HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Looking back 7 years/Jaromir Jagr appreciation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-25-2011, 05:28 PM
  #201
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Amen! Thank you! I couldn't have said it better myself. Right me down for it now, I owe you a beer.
Sorry but you guys are damn retarded. Tell me a player who plays consistent every game. Go play in the NHL and lets see if you feel 100% every game. He was barely injured so if he didnt play 100% some games does not warrant any talk of coasting, he got in the boards, protected the puck and played against top shutdown D while still getting points. Seriosuly why waste time with someone like you who who downplays his value to NY while he was here. He and Lundy created a culture of winning in this city that is still carried over until today. Culture of winning is very hard to gain and once you lose it , is hard to get back just look at how the same teams get to the playoffs even with the cap. Not just the starts but the young players coming in, fans and media all ge used to winning and expect it rather than losing.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:16 PM
  #202
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What am I making up? Somebody clearly stated they were cheering everytime people booed. And even then, I think cheering him would've been dumb anyway, even if it was for one shift.

He came here, brought us to the playoffs (Lundqvist, too, who's still here by the way.), didn't get us past the second round (7.7 seconds away doesn't count), and then was gone.

I'm saying giving Jagr 7.5 Mil would've been overpayment, just as giving Drury that money was too.

And bowing down to Gaborik? What the **** are you talking about? This is why it's ridiculous to argue on these boards. Everybody just preaches to their own choir and agrees with whoever agrees with their own point. Jagr sure competed alright. Competed enough for us not to do anything significant. Seriously, do you read what you write sometimes? I'm here attacking Jagr meanwhile I love the guy because some of you are blinded by your love for him.

And guess what? We weren't winning a cup by resigning Jagr and Nylander, either.
I started cheering Jagr only because people were booing him. And as someone else said--why only boo Jagr? Why not boo other players on the Flyers? Why should Jagr be singled out? Claude Giroux scored in the winning "goal" in the shootout that kept the Rangers out of the playoffs--why wasn't he booed the whole game?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:33 PM
  #203
polako
Registered User
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Sorry but he's a Flyer now, I see nothing wrong with booing him.
If Henrik Lundqvist were traded to the Flyers for Scott Hartnell or Danny Briere, would you boo Hank?

I hate this argument. Think about a few years ago, when Brashear, a notoriously dirty - not to mention, terrible - player was signed a few weeks after concussing Blair Betts. We heard the "he's one of us, now" defense so many times from people on these boards.

Sometimes, you root for the player, and not the shirt he's wearing. With Jagr, we're talking about a player who put together one of the greatest seasons in NYR history. A guy who LEAD a rookie goaltender and a collection of misfits and spare parts to the playoffs for 3 straight years, and changed the culture of this team overnight. And the center ice salute and Sweet Caroline? These were things that he brought to the team (to the league!) for the fans.

Most importantly, he was a player who wanted to be here and enjoyed and performed in the NY spotlight.

I was at his final game at MSG, a playoff game, down 3-0 in the series to Pitt. The guy scored an amazing goal, the team won, and he was serenaded with the entire arena chanting his name for minutes. 4 years later, he's being booed when he touches the puck like he was Scott Gomez or something.

In sports, we all like to say that players have lost their loyalty. It's not just players, though...we can say the same about the fans.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:52 PM
  #204
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,510
vCash: 500
Well said, polako!

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
  #205
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 14,401
vCash: 263
and i think the argument isn't "hey, let's build a statue of Jagr and cheer him while he enters the building and line up to wash his balls"

the argument is "don't boo him" there is no reason too. if the only argument is "well let's boo him because hes a flyer now" well then hey, lets boo everyone who used to play for us. but we dont. boos are usually reserved for players who screw us over and go to another team or for crappy fans like Pittsburg. Jagr didn't screw us over i don't see a point in booing him.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:49 PM
  #206
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What am I making up? Somebody clearly stated they were cheering everytime people booed. And even then, I think cheering him would've been dumb anyway, even if it was for one shift.

He came here, brought us to the playoffs (Lundqvist, too, who's still here by the way.), didn't get us past the second round (7.7 seconds away doesn't count), and then was gone.

I'm saying giving Jagr 7.5 Mil would've been overpayment, just as giving Drury that money was too.

And bowing down to Gaborik? What the **** are you talking about? This is why it's ridiculous to argue on these boards. Everybody just preaches to their own choir and agrees with whoever agrees with their own point. Jagr sure competed alright. Competed enough for us not to do anything significant. Seriously, do you read what you write sometimes? I'm here attacking Jagr meanwhile I love the guy because some of you are blinded by your love for him.

And guess what? We weren't winning a cup by resigning Jagr and Nylander, either.
Do you know that Jagr didn't ask for 7.5 million. Sure he talked about it in the media about how players' status on the team is according to their salary but he was really trying to say that he felt the Rangers made a big mistake by signing Drury and Gomez for 7 million each for multi-year deals.

Jagr didn't actually ask for 7.5 million as you claim. What he wanted (and in the Czech media it was said that he would settle for 5 million a year) if he was given a 2-3 year deal.

You make it sound like scoring 71 Pts is the worst thing in the world. Those 71 Pts still led the Rangers in scoring despite playing with a different center almost every night.

I have also seen you say how Jagr took second halves of seasons off. If I recall, his 2005-06 season he got injured in the Olympics (an apparent concussion from the Ruutoo hit) that Jagr never complained about. We all saw it, he was different after the Olympics, it had nothing to do with him trying any less. If no Olympics, I don't see Jagr losing the Art Ross, Rocket or Hart that season.

In his second season, he played all season long with a bad, surgically repaired shoulder that made him slump in the middle of the season only for him to catch fire near the end of the season. (Again he didn't take the second half of the season off as you claim).

In his third and final season with the Rangers he was a bit upset about how the organization had brought in Drury and Gomez and he never got any chemistry with them and was playing with 4th line players at some points. So what he wasn't scoring at a torrid pace early on? He was taking pressure off of Shanahan (who wasn't scoring much himself and somehow gets a pass) and how can we all forget the "amazing" Drury and Gomez themselves who were both outscored by Jagr. Jagr commanded the double teams and his presence alone made the Rangers a good team. Opposing teams' plans were to shadow and double team Jagr which should have allowed "Mr Clutch Drury" to score big goals, which he didn't. Gomez got most of his points on the powerplay and got easy assists.

BTW, that final season, Jagr finished the season with 11 Pts in his final 8 games and then went on to score 15 Pts in 10 playoff games. That's 26 Pts in his final 18 games (1.44 PPG, not exactly taking the second half off). He was "literally the only" Ranger that showed up against the Penguins.

Give the guy a break. He played injured and despite his discontentment in his final season, still put up a respectable 71 Pts followed by a "dominant" playoff run.

Not cheering for him for the reason that he's a Flyers now is fine, but booing him is stupid.

Jagr didn't leave the Rangers because he asked for more money, he left because Sather refused to give him a multi-year deal, which would have kept Jagr in New York.

He wanted basically 5 million for 2-3 years. Instead of giving him the money, Sather decided to go after Redden and Naslund and pay them more money to "suck".

Every player wants to make more money. Joe Sakic used to get paid 10 million all those years for the Avanlanche. Jagr was a superstar player and wanted to be paid what he felt he deserved.

Players nowadays will sometimes get a new contract based on their playoff run alone. Jagr's 2007-08 playoff run made him look like he was still a superstar and quite possibly still a top 5 player then. If this season is any indication of Jagr's ability, he most likely would have returned to being a 80-90 Pts player in the following seasons with the Rangers.

He would have put up better numbers than anyone the Rangers have had. What's passed is passed but it saddens to me to see that the Rangers fans (which Jagr has spoken so highly of over the past years) are booing him. People call Graves a "true Ranger", what's a true Ranger? Graves didn't start his career in New York and didn't end it either.

