HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Gm#34: Kings vs. Ducks, 12/22/11, Post Game WIN thoughts & tidbits

Old
12-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Yet the team only scored two goals. That's not good enough if you want to go anywhere in the playoffs or even make the playoffs.

I wonder what people would be saying if the Kings had lost the shoot out?
I agree the Kings will go nowhere as long as they consider the ceiling two goals.

But as I wrote earlier, Hiller was having an awesome game. It took a great redirect from Richards and a screened shot from Brown just to get those two goals past the guy...he was literally standing on his head from that Kopitar rebound.

Thankfully, he came back to being the Hiller we all know and love in the shootout.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:47 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I honestly think you have to go as far as to say Stoll is the best SO shooter in the NHL
I do.

Quote:
someone did research into it a couple of seasons ago, that if a player shoots from the hash marks like that, it is impossible for the goalie to react in time, so if Stolls shot is accurate, the only way it can be stopped is if the goalie tries to predict where he is going to shoot and moves just before he shoots. Either that or come right out and hope he doesnt deke
Yet the guy can't hit the broadside of a barn on the powerplay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
nice win, but controlling the game and scoring 2 goals is getting old.
It is. This was the 13th straight game without three or more goals (shootout goals don't count in totals). That's a franchise record, the old record was nine under the brief John Torchetti-era. I don't know if it's an NHL record, but it's certainly got to be getting up there, at least in terms of a modern day record since the forward pass was allowed. Chances, more shoots, controlling of the play, etc. can only go so far. We need to start scoring more goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
So everyone's happy about the win and all that, but all I could think watching this game was that they're still the same team. They still didn't go hard enough to the net, they still play offense from the perimeter, and they still need to be basically perfect defensively to win the game.
It's one game. Sutter won't change 20 men's instinctive play in a few days. Btw, Brown's was nice, they drove the centre of the ice and Brown could have come hard to the net but elected to go for the quick shot, which obviously was right decision.

Quote:
Like it or not this team misses Smyth.
We miss Smyth for his net presence, but not his cap hit or on the top two lines. Everyone on this board said he'd go into a funk when he was hot for the Oilers early on, and they were right. Finally scored a goal last night after 11 games without and has four points in his last 12 games.

Minus the cap hit, I'd want Smyth for his willingness to go to the dirty areas and stand in front of the net. We need that. But he'd be mostly a PP guy and other than that on the 3rd line. We are missing something, I agree, but not as much as perhaps you are thinking/implying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Foxy mentioned that he was trying to tell Bernier that he'll be starting tomorrow against the sharx which makes sense.
You'd think he could find a better way/time to do it than that. Tell him on the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapots View Post
Richardson at top line well deserved
?

No it's not. Richardson has done jack all this season. Him and Lewis played so bad that TM scratched them from games, and TM scratches no one. He has one point (a goal) in the last 24 games. Westgarth has done more. And Richardson has played 13+ minutes in 16 of the 25 games he's played, so it's not like he's riding the pine all game.

Him and Lewis have been the biggest dissapointments on this team outside of maybe Penner, and even Penner is showing something lately.

Richardson should be traded or waived IMO.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Voynov is making Johnson obsolete. Voynov is more physical, a better passer, an equal skater, he's got a harder more accurate shot, he's faster and smarter than Johnson. If I was Lombardi I'd seriously think about moving Johnson for a scoring winger.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I agree the Kings will go nowhere as long as they consider the ceiling two goals.

But as I wrote earlier, Hiller was having an awesome game. It took a great redirect from Richards and a screened shot from Brown just to get those two goals past the guy...he was literally standing on his head from that Kopitar rebound.

Thankfully, he came back to being the Hiller we all know and love in the shootout.
I just checked to see the last time the Kings scored more than 2 goals. It was Nov. 22nd against St. Louis when they scored 3.

Hopefully Sutter can bring some goal-scoring mojo, and soon.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:38 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I do.

Yet the guy can't hit the broadside of a barn on the powerplay?

It is. This was the 13th straight game without three or more goals (shootout goals don't count in totals). That's a franchise record, the old record was nine under the brief John Torchetti-era. I don't know if it's an NHL record, but it's certainly got to be getting up there, at least in terms of a modern day record since the forward pass was allowed. Chances, more shoots, controlling of the play, etc. can only go so far. We need to start scoring more goals.

It's one game. Sutter won't change 20 men's instinctive play in a few days. Btw, Brown's was nice, they drove the centre of the ice and Brown could have come hard to the net but elected to go for the quick shot, which obviously was right decision.

We miss Smyth for his net presence, but not his cap hit or on the top two lines. Everyone on this board said he'd go into a funk when he was hot for the Oilers early on, and they were right. Finally scored a goal last night after 11 games without and has four points in his last 12 games.

Minus the cap hit, I'd want Smyth for his willingness to go to the dirty areas and stand in front of the net. We need that. But he'd be mostly a PP guy and other than that on the 3rd line. We are missing something, I agree, but not as much as perhaps you are thinking/implying.

You'd think he could find a better way/time to do it than that. Tell him on the plane.

?

No it's not. Richardson has done jack all this season. Him and Lewis played so bad that TM scratched them from games, and TM scratches no one. He has one point (a goal) in the last 24 games. Westgarth has done more. And Richardson has played 13+ minutes in 16 of the 25 games he's played, so it's not like he's riding the pine all game.

Him and Lewis have been the biggest dissapointments on this team outside of maybe Penner, and even Penner is showing something lately.

No TM didnt scratch the guys who needed it, he scratched the guys who werent impact players because apparently its easier to scratch those guys than the guys who deserved to be scratched.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I feel like I watched a different game than a lot of you. I didn't expect to see a night and day difference with only 2 practice days with Sutter, but the Kings were definitely a different team out there against the Ducks. Sure, they only scored 2 goals again, but it will take a couple of weeks for the team to adjust away from Murrays "dot-to-board" game. Many more shots in the scoring zone last night and a lot of them were off forced turnovers.

They carried the play into the zone much more frequently, they turned over pucks in the offensive zone with a tenacious fore-check. It will take some time for this to become instinctual for them, they still hesitate in the offensive zone and this costs them some great chances.

Watching a coach behind the bench that interacts with this players and coaches during games is awesome to see.

Tonight is a good test for the Kings, Niemi has been one to let in a few soft goals. If the Kings keep going strong on the fore-check, they will get some great chances tonight against the Sharks. This is a game where the Kings can’t give away the bonus point, they need to win in regulation to help close the gap.

I was happy with the effort against the Ducks and felt that Lewis and Richardson added some much needed speed to the Kings top 9.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Defgarden

One thing I noticed was that Doughty seemed like he was allowed to take it deep when he wanted to. He rarely did that early this season, and really for a lot of last season. I don't know what sutter told him, but it was probably along the lines of "You're an offensive Dman, act like one."

Anyone else see this or am I crazy?

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:59 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

The biggest problem with TM's coaching style is that hockey is more than an intellectual exercise, it is a game that must be played with heart and enthusiasm as well as strategy. TM might be a very good student of the game but as time has proven he wasn't capable of thinking on his feet and coaching on the fly.

He is unemployed as a result. DL is wrong when he says "the team got the coach fired", results got the coach fired and only the coach is responsible for that. TM's system and the way that he employed it was effective for awhile and then lost it's ability to move us forward.

The players did their part but after awhile you reach a place where you have learned what you can from your coach and expect him (them) to be accountable for what is happening too. You go out and bleed for your team and then watch your coach keep repeating the same ineffective diatribe over and over and you start to tune him out.

At least a passionate coach will be in the fight with you.

What I am looking for over the next 10 games or so is for us to play with the confidence that we entered the season with. I saw a little bit of that last night and expect more and more each week. We are going to be a battling team who has to go out and fight for their points every night and then it who we are.

If things go right you will see our gaps shrink. That is a sure sign of a team playing with confidence, another is when you see guys finish their checks. That requires you to have faith in your team mates to cover you for the time it takes to make the hit and then get back in the play and when you know you can count on your team mates to get your back is a huge step forward.

