HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Franson appreciation?

Old
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM
khennig16*
Bikini Inspector

vCash: 500
his shot makes me wow out loud

no effort and it could be a knuckle puck, and he still gets it on net, and its a decently hard shot to top it off.

khennig16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Ari91

There are several things that I'm loving about his play.

1. His shot - he has an accurate shot that often finds its way through traffic and forces the goalie to make a save. He has a quick release that provides a good chance of either scoring or creating rebound opportunities for his teammates up front. And he's really good at recovering the puck when a player has blocked his shot.

2. He makes small but smart plays with the puck. How many times do the Leafs players just whack at the puck when they're under pressure? If Franson can't make a pass, he always sends the puck to open ice. That gives his teammates the opportunity to race for the puck while others are able to recover and get back in position.

3. He's becoming more and more physical. Not sure if that was an aspect of his game that was critiqued and he was made aware of but he's delivering more physicality and he looks completely comfortable doing. I like that he doesn't leave his position to inject that physicality into the game. He picks his spots wisely and shows a lot of committment in clearing the crease for his goalie by using his body.

Also a nice little stat about his play - he's the least penalized D man on our team. If you take out the players who have played less than 15 games this season, Franson is tied for 3rd for least PIM.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
GoLeafsGo96

All I read in the summer is that he was soft, slow, etc.

He hasn't been soft at all, and although he isn't the fastest guy on the ice... his footspeed isn't as big of a liability as many made it sound like.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentZ10 View Post
He has played alright, but this is just another example of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. He hasn't been anything better then a #5 kind of guy. He might look great to some because all they crave is constant change and roster turnover. But his feet are incredibly slow and his reaction time doesn't seem to be great. He has a great shot, but is a little awkward with the puck at times.
But as a #5 guy, don't his strengths and what he can contribute become even more impressive inspite of his flaws? Whatever his weaknesses are, he hasn't managed to make himself a liability to his team because of it and essentially that's what you want out of all of your players. None of them are perfect and all of them have flaws. A team full of players who know how to not let their weaknesses dictate their performance, I would say, makes for a strong tream.

The praise for him isn't implying that he's some #1 guy. He's slotting into a bottom pairing role and for many and to those who doubted him and even those who stuck by him, he's exceeding the expectations of many on both sides.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
firstemperor

He's been very solid for us. Gardiner has too but he makes mistakes. Phaneuf gets very lazy. Franson and Gunnarson have been solid throughout.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
He's been very solid for us. Gardiner has too but he makes mistakes. Phaneuf gets very lazy. Franson and Gunnarson have been solid throughout.
Easy there...Franson has his fair share of mistakes as well.

I would really like to see him get more PP time. Phaneuf seems stale on the PP right now, I really think Liles - Franson could be really good.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Antropovsky

If he played this physical in Nashville, I think it's safe to say that he'd have been playing in the Playoffs. Take the physicality out of his game for the Leafs, and I wouldn't be incredibly impressed with his play. Nothing worse than a soft 6'5 Defenseman.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
hattub

Hard to complain about the powerplay being second best in the league, but i wish Franson could get some more time on it. With Liles and Phaneuf hogging most of time has been good, but i think Franson and Liles combo could be even better. His shot is better in terms of accuracy than Dion's. I really think we could use him more effectively.

hattub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Gloob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Yes Franson has played very well for us...but do we need an appreciation thread for EVERY player on the Toronto Maple Leafs?
A thread dedicated to each leafs player on a leafs forum... hmm... yeah I do think we should have that. That being said I think I still have a welt from when we played ball hockey like 7 years ago lol so good on him for going pro. The Sicamous/Salmon arm area produces a lot of gems

Gloob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Darkhorse1280

I really hope Franson isn't traded. He has gotten alot better defensively, doesn't let his lack of foot speed become a liability anymore, and is a dangerous option for us on the PP.

His point shot is VERY deceptive and accurate, and is part of the reason why we have such a great PP currently. I really hope he isn't traded for the sole purpose of accommodating Komi's bloated contract when he comes off the IR. That would be very bad asset management on the part of Burke and Co.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post

He hasn't been soft at all, and although he isn't the fastest guy on the ice... his footspeed isn't as big of a liability as many made it sound like.
If Hal Gill and Chara can make a career in this league with their speed, Franson can.

His ability to move the puck negates the need for great footspeed on the offensive end. Positioning, stick work and physicality can make up for slow feet on defense.

I was hard on him at the start of the year, but he's really brought his game around and improved his most glaring weakness: softness on the body. We knew he could put up points, but to be anything more than a bit player, he needs to keep rounding out his defensive game. Any way you slice it, that was a whale of a trade. I'd take Franson's upside over Lebda every day of the week.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Phillippe Dupuis
Must be the most underappreciated player on the team Honsetly though, if someone starts and appreciation thread for him when he finally scores his first point with the team, I think I may be sick, lol.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloob View Post
A thread dedicated to each leafs player on a leafs forum... hmm... yeah I do think we should have that. That being said I think I still have a welt from when we played ball hockey like 7 years ago lol so good on him for going pro. The Sicamous/Salmon arm area produces a lot of gems
Why not just start a "sticky" thread and dedicate it to whichever Leaf is the favorite flavour of the week then?

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Why not just start a "sticky" thread and dedicate it to whichever Leaf is the favorite flavour of the week then?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Jaqen

If he was put on the first PP unit his points production would rocket.

Jaqen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:14 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post

I hear that, he's not soft at all, he's very physical and effective. He's isn't a gazelle, that much is true, but he's fine for a D man.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
If he was put on the first PP unit his points production would rocket.
I tend to agree. I'm noticing the last 2 games or so the Leafs PP has started to look familiarly passy-passy. Franson on the number 1 unit could shake things up, and keep it rolling.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:55 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
He's convinced me really quickly. He's been excellent. Strong defensively, not too bad offensively, great shot. I'll be pretty pissed if he's traded or sat for komisarek.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:23 PM
haayward

I agree. He's been great so far IMO. I love how almost every single shot is hard, low and right on net. It's unreal. Also I find it strange that when we got him we heard on and on about how soft he was.. seems pretty physical to me?

haayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:27 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Trade for 2nd asap.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

I get that some people like Franson, but he has not been our best dman at all. This guy gets hung out to dry once a game at least. He's painfully slow. He made Okposo look like Grabner on his goal tonight...

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Prolly the most improved defensemen for us since komi went down. He still has a while to go to show this is permanent in my eyes tbh.

I hope he can keep this up as I am very surprised with his added physicality.

12-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Makes you wonder if burkie has a trade up his sleeve with his rise actually.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:49 AM
jimmycarter

has played real well all around.

remember when phanuef used to try?....yeah i cant either.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
has played real well all around.

remember when phanuef used to try?....yeah i cant either.
Seems like it's been a while hasn't it? Like since a certain someone named Phaneuf the best something in a presser? I just don't get it.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote