HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Management thread 3.0 (All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Old
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
I don't want to get this too political, but it's clear reading this thread why the CAQ is getting so much traction. Most of us have it up our collective bums of these ridiculous and petty battles.

It's a COACH. I mean, Toe Blake spoke very good french, right?!? It's not an insult to a whole nation, it's not "laughing in the face of your fanbase", it's a HOCKEY DECISION.

I believe it's a bad one, but it has nothing to do with spoken languages, I just don't think a lame duck coach is gonna get the boys riled up. I hope he proves me wrong.

Some people say that this rally makes them ashamed of being french canadian. Don't be. Such hardline nationalists are the minority. They got wrecked in the federal elections, and they are looking to be wrecked in the provincial elections (and they'll blame Marois instead of the fact that we had enough of that crap). You should be proud of being part of the majority that love our language, want to defend it, promote it and make it shine, but don't see english as the ENEMY THAT MUST GO DOWN. Be proud. Laugh at that rally, cheer our Habs so they start winning again despite all this, and be happy with your lives.

Anyhow.

François Gagnon said that he believes Damphousse would make a great GM - because Molson should kick Gauthier out ASAP. Other than being really bad at shampoo ads, he's got a good head, experience and knows the league well. What do you think?

I personally think that he's a better candidate than Mr. Pierre. Which doesn't mean much ^_^.
When francois gagnon starts talking, I usually stop listening. Does damphousse even have any managerial experience? Sounds to me like Rejean Houle 2.0.

Also, I doubt (and hope) the habs wouldn't hire the guy with 6 counts of alleged spousal abuse against him. Not sure if that was ever settled, but boy would that be a disaster if it ever came to light that it was true.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:32 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
Other than being really bad at shampoo ads, he's got a good head, experience and knows the league well. What do you think?

I personally think that he's a better candidate than Mr. Pierre. Which doesn't mean much ^_^.
I'm all for Damphouse and any other GM candidate as long as they truly select Players, make trades, etc based on their credentials and not get influenced by the media AND have GM experience.

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:32 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
When francois gagnon starts talking, I usually stop listening. Does damphousse even have any managerial experience? Sounds to me like Rejean Houle 2.0.

Also, I doubt (and hope) the habs wouldn't hire the guy with 6 counts of alleged spousal abuse against him. Not sure if that was ever settled, but boy would that be a disaster if it ever came to light that it was true.
I lost a lot of respect for Gagnon over this.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:38 PM
KirkMuller93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I lost a lot of respect for Gagnon over this.
Agreed,

Gagnon hates the idea of a Unilingual coach just like the rest of french media.

Tell him to go back to covering the Sens that idiot.

Really hope the Nordiques get a team again so most of the french media and politicians (aka non hockey fans) go back to Quebec.

KirkMuller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Habs05

Quote:
Yes the Habs are limiting themselves.

Here is a proof.

We only have Pot B to choose from while the other 29 teams have Pot A?
You don't understand, there is no Pot B. What they want them to do is to take the best coach possible in Pot A but in french if possible. You gonna tell me Randy Cunneyworth (no experience as a NHL head coach) is the best coach available in Pot A?

If, at EQUAL TALENT, a french coach is possible, grab the french one. If the BEST coach speak only english then grab the english one.

What's happening now is that Montreal's fans don't believe Randy is BETTER than other french coaches currently available.

Habs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Intense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs05 View Post
You don't understand, there is no Pot B. What they want them to do is to take the best coach possible in Pot A but in french if possible. You gonna tell me Randy Cunneyworth (no experience as a NHL head coach) is the best coach available in Pot A?

If, at EQUAL TALENT, a french coach is possible, grab the french one. If the BEST coach speak only english then grab the english one.

What's happening now is that Montreal's fans don't believe Randy is BETTER than other french coaches currently available.

Perfectly summed up.

Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
Who would they be? Where they ever asked and they declined?

Also, who would be available come after the playoffs?

Is it possible that whoever is available now is not as good as who will be available after the playoffs and that's what Molson is waiting for?

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
More chances to have good coaches in a bigger pot right?
well, you're the one talking about PROOF...

so, how about ONE instance where we missed on a player/coach cause of language, ONE...

considering Habs are +/- 100 years old, that shouldnt be too hard to find right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Protest the Hero

What has Damphousse done to become a front runner for the GM talks, I'm actually curious. Does he have any experience, or is he just hoping his buddies on RDS can whine enough to get him a job he's not qualified for.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:48 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

INTERIM coach.

If the next coach is English and for the Habs he is the best possible, you will still get French mobs.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

On this one piss-poor decision alone, Gauthier deserves to lose his job.

How did he not foresee this result....or this reaction?

Au revoir PG.

I just hope that the next GM, takes this team in a new direction with a new attacking system.

Losing sucks....but losing with a boring team sucks even more.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
What has Damphousse done to become a front runner for the GM talks, I'm actually curious. Does he have any experience, or is he just hoping his buddies on RDS can whine enough to get him a job he's not qualified for.
What I've heard:
He lead the NHLPA in CBA discussions, so I assume he knows it back to front.
He's also apprantly good with numbers and dollar figures from the buisiness side of things.
No idea about his abilities in evaluating NHL talent or drafting.

For what it's worth, Mathias Brunet says he likes him as a potential GM, which I don't think he'd say unless he'd spoken to him about his views.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
What I've heard:
He lead the NHLPA in CBA discussions, so I assume he knows it back to front.
He's also apprantly good with numbers and dollar figures from the buisiness side of things.
No idea about his abilities in evaluating NHL talent or drafting.

