HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Who cares if Pierre is annoying on TSN? We don't have to listen to his analysis if he is our GM, we just have to sit back and enjoy the product on the ice that he will be putting out there.
I find him both not very bright and loud, which is why I find him annoying. He's equal parts stupid and loud, which is a bad combination.

I don't believe his product out there will be very good and it will quickly disintegrate into a 3-ring circus.

Old
12-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

It's too bad Dale Hawerchuk can't speak French (at least I don't think he can) because he would be the type of coach I would want.

Old
12-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why the hell would we make McGwire GM? If we want a clown at the helm we'll promote Youpi as he is already on payroll...
Thats why i prefer Loiselle and Brisebois...

Old
12-31-2011, 01:37 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Right on the money and a good way of putting it.

A lot of posters here don't listen to the English broadcasts on TSN over the years so they aren't aware of what an annoying, over-the-top-I'm so knowledgeable and I have the inside scoop I can't believe it routine he does.

He has bashed Habs management consistently, mostly for no good reason and he shows a complete lack of any class when he does it.

Plus, I think it would get nasty and mean between him and the press here right away, something I don't think he'll be able to handle very well.
He has bashed them with reason. His criticism of the mgmt team has never been that far off.

Why does he not show class when he is bashing the team. I find him to be overly polite when he is talking about any subject.

The man is paid to analyze and give his thoughts on hockey (a job we all do on this board for free). Are you perhaps jealous of him? I know I would love his job.

He grew up a Habs fan and just like the rest of us , he is sick and tired of what has happened to this once great franchise.

Other than being wrong about drafting Price ( all he said was we did not draft for need) , what other criticism of his has been wrong.

Gomez ? No
Huet ? No
taking Akost over Parise ? No.

Old
12-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Lowly media commentator??

Have you seen his CV??? Scotty Bowman said publicly that McGuire is a good fit in Montreal as GM. I'll take his opinion over yours.

I want to know, please people, why the hate for McGuire? does anyone have any founded arguments against him as a GM?

Sure Pierre might sound a little over zealous at time, but it's his job to sound exciting. It's TV not a newspaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_McGuire
-He has NHL coaching experience, so knows that part of the job.
-He was an assistant GM in the past and knows about being a GM.
-He was a pro scout on a couple teams (2 time Stanley cup teams) so knows about that part of the team
-He has been scouting in Europe and NA for many seasons, knows the other leagues very well and is up to date on the recent prospects.
-He's got contacts all over the league and has many friend in hockey at every level.
-He can speak french for those who care.

Why is he a bad choice? Why not give him consideration?
You have to put that into context. Bowman didn't come out saying that. He was ASKED what he thought of McG as a GM. What do you think he would answer, he's friends with McG (father-in-law apparently)? 'He sucks!'? Get real.

I would quit the Habs if the McG of hockey is GM here. It would be a repeat of the Houle era, with someone who just has a more outspoken personality.

The fact he hasn't been able to get an ASSISTANT Gm job in the NHL in the last decade should be quite enough to realize he's not ready to be GM, if he's ever ready. If he had such huge poitential, he would've already be on a team.

It's actually you who has it backwards. Question your own love for McG, as it stems from you following his circus and loving it. Doesn't mean he'll make a good choice for GM.

Old
12-31-2011, 01:40 PM
habitue*

Most overated candidates on all boards

GM: Macguire

Coach: Nolan

Could we get a "Eklund" clause for these two names ?

Old
12-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Most overated candidates on all boards

GM: Macguire

Coach: Nolan

Could we get a "Eklund" clause for these two names ?
How can you list McGuire as overated but not list Roy, Loiselle, Damphousse, Brisebois and company who also have 0 experience. I don't think he's overated and he has never been given a shot and I'm 100% sure he would do much better than the clown we have in place now

Old
12-31-2011, 02:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
How can you list McGuire as overated but not list Roy, Loiselle, Damphousse, Brisebois and company who also have 0 experience. I don't think he's overated and he has never been given a shot and I'm 100% sure he would do much better than the clown we have in place now
How coan you be so sure of that ? the guy never been a GM is his whole life and coached his last NHL game more than 10 years ago, at least. I don't want that "clown" in the habs organisation.

Old
12-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
He has bashed them with reason. His criticism of the mgmt team has never been that far off.

Why does he not show class when he is bashing the team. I find him to be overly polite when he is talking about any subject.

The man is paid to analyze and give his thoughts on hockey (a job we all do on this board for free). Are you perhaps jealous of him? I know I would love his job.

He grew up a Habs fan and just like the rest of us , he is sick and tired of what has happened to this once great franchise.

Other than being wrong about drafting Price ( all he said was we did not draft for need) , what other criticism of his has been wrong.

Gomez ? No
Huet ? No
taking Akost over Parise ? No.

I'm not jealous of him and I wouldn't and couldn't be like him.

He's just a bag full of mindless stupidity and if he ever came here and ran the show for a while I think you would agree with me in very short order.

It's not hard to criticize after the fact, the question is what would he do in the same circumstances that is the hard part. It's easy to say not to get Gomez but then what do you do? Do you keep the circus we had and watch as the wheels slowly come of the wagon?

Maybe he wouldn't of drafted AK, but that isn't a guarantee he drafts Parise, maybe he chooses Robert Nilsson instead.

Old
12-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
How coan you be so sure of that ? the guy never been a GM is his whole life and coached his last NHL game more than 10 years ago, at least. I don't want that "clown" in the habs organisation.
True about the coaching part but he is around teams and players every single day. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows more around the league then our GM

Old
12-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The talent pool to pick from is greatly decreased because of the language politics.

I say we trade for Toews, and make him captain, coach, GM, and president.

Old
12-31-2011, 05:27 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You have to put that into context. Bowman didn't come out saying that. He was ASKED what he thought of McG as a GM. What do you think he would answer, he's friends with McG (father-in-law apparently)? 'He sucks!'? Get real.

I would quit the Habs if the McG of hockey is GM here. It would be a repeat of the Houle era, with someone who just has a more outspoken personality.

The fact he hasn't been able to get an ASSISTANT Gm job in the NHL in the last decade should be quite enough to realize he's not ready to be GM, if he's ever ready. If he had such huge poitential, he would've already be on a team.

It's actually you who has it backwards. Question your own love for McG, as it stems from you following his circus and loving it. Doesn't mean he'll make a good choice for GM.

Just to see if you are for real, I say hire Pierre McGuire.

Old
12-31-2011, 05:33 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban Fan View Post
My list for GM...

1. Claude Loiselle
2. Julien Brisebois
3. Pierre Mcguire
BriseBois is way too close to Gainey.

Time for that era to be completely wiped clean and erased.

Look at the Lightning. Overall, a soft team in the mold of Montreal. Do we really need to keep going down that proven road where teams like that do not win championships?

Old
12-31-2011, 05:34 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
True, but I think everyone knew that was a terrible trade. The most critical McGuire's ever been of the Habs is when they drafted Price.
Price was off the grid when he was selected. It panned out, but in a game of chance anything can happen, I was highly critical of taking a goaltender in the top 5 as well, obviously it's worked, but a move I wasn't crazy about either, hindsight is wonderful though.

Old
12-31-2011, 05:38 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

More the reason to hire him. You were never a true fan if you would quit cheering for the habs based on the hiring of GM. You have nothing other than your own opinion that he wouldn't do a good job. Nothing, zilch, nadda, but come off as a know it all who writes him off without seeing him do anything, if it means getting rid of you, that alone is worth it

Old
12-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
True about the coaching part but he is around teams and players every single day. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows more around the league then our GM
Didn't Houle run in those same circles? That isn't a prerequisite for GM success.

Old
12-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Who knows if he has fresh ideas? He brought Bruno Gervais and Taylor Pyatt to Tampa for crying out loud.

The Bruins proved that the old school approach is sometime the best way to go.

I'd rather bring in a team of lions than some wet behind the ears administrator nerd.
lol, here's a small bio of Brisebois' twin, the builder of your Bruins:

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=38865

Telle me where's the difference in their CVs? It's a pure copy paste

Old
12-31-2011, 06:29 PM
shutehinside

I fully realize that this is and will be a point of contention and debate until a decision is made and then will continue thereafter. How does one weigh the desires of an entire province with a doing what should be done. In a perfect world, Montreal would be in a market like Toronto, Calgary, New York, Boston... where the only qualification in hiring a GM and coach is their resume. But alas, we don`t. Where we have in the past hired Francophone coaches as a primary qualifier and they have gone on to great success after being summarily dismissed by management, we are in a very different situation right now. Apeasing the masses is easy when you`v won 24 Stanley Cups and you can take chances with who you bring in. Unfortunately, we`re 19 years removed from our last Cup and time is wearing thin after several debacle in the past 2 decades. The status quo is no longer an option and if this city wants to win another Stanley Cup than they need to realize that some concessions need to be made.

What the Canadiens need is a proven GM more than anything else. As PG has proven, this GM need not speak to the media on a regular basis, just enough to give updates as to what;`s going on at the annual bilane and here and there. As the team is basically built around the GM`s decision, I will go out on a limb and say that they have the largest responsibility in building a winner. Yes, a coach can have a great effect, but the job is made much easier when he has the players to work with. For this reason I think the GM is where a compromise can be made. Instead of hiring a Francophone GM who can talk to the Quebec media, why not hire the absolute best possible GM available who has a track record for building a winner and can tweak or tear down our team and build the framework of a Championship team. I think a candidate like Jim Nill would be ideal. He`s been part of arguably the most successful franchise for the past 20 years and has learnt first hand how to build and replenish a perpetual Cup Contender.

Once he or a similar candidate is in place, I`d have no problem with him hiring a Francophone coach to be the face of the franchise. Whether that be Roy, Vigneault, Carbo, whomever. As long as it`s a somewhat competent candidate that can motivate his players and not be outcoached by their counterpart, we should be in good shape. As Tremblay showed with Pittsburgh, Vigneault and Julien, a coach can do well when he has the pieces in place. It`s the GM`s job to put those pieces on the board.

At the end of the day, I think that the best compromise for the Canadiens is building around a great GM whom can put a team on the ice that can compete and a coach who can get those players to play. if Jaques Perron can win a cup than why not another coach who has the players to win.

Old
12-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
lol, here's a small bio of Brisebois' twin, the builder of your Bruins:

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=38865

Telle me where's the difference in their CVs? It's a pure copy paste
Difference is, Chiarelli has CAM NEELY pushing him, storming in his office when things don't go like he wants.

Old
12-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
BriseBois is a real smart guy. Met him a few months ago, as I've said before. Soft-spoken, intelligent man. Will make a great GM someday.
Because being soft-spoken makes you a good hockey man? It just makes you a good office guy. You have to be a great ground guy when you're in hockey, you have to have gotten on the down and dirty to succeed in this sport.

I can't believe how people are so easily seduced by good little boys.

Old
12-31-2011, 09:19 PM
HABitual Fan

I have no problem with Brisebois as GM, provided he has a solid hockey evaluator working beside him as assistant GM. I would take this guy for the role or even consider him for GM.

Blair Mackasey - Director of Professional Scouting
Blair Mackasey (pronounced MACK-uh-see) is in his second season as Director of Professional Scouting for the Minnesota Wild after being named to the position on January 10, 2006. He reports to Assistant General Manager/Player Personnel, Tom Thompson and oversees all aspects of the club’s professional scouting.

Mackasey, 51 (12/13/55), joined the Wild from Hockey Canada, where he was named Head Scout in June of 2002 and was later named Director of Player Personnel in July of 2005. While with Hockey Canada, he was responsible for all player evaluation and player selections for Canada’s National Junior Team Development and Selection Camps as well as Canada’s Men’s Under-18 Program. Mackasey also assisted Wayne Gretzky and Canada’s management and coaching staff in player evaluations for Canada’s 2006 Men’s Olympic Hockey Team. During his four seasons with Hockey Canada, he won back-to-back World Junior gold medals (2005 and 2006) and two silver medals (2003 and 2004), overseeing player selection and operations of Canada’s National Junior Team at the IIHF World Junior Championship. Mackasey also won two gold medals with Canada’s National Under-18 Summer Team at the Junior World Cup (2005, 2004), a silver medal with Canada’s National Under-18 Team at the World Championship in April of 2005 and a gold medal in 2003.

Prior to joining Hockey Canada, he was a member of the Phoenix Coyotes’ scouting staff for six seasons (1996-2002). Mackasey spent three seasons as a Head Coach in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) with the Granby Bisons (1993-94) and the Drummondville Voltigeurs (1994-96). He also played minor league baseball in the Montreal Expos organization with the likes of Ellis Valentine and Gary Carter.

Mackasey and his wife, Debbie, have four children, Andrea, Blair Jr., Erin and Dave. The family resides in Beaconsfield, Quebec

Old
12-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Max Levine

I agree that a rookie candidate should be assisted by someone who's had experience in that role or who's presently working in the NHL. One name we could add to the list is Pierre Lacroix who's been having health problems during the past few years. He might be interested in leaving his job as Colorado's President to work with Roy for a few years while showing the ropes to Brisebois or Damphousse.

As for the coaching job, I'd be very surprised if Patrick Roy doesn't get it. I just hope he will surround himself with experienced assistants.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Protest the Hero

On second thought, let's make McGuire the GM.

Players would always play really well because they'd be afraid to get called into Mr. McGuire's office after hours to discuss their performance.

Old
01-01-2012, 06:12 AM
ZiggyC

Réjean Houle for GM. Patrick Roy for coach and have Mario Tremblay as an assistant. Would make for excellant TV.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Difference is, Chiarelli has CAM NEELY pushing him, storming in his office when things don't go like he wants.
I see you have an excuse for everything, my bad. I should know better, Neely is doing all the real work behind the scenes for the Bruins, not Chiarelli.

Closed Thread