Why is Graves a "true Ranger" is it because he helped the Rangers win a Cup? Messier helped them win a Cup only to suck for them in his last tenure as Captain. Jagr played some of the most dominant hockey of any Ranger, he played with a dislocated shoulder, broken and fallen teeth, groin injuries, hip flexor injuries even a concussion after the Olympics and not once did he complain and he only missed 2 playoff games in his entire time as a Ranger. More than anything Gaborik has done for the Rangers.

How do you guys cheer a player in the 2007-08 playoffs (eventhough signing him was a topic that was already being brought up then) and now suddenly boo him. He never once bad mouthed the organization, he said his time in New York was some of his best (as for that stupid argument about him not smiling in New York), Jagr was usually always happy in New York. He wasn't as happy in 2007-08 because he blamed himself for his bad performance. The difference is he made up for it with a remarkable playoff.

Jagr is the only player I can think of that can have a similar 2007-08 playoff run and be called "declining". Also I've heard people say he was playing lazy and didn't play defense. Jagr backchecked more than ever as a Ranger. If I recall, despite his low (71 Pts) point total, he was still a +7 which is not so bad. That Ranger team was terrible offensively and only Jagr made them respectable in that category.

Also Jagr wasn't the reason the Rangers sucked after he lfet, it was because Drury couldn't Captain a team if his life depended on it, Redden and Naslund sucked and so did Gomez.

You guys have also been waiting for someone to "replace Jagr's production" without any much success. How long before Gaborik sputters? Listen to what guys like Dubinsky have to say about Jagr. Dubinsky says that Jagr played some dominant hockey (and this was during the overblown struggles of the 2007-08 season) and was a great influence on him. Lundqvist, Dubinsky, Girardi and Staal were there when Jagr was there and they have nothing but good things to say about Jagr.

He was 36 and scored 71 Pts and we're talking as if it was the worst season ever. Jagr scored 290 Pts in 246 regular season games as a Ranger. He averaged 97 Pts in his 3 full seasons as a Ranger. If that was playing lazy then what is considered good?


Last edited by livewell68: 12-26-2011 at 06:32 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:49 PM
  #207
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 14,401
vCash: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Do you know that Jagr didn't ask for 7.5 million. Sure he talked about it in the media about how players' status on the team is according to their salary but he was really trying to say that he felt the Rangers made a big mistake by signing Drury and Gomez for 7 million each for multi-year deals.

Jagr didn't actually ask for 7.5 million as you claim. What he wanted (and in the Czech media it was said that he would settle for 5 million a year) if he was given a 2-3 year deal.

You make it sound like scoring 71 Pts is the worst thing in the world. Those 71 Pts still led the Rangers in scoring despite playing with a different center almost every night.

I have also seen you say how Jagr took second halves of seasons off. If I recall, his 2005-06 season he got injured in the Olympics (an apparent concussion from the Ruutoo hit) that Jagr never complained about. We all saw it, he was different after the Olympics, it had nothing to do with him trying any less. If no Olympics, I don't see Jagr losing the Art Ross, Rocket or Hart that season.

In his second season, he played all season long with a bad, surgically repaired shoulder that made him slump in the middle season only for him to catch fire near the end of the season. (Again he didn't take second half of the season off).

In his third and final season with the Rangers he was a bit upset about how the organization had brought in Drury and Gomez and he never got any chemistry with them and was playing with 4th line players at some points. So what he wasn't scoring at a torrid pace early on, he was taking pressure off of Shanahan (who wasn't scoring much himself and somehow gets a pass) and how can we all forget the "amazing" Drury and Gomez themselves who were both outscored by Jagr. Jagr commanded the double teams and his presence alone made the Rangers a good team. Opposing teams' plans were to shadow and double team Jagr which should have allowed "Mr Clutch Drury" to score big goals, which he didn't. Gomez got most of his points on the powerplay and got easy assists.

BTW, that final season, Jagr finished the season 11 Pts in his final 8 games and then went on to score 15 Pts in 10 playoff games. He was "literally the only" Ranger that showed up against the Penguins.

Give the guy a break. He played injured and despite his discontentment in his final season, still put up a respectable 71 Pts followed by a "dominant" playoff run.

Not cheering him for the reason that he's a Flyers now is fine, but booing him is stupid.

Jagr didn't leave the Rangers because he asked for more money, he left because Sather refused to give him a multi-year deal, which would have kept Jagr in New York.

He wanted basically 5 million for 2-3 years. Instead of giving him the money, Sather decided to go after Redden and Naslund and pay money to "suck".

Every player wants to make more money. Joe Sakic used to get paid 10 million all those years for the Avanlanche. Jagr was a superstar player and wanted to be paid what he felt he deserved.

Players nowadays will sometimes get a new contract based on their playoff run alone. Jagr's 2007-08 playoff run made him look like he was still a superstar and quite possibly still a top 5 player then. If this season is any indication of Jagr's ability, he most likely would have returned to being a 80-90 Pts player in the following seasons with the Rangers.

He would have put up better numbers than anyone the Rangers have had. What's passed is passed but it saddens to me to see that the Rangers fans (which Jagr has spoken so highly of over the past years) are booing him. People call Graves a "true Ranger", what's a true Rangers? Graves didn't start his career in New York and didn't end it either.

Why is Graves a "true Ranger" is because he helped the Rangers win a Cup? Messier helped them win a Cup only so suck for them in his last tenure as Captain. Jagr played some of the most dominant hockey of any Ranger, he played with a dislocated shoulder, broken, fallen teeth, groin injuries, hip flexor injuries and not once did he complain and he only missed 2 playoff games in his entire time as a Ranger. More than anything Gaborik as done for them.

How do you guys cheer a player in the 2007-08 playoffs (eventhough signing him was a topic that was already being brought up then) and now suddenly boo him. He never once bad mouthed the organization, he said his time in New York was some of his best (as for that stpud argument about him not smiling in New York), Jagr was usually always happy in New York. He wasn't as happy in 2007-08 because he blamed himself for his bad performance. The difference is he made up for it with a remarkable playoff.

Jagr is the only player I can think of that can have a similar 2007-08 playoff run and be called "declining".
exactly. and he wanted multiple years. he would have retired a Ranger if we let him. we let him go instead. now people boo him. i just don't get the logic.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:03 AM
  #208
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
I'd like to chime in here...

I've always felt that it was the Rangers who shafted Jagr. It was almost as if Sather said "yeah yeah yeah... we'll talk in a bit." or there was some backroom deal where if Sather couldn't "replace" Jagr, then he'd be resigned.

Jags is the reason this team is respectable. (OK, Hank is a major contributor). I've never thought it was a coincidence that Sather signed Naslund and within hours it was announced that Jagr signed in Russia. I truly believe that Sather told JJ that if he couldn't find a "replacement" then he'd give him the money. Naslund signs, JJ goes to Russia and now he's back in Philly.

Will I cheer for him? No. Will I boo him when he touches the puck at MSG? Only if I'm drunk and feel like being obnoxious.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:24 PM
  #209
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Do you know that Jagr didn't ask for 7.5 million. Sure he talked about it in the media about how players' status on the team is according to their salary but he was really trying to say that he felt the Rangers made a big mistake by signing Drury and Gomez for 7 million each for multi-year deals.

Jagr didn't actually ask for 7.5 million as you claim. What he wanted (and in the Czech media it was said that he would settle for 5 million a year) if he was given a 2-3 year deal.

You make it sound like scoring 71 Pts is the worst thing in the world. Those 71 Pts still led the Rangers in scoring despite playing with a different center almost every night.

