HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Injury? Vanek? What the hell...

Old
12-22-2011, 10:38 PM
sk8haggard9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:40 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I liked McNnabb a lot tonight and thought that he and the Hoff made a great ES pairing. 5 hits, looked good on the PP, and loved that he stood in for Vanek against Dion Spotpicker.
I second this thought.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:48 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Thats awesome

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

My heart is on the disabled list.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:07 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
So he thinks Kaleta and Ellis are our top talents? They were out there with like 1:20 left... And Kaleta stayed til :15 seconds left.
Well he did that too but probably because his top line was gassed. On the whole, he overplays his favorites...... which is my point when he went with his 1st PP group instead of the 2nd (who were playing much better).

Maybe he was playing a hunch.....?

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:34 PM
BuzzKillington90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Im hoping he's been pulled for a trade...
This is probably the least likely situation.

Lack of decent left wingers + he's been one of the few producers

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Can anybody explain to me why Regehr consistently only gets 18-19 minutes per game? 4th-5th most of dmen. I don't get it.

Even looking at just ES time he's 5th for dmen.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Can anybody explain to me why Regehr consistently only gets 18-19 minutes per game? 4th-5th most of dmen. I don't get it.

Even looking at just ES time he's 5th for dmen.
He is getting older, and he has lost a step.

I think the coaching staff is preventing him from tiring out and being really exposed late in games.

I'd rather have Regehr playing at this level for 18/19 min a game than at a lesser level for 23/24......

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Wait, what the hell happened to Vanek??? Did it look serious???

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post

I think the coaching staff is preventing him from tiring out and being really exposed late in games.

I'd rather have Regehr playing at this level for 18/19 min a game than at a lesser level for 23/24......
That's the only thing I can figure. But man he's just been so good in our own end, it's hard seeing certain guys being put out there for 3-4 or more minutes more than him each game.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:52 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
G: That Ruff image.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:26 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Update on Vaneks injury, just traded for him in fantasy hockey an hour before the game! Ugh!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I ended up going, it was pretty fun.

Good:

- That's a loss I'll accept. Not getting any points against a team we'll be neck-and-neck with for a playoff spot sucks, but 42 shots on the road after losing Vanek in the 3rd, can't really argue.
- Miller. Obviously that Pittsburgh was as big a stinker as it gets, but he's looked like his old self lately. He was tremendous in the first. Also, was the Kadri goal tipped by a defenseman?
- Roysie. Even without the goal it was a good game.
- Regehr. He ****ed up on Kessel's goal but otherwise he really took him out of the game. Watching players try and dangle him through his legs is pretty hilarious.

Bad:

- Vanek hurt asdfjafdadfkljhdljhdflljhasdfasdghdsfghs
- Scalpers in Toronto/My stupidity. I live in Toronto, but go to school in St. Catharines, so I usually go to Sabres games because it's way closer and waaay cheaper. But one of my really good friends works in the store there so I figured I'd buy the cheapest ticket, go see the Sabres and her, ended up paying $125 to go to the STANDING section at the very top of the ACC. Again, my fault but that kinda sucked.
- Felt like there were a ton of really stupid passes through the middle. Miller had to bail them out a ton.
- If Ehrhoff could've handled the dump-in, and Regehr didn't fall, their first two goals didn't happen. Kind of annoying such simple mistakes cost us.
- I was at the Leafs-Sabres game last Friday, and that was one of the most intense, crazy atmospheres I've ever witnessed, and I kind of expected it to be similar here... not so much. I realize that a lot of the Leafs fans at the Buffalo game probably don't go to the ACC since it's so expensive, but we could use some more Sabres fans there.

Ugly:

- Kessel. He's lucky he's really good at hockey.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Van, looking at the replay of the PP goal, was laboring a bit. They may be calling it UBI (wrist or hand), but he's carrying that one leg off the ice a lot in that sequence on the five-on-three. Groin? Knee? Ack. Get well Tom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Well Vanek is day to day, hopefully he'll be good to go Monday after these three days off
From the daily updates we've had the past few days, Vanek has been skipping practice for maintenance reasons and was struggling with a lower body injury after the Pittsburgh game - I'm not sure if he aggravated it more tonight or if some new injury to the upper body actually happened. Maybe it's a back injury, caused by the fatigue of carrying the team on his for the past 30 games.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Brayden McNabb in for MAG and the 2nd powerplay unit was actually pretty good. Heh.
Definitely - kudos to you for calling out the strategy in the GDT earlier. If McNabb shows some prowess on the PP in addition to his hitting ability, he'll not only move past Weber on the depth chart but Gragnani as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
Ugly: Stat from WGR postgame.

We are only 3 points better this year at the Xmas break, than we were last year(where many of us were saying the Sabres looked like the worst team in the league)
Well, according to Darren Dregehr on NHL Live today, the Sabres are suffering from an identity crisis in the eyes of most NHL observers around the league. The feeling is that they thrive on the "us against the world" image but have been fighting high expectations of being a division winner and Cup contender after their offseason spending. If that is true, then their freefall - regardless of injuries - has set them up for having to repeat the 2nd half surge they had last year.

Quote:

Agreed - I think Ruff is pacing Regehr correctly for when it really counts: the playoffs. He's still using Regehr against the top lines and on the first PK unit so I don't see the need to exhaust him with 23-24 minutes.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Sabretip

One of the funnier post-game quotes from Pominville, even if it's more rhetoric in the face of another calamity:

Quote:
"The effort was there, the results weren't and if we keep putting efforts on like this and limit those little brain farts a little bit, we're going to get on a roll here"
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383382

Old
12-23-2011, 01:17 AM
joshjull

Quote:

I think you're spot on.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Sabretip

Some consolation from Ruff's post-game interview on WGR - Vanek's absence in the 3rd period was only a case of the same nagging injury (which he described on Monday as a lower body) that kept him out of practice bothering him to the point where he couldn't fight through it for the final 20 minutes. Ruff termed it as "day-to-day".....

Old
12-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

hey guys whats the update with vanek? and how bad is he, feeling bad for you guys man, i know we are rivals but never like to see a team hurt this bad.

12-23-2011, 02:33 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Mike Weber made me miss Gragnani tonight. Yeah, I said it.

Miller played great, and my man crush on McNabb grows by the hour. Kid is tough, patient, calm with the puck, and very well composed in our zone.

At this point, with all of the injuries, it's tough to be pissed or surprised by losses. I'm trying to take comfort in the fact that the effort was there, but there's still a major problem in my eyes:

We can't ****ing score.

Yes, it will be fantastic to get Myers back. But when Boyes, Ennis, Leino, and Brochen are all healthy, will we really, truly see more offense? Signs from earlier in the season lead one to think not. The problems are deeper than injuries, I'm afraid. I think this may be the first time in rethinking the notion of us having enough talent, when healthy, to contend legitimately.

Get into the playoffs and lean on your goalie and pray - right?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:15 AM
HiddenInLight

Ugh...loss of vanek isn't good. Maybe the bit of play with Pomminville will help Stafford out, make him give more effort for a little while.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:33 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
The Pokemon-ish-ness of it is amazing.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:51 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
The Leafs aren't great either - and saying they have a better record then us isn't saying very much at this point.
They are more talented than the Sabres in the scoring dept.
And yes, they are better than the Sabres. They've earned the points they have, just like our team has earned the spot they are in.

Toronto is better than Buffalo, you just need to own up to this fact.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Takeo

I like the comic strip. Except Pominvisible would never speak up like that.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I like the comic strip. Except Pominvisible would never speak up like that.
Ha, good call.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:17 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Didn't go out to watch the game last night, started drizzling, so the bike ride was out. Had radio only for game and post-game; used the time to wrap Christmas presents, so it was a "win" in my book.

Sounded like a great game to watch. Close throughout, Sabres dominating most of the 2nd.

Hamilton was disappointed with using Vanek on point on 5-on-3; felt he should have been down low per usual. Wonder if that assignment was related to injury?? Groin?

As sk8haggard9 posted, in the post-game show they noted BUF this year is only 3 points better than last-year's first-half stinkfest, having played 1 fewer game this year. Also noted they are closer to 8th place this year than last (when they eventually finished 7th).

Quite honestly, I don't see them going on the tear they did last year for 3 reasons:
1) The goaltending has been more like goatlending this season (with occasional, but too few, exceptions).
2) Drew Stafford is scoring fewer goals than Detroit's Drew Miller.
3) The injuries this season are too staggering. BUF would need to get everyone back at once, and have them click chemistry-wise, in a way they have not done so yet, in order for the team to go on a tear. Only getting a guy or two back each week for the next month or so is going to keep the slow-boat-to-a-non-playoff-finish going.

As for Regher with limited minutes - could also be the nagging injury & not wanting to worsen it.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote