12-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Huffer

Quote:

Is that where there are no more unicorns? People hunted them for sauce?

Old
12-22-2011, 02:04 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

Toronto did pretty good that year for 1st and 2nd round. 3rd to 5th never played in the NHL.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:09 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Thorburn was a second round pick in 2001 by Buffalo.

Slater was the 30th pick in 2002 by the Thrashers. He is certainly better than a half dozen players taken before him. And besides the obvious (Keith, Hudler, Fleischmann,Lombardi,etc) there isn't much talent in that draft.

Take a look at some of the names taken in the 1st that year. That is a terrible draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2002e.html
What jumps out to me in that draft is the lack of high-end talent and all of the solid depth guys that have made careers being bottom 6 players and 2nd and 3rd pairing defensemen.

Ironically, the next year was one of the best drafts ever. I wonder how many different Norris trophy winners that draft could have.

Then, you look at the defensemen taken in that draft and compare that to '08.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Toronto did pretty good that year for 1st and 2nd round. 3rd to 5th never played in the NHL.
If you consider Stajan a good pick.

I would think that all of the following teams would love to have their 1st round pick back.

Florida (#9)
Calgary (#10)
Washington (#12)
Edmonton (#15)
Ottawa (#16)
Washington (#17)
LA (#18)
Phoenix (#19)
Buffalo (#20)
Chicago (#21)
Phoenix (#23)
Dallas (#26)
San Jose (#27)
Colorado (#28)
Boston (#29)

That's 15 crappy pics before Slater.

Considering the fact that Slater is still with the team, and is a great PK'r, a 4th line checking centre who could possibly be on the 3rd with quality line-mates, and still in the NHL, that doesn't make as bad as it would first seem.

Context is missing when people want to "wonder at Slater being a 1st round pick".

Old
12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:

perhaps while "the Nuge" is backing that bus up he can roll it off a cliff and end our pain

Old
12-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Context is missing when people want to "wonder at Slater being a 1st round pick".
Exactly. Line up each and every guy taken in that draft, in terms of their body of work at the NHL level, and Slater is at the absolute worst a mid-2nd. Considering what an inexact science the NHL draft is, that's not a reach whatsoever from the 30th pick.

EDIT: How in the holy hell did Ben Eager get drafted at #23. Wow. I thought maybe it was on the heels of some fluke season in the OHL: 14G, 23A in 63 games? Really?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 12-22-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Closed Thread