HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals and Rumors Part XX

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
My post was in reference to trading Stone for Iginla, but I would also be against trading our first round pick, and any of our blue chippers from last year. I don't think that line-up is a favourite to win and would have a lesser chance with each consecutive year, we need to be creating a model whereby in each consecutive year our contender status grows, not shrinks.

We do the rebuild the right way and we'll have a nice long window to compete and win a cup before the cycle continues again.
Not saying I disagree (I'm also in favor of going with the drafting and developing mentality), just the thought of having Iginla is interesting... I know he has at least 3-4 good years ahead. I never said that line-up was a favorite to win it all but if they could avoid teams like the Pens or Bruins in the 1st round, they could easily go for 2 or 3 rounds, which is a very good thing IMO. You can't only think "Stanley Cup or bust" or else many NHL franchises should just move or close their doors.

Iginla only has 1 year left at 7.0 and what if you re-sign him for 6.0 for 2 more years? Even if he only scores 30-30 per season on average, it wouldn't make the team less and less competitive "each consecutive year"... The Salary cap involves more than 1 player and let's not forget that Alfie (4.875 + buyout), Gonchar (5.5), Neil (2.0), Michalek (4.33) and Phillips (3.083) contracts are up in the next few years. A lot of possibilities to do a lot of things with our salary cap structure going forward (thanks to Murray)

PS : I don't think Matt Puempel is a blue chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
This. I cannot understand why Volchenkov wasnt signed.Of course, he is not a goalie but he blocked too much shoots and very helped your goalies. IMO this is a problem.

To Ottawa: Volchenkov
To Devils: Lee, Noesen and 3th round pick
The reason why Volchenkov wasn't re-signed is a money reason (unfortunately money runs the world). The Sens weren't really interested to keep Volchenkov for 6 years at 4.25 per season (and I totally support that decision, 100% even if Volchenkov is the type of player we'd need right now). It's a lot of money for a very unidimensional D-man. I'd rather have Phillips at 3.083 for half the term (despite some Sens fans complaining on it, but some people just complain on everything)

Old
12-28-2011, 09:39 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
This. I cannot understand why Volchenkov wasnt signed.Of course, he is not a goalie but he blocked too much shoots and very helped your goalies. IMO this is a problem.

To Ottawa: Volchenkov
To Devils: Lee, Noesen and 3th round pick
I agree with everything you said. However, NJ's blueline can't afford to give up Volch. IF they implode and begin to rebuild, we might be able to snag him though

12-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Not saying I disagree (I'm also in favor of going with the drafting and developing mentality), just the thought of having Iginla is interesting... I know he has at least 3-4 good years ahead. I never said that line-up was a favorite to win it all but if they could avoid teams like the Pens or Bruins in the 1st round, they could easily go for 2 or 3 rounds, which is a very good thing IMO. You can't only think "Stanley Cup or bust" or else many NHL franchises should just move or close their doors.

Iginla only has 1 year left at 7.0 and what if you re-sign him for 6.0 for 2 more years? Even if he only scores 30-30 per season on average, it wouldn't make the team less and less competitive "each consecutive year"... The Salary cap involves more than 1 player and let's not forget that Alfie (4.875 + buyout), Gonchar (5.5), Neil (2.0), Michalek (4.33) and Phillips (3.083) contracts are up in the next few years. A lot of possibilities to do a lot of things with our salary cap structure going forward (thanks to Murray)

PS : I don't think Matt Puempel is a blue chipper

The reason why Volchenkov wasn't re-signed is a money reason (unfortunately money runs the world). The Sens weren't really interested to keep Volchenkov for 6 years at 4.25 per season (and I totally support that decision, 100% even if Volchenkov is the type of player we'd need right now). It's a lot of money for a very unidimensional D-man. I'd rather have Phillips at 3.083 for half the term (despite some Sens fans complaining on it, but some people just complain on everything)
I agree with the Iginla sentiment, I just don't want to give up any of our young players until we get an idea of how good they can be...

Old
12-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I agree with everything you said. However, NJ's blueline can't afford to give up Volch. IF they implode and begin to rebuild, we might be able to snag him though
I don't think Volchenkov would be a good fit for our new system. It's all about skating, pinching, passing, and more skating.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:17 PM
SensSharksGirl*

I have planned another trade proposal and here it is:

To Sharks:

Filip Kuba

To Senators:

Dan Boyle(his hometown is in Ottawa)

What do you think of that?

Old
12-28-2011, 10:27 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensSharksGirl View Post

To Sharks:

Filip Kuba

To Senators:

What's the reasoning to this?

Old
12-28-2011, 10:41 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

I want one more year of tanking.

Filip Kuba to: Anyone
Trade back: What draft pick we can get, probably as high as a 4th though.

Bring up Borocop.

Matt Carkner to :Anyone
Trade back: Probably as high as a 6th round pick. Not much for tradebait this year around it seems.

Our only expiring UFA forwards are 3rd/4th line tweeners that won't fetch much.

Though I would give up some low picks/prospects to get my hands on Mark Flood from the Jets, tis to bad he's about 27/28 years old right now though and no guarantee he would re-sign with Ottawa. Maybe throw a million or so his way next year, he's the perfect third pairing D with a good offensive upside to him. Just plays a mistake free game with the Jets, haven't seen him play much, but heard so many good things about him.

Old
12-29-2011, 03:26 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
I don't think Volchenkov would be a good fit for our new system. It's all about skating, pinching, passing, and more skating.
Volch is fit for every system.

Old
12-29-2011, 04:17 AM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensSharksGirl View Post

To Sharks:

Filip Kuba

To Senators:

Um ... I'd take Boyle, but I think the price would be a lot more than Kuba. Plus Boyle is signed for 2 more years at $6m+ so I doubt Ottawa would have the cap space unless it was Gonchar going the other way.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Tremblay31

I cannot understand why so much people would trade Kuba ??
He playing fantastic this season

Old
12-29-2011, 07:02 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremblay31 View Post
I cannot understand why so much people would trade Kuba ??
He playing fantastic this season
He has a good value for it and you are in rebulding so yo can allow to trade hm.

Old
12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Tremblay31

Sure we are in rebuilding mode, but i would trade first Winchester,Konopka or Regin

Old
12-29-2011, 07:54 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremblay31 View Post
Sure we are in rebuilding mode, but i would trade first Winchester,Konopka or Regin
KKuba has better value but IMO Regin will be traded.

Old
12-29-2011, 08:36 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
I'm not sure about this... Look at this forward group :

If defense/goaltending play up to potential...
We're 8th in goals for and 30th in goals against. We'd be much better off paying the lower price for a player we need more like Jackman, Gleason, Gorges, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Some of us have thought for a while that we already had a lot of pieces in place to make this "rebuild" very quick.
Our depth forwards are maturing and our senior citizens are rebounding well. While both are helping us this year, neither of these things are rebuilding the core of talent we'll need to take this team into contention.

Quote:
Is this deal possible? Should we do it?

Iginla
vs
Sens 2012 1st Round Pick + Matt Puempel + Bobby Butler + Brian Lee
No we shouldn't. It won't make us a contender now and we already quite a few questions marks at key positions moving forward, such that we shouldn't give up another 2 x 1st rounders.

Quote:
I would gladly take a 2nd or 3rd round loss this year.
Quote:
IF and IF and IF. Means that defense/goaltending has to play a lot better and that we'd have to not face the Bruins/Flyers/Pens (the real Cup contenders from the East) in the first few rounds.
Washington has been all offense/no defense... better than we'd be even if we did acquire Iginla... and they get rolled in the 1st round by 7th & 8th seeds.

We'd be the 7th or 8th seed if everything went well and a legit contender would whup us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Bryan Murray must be cursing the goalie scouts who told him to trade for Leclaire and then sign Anderson for 4 years. There has to be someone out there who can stop the puck until Lehner is ready.

This will continue to be the Sens Achilles heel until they get a competent goalie.
Anderson will bounce back. Hell, for the most part he's still just carrying the stain from his first 5 games of the season.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:17 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

If I would tip who will be traded, my names are:

Regin, Butler, Daugavins, Konopka, Neil, Kuba, probably Anderson (if PO will not be).

And I hope that you will trade Foligno to CBJ again it is only my hope

Old
12-29-2011, 09:35 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

The way I see it...

If were out of a playoff position by the deadline, these players become available:

Kuba, Gonchar, Regin, Butler, Lee, Filatov, Auld

If were in a playoff position by the Deadline:

Our two 3rd round picks, 2nd in 2013, Regin, O'Brian, Filatov

Old
12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
The way I see it...

If were out of a playoff position by the deadline, these players become available:

Filatov will not be traded (nobody will risk that he wont return from Russia, his possible return to Russia was the reason why you get him for the 3th round), Gonchar too not (too much salary), I dont see any market from Auld, O'Brien will be the next fourth line player and IMO he is better than Winchester or Konopka together, very underrated player I would take him immediately. I agree with others.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:50 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Whether they get traded or not I was just listing the players/assets who I think would be on the table to trade in those situations.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:53 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Whether they get traded or not I was just listing the players/assets who I think would be on the table to trade in those situations.
I only think about who from them could be traded and who not But IMO OBrien not Sens want him to keep IMO.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
The way I see it...

The Rundblad deal made a long term home for Brian Lee on the right side.

There's no lineup pressure requiring any of Regin, Butler, Filatov or O'Brien being dealt.

I'd also add that anything we acquire at the deadline will probably have multiple years of service attached or is somebody we're likely to re-sign. I doubt that Murray adds a temporary piece right now.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Your probably right, but I wouldn't say he's untouchable, if the right pick/prospect/player came along he might become available how-ever unlikely that may be.

Quote:
There's no lineup pressure requiring any of Regin, Butler, Filatov or O'Brien being dealt.
Agreed, but if were out of a playoff spot come the deadline and the right offers were made I could see these groups of players being on the trade table if the right deal came along. You can argue Regin has no future here, Butler and Filatov can be replaced, and O'Brian has to either make the team soon or move on. Again, just speculating on players that may go if were out of playoff spot come the deadline, not saying they will be but worth a mention as a possibility IMO.

Quote:
I'd also add that anything we acquire at the deadline will probably have multiple years of service attached or is somebody we're likely to re-sign. I doubt that Murray adds a temporary piece right now.
This I definitely hope your right on, especially if more picks/prospects get traded.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
kyle747

Quote:

Do you think we'll end up keeping Lee?

Old
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
kyle747

Quote:

Old
12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
I do now. The prospects behind him on the right side are longshots, Gonchar will be gone in a year and Carkner may not even last that long. Unless Karlsson's going to start playing 60 minutes a game, Brian Lee seems to be in the long term plans.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
We're 28th in shots against per game and only 11th in shots for per game. I think adding Volch helps balance those numbers out.

Closed Thread