HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Forsead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Having McGuire as Assistant GM defeats the purpose as it ignores his most valuable asset, namely his understanding if the media. If McGuire becomes GM, he will have a much better understanding when dealing with the media than Gauthier, which may be our biggest problem right now.

Look at Burke mess around and manipulate the TO media. Its impressive and certainly helps the team, because he makes what he said the story and helps deflect the spotlight from the team

Yeah they are doing so well since he is there...

Old
02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
[/B]

Yeah they are doing so well since he is there...
First of all, apart from the Kessel trade (which he has admitted was a mistake in hindsight) he has managed to replenish their prospect pool through signings and trades and while he has made some bad UFA signings (Komi, Armstrong) he has generally improved the team. At any rate, my point was that the local media spend as much time talking about what he says than the actual team. It helps deflect pressure from the team. I say this as someone who lives in the heart of Leafs Nation.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
First of all, apart from the Kessel trade (which he has admitted was a mistake in hindsight) he has managed to replenish their prospect pool through signings and trades and while he has made some bad UFA signings (Komi, Armstrong) he has generally improved the team. At any rate, my point was that the local media spend as much time talking about what he says than the actual team. It helps deflect pressure from the team. I say this as someone who lives in the heart of Leafs Nation.
exactly...

it amazes me how easily some people overlook the "theatrics" of public figures. Just b/c our recent GM's have been about as media saavy and personable as a doorknob (though at least Gainey did it "with class"), doesn't mean that any outspoken GM is by default a blowhard/idiot.

Burke, as much as he is a more extrovert type of person, purposefully "plays" the media game. While some might think it's just to feed his own ego, when you look at the effect of it, seems pretty clear that its well rehearsed... and not just for the objective of diverting attention away from his team, I think it also plays a role in negociating with other GM's...

burke is a lot smarter than people think, and I tend to think that Gauthier is a lot less intelligent than some of his staunchest defenders realize.

Old
02-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
It was a mistake due to where they finished in the standings. Yet, we are not talking about getting a punk for 2 1st rounders here. Kessel is doing a good job for them. Where the problem is for Burke is that he wasn't able to dress a good team AROUND Kessel so that those 1st rounders would have been much later. See, players for players, you could say that the Kaberle deal for Colborne and 1st and a conditional 2nd that turns out to be John-Michael Liles. So that trade in itself turns out to be great based on how poor and unuseful Kaberle was. Based on how great a prospect Colborne is, and they get another 1st rounder......but Boston won a cup and their 1st this year is just like another 2nd rounder.

Yet, I'm not entirely sold on Burke. A little soon to say that he turned that franchise around. Probably on his way too but he's just 4 points from not making the playoffs, again.

Old
02-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Beakermania*

Pierre McGuire during the Wings/Coyotes job said that if he got a GM job one of his top 3 choices for head coach would be Mike Milbury.

Old
02-07-2012, 06:51 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Pierre McGuire during the Wings/Coyotes job said that if he got a GM job one of his top 3 choices for head coach would be Mike Milbury.
Milbury would be great. He'd be tough on the kids.

Old
02-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Milbury has to be a better coach than GM.... Besides, it won't happen in Montreal. McGuire knows FULL well the Montreal criteria for head coach.

Old
02-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Milbury has to be a better coach than GM.... Besides, it won't happen in Montreal. McGuire knows FULL well the Montreal criteria for head coach.
I realize that, but if he's one of your top 3, the other two names scare me.

How out of touch with the modern NHL can you be?

His other two names are probably Michel Bergeron and Jean Perron.

Old
02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 300
Prez : Lacroix
Roy as GM / Coach. If not Timmins GM / Head Scout and Roy as coach. Bring in McGuire as a consultant, let him build his rep, the guy knows his hockey.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:34 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
I'm not sure if that was really recent, but last year, he said he would still make the trade "in a heartbeat".

I think Burke has been a decent GM, I think we plans on icing his "best team" in a year or two, if you look at all his moves, he is basically taking bad contract if a prospect is included, Lupul(bad contract at the time), but with Gardiner, took Lombardi's contract but with Franson. And I think the Leafs would be amazing in a few years with Seguin, Knight, and Hamilton instead of Kessel, but that doesn't matter.

But I disagree with him helping the team deflect pressure, he is constantly talking about trades, how his players are valuable. I remember last year when asked about Clarke Macarthur contract talks, he once actually talked about, how he needs to make sure Macarthur isn't just a one hit wonder. And recently Schenn, how do you think Schenn feels about his GM talking about he is in play.

And Burke recently filed a compliant vs the CBC, because Cherry was hard on Wilson, and also for the CBC being too hard on the Leafs in general.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
What about Gerard Gallant ? He has a winning team in St-Johns... Might be worth a look ?

Old
02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine Tasting View Post
What about Gerard Gallant ? He has a winning team in St-Johns... Might be worth a look ?
He hasn't been very successful in his stints in the NHL.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He hasn't been very successful in his stints in the NHL.
Any other options in the Q for Head Coach ?

Old
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
The leafs are doing better but their prospects are nothing to brag about. I have seen a wave of leaf fans wanting Schenn and Kadri gone. Not to mention everything is balanced on Reimer, if that guy stops standing on his head that team is done.

Burke makes good trades no doubt about it but in a strong conference that team will not make the playoffs.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Any other options in the Q for Head Coach ?
Veilleux's been really solid ever since he's been in the Q (he's the Cats coach), but that's the only place he's been. So I'd rather see him have a go at the Dogs before taking over here.

Groulx's the one that's probably the best option. He has a really strong track record in the Q and already has had a stint in the A.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I like Gallant alot as a potential coach.

Yeah, he didnt' win a lot in his NHL stint, but he was coaching Columbus, who have sucked under everyone, except for one miracle year that Hitchcock got them in the playoffs.

I'd take a look at Gallant considering he's had a ton of success now at the Junior level after leaving Columbus.

The elephant in the room though, does he speak french?

Old
02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Veilleux's been really solid ever since he's been in the Q (he's the Cats coach), but that's the only place he's been. So I'd rather see him have a go at the Dogs before taking over here.

Groulx's the one that's probably the best option. He has a really strong track record in the Q and already has had a stint in the A.
Thre is been some rumours about having Jacques Martin back as GM and Groulx hired as headcoach.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
I like Gallant alot as a potential coach.

Yeah, he didnt' win a lot in his NHL stint, but he was coaching Columbus, who have sucked under everyone, except for one miracle year that Hitchcock got them in the playoffs.

I'd take a look at Gallant considering he's had a ton of success now at the Junior level after leaving Columbus.

The elephant in the room though, does he speak french?
He can speak some. He is Acadian. With all the kids from Quebec playing for him, he probaly talk to them once in a while in French.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
He can speak some. He is Acadian. With all the kids from Quebec playing for him, he probaly talk to them once in a while in French.
Plus he coached Beaulieu... That is always good.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Thre is been some rumours about having Jacques Martin back as GM and Groulx hired as headcoach.
i hope your rumour mill is full of sh***... no offense

Old
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

What about Marc Bergevin for GM? He's assistant to Bowman Jr. in Chicago, was a scout for a while there during their rise, including some time as a pro scout, and was an assistant coach under Quenneville.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
What about Marc Bergevin for GM? He's assistant to Bowman Jr. in Chicago, was a scout for a while there during their rise, including some time as a pro scout, and was an assistant coach under Quenneville.
He is in my top 5 no question.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Tiger Svoboda

Pat Brisson

I am wondering if Pat Brisson could be a good GM. He knows the hockey world and is respected around the ligue. He seems to have the prestance for the job in MTL.

What do you think?

thx

Old
02-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Roke

He's not a guy I'm familiar with and his name hasn't come up in the thread (as far as I can tell), but has anyone mentioned Joe Will?

Assistant GM in San Jose, apparently involved in both the amateur and professional talent acquisition side, looks for value-for-money in player acquisitions.

The Edmonton Journal's hockey job did a profile on him and he intrigues me (though I assume he doesn't speak french): http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...odys-heard-of/

Old
02-07-2012, 05:58 PM
BLONG7

Jim Nill for GM and Marc Crawford for coach...

Closed Thread