HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Gillis Appreciation Thread

Old
12-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
I was just reflecting when Gillis arrived on the scene and there was a perceived lack of strength down the middle which resulted in Gillis pursuing Mats Sundin and finally signing him.

Now look at the centre ice position with two elite centres in Henrik and Kesler and Malhotra, Lapierre, Hodgson as well as Ebbett, Higgins and Booth who have also played some centre in the past.

In the AHL there is Schroeder and even Reinprecht who has 669 NHL games under his belt.

Quite a turnaround.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 04:50 PM
fancouver

Here's the thing. It's not based on individual success, like Sedins, Kesler, Luongo, etc. Yeah, Nonis traded for Luongo and Burke drafted Sedins and Kesler, but it's about the overall team that's what makes or breaks a GM. It's how the GM manages the team altogether, through CAP, CULTURE, SCOUTING, etc.

How Gillis rounded out the roster to make it from a non-playoff team to a Stanley Cup finalist in less than 3 years is pretty impressive.

So really, it doesn't matter if Burke drafted Sedins, because he couldn't put the puzzle together, neither could Nonis.

Seriously, where is Fabian Brunnstrom now anyways?

fancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
Here's the thing. It's not based on individual success, like Sedins, Kesler, Luongo, etc. Yeah, Nonis traded for Luongo and Burke drafted Sedins and Kesler, but it's about the overall team that's what makes or breaks a GM. It's how the GM manages the team altogether, through CAP, CULTURE, SCOUTING, etc.

How Gillis rounded out the roster to make it from a non-playoff team to a Stanley Cup finalist in less than 3 years is pretty impressive.

So really, it doesn't matter if Burke drafted Sedins, because he couldn't put the puzzle together, neither could Nonis.

Seriously, where is Fabian Brunnstrom now anyways?
Filler on Detroit.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Eesh

Really have to give Gillis credit... Takes balls of steel to pull the trigger on some of the moves hes made. One of the best GMs in the league

Eesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Chubros

Mostly lost in the Hodgson drama is that MG essentially decided to stand pat on the defensive corp at the deadline. Sulzer for MAG is not likely a significant move, but we'll see where MAG slots into the depth chart after AV gives him a run.

With the team in the position it's in, the available cap space, and the fact that a blue chip asset was moved out, I find it highly questionable that MG did not acquire a player that could slot into the top 4 on D in the event of an injury.

If the team is ousted because of defensive inadequacy this year, then the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of GMMG.

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
Mostly lost in the Hodgson drama is that MG essentially decided to stand pat on the defensive corp at the deadline. Sulzer for MAG is not likely a significant move, but we'll see where MAG slots into the depth chart after AV gives him a run.

With the team in the position it's in, the available cap space, and the fact that a blue chip asset was moved out, I find it highly questionable that MG did not acquire a player that could slot into the top 4 on D in the event of an injury.

If the team is ousted because of defensive inadequacy this year, then the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of GMMG.
Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Salo
Rome Ballard
Gragnani Tanev
Alberts

The Canucks have 9 guys that can play. That's good depth. How many teams have a bottom pairing dman better than Keith Ballard?

Gillis insulated his defense by moving his worst defensive forward and replaced him with an elite defensive player. Changing the makeup of the team will help the current defense group excel. If there wasn't a good fit at a decent price on defense out there than you look to improve youself up front.

The Bruins won the cup with Ference, McQuaid, Boychuk and Kaberle in their top 6. That is not a a strong group 3 through 6. What they did have is ridiculous depth and quality up front and excellent goaltending - the Canucks possess those traits as well.

Every team in the league will be in for a world of hurt if their top dmen go down to injury come playoff time. We'll be no different.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:59 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post

GM MG did adress team defence by moving Hodgson and adding Pahlsson and, to a lesser extent, Kassian. Pahlsson especially makes the 3rd line much more defensively responsible.

Old
03-03-2012, 06:08 PM
monster_bertuzzi

I will have to wait until mid June to see if MG made the right moves for this year after the huge disapointment last year. Lets see:

Out:
Ehrhoff
Torres
Samuelsson
Hodgson
Tambellini

In:
Booth
Kassian
Pahlsson
Gragnani

Sorry, but it's not a slam-dunk we're a better team than last year like some of you think it is.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I will have to wait until mid June to see if MG made the right moves for this year after the huge disapointment last year. Lets see:

Out:
Ehrhoff
Torres
Samuelsson
Hodgson
Tambellini

In:
Booth
Kassian
Pahlsson
Gragnani

Sorry, but it's not a slam-dunk we're a better team than last year like some of you think it is.
It doesn't really work out like that. Hodgson last year was a non factor, as was Tambo and theres no point of adding them as losses.

