HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets vs. Penguins / December 23 / 8:30 PM ET

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2011, 11:22 AM
  #51
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Anybody else like what they saw from Miettinen last night?

Thought him and Slater looked really good, some chemistry. Looks like another "solid" pro ala Wellwood, Slater, Glass. Just seemed really cool and confident to me - and just getting his feet on the ground back in North America.

Me says good on Chevy for this pickup

TCsmyth is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:22 AM
  #52
Chief Ten Bears*
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old jet fan View Post
Pittsburgh has 19 wins this year. Jets have 16.

Is there something more special about Malkin/Penguins than the Jets encountered when they played Philadelphia twice and won both games? Or when they played Boston at the height of their hot streak and won? Or versus Minnesota when they had the best record in the league and won? Or Pittsburgh when we beat them once this year?

How did "Atlanta" do against those teams last year?

Or does it really matter how Atlanta ever did against anyone as the Jets are a new and different team in a new city playing in front of rabid fans?
I think its safe to say no one in Winnipeg concerns themselves with what the Thrashers did against other teams, so no, it doesn't matter.

The Jets can beat any team, we've seen that this year. Just need to play the same type of game as last night, which we are fully capable of.

Chief Ten Bears* is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
  #53
PaperRockChamp
Registered User
 
PaperRockChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 50
Malkin leaves game with an injury. He's past due.

A "surprise" 3-0 win tonight. Enstrom PPG, Kane with 19 shots on goal, scores on a breakaway, and Miettinen scores the empty-netter.

Pittsburgh 0-8 on the PP
Jets 1-2 on the PP

PaperRockChamp is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
  #54
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,148
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
I think its safe to say no one in Winnipeg concerns themselves with what the Thrashers did against other teams, so no, it doesn't matter.

The Jets can beat any team, we've seen that this year. Just need to play the same type of game as last night, which we are fully capable of.
I personally wouldnt say no one....
But I do agree with it doesnt matter

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
  #55
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,251
vCash: 50
Of course I want the W, and will be in the crowd tonight, but I will mostly be watching to see the effort from the team tonight.

I was at the Islander game and like Noel said, it was pretty ugly and lifeless.

So I would have to imagine that there was some heated discussions, and some strong words from the coaching staff prior to the Habs game.

Granted the Habs came in after a game the night before (remember Detroit anyone? ), but I also think the Jets came out with some fire. And a totally different commitment to a team strategy.

So what am I getting at? I want to see if this team can do it again. And then do it again. And then do it again on the road.

Even without Crosby and Letang, the Pens are good. One of the best coached teams in the league. Will the Jets bring the same effort and mentality as the Habs game? Or do we get an Islander game effort?

Huffer is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:27 AM
  #56
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,251
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Anybody else like what they saw from Miettinen last night?

Thought him and Slater looked really good, some chemistry. Looks like another "solid" pro ala Wellwood, Slater, Glass. Just seemed really cool and confident to me - and just getting his feet on the ground back in North America.

Me says good on Chevy for this pickup
I agree. We had a HUGE hole on the 3rd line, and Chevy was lucky that this guy was available to snag off the waiver wire. For what we need, I think he could be a great fit.

Huffer is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:31 AM
  #57
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 1989
Jets win tonight followed by a Joyous Noel in the presser.

sipowicz is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:32 AM
  #58
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,296
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Jets win 6-1.
Ron Hainsey Scores 6 goals.
It's no fun if you just come right out and say it, party pooper.


YWGinYYZ is online now  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:37 AM
  #59
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
Jets 4-1.

I hope the effort is there. The team performance on the tail end of back to back games has been dire.

Gnova is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:41 AM
  #60
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,234
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Of course I want the W, and will be in the crowd tonight, but I will mostly be watching to see the effort from the team tonight.

I was at the Islander game and like Noel said, it was pretty ugly and lifeless.

So I would have to imagine that there was some heated discussions, and some strong words from the coaching staff prior to the Habs game.

Granted the Habs came in after a game the night before (remember Detroit anyone? ), but I also think the Jets came out with some fire. And a totally different commitment to a team strategy.

So what am I getting at? I want to see if this team can do it again. And then do it again. And then do it again on the road.

Even without Crosby and Letang, the Pens are good. One of the best coached teams in the league. Will the Jets bring the same effort and mentality as the Habs game? Or do we get an Islander game effort?
We are of the same mind on this one Huffy.