Those are the two little things that I am looking for from us over the next little bit. I hope to see us win more and score more as well as the end of Kompon as our PP coach but those are all hopefully the results of our confidence coming back and growing.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

?

I don't disagree with your point about wether he deserves a first line shot, but I remember either last season or the season before, Richardson didnt score a point for basically the first half of the entire season before turning it around and becoming a much better player.

I don't think anything believes he's really first line talent, but he can be a pretty servicable player. If left on the first line, he'll definitely get his points, and who knows, maybe his speed will open things up for Kopi and Brown a bit. Seemed like it did a little bit last night.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Voynov is making Johnson obsolete. Voynov is more physical, a better passer, an equal skater, he's got a harder more accurate shot, he's faster and smarter than Johnson. If I was Lombardi I'd seriously think about moving Johnson for a scoring winger.
its unfortunate for Jack, but he is the odd man out. He has the most value of all expandable assets (a package of Bernier + JJ brings back a very nice return) and the Kings wont suffer much of a hit bringing Voynov in. At the moment Voynov is slightly worse on both sides of the puck, but its only slight and he should progress to be at least equal to JJ, Voynov is also cheaper and gets to play his natural side on the 2nd line as opposed to JJ

A line up of
Mitchell-Doughty
Scuderi-Voynov
Martinez-Greene is only slightly worse than what we have now and we would have a much improved top 6

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I feel like I watched a different game than a lot of you. I didn't expect to see a night and day difference with only 2 practice days with Sutter, but the Kings were definitely a different team out there against the Ducks. Sure, they only scored 2 goals again, but it will take a couple of weeks for the team to adjust away from Murrays "dot-to-board" game. Many more shots in the scoring zone last night and a lot of them were off forced turnovers.

They carried the play into the zone much more frequently, they turned over pucks in the offensive zone with a tenacious fore-check. It will take some time for this to become instinctual for them, they still hesitate in the offensive zone and this costs them some great chances.

Watching a coach behind the bench that interacts with this players and coaches during games is awesome to see.

Tonight is a good test for the Kings, Niemi has been one to let in a few soft goals. If the Kings keep going strong on the fore-check, they will get some great chances tonight against the Sharks. This is a game where the Kings canít give away the bonus point, they need to win in regulation to help close the gap.

I was happy with the effort against the Ducks and felt that Lewis and Richardson added some much needed speed to the Kings top 9.
This is pretty much verbatim what I would have written about the game. Amazing what you see when you're not focused on coaching. ;-)

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I don't know if it was mentioned yet as I haven't read the thread...

I absolutely LOVE how our system didn't change when we got the lead in the 3rd. The forecheck remained strong and players continued to dump the puck and play aggressive with the lead, instead of just dumping it in and sitting back in the trap.

I also noticed that the weakside dman moved forward on our breakouts, instead of passing it back and forth behind the net and letting the forecheck come get us.

2 forwards came back to assist the single dman on our breakouts, while the weakside guy went out to the blueline to provide an outlet in case there was trouble. Matt Greene did very well in this regard. You want your puckhandlers handling the puck and I thought there was a noticeable improvement in the breakouts.

If we could make consistent passes that aren't behind players or in the skates we'll be really strong.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Not since the Toronto game!
He didn't even play like that in Toronto. That shift in overtime where he fetched the puck and pretty much skated around the entire ice surface like a madman was a DB play I'd love to see more of.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
One thing I noticed was that Doughty seemed like he was allowed to take it deep when he wanted to. He rarely did that early this season, and really for a lot of last season. I don't know what sutter told him, but it was probably along the lines of "You're an offensive Dman, act like one."

Anyone else see this or am I crazy?
No you are not crazy, I saw it too and he took off at the blue line, as a matter of fact, at least a couple of times.

It was very refreshing.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
DaAnimal

i love how this board is so divided on JJ. Its funny how some people throw him under the bus. If you watched last nights game, it really wasn't his fault. Greene didn't box out his man.

JJ has been very consistent this season. Without his 3 game winning goals, this team could be under 500.

He has a good contract and I agree, he still makes idiotic decisions but every year he is showing improvements. His +/-'s are sometimes irrelevant.

I personally think he has not yet found his partner.

On the side note, I felt this team was A LOT faster. I agree with some of you that richardson and lewis have been playing TERRIBLE. But tonight it showed that they can bring speed to the top 6. This also solidifies our 3rd Line. I thought our 3rd line did really well. Heck even penner made a few decent passes, but overall, he needs to pickup his game

I really wish they would get rid of stoll in the PP :X. I like stoll but he's been ineffective this year on the PP.

Its good to have MR back in the lineup. You could tell he brings confidence to this team. First time I saw him high fiving everyone before the start of the game. That shows leadership and it shows that he wants to win and wants to be successful in this organization. His attitude is exactly what you want from a leader and I hope our leaders can learn from him.

I agree Brown had a good game and yes I still believe the C should be given to someone else. His forechecking is great and Penner should learn from that.

As always hats off to Mitchell and Scuds. These two guys never get enough credit.

As for DD, i'll give him some credit. He had a decent game. There were a lot of times where I saw DD doing too much (taking the puck down deep) but I realized we were playing against one of the worst defensive team in the league lol.

But lets not get carried away, we barely inched away with a W against one of the worst teams in the NHL. Tonight is the true test.

Last edited by DaAnimal: 12-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.
DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:45 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The best play of the game:Sutter grabbing Penner's shoulders before the game talking him up. Finally, some emotion, win or lose show me it means something.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
i love how this board is so divided on JJ. Its funny how some people throw him under the bus. If you watched last nights game, it really wasn't his fault. Greene didn't box out his man.
the 2nd goal was all his fault, he had a chance to clear the puck and instead turned back into the boards and lost possession, then he got outbattled by Perry infront of the net

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
The Butcher
Gutless

Hey coach, what are you thinking about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20111222_221548.jpg‎ (141.7 KB, 15 views)

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Tonight is a good test for the Kings, Niemi has been one to let in a few soft goals. If the Kings keep going strong on the fore-check, they will get some great chances tonight against the Sharks. This is a game where the Kings canít give away the bonus point, they need to win in regulation to help close the gap.

This, and I saw something last night I haven't seen from a Kings team in years--attacking in transition instead of cycling back into their own zone to set up a breakout every time! We have players that can improvise, so it's time to take advantage once in a while.

It was very nice to see emotion, grit, and speed. And our defensemen seem to have the leash released a bit--Doughty was in deep several times, and man, did Voynov ever look confident on the attack.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:34 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
I wonder what people would be saying if the Kings had lost the shoot out?
Why bother? Fact is they won it. Criticize all you want that nothing's changed but let's stick to the facts, shall we?

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:48 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Its good to have MR back in the lineup. You could tell he brings confidence to this team. First time I saw him high fiving everyone before the start of the game. That shows leadership and it shows that he wants to win and wants to be successful in this organization. His attitude is exactly what you want from a leader and I hope our leaders can learn from him.
Maybe it was discussed earlier in the thread, and not sure if was shown on TV, but on the video screen on the scoreboard, as the Kings were coming out of the locker room to start each period, Richards was standing there high fiving every player as each headed up the tunnel. He was the final player out every time.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKingFan View Post
Why bother? Fact is they won it. Criticize all you want that nothing's changed but let's stick to the facts, shall we?
Somebody needs a hug.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:20 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
If Hiller wasnt standing on his head all night, it wouldnt have been such a struggle. Kings need more firepower up front. A coaching change isnt going to fix that.
Oxymoron???

If a goaltender is standing on his head enough to steal the game, then you obviously have enough fire power up front...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
the 2nd goal was all his fault, he had a chance to clear the puck and instead turned back into the boards and lost possession, then he got outbattled by Perry infront of the net
So Lewis turning his back to the pinching D and coughing up the puck, that's on Johnson??

Really?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Oxymoron???

If a goaltender is standing on his head enough to steal the game, then you obviously have enough fire power up front...
Kings are 30th in G/G.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote