HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Give Kadri #13 and hope he succeeds

Old
12-22-2011, 06:06 PM
ItsOurGame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
my exact reaction to this article:

lmao the muppet in the back almost made me cry laughing

ItsOurGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Wrote a response to this story, if anyone wants to read it:
http://leafshq.com/2011/12/23/numeric-non-factor/

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:29 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

very glad burke runs this franchise. some people are so dumb.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Doshy

This article sounds so stupid I don't even wanna bother reading it.

If Kadri should switch his number, it should be to 91. But it's not gonna change how he plays. You're gonna call the kid the 2nd coming of Mats to make him feel like he's part of the team? Hah. That's like piling on the pressure.

Doshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
His article as a whole was stupid, but his comparisons were even worse. What a knob.

Crispy Crust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:53 AM
MrChris

Can you imagine if he was given #13 after this article?

Cox would be glowing like a pregnant woman... Taking all the credit for the 2 goals in 2 nights...

MrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Man Bear Pig

I dunno what's worse, reading something he wrote or the fact that someone referred to it as a "great article".

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Courage*

Gotta give Cox credit: he's clever. He sees there is a groundswell of opinion in favour of giving Kadri a shot so he spins this business about the Leafs effort to develop a high-end draft pick as ultimately holding the kid back. If the opposite had occurred, and the Leafs had let Kadri make his mistakes in the NHL, he'd be talking about Gary Nylund and all the other rushed prospects, 40 years of failure, etc. What's amazing is that he can pull do the same routine for money year after year. Would you go see a comic who never had any new material?

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:12 AM
416Leafer

I don't necessarily agree with Cox's ideas in this article... But compared to a few years ago when every article just wrote about how bad the farm system was, how bad the team was, the coach, the GM, etc etc. It's nice to read some articles that show a bit of support for a player or for the team, even if the article kind of misses the mark.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I don't necessarily agree with Cox's ideas in this article... But compared to a few years ago when every article just wrote about how bad the farm system was, how bad the team was, the coach, the GM, etc etc. It's nice to read some articles that show a bit of support for a player or for the team, even if the article kind of misses the mark.
That's true. He's been a lot more willing to dole out kudos the past couple of seasons. But this whole idea that the organisation is holding Kadri back by seasoning him in the minors is just stirring the pot for the sake of it. Of that I'm positive.

Old
12-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Crabovski*

"his status as the first player selected by Brian Burke during his tenure in Toronto accords him no special status at all, that being highly skilled and the seventh pick of the 2009 entry draft just means he’ll have to work as hard — or harder — than any other player to crack the NHL lineup."

When you read it without the context of Cox's joke of an article the quote seems like something reasonable and generic. But when reading the article and noting how Cox is expressing the thought pessimistically just turns it into a joke. Yea lets just toss him on the 2nd line NHL squad just cause he was drafted high. Lets not wait to see IF he can perform at a top 6 NHL level, lets just throw him into the water and if he cant swim, than oh well, we'll only lose games, nothing big. This article was awful.

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:52 PM
IME

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Indeed. Wasn't there a list somewhere of all Leafs by number? I seem to remember either a thread or article rating the best Leafs all time by jersey number?

Here we go!! Didn't check how up to date (Oh and it was Miro Ihnacek):

http://www.tmlfever.com/alltimesweaternumbers.html
looks to be pre-lockout. They don't have Aubin (30) or Ian White (37) (05-06), but they have everything pre-lockout

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Tak7

First - who cares about the #? So what if it's Mats? They didn't retire the number so it doesn't matter.

Second - Both sides are wrong; the apologists and the Kadri backers. The team is being patient with him, and clearly thinks of him highly. There have been tons of players who have taken their time before they are NHL ready; there's nothing at all wrong with this team being patient with him, and clearly, they have made the right decision because in the last 2 games he's looked a completely different player.

Third - It's Damien Cox; like I said when Dreger made the comment about Getzlaf: they know they are going to get a reaction out of Leafs fans, the same way an older sibling dangles candy in front of a baby, or dangling a chicken leg over a starving man. Cox is so out of touch with reality in some of his articles, that it's so hard to take anything he says seriously, and I don't.

"The team has done so much to make sure he doesn't feel like a special player, that they are limiting his ability to become a special player??"

- I would love to see anyone say that about Detroit's philosophy with their young players. It's been pretty much the same philosophy we've used on Kadri. Entitlement; he has to earn it, he has to prove it.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
Wrote a response to this story, if anyone wants to read it:
http://leafshq.com/2011/12/23/numeric-non-factor/
Brilliant

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

I don't care, giving Nazem Mats' number right now is just moronic.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:29 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I just know if the Leafs had given Kadri the number 13 Cox would have said things like "Could you put any more pressure on the kid?" and "That doesn't seem like a way to show respect for your former captain."

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:56 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Nice of the OP to stick around and defend his stance.

Great to see Kadri up and good to see management taking their time with him.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Nice of the OP to stick around and defend his stance.

Great to see Kadri up and good to see management taking their time with him.
Why would a media drone stick around?