The Penguins are so talented it's possible to play well against them and still lose. I'll be looking to see the drive, passion and hard work. That to me will be a win, regardless of the score.

We need to continue to cut down the lack of effort games. In my mind it was not only the Isles game, but the Ducks and Caps games previous to that. The fact that we got 5 out of a possible 8 points out of those games is nice but won't help us win as the games get harder.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
  #61
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,334
vCash: 50
It was a nasty shot he took. I thought it was off his back though. I had a good view but it was through two panes of glass.

allan5oh is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:53 AM
  #62
Conflicted Habs fan
Registered User
 
Conflicted Habs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 539
vCash: 50
I'd like to see if Wellwood can beat his scoring record of 8 seconds into the first period.

Conflicted Habs fan is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 11:56 AM
  #63
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,071
vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old jet fan View Post
Pittsburgh has 19 wins this year. Jets have 16.

Is there something more special about Malkin/Penguins than the Jets encountered when they played Philadelphia twice and won both games? Or when they played Boston at the height of their hot streak and won? Or versus Minnesota when they had the best record in the league and won? Or Pittsburgh when we beat them once this year?

How did "Atlanta" do against those teams last year?

Or does it really matter how Atlanta ever did against anyone as the Jets are a new and different team in a new city playing in front of rabid fans?
I think enough has changed that any tendencies that the team previously had aren't that relevant.


Btw, thanks for setting up Chief Ten Bears to take a shot at Atlanta. I owe you one. /sarcasm?

BigTuna49 is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:02 PM
  #64
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,334
vCash: 50
I just realized it's possible for us to slide into 6th place tonight.

allan5oh is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
  #65
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greater Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 5949
Some good points were made about the Jets holding the lead early last night and playing their bottom lines more. I expect they'll be up for this one and will want to close out strong before the break.

I'm looking forward to watching Stuart hit Malkin a dozen times this game.

vBurmi is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:04 PM
  #66
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,921
vCash: 50
2-1 Jets. Pitts is going to play a very defensive game.

Ziggy66 is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:09 PM
  #67
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
I think its safe to say no one in Winnipeg concerns themselves with what the Thrashers did against other teams, so no, it doesn't matter.

The Jets can beat any team, we've seen that this year. Just need to play the same type of game as last night, which we are fully capable of.
I care about what the Thrashers did in the past and I would hope the players do too. Don't want a repeat of last year please.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
- George Santayana and probably Ranger Smith to Yogi Bear

Gnova is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:12 PM
  #68
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO
 
Reed Solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Man.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
All I want for Christmas is the Jets in 6th place.

It'll be tough though. I say 4-2 Jets after an empty netter.

Reed Solomon is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:31 PM
  #69
Eddie Vedder
Registered User
 
Eddie Vedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Any update on Littles status for tonight?

Eddie Vedder is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
  #70
MadMen88
Registered User
 
MadMen88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Any chance we see Brent Johnson tonight? Seems to be a trend that is slowly dying. Kind of like Blake Wheeler not performing well. A Panthers loss to the Bruins and an impressive outting by our Jets would go a long way to a top three seeding come April.

MadMen88 is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:34 PM
  #71
Prot
Registered User
 
Prot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 744
vCash: 100
Why do I get the strong feeling the Jets really need to score the first goal tonight?

And ditto on Little; just how bad is his foot injury?

Prot is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:37 PM
  #72
Waldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
All I want for Christmas is the Jets in 6th place.

It'll be tough though. I say 4-2 Jets after an empty netter.
The Sens play the Canes and the Leafs play the Islanders. Sens and Leafs should both win. Should we win this one we will likely be keeping pace but not moving up.

6th place sure would be nice though.

Waldo is online now  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:37 PM
  #73
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Vedder View Post
Any update on Littles status for tonight?
Have been wondering this myself, at first I thought it was a back injury, but apparently it's his foot.

sipowicz is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
  #74
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,869
vCash: 50
<------

poor taste, maybe, but, i wanted to see the jets play crosby

Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
  #75
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Vedder View Post
Any update on Littles status for tonight?
In the presser after the game last night, Noel alluded to the fact that he may not be ready until after Christmas. He hadn't yet skated unless he skated this am.

blues10 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.