HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/23 Washington Capitals at Your New Jersey Devils

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2011, 12:48 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think we deserve an answer on why the 3rd periods are so horrible, and why we collapse, and what will be done about it. Don't you agree?

It happens too much. Even when we win it happens. TB came dangerously close to tying both games we played against them with 3 goal leads. We blew a 3 goal lead to Florida, and lost 4-3. We keep the other teams in our zone too much in the 3rd. What are they gonna do about it? The best 3rd periods we've played were when we were either down, or the games against Dallas, and Montreal.

Even games we still wound up losing like in Winnipeg, and Minnesota we played a decent 3rd period. If we gave up a shorthanded goal tonight forget about it we would have lost.

Look at it like this. This blown lead was the worst. We let Florida come back, and beat us in 2 periods. We let the Caps come back, and tie it in 1.
In this case, I agree with you.

But I'd rather they find a solution than worry about why.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:51 AM
JerseySideOfTheRiver
Geaux Devils

I thought we played well considering we didnt have 3 of our best d-men. we created a lot of chances that w could have buried to extend the lead. it sucks we blew the lead but at least we got the 2 points this time

Old
12-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Mgd31

Quote:
I hate bringing up Jacques Lemaire, but thanks to your avatar I need to say this. Someone suggested not long ago I forget who it was, but when we were on the 4 game losing streak to bring Jacques in for a practice since he is still a special assignment coach. I hate thinking Lemaire is the answer, because he isn't, but this is one criticism I have of Deboer that Jacques definitely wouldn't stand for. If this had been happening with him things would have been fixed REAL fast. After that blown lead to Florida which was preceded by bad 3rd periods before that it would have been fixed.

Jacques, and Deboer are different coaches. Deboer says he don't like yelling, and over practicing the team. When we started out HORRIBLE in 95 Jacques put that team on the ice EVERY day with mandatory practices, and that team won the Stanley Cup, and dominated playoff series's to teams who they didn't even beat in the regular season

We don't need Jacques back, but a good practice can't hurt. I don't even know what a Special Assignment Coach does anyway. In his press conference they asked him what he was gonna do this season being retired, and he answered ''Watch the games''. He was also a Special Assignment Coach after he stepped down in 98 the first time between his time with us, and joining Minnesota in 2000.
I'd honestly bring him in just to mitigate some of these defensive breakdowns

Some of these lapses are absolutely pitiful. People always questioned his coaching ideologies, but Lemaire was always good as a *teacher* of the game. He could be useful in improving the defensive zone play. But that's not going to happen.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring Trap View Post
In this case, I agree with you.

But I'd rather they find a solution than worry about why.
What is the solution though? I know it's not for US to find out since we're not paid to coach the team.

It can't be that the Devils players are so out of shape, and worn out by the 3rd.

It's like the whole team pretty much. It's easy to be content with the a 3-0 lead, and be able to slack, and fall back on that. If it happens once it's cool, but this was the second time it came back for them to blow the lead. Like the 5th or 6th on their heels 3rd too. It's like they can't clear the zone.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I'd honestly bring him in just to mitigate some of these defensive breakdowns

Some of these lapses are absolutely pitiful. People always questioned his coaching ideologies, but Lemaire was always good as a *teacher* of the game. He could be useful in improving the defensive zone play. But that's not going to happen.
It's like what does a Special Assignment Coach do? What other of these Coaches do we have? I never understood it. Lemaire is actually the only one I know of both in the late 90s, and since his first retirement in 10. I figured it was someone to give advice, and feedback, and be there in cases without actually being present in coaching the team.

Wasn't JMAC a Special Assignment Coach too like after he was fired?

Old
12-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Mgd31

Quote:
It's like what does a Special Assignment Coach do? What other of these Coaches do we have? I never understood it. Lemaire is actually the only one I know of both in the late 90s, and since his first retirement in 10. I figured it was someone to give advice, and feedback, and be there in cases without actually being present in coaching the team.

Wasn't JMAC a Special Assignment Coach too like after he was fired?
Honestly man, I have no idea. I actually want to say that do absolutely nothing .

In terms of the 3rd period breakdowns, we have to adjust our playing style perhaps? Not to the point of playing so conservative, that the other team merely takes it to us over and over again. But maybe a less aggressive one, where we don't get burned so easily.

It honestly starts a lot with the play in the defensive zone. Even when fully healthy, its a real mess at times.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:56 AM
kiwidevil

Quote:
What is the solution though? I know it's not for US to find out since we're not paid to coach the team.

It can't be that the Devils players are so out of shape, and worn out by the 3rd.

It's like the whole team pretty much. It's easy to be content with the a 3-0 lead, and be able to slack, and fall back on that. If it happens once it's cool, but this was the second time it came back for them to blow the lead. Like the 5th or 6th on their heels 3rd too. It's like they can't clear the zone.
Because we don't really have the horses to be an elite team yet.
When teams are behind, they through more caution to the wind and everyone attacks. Therefore it is harder to defend.

We all know our defense is this teams weakness, so when other teams pour it on they are playing against our weak point.

Put that with a mediocre defense with one missing 3 top 3 Dmen, and there you have it.

It is always the same old story with these boards.
Start of the season: "hopefully we can squeak into the playoffs with a building team and young guys in important positions, especially on D. We need to be patient"

What is happening is about exactly what most predicted/where fine for in the offseason.

Old
12-24-2011, 02:06 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

And that`s all that matters. Good night and happy Cristmas Eve morning to you all.
Kermit in the background gets me every time

Closed Thread