HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Another Injury? Vanek? What the hell...

Old
12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

Hamilton was disappointed with using Vanek on point on 5-on-3; felt he should have been down low per usual. Wonder if that assignment was related to injury?? Groin?
That was the first time I've ever seen Vanek look uncomfortable in a puck-handling situation. He had some questionable looks throughout much of that 5-3. I didn't hate the assignment though. TV has handled the point well in limited showings in the past. I prefer him controlling the puck. He really hasn't deflected a puck or scored from in tight much this year.

I'd like to see Kassian do the dirty work on that unit. Put Vanek, if not on the point, on the half wall.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
That was the first time I've ever seen Vanek look uncomfortable in a puck-handling situation. He had some questionable looks throughout much of that 5-3. I didn't hate the assignment though. TV has handled the point well in limited showings in the past. I prefer him controlling the puck. He really hasn't deflected a puck or scored from in tight much this year.

I'd like to see Kassian do the dirty work on that unit. Put Vanek, if not on the point, on the half wall.
Vanek looked pretty bad handling the puck on the point. But I'd like to see them work with him on it... i'd like to see him get time away from the net, where he can let his shot rip.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:31 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Vanek looked pretty bad handling the puck on the point. But I'd like to see them work with him on it... i'd like to see him get time away from the net, where he can let his shot rip.
Absolutely. I think that's what he was told to do. He shot a ton, he just missed the net a bunch. Hell, one time he look a shot that (I'm fairly certain) went unblocked/deflected and into the corner. I don't know if he was thinking it would hit someone moving to the net but it was ugly.

He's too skilled with the puck, and too creative a passer, to limit his skills to the blue paint though for sure. I doubt Lindy sticks with it, especially when we're healthy.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

Or Gaustad. Goose has done it before on the second unit. He's obviously not anywhere near as good at tips and deflections, but he'd be capable of tying up a defender and getting his body in the way of the goalie. Let Vanek/Ehrhoff/Leopold rip them with Goose sitting in front.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:38 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Or Gaustad. Goose has done it before on the second unit. He's obviously not anywhere near as good at tips and deflections, but he'd be capable of tying up a defender and getting his body in the way of the goalie. Let Vanek/Ehrhoff/Leopold rip them with Goose sitting in front.
Yeah, Goose has been there too. I also fear for Vanek's life when 'Hoff rips his erratic shot from the point when Vanek is in front.

Goose hasn't been there in a long while though (except for maybe one shift yesterday if I recall correctly). I wonder if he'd settle right back in.

Add to the good: Whitmore finishing his checks with authority yesterday. I really like that kid. I feel that he and Tropp would give our bottom six a nice little facelift.

Old
12-23-2011, 09:01 AM
number72

I know...let's get rid of Vanek like Connolly. Injuries happen all the time.
It is just crazy what fans make of players who get hurt.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:10 AM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

A close friend, a Leaf season ticket holder for 40 years sent me an email after the game saying he was surprised by the intensity both clubs displayed. He thought the Sabres played tough and won most of the battles on the boards and in front of the net. He thought Miller was great in the first period but was outplayed by Reimer in the last two periods. He felt we got a lot from the callups. From my vantage point watching it on TV I agree. We did not get much out of Vanek on the point though. If he had a lower body injury he should not be there--he has coughed up the puck in that position before and does not have the quickness to recover. Full marks to the Sabres for work ethic and grit last night.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:24 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Brilliant.

Even though it's a given that Pominville wouldn't say anything in the situation.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:35 AM
PanicItsVanek26

Quote:
Anyone but Stafford. Stafford wasn't doing a good job at screening Reimer. He belongs on the PP, but not in front of the net.

Last Night all the D men were hitting the net on their shots for a change.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Vanek has skipped the team's last two practices due to an undisclosed upper-body injury and stayed in the locker room for the third period of the 3-2 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

For now at least, coach Lindy Ruff said he thinks Vanek's status will be day to day.

"It's the same thing he's been nursing. He couldn't go," Ruff said. "He's missed two practices. We didn't have a lot of options. He tried to get through it and wasn't able to."

"He gave a valiant effort trying to come out and play hard," said center Derek Roy. "Nobody knows that you're hurt but you're playing hurt. He just didn't have it tonight. He was a little bit too sore."

Vanek, who was not in the locker room after the game, took a hard hit near the knee last Friday when the Leafs were in First Niagara Center but it turns out that wasn't the problem. Vanek said Thursday morning the injury actually took place Saurday in Pittsburgh. How long will he go without practicing?

"I really don't know," Vanek said following the morning skate. "I'm just hoping to use these three days [before Monday's game against Washington] to rest and get ready again for the second half."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle683664.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
A close friend, a Leaf season ticket holder for 40 years sent me an email after the game saying he was surprised by the intensity both clubs displayed. He thought the Sabres played tough and won most of the battles on the boards and in front of the net. He thought Miller was great in the first period but was outplayed by Reimer in the last two periods. He felt we got a lot from the callups. From my vantage point watching it on TV I agree. We did not get much out of Vanek on the point though. If he had a lower body injury he should not be there--he has coughed up the puck in that position before and does not have the quickness to recover. Full marks to the Sabres for work ethic and grit last night.
But I could see on a 5-on-3 you'd take that chance. Granted, it went to 5-on-4 before they scored.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
It worked well in one of the Toronto games last season, and it's a significant upgrade to the Grags-Ehrhoff combination from earlier in the year. I'm chalking up a lot of Vanek's mistakes last night to the injury, he was noticeably off in a way that he hasn't been for a while.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

The next two weeks are going to tell us alot about this team. 7 games (4 home and 3 away), 5 of which are against teams not in the playoffs currently: Washington x2, Edmonton, Carolina, and Winnipeg. The other two are against the likes of NJ and Ottawa. Hopefully they can come out of that stretch with a winning record.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote