HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2011, 08:00 AM
  #326
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
While true to a degree, you could look on the flip side and say few GMs would have anywhere close to the amount of exposure to youth talent as McQuire has over the past decade. I have noticed people citing him a poor decision due to his previous records, to which I have to ask. Do you believe in fifteen years he wouldn't be any different? I certainly say he is at worth giving an opportunity too.

What makes me favor him is the guaranteed change in philosophy McQuire would install, especially alongside Roy. We have sorely needed to shred our current lifeless identity and adopt a new but the Gainey/Gauthier era has brought this to a stagnate. McQuire has meanwhile been quite vocal about Montreal's needs and I feel he would be a good candidate to change this team for the better.
Yeah, right. Let's hire a media loudmouth who expresses opinions with no real responsibility.

For sure that makes him a great GM. Muppet post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
While true to a degree, you could look on the flip side and say few GMs would have anywhere close to the amount of exposure to youth talent as McQuire has over the past decade. I have noticed people citing him a poor decision due to his previous records, to which I have to ask. Do you believe in fifteen years he wouldn't be any different? I certainly say he is at worth giving an opportunity too.

What makes me favor him is the guaranteed change in philosophy McQuire would install, especially alongside Roy. We have sorely needed to shred our current lifeless identity and adopt a new but the Gainey/Gauthier era has brought this to a stagnate. McQuire has meanwhile been quite vocal about Montreal's needs and I feel he would be a good candidate to change this team for the better.
What makes you think McQuire is strong enough to change the philosophy of the Montreal Canadiens when actually in the extremely difficult, and sometimes impossible position of Managing the team?

You do realize there is a vast difference between a lowly media commentator and a responsible, professional GM right?


Last edited by Mike8: 12-31-2011 at 08:30 AM.
bsl is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 08:55 AM
  #327
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Bilingual GM
Bilingual coach
How bout we just get the best person for the position regardless of language I am all about winning and we are not doing that so lets worry less about what language they speak to the press and worry about the language of winning on the ice and a coach that can get that going from a team regardless of the language they speak.

29dryden29 is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 09:06 AM
  #328
Subban Fan
Registered User
 
Subban Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
My list for GM...

1. Claude Loiselle
2. Julien Brisebois
3. Pierre Mcguire

Subban Fan is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 09:18 AM
  #329
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban Fan View Post
My list for GM...

1. Claude Loiselle
2. Julien Brisebois
3. Pierre Mcguire
Why the hell would we make McGwire GM? If we want a clown at the helm we'll promote Youpi as he is already on payroll...

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 09:36 AM
  #330
Rand0mTAG
Rookie User
 
Rand0mTAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
I would like to nominate myself as both gm and coach

Qualifications:
- i am bilingual
- i have built myself a dynasty in nhl 11 (going on 5 straight cups)
- i was able to trade gomez to another team for solid prospects/draft picks
- player development is amazing. i have developped my player into, at worst, an 82goals/200point player
- i have won my last fantasy league and currently sitting in 3rd (in a 20 team league)

Rand0mTAG is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 09:44 AM
  #331
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Yeah, right. Let's hire a media loudmouth who expresses opinions with no real responsibility.

For sure that makes him a great GM. Muppet post.



What makes you think McQuire is strong enough to change the philosophy of the Montreal Canadiens when actually in the extremely difficult, and sometimes impossible position of Managing the team?

You do realize there is a vast difference between a lowly media commentator and a responsible, professional GM right?
Lowly media commentator??

Have you seen his CV??? Scotty Bowman said publicly that McGuire is a good fit in Montreal as GM. I'll take his opinion over yours.

I want to know, please people, why the hate for McGuire? does anyone have any founded arguments against him as a GM?

Sure Pierre might sound a little over zealous at time, but it's his job to sound exciting. It's TV not a newspaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_McGuire
-He has NHL coaching experience, so knows that part of the job.
-He was an assistant GM in the past and knows about being a GM.
-He was a pro scout on a couple teams (2 time Stanley cup teams) so knows about that part of the team
-He has been scouting in Europe and NA for many seasons, knows the other leagues very well and is up to date on the recent prospects.
-He's got contacts all over the league and has many friend in hockey at every level.
-He can speak french for those who care.

Why is he a bad choice? Why not give him consideration?


Last edited by Belso: 12-31-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Belso is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 09:45 AM
  #332
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Lowly media commentator??

Have you seen his CV??? Scotty Bowman said publicly that McGuire is a good fit in Montreal as GM. I'll take his opinion over yours. Lowly media commentator. The ignorance on this board is unbelievable...
In what context did Bowman say that?

People usually give politically correct answers.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 10:00 AM
  #333
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
In what context did Bowman say that?

People usually give politically correct answers.
I have to run but I found these articles on google..

http://www.montrealgazette.com/techn...555/story.html

http://tricolore.ca/chfans/showthrea...t=60669&page=1

Belso is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 10:03 AM
  #334
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Elliott Friedman, earlier in December:

The real wild card in Montreal is Patrick Roy. But he has to decide what he wants to do, if anything. (He has said he will not leave the QMJHL's Quebec Remparts during the season.) If Gauthier does go at some point, you will hear the name Julien Brisebois a lot. Now in Tampa, he was Hamilton's GM when the Bulldogs won the AHL's Calder Cup in 2007. One other name: Claude Loiselle. Keep hearing that Montreal COO Kevin Gilmore is a fan of Toronto's assistant GM.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Admirals coach Jon Cooper:

“I give (Lightning GM Steve Yzerman and Norfolk GM Julien BriseBois) a ton of credit. They were looking for candidates and they did their homework on guys that fit something specific that they wanted,” he said. “I don’t think they knew it was going to be me but I think my name came up to them on a couple of occasions and, they did their due diligence.”

“I walked out of (the interview) and was like, ‘I want to work for these guys’,” Cooper added, noting the well-respected reputations of both Yzerman and BriseBois.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._ahl_admirals/

Interview with Brisebois - http://www.ckoi.ca/mauricie/sports/n...boi-51923.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Lowly media commentator??

Have you seen his CV??? Scotty Bowman said publicly that McGuire is a good fit in Montreal as GM. I'll take his opinion over yours.
Bowman is McGuire's father in law, right?

If McGuire works his way back into the game as an assistant or in some other capacity for a team, he might eventually be worth considering for a GM interview. I just don't see how someone who has been a colour commentator for the last 15 years can be the best man for the job.


Last edited by Roulin: 12-31-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Roulin is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
  #335
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Elliott Friedman, earlier in December:

The real wild card in Montreal is Patrick Roy. But he has to decide what he wants to do, if anything. (He has said he will not leave the QMJHL's Quebec Remparts during the season.) If Gauthier does go at some point, you will hear the name Julien Brisebois a lot. Now in Tampa, he was Hamilton's GM when the Bulldogs won the AHL's Calder Cup in 2007. One other name: Claude Loiselle. Keep hearing that Montreal COO Kevin Gilmore is a fan of Toronto's assistant GM.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Admirals coach Jon Cooper:

“I give (Lightning GM Steve Yzerman and Norfolk GM Julien BriseBois) a ton of credit. They were looking for candidates and they did their homework on guys that fit something specific that they wanted,” he said. “I don’t think they knew it was going to be me but I think my name came up to them on a couple of occasions and, they did their due diligence.”

“I walked out of (the interview) and was like, ‘I want to work for these guys’,” Cooper added, noting the well-respected reputations of both Yzerman and BriseBois.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._ahl_admirals/

Interview with Brisebois - http://www.ckoi.ca/mauricie/sports/n...boi-51923.html



Bowman is McGuire's father in law, right?

If McGuire works his way back into the game as an assistant or in some other capacity for a team, he might eventually be worth considering for a GM interview. I just don't see how someone who has been a colour commentator for the last 15 years can be the best man for the job.
You are incorrect.

He had 2 interviews for the Wild job before they hired Chuck Fletcher, and I believe he was also a candidate elsewhere.

Patrick Roy is not interested in Montreal, if anything he is using the Montreal situation to get Colorado to make a panic move in hiring him for either GM or Coach, or potentially both.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 10:44 AM
  #336
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
You are incorrect.

He had 2 interviews for the Wild job before they hired Chuck Fletcher, and I believe he was also a candidate elsewhere.
My mistake, I thought I had heard that McGuire married into Bowman's family.

Anyway, I heard the interview, Melnick did not ask Bowman who he thought good candidates would be, he asked only about McGuire. I'm sure Bowman meant what he said, but I don't find the endorsement as big a deal as others do.

Yeah, McGuire interviewed for the Wild and Lightning jobs, and the Flames a long time ago. They all decided to hire candidates already working in hockey.

Roulin is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 11:14 AM
  #337
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
You are incorrect.

He had 2 interviews for the Wild job before they hired Chuck Fletcher, and I believe he was also a candidate elsewhere.

Patrick Roy is not interested in Montreal, if anything he is using the Montreal situation to get Colorado to make a panic move in hiring him for either GM or Coach, or potentially both.
I hope you are right. I pray to every Holy Being in existence that Roy coaches somewhere else, I do not want that traitor anywhere near my beloved Habs.

Quote:
I want to know, please people, why the hate for McGuire? does anyone have any founded arguments against him as a GM?
My biggest problem with McGuire is his self aggrandizement. He always makes sure anyone listening to him knows he has connections, talks to the super stars, worked with the greats, etc... He is always showcasing himself when talking. It is annoying.

I also do not like how he gets to use 20/20 hindsight to trash moves actual working GMs make while under pressure McGuire has never known. He also never acknowledges when he is wrong. I remember when Montreal lost Kovalev et al to free agency and picked up Cammy and crew that McGuire lambasted Tony Marinaro on the Team 990 because Tony said the Habs got younger. McGuire claimed the Habs got older, using Cill and Spacek as examples, but refused to acknowledge that we got rid of guys like Brisebois. I did some research, and the Habs actually became almost 2 years younger as a team. It was brought up on the radio, but McGuire never comented on it or apologized to Marinaro about attacking him while being completely wrong.

Bob McKenzie said it best when asked if he would be willing to be a GM:he said that he just takes what others have already written or said, and pontificates on it. McKenzie stated that he is a commentator with some knowledge who simply compiles what others have done and speaks about it. In my mind, that is what McGuire is, as well. McGuire has not been a part of the NHL for 15 years. It is a very different world out there. I am not saying I would protest or freak out if he became GM, I would be willing to see what he could do, but I hope there are better candidates out there than him.

Of course, I would far prefer him to Roy.


Last edited by Drydenwasthebest: 12-31-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling error
Drydenwasthebest is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 11:33 AM
  #338
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
My biggest problem with McGuire is his self aggrandizement. He always makes sure anyone listening to him knows he has connections, talks to the super stars, worked with the greats, etc... He is always showcasing himself when talking. It is annoying.

I also do not like how he gets to use 20/20 hindsight to trash moves actual working GMs make while under pressure McGuire has never known. He also never acknowledges when he is wrong. I remember when Montreal lost Kovalev et al to free agency and picked up Cammy and crew that McGuire lambasted Tony Marinaro on the Team 990 because Tony said the Habs got younger. McGuire claimed the Habs got older, using Cill and Spacek as examples, but refused to acknowledge that we got rid of guys like Brisebois. I did some research, and the Habs actually became almost 2 years younger as a team. It was brought up on the radio, but McGuire never comented on it or apologized to Marinaro about attacking him while being completely wrong.

Bob McKenzie said it best when asked if he would be willing to be a GM:he said that he just takes what others have already written or said, and pontificates on it. McKenzie stated that he is a commentator with some knowledge who simply compiles what others have done and speaks about it. In my mind, that is what McGuire is, as well. McGuire has not been a part of the NHL for 15 years. It is a very different world out there. I am not saying I would protest or freak out if he became GM, I would be willing to see what he could do, but I hope there are better candidates out there than him.

Of course, I would far prefer him to Roy.
Right on the money and a good way of putting it.

A lot of posters here don't listen to the English broadcasts on TSN over the years so they aren't aware of what an annoying, over-the-top-I'm so knowledgeable and I have the inside scoop I can't believe it routine he does.

He has bashed Habs management consistently, mostly for no good reason and he shows a complete lack of any class when he does it.

Plus, I think it would get nasty and mean between him and the press here right away, something I don't think he'll be able to handle very well.

Frozenice is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 11:44 AM
  #339
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Right on the money and a good way of putting it.

A lot of posters here don't listen to the English broadcasts on TSN over the years so they aren't aware of what an annoying, over-the-top-I'm so knowledgeable and I have the inside scoop I can't believe it routine he does.

He has bashed Habs management consistently, mostly for no good reason and he shows a complete lack of any class when he does it.

Plus, I think it would get nasty and mean between him and the press here right away, something I don't think he'll be able to handle very well.
Agreed. McGuire sounds more like a fan than an analyst, most times. He trashed the Gomez trade right away, but shut up when Gomez played well and helped the team during that ELC playoff run. He trashed Gomez and Gainey again the next season, saying the Rangers got the better of the deal without acknowledging that Gomez was a part of the team making the playoffs the previous year. I am not saying the Gomez trade was a good one, I was against it and wanted Gainey's head when it first happened. However, Gomez and the Habs have been to the playoffs both years since the deal. What have the Rangers done? They didn't make the playoffs either year, Higgins left after doing nothing, Valentenko is still not in the NHL, and McDonough (the main guy I never wanted us to lose!!!!) has only started contributing this year. Yes, the Rangers probably win the trade over the long term just on McDonough alone (not to mention the salary cap hit), but I think that the trade did what it was supposed to short term, just not long term, and McGuire has never acknowledged that side of the deal. McGuire is all about trashing the Habs management, which is probably his way of trying to get Molson to consider hiring him.

Like I said, he doesn't thrill me or fill me with confidence, but I would be willing to give him a shot if he was the best we could get. Far better we get him over Roy!!!

Drydenwasthebest is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 11:48 AM
  #340
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Plus, I think it would get nasty and mean between him and the press here right away, something I don't think he'll be able to handle very well.
Well I would go as far to say his experience in working with the media particularly in Montreal will give him an upper hand when dealing with them, he knows how they work and knows when to ignore.

I just think hes high energy and loves the game of hockey and would work his ass off as GM for Montreal.

Evil Ted is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 11:55 AM
  #341
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
I'd prefer McGuire over Brisebois AINEC.

habsjunkie2* is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 11:59 AM
  #342
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Well I would go as far to say his experience in working with the media particularly in Montreal will give him an upper hand when dealing with them, he knows how they work and knows when to ignore.

I just think hes high energy and loves the game of hockey and would work his ass off as GM for Montreal.
While I agree with that statement, the same could be said if the Habs hired me as GM!!! I worry that he doesn't have the actual skills to make appropriate deals to help our team as a GM, a position he has never held. I also think his time as a commentator might work against him making deals with some teams based on some of the comments he has made.

Drydenwasthebest is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 12:01 PM
  #343
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Right on the money and a good way of putting it.

A lot of posters here don't listen to the English broadcasts on TSN over the years so they aren't aware of what an annoying, over-the-top-I'm so knowledgeable and I have the inside scoop I can't believe it routine he does.

He has bashed Habs management consistently, mostly for no good reason and he shows a complete lack of any class when he does it.

Plus, I think it would get nasty and mean between him and the press here right away, something I don't think he'll be able to handle very well.
Disagree he was critical of Habs management because they continuously made poor decision after poor decision. He was critical of The gomez trade and all the moves Senile Bob made that summer and rightfully so, they were absolutely terrible and a good indication that Bob had lost his mind.

habsjunkie2* is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 12:26 PM
  #344
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Disagree he was critical of Habs management because they continuously made poor decision after poor decision. He was critical of The gomez trade and all the moves Senile Bob made that summer and rightfully so, they were absolutely terrible and a good indication that Bob had lost his mind.
True, but I think everyone knew that was a terrible trade. The most critical McGuire's ever been of the Habs is when they drafted Price.

Roulin is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 12:31 PM
  #345
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut
 
Galchenyuk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Who cares if Pierre is annoying on TSN? We don't have to listen to his analysis if he is our GM, we just have to sit back and enjoy the product on the ice that he will be putting out there.

Galchenyuk27 is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 12:37 PM
  #346
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,720
vCash: 500
No McGuire please.

Andy is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
  #347
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,265
vCash: 500
Don't you understand? McGuire left TSN because he didn't spend enough time with his family. Do you really think he'll take a GM job that requires being at meetings, scouting, etc.?

Maybe he'll join the cast, but he won't be GM.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now  
Old
12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
  #348
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Lowly media commentator??

Have you seen his CV??? Scotty Bowman said publicly that McGuire is a good fit in Montreal as GM. I'll take his opinion over yours.

I want to know, please people, why the hate for McGuire? does anyone have any founded arguments against him as a GM?

Sure Pierre might sound a little over zealous at time, but it's his job to sound exciting. It's TV not a newspaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_McGuire
-He has NHL coaching experience, so knows that part of the job.
-He was an assistant GM in the past and knows about being a GM.
-He was a pro scout on a couple teams (2 time Stanley cup teams) so knows about that part of the team
-He has been scouting in Europe and NA for many seasons, knows the other leagues very well and is up to date on the recent prospects.
-He's got contacts all over the league and has many friend in hockey at every level.
-He can speak french for those who care.

Why is he a bad choice? Why not give him consideration?
I don't think it's his lack of past achievements that scares most people. Many believe that his actual hands-on experience was so long ago that it might be akin to hiring a rookie GM for our beloved Habs and I guess that doesn't sit well. Added to which, he has not been a Habs booster on his radio segments with Melnick. In fact, he's usually the Doubting Thomas when transactions or draft picks are discussed.
Personally, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. Let's see him put his money where his mouth is. In any event, he should at least be a part of the interview process.

jwolf is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
  #349
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Who cares if Pierre is annoying on TSN? We don't have to listen to his analysis if he is our GM, we just have to sit back and enjoy the product on the ice that he will be putting out there.
That's what people don't understand, the person we see on TV isn't the same we would see managing our team

He hasn't any experience just like Brisebois, Loiselle and company difference is McGuire is around players and teams 24/7

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
12-31-2011, 01:04 PM
  #350
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I hope you are right. I pray to every Holy Being in existence that Roy coaches somewhere else, I do not want that traitor anywhere near my beloved Habs.



My biggest problem with McGuire is his self aggrandizement. He always makes sure anyone listening to him knows he has connections, talks to the super stars, worked with the greats, etc... He is always showcasing himself when talking. It is annoying.

I also do not like how he gets to use 20/20 hindsight to trash moves actual working GMs make while under pressure McGuire has never known. He also never acknowledges when he is wrong. I remember when Montreal lost Kovalev et al to free agency and picked up Cammy and crew that McGuire lambasted Tony Marinaro on the Team 990 because Tony said the Habs got younger. McGuire claimed the Habs got older, using Cill and Spacek as examples, but refused to acknowledge that we got rid of guys like Brisebois. I did some research, and the Habs actually became almost 2 years younger as a team. It was brought up on the radio, but McGuire never comented on it or apologized to Marinaro about attacking him while being completely wrong.

Bob McKenzie said it best when asked if he would be willing to be a GM:he said that he just takes what others have already written or said, and pontificates on it. McKenzie stated that he is a commentator with some knowledge who simply compiles what others have done and speaks about it. In my mind, that is what McGuire is, as well. McGuire has not been a part of the NHL for 15 years. It is a very different world out there. I am not saying I would protest or freak out if he became GM, I would be willing to see what he could do, but I hope there are better candidates out there than him.

Of course, I would far prefer him to Roy.
The self promotion comes in a package deal with a lot of people in a competitive business like this. A lot of these guys have egos the size of the Grand Canyon (see Burke, Brian). I don't think this alone should bother anyone.
I totally agree with the rest of your post, however. The Monday Morning QB nature to a lot of his commentary is frustrating to say the least.
And I too would FAR prefer him to Roy.

jwolf is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.