For what it's worth, Mathias Brunet says he likes him as a potential GM, which I don't think he'd say unless he'd spoken to him about his views.
Thanks, he should take the long road like everyone else then. No way would I make his first management job the GM of the Montreal Canadiens. Sounds like he might make a good assistant GM for now.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
On this one piss-poor decision alone, Gauthier deserves to lose his job.

How did he not foresee this result....or this reaction?

Au revoir PG.

I just hope that the next GM, takes this team in a new direction with a new attacking system.

Losing sucks....but losing with a boring team sucks even more.
What "piss poor" decision is that?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What "piss poor" decision is that?

well, how about firing a coach and replacing him with one who's no better, if not worse... while causing "the storm"

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Per FM98,5; source in the room says players don't buy Cunneyworth.

In other words, players are starting to piss in the ear of the press: reminiscent of the Houle administration.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
well, how about firing a coach and replacing him with one who's no better, if not worse... while causing "the storm"
How do you know he is no better? He's coached 3 freaking games, 2 of which were against the top teams in each conference. Plus, taking over midsteam I doubt he's had much of a chance to make drastic changes in systems or strategies.

...but don't let that get in the way of your pointless rant.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:38 PM
andy28

Quote:
Yes the Habs are limiting themselves.

Here is a proof.

We only have Pot B to choose from while the other 29 teams have Pot A?
You are as good an artist as I am.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

What you don't understand is that RC is interim. At this point Geoff Molson came out and blatantly said that there will be another coach. A french speaking coach.

All this fuzz just because some people can't see farther than their own nose.

Something had to be done, JM was fired, the habs would've never hired a guy like Carlyle. It takes time when language is a determinant factor in the identity of our new coach. Ao PG did what he had to do and put the most competent guy in the organization in that role. It happens that this guy only speaks english and not french.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:43 PM
andy28

Quote:
I don't think he is either. No one knows what kind of coach he is. But this guy is just here for now. They have always hired bilingual coaches and they will continue to do so. We are probably going to see some changes with this team pretty soon, and this guy is a place holder while that happens. They probably don't want to hire someone new right now. For better or worse, the coach is often the first to go. Right now they promoted an assistant. They probably do not want to pay a good coach to just oversee the meltdown. That will come in the offseason. I am sure Quebec culture can survive this terrible blasphemy.

Last edited by andy28: 12-22-2011 at 05:58 PM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:15 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

Randy is the INTERIM coach. He's a lame duck coach. Why are you getting all bent out of shape about this? He will not be here next year. What's the point in bringing in a french coach who's probably coaching a team right now and then adding him to your payroll when you probably will fire him as well. No coach is going to leave whatever job they have just to be an interim HC. The best guy that would work with is Cunneyworth. Plus, he knows the guys. There's a familiarity there.

I can't believe people are freaking out over an interim coach. In the offseason there will be more available coaches and management will have more time to run a legit screening process. Jeez

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Per FM98,5; source in the room says players don't buy Cunneyworth.
Heard that. I don't generally buy that kind of talk, but I can't imagine they haven't noticed he's not exactly on the same level as the other guy.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Exactly. Can't stand that ********.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Habsbobabs

If that is true the players need to **** and play and not worry who the coach is. Sounds to me like this group of players need to quit acting like babies and stop feeling sorry for themselves.

Habsbobabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 07:05 PM
NewHabsEra*

So what are you blaming Pierre Gauthier for?

Hiring Jacques Martin? no

Signing Gomez Cammalleri Gionta? No

Trading Halak for Eller and Schultz? Yeah.. and I still like that trade

Not resigning papy Hamrlik who has been a healthy scratch for the Caps?

Trading an over hyped physical defenseman for a young promising Quebecer in Bournival? Yeah

Are you blaming him for re-signing injured Andrei Markov? I certainly can understand your frustration, but I also understand Gauthier to have took that gamble.. Do you rather take a risk on Markov signing him for 3 more years at about the same money hoping he will get back at his good days form or you rather enter in the race to sign a guy like Ehrhoff being willing to pay him till 2021? Do you take the gamble to re-sign Markov for 3 more years or you would rather take Wisniewski's ridiculous contract on your shoulders for the next 7 years knowing pretty well about his defensive game? What other options Gauthier had tell me? What different would you have done to replace Markov tell me? Quality defensemen like Kronwall have been re-signed, the only blame on Gauthier as far as Im concerned is the evaluation regarding depth on D.. I think he could have found better replacement for Gill but here again, thats only speculation from me, I dont know who was really avalaible and what was the price.. Gill, while highly flawed, showed good composure in playoffs, was very appreciated in the locker room and we could agree on a 1 year deal so thats not a very bad decision if you put things in perspective..

Gauthier has been pretty active since he has been hired, he traded a third round pick for Dominic Moore 2 years ago, a guy who quite stabilized our center line and who has been a big part of the Habs success in what has been one of the most spectacular playoffs race in years.. Thx to Halak, but thx to Gauthier as well for fixing a big hole down the middle.. Last year was the Wiz move, we traded a second round pick away to repair the roof, what gave us the an exciting end of season as well as a great war to our eternal rivals, the Bruins.. We were 1 goal away to stop them..

You have to stay in the reality here, this is not NHL2012 where you can make your own trades and do about everything you want.. I think Gauthier has done a pretty good job so far for the Habs, cant fill Cammalleri's skates neither the ones of Gomez and couldnt predict our team to be so dysfonctional.. Some of our guys have choked big time and most of those guys arent Gauhtier's signings but rather Gainey's ones.. Gauthier is limited in what he really can do but I think he has been doing very fine considering how slim the flexibility is of a team full of overpaid players..

I say if the team miserably fails like it looks to be, give him at least the chance to retool and do the moves that need to be made.. Gauthier remains a great hockey mind, if you are going to replace him, at least be smarter than throwing names like Damphousse as successor..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote