HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Management thread 3.0 (All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Old
12-22-2011, 10:47 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
http://quebecfrancais.org/node/3699

"Mouvement Québec Français" organized a manifestation in front of the Bell Center January 7th against Randy Cunneyworth.

This is a real joke. What the *******? These hippies never watched a hockey game, don't even know what a offside is.

Wow.
Maybe you can't read French, but the protest is not against Cunneyworth at all, so everybody here are raging for nothing and are looking like fools.

P.S. I think they have valid point about the Winnipeg Jets. If it's true that they are forbidding Pascal Vincent of giving interviews in French, even to French Canadian medias, then that's completely stupid and it should be denounced by those who don't have double standards and who think hockey teams should not have language policies, right?

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:47 AM
mrcontractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Randy says, "i will learn french... tout de suite", im confident we are not in this mess we are in now
Even if Randy did speak a bit of french, I think that these biggots would still complain. He is from Toronto and an anglophone afterall. I'm a french quebecois as well.

mrcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I don't know if he was available, but what if Jacques Lemaire was named interim coach? Now he's a true interim coach (as he proved last year). The language controversy would not have surfaced and he could have turned the season around. For me, the choice of Cunneyworth was the worst they could have made (and not because of his competence as a coach - maybe he'll become a great coach, just not in Montreal) and Pierre Gauthier is to blame. He should be facing the media every day from now on - answering questions in French for the French Media.

"Mr. Gauthier, why was St-Denis sent to the minors when his plus-minus was better than Emelin's?"
"Mr. Gauthier, Cammalleri is got 19:54 of ice time but Desharnais only got 18:45. Can you explain?"
"Mr. Gauthier, now that the "youthful" defensemen are not playing, who do you blame for tonight's loss?"
Jacques Lemaire said he doesn't want to come back to Montreal to coach because (and I quote) "they want to know what colour underwear you have on over there".

Besides, you guys found JM boring. You'd probably get the lynch mob to fire him setup within a month. Seems to me he's even more defensive oriented than JM.

Having said all that, I'd love to see him behind our bench.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Maybe you can't read French, but the protest is not against Cunneyworth at all, so everybody here are raging for nothing and are looking like fools.

P.S. I think they have valid point about the Winnipeg Jets. If it's true that they are forbidding Pascal Vincent of giving interviews in French, even to French Canadian medias, then that's completely stupid and it should be denounced by those who don't have double standards and who think hockey teams should not have language policies, right?
Not true about Vincent. He was on rds speaking French just a couple nights ago.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Et le But

Quote:
If this is true then that's sickening xenophobia from the part of the Jets. Sounds like a pathetic attempt to suck up to the Harper government.

But is there a more reliable source than the Mouvement Quebec Francais? I've never heard of a team banning French speakers from speaking to the Quebecois media before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not true about Vincent. He was on rds speaking French just a couple nights ago.
And there you go. It's telling that these people would spread lies like that.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:54 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Any inexperienced coach would be in over their head, even an experienced coach.
Fair, but Cunneyworth isn't helping himself with his personnel management. He could just have followed Martin's blueprint, rather than hurt the team with his insistence to play the fourth line. Or at least, if you're going to give the lines new roles, make sure they have the right personnel to do it, don't just throw out Martin's units which were designed for a plan you're explicitly not following.

Cunneyworth is coming across to me not as inexperienced but incompetent. He's coaching like I would expect a fourth-liner who never really studied the game at the macro level would. This is not gonna work in the NHL, let alone with this roster.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Quote:

The catalyst for the protest is the hiring of Cunneyworth: "Et voilà qu'on nomme un entraîneur-chef qui ne parle pas un seul mot de français." They wouldn't have done the protest otherwise.

Their strongest issue (if it's really true) IMO is the one they have with Pascal Vincent. Problem is, they should go and protest in front of the MTS Center in Winnipeg or at the NHL offices in New York, not at the Bell Center.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Fair, but Cunneyworth isn't helping himself with his personnel management. He could just have followed Martin's blueprint, rather than hurt the team with his insistence to play the fourth line. Or at least, if you're going to give the lines new roles, make sure they have the right personnel to do it, don't just throw out Martin's units which were designed for a plan you're explicitly not following.

