HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2011, 11:31 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Which can be fixed through building a strong front office and Bringing in players through the draft.
The strong front office people are taking and they don't want to come here either. That's why we end up with retired habs or some french guy who isn't exactly the cream of the crop either.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
In that case, Julien BriseBois is your man. He's young, he knows the team already, and is an expert with the CBA.
How good is he with personnel evaluation?

We need a guy who understands the game on a way deeper level than goals-assists-points-plus/minus.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:34 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
How good is he with personnel evaluation?

We need a guy who understands the game on a way deeper level than goals-assists-points-plus/minus.
Brisebois is good with contracts...they say...

He was darn good when he was assisting Gainey in his big shopping spree 3 years ago !

Old
12-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
The strong front office people are taking and they don't want to come here either. That's why we end up with retired habs or some french guy who isn't exactly the cream of the crop either.
How could you possibly know that. The last time we had both
a) money to offer to a top GM and
b) an actual search for a new GM

We got Gainey, who was actually considered overly qualified at the time. While I agree on the player side, your statement on management is purely speculation.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:36 AM
habsrock76

We need A GM who's been successful in the new NHL and understands how to operate under a cap, recycling the same old names will only land us in the same predictament we are now.

Nill & Benning appear to be the top candidates in my mind, both have presided over the building of strong clubs and have won championships doing so. Although highly unlikely I personally would prefer Benning, he's had positive effects on mulitple teams Buffalo & Boston as opposed to Nill (only Detroit), and his draft record appears superior as well.

Montreal should use one of the only advantages they have and throw as much money as they can and pry one of these guys away from their present clubs.

If either Nill or Benning are hired then I would trust their judgment as to the best candidate for coach should be.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
GM -- Name is irrelevant.

A hockey executive who believes in traditional hockey that wins championships. Two top lines for scoring. A third line for shut down defense on the other team's top line. A fourth line with tough guys who will fight and create energy.

On D, at least two imposing DMen not afraid to use their bodies or their fists.

Coach -- Name is irrelevant.

A coach who believes in an up-tempo game. This coach would have to steal the playbook from the Red Wings and mold this team into a legitimate puck possession hockey club that is capable of making the short accurate tape to tape passes and be able to support the puck. The D would be activated as much as possible on offense---enabling us to go back to the days when our D were prolific scorers.

Our coach would employ a very aggressive forecheck and have the players attack the puck instead of passively waiting for the play to come to them. Again, just like the Detroit Red Wings.

Now that we know what we need, fill in the blanks with the men capable of doing that.

Edit.........Having looked at Jim Nill's background, I am all on board for Jim Nill as he would give us the physical and tough team we need. Roy as coach believes in offense first aggressive play.

Time to bring back the good old days of enjoyable and tough hockey in Montreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
We need A GM who's been successful in the new NHL and understands how to operate under a cap, recycling the same old names will only land us in the same predictament we are now.

Nill & Benning appear to be the top candidates in my mind, both have presided over the building of strong clubs and have won championships doing so. Although highly unlikely, of the two I personally would prefer Benning, he's had positive effects on mulitple teams Buffalo & Boston as opposed to Nill (only Detroit), and his draft record appears superior as well.

Montreal should use one of the only advantages they have and throw as much money as they can and pry one of these guys away from their present clubs.

If either Nill or Benning are hired then I would trust their judgment as to the best candidate for coach should be.
Well said both of you, agree 100%.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post

Nill & Benning appear to be the top candidates in my mind, both have presided over the building of strong clubs and have won championships doing so. Although highly unlikely I personally would prefer Benning, he's had positive effects on mulitple teams Buffalo & Boston as opposed to Nill (only Detroit), and his draft record appears superior as well.

Agree 100%. I'd add Fenton and Kekäläinen to the group of GMs I'd trust. Fenton is similar to Nill in that he's done a lot for Nashville and Kekäläinen has a strong track record in Ottawa and St. Louis.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:45 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Marc bergevin could be a candidate. He is currently the assistant GM of the Blackhawks, Montreal Born.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:51 PM
LePoche69

Julien Brisebois + Gerard Gallant

Old
12-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I want a GM that can scout talent first and foremost and I think Timmins has done a good job at that. I think we should promote from within and let him pick the coach.

Complete pass on Roy or McGuire.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I want a GM that can scout talent first and foremost and I think Timmins has done a good job at that. I think we should promote from within and let him pick the coach.

No thanks for timmins, we need someone from outside the organization. We need a fresh set of eyes on this team that knows a winning system. Montreal has been rotten for years in the way they decided to build a team and how their attitude is.

Start looking at strong organizations and poach some talent.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Phillyhabsfan

I would be alright with Jarmo Kekalainen. Another name that might be a little out there, but fits the language bill. Simon Nolet. head of quebec scouting for flyers. he is the one that found Gagne and Giroux and Coutourier although he was not much of a find.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyhabsfan View Post
I would be alright with Jarmo Kekalainen. Another name that might be a little out there, but fits the language bill. Simon Nolet. head of quebec scouting for flyers. he is the one that found Gagne and Giroux and Coutourier although he was not much of a find.
I like Nolet, but that's a massive jump from scout to GM. I'd love to have him, but not as a GM.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Phillyhabsfan

Put him in as asst GM or head of scouting underneath a Kekalainen. he is a good talent evaluator and he would probably soften the blow of not having a french GM

Old
12-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

the obvious pick would be Nill, however it seems unlikely he will ever leave Detroit. Paul Fenton would be another good option.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

GM is kind of tough, other than Nill who's been learned from Holland, it's tough for us to know much about them.
Pierre Lacroix would certainly be my pick if this was the pre-cap era, I'm not sure just how well he'd do in a cap world. I have my doubts if he'd leave Colorado as well.
Damphousse is of slight interest to me because I actually agree with much of what he says whenever he's on TV, but that really doesn't mean much. But it's at least a good start.

For the coach, there's no question that my #1 pick is Robinson.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:46 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Exactly. There's no cap on management.

If they were willing to spend $3,000,000 in Martin per year, than why not $4 or $5M on Babcock? Does anyone really think he'd turn down that much money to come back to Montreal. Does anyone think the French media would have a problem with Babcock being English. No way! The ones who do say anything would be chastised by their peers and are the crazy "reporters" that have no credibility to begin with.

Getting Babcock here is a kin to signing the Crosby of coaches. Instantly respected by all the players and having Nill as the GM only means their on the same page to begin with and can build a team that we've been trying to build for 5 years. Not to mention that UFA`s and players want to play for coaches like Babcock and would sign with us for that reason.

Red Wings give coach Mike Babcock a four-year extension

The Red Wings have locked up head coach Mike Babcock with a four-year extension that keeps him the highest-paid coach in hockey.

In the five years since he took over, the Wings have won one Stanley Cup and made it to two Finals. Babcock's deal keeps him on the same time line as general manager Ken Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill, all of whom now have contracts running through 2014-15.

"Mike has done a terrific job," senior vice president Jim Devellano told the Free Press. "Kenny did a good job in choosing Mike. It was Kenny's choice, and it was outstanding. Mike's record speaks for itself — a Cup and a very close miss. He's consistently had over 100-point seasons. It's well deserved.

"I am pleased that we have our key people done for a long term. They're a good group, they work well together, and you want to hang onto these people. It's a good day for the Red Wings."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...xtension_N.htm

Old
12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
southernhab for GM
habsterix for coach

I dont speak French.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Lshap

The job descriptions need to be revised:

1) GM

2) Coach

3) Francophone PR Executive

The person tasked with communicating in French should not HAVE to be the same person tasked with winning games.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:52 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Julien Brisebois + Gerard Gallant
Not a fan of Gallant. He almost dropped the ball in the Q playoffs last year, against a very inferior Gatineau team. In fact, Groulx's team was the biggest challenge his team faced, even though Gatineau shouldn't have made it to the show. But the coach is a master.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:54 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

Nope, tired of ex-Hens.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
habs_24x

GM: Damphousse
Coach: Roy

Old
12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
Marc bergevin could be a candidate. He is currently the assistant GM of the Blackhawks, Montreal Born.

Marc Bergevin.

I ran into him in Cabo San Lucas and we did a lot of drinking together and talking about Claude Lemieux.

Good times.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Phillyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
GM is kind of tough, other than Nill who's been learned from Holland, it's tough for us to know much about them.
Pierre Lacroix would certainly be my pick if this was the pre-cap era, I'm not sure just how well he'd do in a cap world. I have my doubts if he'd leave Colorado as well.
Damphousse is of slight interest to me because I actually agree with much of what he says whenever he's on TV, but that really doesn't mean much. But it's at least a good start.

For the coach, there's no question that my #1 pick is Robinson.
But would Robinson even want the job. he couldn't hack it in NJ as head coach.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
GM: Damphousse
Coach: Roy
Seriously? I quit

Closed Thread