HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Evolution of Evgeni Malkin (All things Evgeni Malkin)

Old
12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Dan Barr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
This would be the thing to exclude Orpik. Idk how well he would get along with the stripes. He argues almost every penalty ha. I think Staal would be the most reasonable choice. Level headed, tough, all around player, one of the longest tenures with the team. No idea what he's like in the room though.
So does pretty much every other player in the league.

Also, as far as "not knowing how he'd get along" with them goes, he already wears an A, so...

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Jaded-Fan

Does anyone even seriously believe that Malkin would want to be Captain? Everything about him says he enjoys doing his thing and not having to deal with the media constantly.

And Crosby's stamp is all over this team. I just do not see it on any level.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
StaalForOne
#FreeBeau

Send a message via AIM to StaalForOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by millzee53 View Post
What evidence do you have that Orpik doesnt get along with refs? And anyways, what does that matter?

You want your captain arguing with the refs to an extent. Do you want your captain to say "Yes ref, you're right" and skate away. No. Orpik is a perfect captain and could be a captain for almost any team. He leads by example, knows how to set the tone when it matters, and doesnt take **** from people without being dumb about retaliating.
None, but if he is constantly complaining the refs would tend not to side with him, or perhaps choose not to grant him a make-up call. However Sid used to complain a lot more to refs, and he was able to put that behind when he received the C. It's just a point I brought up was all, Orpik is one of my favorites I would have no problem with him donning the C in Sid's absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
So does pretty much every other player in the league.

Also, as far as "not knowing how he'd get along" with them goes, he already wears an A, so...
It just seems he is overly vocal at times about some calls against him, even if they are completely warranted.Again, just a thought.

StaalForOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
So I figured I would throw it out there but if Sid is done for a long time (i.e. the rest of the season) is it really fair for one of the best players to continue to not receive the 'C'?

I know, it's Sid's team but can it really be if he can't play and properly lead the team on the ice? And I'm not even sure if this is something that Geno would truly want, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and feelings about this.
Being captain isn't about just on-ice conduct nor is it about the best player automatically being captain either. It's being the face of the team. Malkin is clearly comfortable being one of the A's. He would not be comfortable in Sid's role, & why fix something that clearly isn't broke?

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Exactly. The letter on the chest doesn't matter.

One of the captain's biggest roles is talking to the refs, being the conduit for the team, and talking in the room. Malkin's English is greatly improved and commendable, but he's hardly the guy best suited for such a role.
I think having the C would matter to Geno. I'm not sure that anyone has enough information about how he feels to say he probably doesn't want it or the attention. I would think he would be honored and may flourish under the pressure. I'm not so sure he enjoys being second fiddle like many people seem to think. Of course, I'm not basing that opinion on any more information than what those who have an opposing viewpoint have. It seems as though it's a conceivable notion and he did refuse to concede being the last one out on the ice to Sid by telling Sid he had more pro time ( I forget exactly how that went down) so I would think a decent size ego that would probably enjoy that kind of stroking.

I do agree that the language barrier could be a problem though or else I might lobby more on his behalf.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
gopens66
25-66-92

I would have no problem with an interim captain. I don't see a need for one, but I would have no problem with them doing it. In the Mario/Francis situation, it was clear who the leader was when Mario was out of the lineup. Francis was a tremendous player, highly intelligent, and well respected by his teammates, opponents, and officials alike. I'm sure the officials liked it better when Ronnie was wearing the "C". Francis would communicate with the refs without showing them up. Mario would bark at them, and then skate after them across center ice in front of pretty much everyone until he was through barking.
Right now, it's not so cut and dry. There are players with certain captain qualities, but maybe not the entire package. Malkin lacks the communication skills, Orpik does take stupid penalties and goes headhunting at times. (I don't mean targeting the head here.) Because of these reasons, they will probably go with 3 A's.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Niklam

Send a message via AIM to Niklam
Malkin is not exactly a vocal leader. He's somewhat misunderstood, even amongst his own team. Giving him the C just because of his stats is nuts. Someone mentioned Ovechkin which is one of the dumbest captain choices ever and I suspect it was only done to counter Sid's early captain title.

I would probably have to go with Orpik for the captaincy, not that he is an unbelievably good candidate, but that he is the best option on the team. Also it would be nice to see him get out of the little funk he is in, and maybe that would snap him out of it.

As for Malkin, the language barrier is enough for him to deal with, captaincy is too much to throw at him.

Niklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

No, Crosby could/can still cheer lead and probably come back in the playoffs. Just having him around gets them in a better place.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:11 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Do people understand what being a captain means? It has little to do with stats. Or even on-ice performance. It's about how the players in the room act vis-a-vis the other players on the team.
Ovechkin tho

lol

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:11 PM
metalan2

Question:

Why in the 90s when Lemieux was out did they always alternate C's? If Mario missed a game there would be a guy wearing the C in that game.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:31 PM
vecens24

Yeah I think if something happened like Crosby being done it would go to Orpik. As was already said if there's an issue someone has to relay to the team from the referees he's the one who's out there most of the time doing it. Also he's much more of a vocal guy as is than Malkin.

I wouldn't have an issue with an interim captain, and in fact if Sid did miss the rest of this season (I know I'm making a big leap here and I don't necessarily expect it I'm just using this as an example) and was going to miss the start of next season too, I would want Orpik named captain at the beginning of next season because he'd deserve it at that point in my opinion (a year and a half basically of having the duties as it is makes him deserving of it in name instead of a de facto recognition). That's just my opinion though. Give him the interim tag and let him wear the C til Crosby gets back.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Who's KIRK?

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmcd24 View Post
Who's KIRK?
http://hfboards.com/member.php?u=27166

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:51 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Question:

Why in the 90s when Lemieux was out did they always alternate C's? If Mario missed a game there would be a guy wearing the C in that game.
that wasn't the case at all. Lemieux was pretty much captain until he retired. Ron Francis was captain the year he took off (lockout shortened season), but Lemieux regained the C until his first retirement. Francis took over in '97 & held it until he signed with Carolina. Then doucheb-- er, Jagr had it until Mario came back & Jagr left after 2001. Mario had it again until his final retirement.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Does that mean we (also) can blame his faceoff results on having usually crappy wingers then ?

KIRK will go bananas with this seeing how Malkin's percentages are way up after having had Kunitz added.

I'm a little more interested in the 11 points in 4 games since Kunitz was added . . .

Pretty sure the word I'm looking for is VINDICATION.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah I think if something happened like Crosby being done it would go to Orpik. As was already said if there's an issue someone has to relay to the team from the referees he's the one who's out there most of the time doing it. Also he's much more of a vocal guy as is than Malkin.

I wouldn't have an issue with an interim captain, and in fact if Sid did miss the rest of this season (I know I'm making a big leap here and I don't necessarily expect it I'm just using this as an example) and was going to miss the start of next season too, I would want Orpik named captain at the beginning of next season because he'd deserve it at that point in my opinion (a year and a half basically of having the duties as it is makes him deserving of it in name instead of a de facto recognition). That's just my opinion though. Give him the interim tag and let him wear the C til Crosby gets back.
I don't think it will or should be Malkin, but I wonder if it might be Staal who would get the interim C.

Old
12-21-2011, 05:13 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Is it bad that I root against everyone but Vitale in the faceoff circle for a chance to see Mike Zigomanis back in the lineup?

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Is it bad that I root against everyone but Vitale in the faceoff circle for a chance to see Mike Zigomanis back in the lineup?
Does this have anything to do with the naked pictures of Zigomanis that allegedly surfaced?

Old
12-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Why the F are we even thinking about life after Crosby right now? If that occurs, the captaincy would be the least of our concerns.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
that wasn't the case at all. Lemieux was pretty much captain until he retired. Ron Francis was captain the year he took off (lockout shortened season), but Lemieux regained the C until his first retirement. Francis took over in '97 & held it until he signed with Carolina. Then doucheb-- er, Jagr had it until Mario came back & Jagr left after 2001. Mario had it again until his final retirement.
That isn't completely true. In 1991 when Lemieux was out, the C was given to Coffey for the most part, Cullen, and Hillier. Badger Bob believed in someone wearing the C when the C would be out for sometime.

Lemieux didn't have an issue with it. Everyone on the team knew he was the C and would have it back when he played.

I think people get too wrapped up in this no one should wear the C because Crosby is out stuff. If Sid is out for a while, or they think he'll be out till next season, they should absolutely give the C to someone else, whether it be Orpik, Malkin, or Staal. If anything, it gives the Pens a primary player for the officials to communicate with about issues instead of anyone wearing the A wondering which one should go talk to the on ice official.

Orpik: "Stalsy, go talk to the ref..."
Staal: "Why don't you talk to the ref?"
Malkin: "Me talk to ref. Me tell him this ********."

Edit: Here's a pic I found when Coffey was wearing the C when Lemieux was out.

Here's a pic of Cullen wearing the C when Lemieux was out.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Question:

I actually remember something similar to this too, though I'm thinking like pre-lockout (02-04 maybe?) and it was somebody like Steve Mckenna or Robbie Brown. But I'm pretty sure that happened for a game or two.

Wes C Addle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:48 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Hmmm... good point.

But, lemme throw this at ya...

Most faceoffs are won by puck battle. It's usually a scrum of sorts, and they often say that faceoffs are "really" won by the wingers. On the PP, you have more guys on your side, battling for that loose puck.
I've never heard that. I'm not saying you're wrong and I can see where that cliche would come from, but I've honestly never heard it once.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
Which is why I threw in the line about Geno possibly not wanting even wanting it.

So here's a better question if, *knock on wood* worst case scenario, Sid doesn't come back, is it Malkin's at that point?
Am I wrong in thinking that you're supposed to knock on wood if you DON'T WANT to jinx what you are saying?

Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I've never heard that. I'm not saying you're wrong and I can see where that cliche would come from, but I've honestly never heard it once.
By "they" I meant me.

Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:39 PM
1pensfan

The C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
It would be clearly be Brooks'.
What ^ said....

1pensfan is offline   Reply With Quote