Cunneyworth is coming across to me not as inexperienced but incompetent. He's coaching like I would expect a fourth-liner who never really studied the game at the macro level would. This is not gonna work in the NHL, let alone with this roster.
If anything he's coaching the way someone on HF would. All we need is some 6'5" guy who can't skate but can fight to log 20 minutes to "bring energy".

On a serious not he's making mistakes but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was probably directed to play a more offensive style but without Martin's system they look lost out there. Honestly the fourth line hasn't played any worse than our so called top 2 players are in some cases.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:00 AM
hellojp

- Molson will not rectify the situation this year.
- Unless some miracle happens, we are not playoff bound
- These French groups and the Franco politicians will continue to use this situation to bring attention to their cause.
- The media will continue sh!ting on the team because of their performance.
- This summer the coaching and management staff will be flushed.

Hopefully Mr. Molson can figure out how to fix this mess. I suspect that he wants a team that can draft, develop and maintain a winning team and get us out once and for all from the post 93 slump.

hellojp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
" These French groups and the Franco politicians will continue to use this situation to bring attention to their cause.

and they have no problem sinking the team while they are at it
yes they love the Habs and the culture..they dont love anything

it just feels like the team under attack to me, i dont care who it is, more human stupidity

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:05 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojp View Post
Hopefully Mr. Molson can figure out how to fix this mess.
I'd be a lot more confident if I didn't suspect that Molson created this mess in the first place.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:05 AM
ClasslessGuy

Finala a good article on cyberpresse: (french)

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/opinions/2...0_accueil_POS1

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:06 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
On a serious not he's making mistakes but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was probably directed to play a more offensive style but without Martin's system they look lost out there.
How do you play a more offensive style by playing the guys with no offensive skill over the guys that have them?

Old
12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post

It's not an article per say. The guy is not a journalist, but I share his point of view to a certain extent.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
AreYouHockey

Just another source

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/sports/no...22-094524.html

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

Sad but it made me laugh

Le dernier entraîneur du Canadien à gagner la Coupe Stanley était incapable de lire ou d'écrire le français

Good read, thanks for the link

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

Gauthier is next in line to be fired. No way his gonna save his ass this time.

He had a serious brain cramp by firing Martin at this very stage of the season and replacing him with Cunneyworth (and Carrière).

Old
12-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
How do you play a more offensive style by playing the guys with no offensive skill over the guys that have them?
The mystical "energy" that HF posters love to talk about.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:

Interesting article. It's incredible the amount of francophones that were driven out of Montreal only to succeed elsewhere... and those who simply refused to play or coach in Montreal.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Intense

If the allegations regarding the Jets are true, expect a "you know what" storm.

Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:16 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
If the allegations regarding the Jets are true, expect a "you know what" storm.
Please, care to explain.

Thanks

Old
12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Please, care to explain.

Thanks

les Jets de Winnipeg appuient l'unilinguisme anglais des Canadiens en empêchant leur entraîneur adjoint, Pascal Vincent, d'accorder des entrevues en français.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Intense

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Please, care to explain.

Thanks

Supposedly, they issued directives to Pascal Vincent to not do any interview in french, only english.

Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

les Jets de Winnipeg appuient l'unilinguisme anglais des Canadiens en empêchant leur entraîneur adjoint, Pascal Vincent, d'accorder des entrevues en français.
That's pure BS, IF ever it was true that they asked Vincent not to do an interview in french doesn't mean they support the bold part... at least put «appuient en quelque sorte» before..

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
That's pure BS, IF ever it was true that they asked Vincent not to do an interview in french doesn't mean they support the bold part... at least put «appuient en quelque sorte» before..
No kidding it's BS, the people saying this want to give out little Quebec flags before a hockey game on January 7th!