Our top line looks weaker this year than last year, same players but they arent at the same level.

Our second line looks to be better, as long as Higgins is slotted on the wing.

The big difference to me is the 3rd and 4th lines. Our 3rd line is improved from last season, as I think Pahlsson> Lapierre, Hansen is improved from last season, Raymond now moves down from the 2nd line ( if AV changes the line ). The 4th line is night and day, with Lapierre , Malholtra, Kassian, Bitz, Weise all as options on that line.

We have however taken a clear hit on defence with the loss of Ehrhoff. As others have mentioned though, Pahlsson might be able to compensate for a bit of that.

What I see overall from our team, is we improved team speed ( 2nd, 3rd, and 4th can all fly), improved in the strength department , and sacrificed skill ( mainly in loss of Ehrhoff ). This years team will be able to grind games out better, but it seems as if our offence has dried up abit. If the top 2 lines pick it up we look to be in good shape.

Lundface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Jyrki21
I want tangibles!

At what point do we have to worry about Gilman accepting a GM post somewhere? You have to think there's interest.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:49 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
Really have to give Gillis credit... Takes balls of steel to pull the trigger on some of the moves hes made. One of the best GMs in the league
Up until this trade deadline I would have agreed.

Trading Hodgson is a risky move, but not necessarily a bad one.

What I'm more concerned with is that on a team that is expected to be a cup contender (personally I expect cup winner and view anything less as a failure at this point) he is comfortable with the current defence.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:50 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
At what point do we have to worry about Gilman accepting a GM post somewhere? You have to think there's interest.
I've wondered this as well. He seems like he'd make a very solid GM and is clearly as good as anyone in the league when it comes to working the salary cap.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:52 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Salo
Rome Ballard
Gragnani Tanev
Alberts

The Canucks have 9 guys that can play. That's good depth. How many teams have a bottom pairing dman better than Keith Ballard?

Gillis insulated his defense by moving his worst defensive forward and replaced him with an elite defensive player. Changing the makeup of the team will help the current defense group excel. If there wasn't a good fit at a decent price on defense out there than you look to improve youself up front.

The Bruins won the cup with Ference, McQuaid, Boychuk and Kaberle in their top 6. That is not a a strong group 3 through 6. What they did have is ridiculous depth and quality up front and excellent goaltending - the Canucks possess those traits as well.

Every team in the league will be in for a world of hurt if their top dmen go down to injury come playoff time. We'll be no different.
Rome shouldn't be in the top 6, Gragnani is a question mark, Tanev basically still a rookie, and Ballard is hurt.

Horrible.

Do you take any of Rome, Gragnani, Tanev (right now, no silly arguments about how he is going to be good), and Alberts over those Bruins players?

Old
03-03-2012, 06:55 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
It doesn't really work out like that. Hodgson last year was a non factor, as was Tambo and theres no point of adding them as losses.

Our top line looks weaker this year than last year, same players but they arent at the same level.

Our second line looks to be better, as long as Higgins is slotted on the wing.

The big difference to me is the 3rd and 4th lines. Our 3rd line is improved from last season, as I think Pahlsson> Lapierre, Hansen is improved from last season, Raymond now moves down from the 2nd line ( if AV changes the line ). The 4th line is night and day, with Lapierre , Malholtra, Kassian, Bitz, Weise all as options on that line.

We have however taken a clear hit on defence with the loss of Ehrhoff. As others have mentioned though, Pahlsson might be able to compensate for a bit of that.

What I see overall from our team, is we improved team speed ( 2nd, 3rd, and 4th can all fly), improved in the strength department , and sacrificed skill ( mainly in loss of Ehrhoff ). This years team will be able to grind games out better, but it seems as if our offence has dried up abit. If the top 2 lines pick it up we look to be in good shape.
He won't.

This team won't be able to grind out games any better because as soon as teams start getting in on the forecheck the disastrous bottom pairing is going to fall apart.

No offense at all in the bottom 6.

Kesler is worse than last year, the Sedins have been awful for 2 months.

So who is going to score the goals?

Old
03-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
He won't.

This team won't be able to grind out games any better because as soon as teams start getting in on the forecheck the disastrous bottom pairing is going to fall apart.

I'm with you in that I think we needed to add a solid defencemen at the deadline, and I think we overpayed in that Hodgson deal.

But in the cap era, EVERY team will have issues. Vancouvers team last year was as close to perfect a team can be built in the cap era, and in my opinion without injuries we would have won the cup.

Name a team this season that doesn't have question marks going into the playoffs

Lundface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Do you take any of Rome, Gragnani, Tanev (right now, no silly arguments about how he is going to be good), and Alberts over those Bruins players?
Gragnani, Tanev and Alberts aren't in our top 6. You're comparing our 7, 8 and 9 with the Bruins 3, 4, 5 and 6.

But to answer the question I think you mean to ask, yes, I would take Edler, Salo, Ballard and Rome over their 3 through 6...

Go look at our rivals #8 and 9 guys on the depth chart and tell me they don't have significant question marks.

Teams don't win cups when injuries hit their top 4 defenseman. Virtually every past cup winner has 1 thing in common, health on defense. That's where the luck element comes into play - and why you need it to go all the way. The Bruins had it last year in spades. I believe they missed 1 man game on defense through 4 rounds...

Old
03-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
He won't.

The Canucks are the top team in the NHL, top 4 in goals against(tied with Boston) and a top 5 PK as well.

"This team won't be able to grind out games". What utter crap.

Who is going to score goals? Is this a joke? The Canucks are the highest scoring team in the West.

Best team in the NHL, on pace for more points than last season and have the easiest home stretch of any club in the NHL - yet they can't win low scoring games or score goals.

You should hear yourself.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

The Canucks are the top team in the NHL, top 4 in goals against(tied with Boston) and a top 5 PK as well.

"This team won't be able to grind out games". What utter crap.

Who is going to score goals? Is this a joke? The Canucks are the highest scoring team in the West.

Best team in the NHL, on pace for more points than last season and have the easiest home stretch of any club in the NHL - yet they can't win low scoring games or score goals.

You should hear yourself.
It is the Serge 2k Shtick... are you not familiar with it yet?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:23 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post

Out:
Ehrhoff
Torres
Samuelsson
Hodgson
Tambellini

In:
Booth
Kassian
Pahlsson
Gragnani

? Also

Out:
Bolduc
Glass

In
Weise
Bitz
Ebbett

Also how is game 7 Stanley cup final a "huge disappointment"?

Old
03-03-2012, 07:23 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Gragnani, Tanev and Alberts aren't in our top 6. You're comparing our 7, 8 and 9 with the Bruins 3, 4, 5 and 6.

But to answer the question I think you mean to ask, yes, I would take Edler, Salo, Ballard and Rome over their 3 through 6...

Go look at our rivals #8 and 9 guys on the depth chart and tell me they don't have significant question marks.

Teams don't win cups when injuries hit their top 4 defenseman. Virtually every past cup winner has 1 thing in common, health on defense. That's where the luck element comes into play - and why you need it to go all the way. The Bruins had it last year in spades. I believe they missed 1 man game on defense through 4 rounds...
I think you're severely underrating guys like Mcquaid and Boychuk. But yes, one injury to Chara and Boston would have been done.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:29 PM
canadianmagpie

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I was just reflecting when Gillis arrived on the scene and there was a perceived lack of strength down the middle which resulted in Gillis pursuing Mats Sundin and finally signing him.

Now look at the centre ice position with two elite centres in Henrik and Kesler and Malhotra, Lapierre, Hodgson as well as Ebbett, Higgins and Booth who have also played some centre in the past.

In the AHL there is Schroeder and even Reinprecht who has 669 NHL games under his belt.

Quite a turnaround.
Definitely will be interesting once the playoffs begin, I'm thinking he'll be a call-up for the Canucks once the cap disappears.

canadianmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Invictus146

Definitely expect Reinprecht to get his callup for the playoffs. I believe the cap concerns were pretty much the only thing keeping him down in the AHL

Invictus146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

vCash: 50
One of the best GMs in the league.

Not every GM can sign/trade for every single superstar out there like some people think is possible.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:58 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Rats, saw the old Wet posts and thought he was back.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:04 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Rats, saw the old Wet posts and thought he was back.
Woah, just looked at his posts and he posted yesterday (first time In months) a few times on the main board in the Pavelec DUI thread.

Maybe he is back

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote