Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Context is missing when people want to "wonder at Slater being a 1st round pick".
I don't have a problem with it. Not everyone in the 1st round is going to be a 1st or 2nd line forward.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:41 PM
teucer

vCash: 500
Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Antropov-Wellwood
Mittens-Burmi-Fehr
Glass-Slater-Thorburn

I like these lines if they were to go into effect. With Fehr being at 100% that is.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
I managed to get game-day tickets, 200-level at center ice. I'm so excited to see this one. I like Price so for his sake I hope he gets pulled after the first 4 goals and Budaj takes the rest of the abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Exactly. Line up each and every guy taken in that draft, in terms of their body of work at the NHL level, and Slater is at the absolute worst a mid-2nd. Considering what an inexact science the NHL draft is, that's not a reach whatsoever from the 30th pick.
Historically about 50% of first round picks became career NHL players. You could reasonably expect that the rate is much lower for late first round picks, since the data is probably heavily skewed by the top 5 or top 10.

Often teams will take risks in the first round on players that offer a high skill level but are lacking in some other way rather than guys who are more likely to make the team but lack the offensive upside. Scheifele over Couturier was an example of this. Top 10 it makes sense but at the 30th overall pick I think you take the sure thing. You obviously don't want all your first round picks to end up being 3rd line checking players but by no means was Slater a bad pick.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by teucer View Post
Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Antropov-Wellwood
Mittens-Burmi-Fehr
Glass-Slater-Thorburn

I like these lines if they were to go into effect. With Fehr being at 100% that is.
I'd probably swap Wellwood and Fehr but otherwise I like those lines. I'd like to see the creativity of Wellwood and Burmi together but then again they both need to start shooting more. It's really hard to see how Fehr fits in at this point because I don't think we've seen him play anywhere near 100%.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Montreal Canadiens game day audio

Michael Cammalleri - Coach talk a distraction to team? Type of coach Cunneyworth is? Asked about first goal scored in MTS Centre. Keys to tonight. Importance of first goal. What is wrong with the Habs?

P.K.Subban - Trying to do too much. Accountability. Making mistakes. Mood in the room. Coach have authority? Sticking to game plan. Pressure on team. Playing in front of the MTS Centre crowd.

Travis Moen - Keys to beating the Jets. Team frustration. Importance of win. Impact of loss to Hawks. Team leaders stepping up. Accountability. Team focus. System changes.

Coach Cunneyworth - Welcome to Winnipeg. Importance of tonight's game. Touches on loss to Hawks. Taking anything from the Home Opener? Close to having everyone on board? Players being accountable. Asked about coaching controversy. Who he leans on. Fun of being a head coach.

To listen to the audio, click here.

Last edited by ICdave: 12-22-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I think that's why Slater has received a lot of the criticisms that he has is because he was drafted in the 1st round. But you guys are right it's all about context, that was a terrible draft and Jim is one of the bright spots of it.

He was quite often a scratch for us a few years back when our 4th line was a mix of Boulton-Reasoner-Thorburn, and to this day I wish we had kept Marty as he would've been a nice fit to center the 3rd line. But to his credit Slates has really become an integral part of this team and would be an asset to almost any bottom 6 in the NHL imo.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:51 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Exactly. Line up each and every guy taken in that draft, in terms of their body of work at the NHL level, and Slater is at the absolute worst a mid-2nd. Considering what an inexact science the NHL draft is, that's not a reach whatsoever from the 30th pick.

EDIT: How in the holy hell did Ben Eager get drafted at #23. Wow. I thought maybe it was on the heels of some fluke season in the OHL: 14G, 23A in 63 games? Really?
Combination of speed, size, with some skill probably intrigued scouts. He's very fast and has some good hands, just isn't all there in the head.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:57 PM
MadMen88

Who would you guys rather see win, the Panthers or the Senators? I'd personally much rather see the Sens win at this point. I've made it clear that I think we can just as easily win the southeast as make the playoffs, so in my mind, I'd much rather see the Sens move up. That being said, having the Sens lose also has its benefits. I know we can all agree that as long as it doesn't go into OT and we win then all is well, but still, what are your thoughts on that game given our own situation?

Old
12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Well I'm off to be disappointed by yoga pants. But I will be back for game time.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Well I'm off to be disappointed by yoga pants. But I will be back for game time.
Lululemon is a generational talent, worthy of a top 10 pick. AINEC.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

People love the GST line because they love the image of a hard-working, tough, 'blue-collar' line grinding it out. And they love to chant G-S-T.

Nevermind that the line has only 2 goals in the last 20 games.

Yep, I'm not on the GST love train either. I like them guys, but nope I ain't buying a ticket.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronhoo View Post
I am curious about the love for GST I keep seeing. Yeah, I get it.. they work hard. I definitely see the strengths Slater brings to the table, and I really have grown to like Glass as an energy guy, but what am I missing about Thor's game that makes him anymore then a 4th liner?
I really feel that until GST is our true 4th line (getting maybe 6-8 mins a game), then we'll never contend. Slater can have extra minutes on the pk and still take important draws (although he sure is struggling on draws lately).

Just my two cents

Also to add, I have nothing against Thor as a person. I've heard he's a great character guy. But he appears to also have cinder blocks for hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Thorburn was a second round pick in 2001 by Buffalo.

Slater was the 30th pick in 2002 by the Thrashers. He is certainly better than a half dozen players taken before him. And besides the obvious (Keith, Hudler, Fleischmann,Lombardi,etc) there isn't much talent in that draft.

Take a look at some of the names taken in the 1st that year. That is a terrible draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2002e.html
Wow, I am going senile. i am on hockeydb 5x a day and I would have sworn he was a late first. I must have mixed up him and McArdle.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:35 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

I have to admit I thought PK was an offensively talented punk but after reading his comments where he is taking the blame squarely on himself for the last two losses I am impressed. I have a soft spot for guys who step up and take accountability and he just buzz killed my dislike for him......thanks PK you couldn't have saved this confession for tomorrow

Still want to kick these guys when they are down but will I won’t be booing PK now

Old
12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Not sure if it's been posted yet somewhere, but Little is out tonight, according to TSN1290.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:04 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Wow, I am going senile. i am on hockeydb 5x a day and I would have sworn he was a late first. I must have mixed up him and McArdle.
And I am not on hockeydb five times a day and I believed you Supah.

It's all good. I'm glad Thor wasn't a first..
As for Slater, I actually don't think he was a bad late first round choice. There is no secret we are better off with him in the lineup.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Jetsfan1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen88 View Post
Thank you. I really don't get how people aren't actually making a bigger deal of how good this guy is. He lost 3-2 in a shootout, wow. Ondrej is easily one of the best tenders in the league and after the Jets make the playoffs, maybe then he'll get the respect he deserves. And don't think he's not. I said one of the best, and he's still young! I think WPG has something special in Ondrej Pavelec and I can't wait to see him develop into one of the underrated regular season performers during this years playoff race. Ondrej is the real deal and its going to take a whole lot more than a weak goal here or there, and even a shootout loss for this Jets fan to think anything different. He's 24 and he's money.
I concur.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Not sure if it's been posted yet somewhere, but Little is out tonight, according to TSN1290.
Terrible news but thanks for passing it along

Old
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Terrible news but thanks for passing it along
Way to not shoot the messenger 241

That's probably the first time that's happened in a while around here

Old
12-22-2011, 03:35 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Way to not shoot the messenger 241

That's probably the first time that's happened in a while around here
Shooting the messenger is way underrated.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:48 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Jets should come out with the win in this one.

Old
12-22-2011, 04:13 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I managed to get game-day tickets, 200-level at center ice.
are they section 218... row 6?

Old
12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Hope the Jets really put it to the Habs!

Hope the post game thread incorporates " parlez-vous français".

Old
12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
GoJetsGo8

I've been called in tonight, anyone want to go? It's a pair in sec 316, pm if interested.

Is pavs in net tonight?

Old
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
Last call for all cow bells and drums...

Bring out your cowbells.

I called up one of my loudest buddies. It will be a hoot. I'm one Jumbo Jet dog and a beer away from cranking up the volume.

Old
12-22-2011, 04:40 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
are they section 218... row 6?
218 row 3 actually. Why, did you get row 6?

It looks like they released a lot of tickets actually. I learned a lesson from past game-day ticket failures. I had one browser open to the interactive map and another open to the "choose seats for me" page, with a quantity of 2 already selected. When I saw them pop up on the interactive map I switched to the other window and pressed go. Way quicker. That way I didn't go for the same pair as someone else and end up missing out on all the other pairs as a result.

Closed Thread