I have also seen you say how Jagr took second halves of seasons off. If I recall, his 2005-06 season he got injured in the Olympics (an apparent concussion from the Ruutoo hit) that Jagr never complained about. We all saw it, he was different after the Olympics, it had nothing to do with him trying any less. If no Olympics, I don't see Jagr losing the Art Ross, Rocket or Hart that season.

In his second season, he played all season long with a bad, surgically repaired shoulder that made him slump in the middle of the season only for him to catch fire near the end of the season. (Again he didn't take the second half of the season off as you claim).

In his third and final season with the Rangers he was a bit upset about how the organization had brought in Drury and Gomez and he never got any chemistry with them and was playing with 4th line players at some points. So what he wasn't scoring at a torrid pace early on? He was taking pressure off of Shanahan (who wasn't scoring much himself and somehow gets a pass) and how can we all forget the "amazing" Drury and Gomez themselves who were both outscored by Jagr. Jagr commanded the double teams and his presence alone made the Rangers a good team. Opposing teams' plans were to shadow and double team Jagr which should have allowed "Mr Clutch Drury" to score big goals, which he didn't. Gomez got most of his points on the powerplay and got easy assists.

BTW, that final season, Jagr finished the season with 11 Pts in his final 8 games and then went on to score 15 Pts in 10 playoff games. That's 26 Pts in his final 18 games (1.44 PPG, not exactly taking the second half off). He was "literally the only" Ranger that showed up against the Penguins.

Give the guy a break. He played injured and despite his discontentment in his final season, still put up a respectable 71 Pts followed by a "dominant" playoff run.

Not cheering for him for the reason that he's a Flyers now is fine, but booing him is stupid.

Jagr didn't leave the Rangers because he asked for more money, he left because Sather refused to give him a multi-year deal, which would have kept Jagr in New York.

He wanted basically 5 million for 2-3 years. Instead of giving him the money, Sather decided to go after Redden and Naslund and pay them more money to "suck".

Every player wants to make more money. Joe Sakic used to get paid 10 million all those years for the Avanlanche. Jagr was a superstar player and wanted to be paid what he felt he deserved.

Players nowadays will sometimes get a new contract based on their playoff run alone. Jagr's 2007-08 playoff run made him look like he was still a superstar and quite possibly still a top 5 player then. If this season is any indication of Jagr's ability, he most likely would have returned to being a 80-90 Pts player in the following seasons with the Rangers.

He would have put up better numbers than anyone the Rangers have had. What's passed is passed but it saddens to me to see that the Rangers fans (which Jagr has spoken so highly of over the past years) are booing him. People call Graves a "true Ranger", what's a true Ranger? Graves didn't start his career in New York and didn't end it either.

Why is Graves a "true Ranger" is it because he helped the Rangers win a Cup? Messier helped them win a Cup only to suck for them in his last tenure as Captain. Jagr played some of the most dominant hockey of any Ranger, he played with a dislocated shoulder, broken and fallen teeth, groin injuries, hip flexor injuries even a concussion after the Olympics and not once did he complain and he only missed 2 playoff games in his entire time as a Ranger. More than anything Gaborik has done for the Rangers.

How do you guys cheer a player in the 2007-08 playoffs (eventhough signing him was a topic that was already being brought up then) and now suddenly boo him. He never once bad mouthed the organization, he said his time in New York was some of his best (as for that stupid argument about him not smiling in New York), Jagr was usually always happy in New York. He wasn't as happy in 2007-08 because he blamed himself for his bad performance. The difference is he made up for it with a remarkable playoff.

Jagr is the only player I can think of that can have a similar 2007-08 playoff run and be called "declining". Also I've heard people say he was playing lazy and didn't play defense. Jagr backchecked more than ever as a Ranger. If I recall, despite his low (71 Pts) point total, he was still a +7 which is not so bad. That Ranger team was terrible offensively and only Jagr made them respectable in that category.

Also Jagr wasn't the reason the Rangers sucked after he lfet, it was because Drury couldn't Captain a team if his life depended on it, Redden and Naslund sucked and so did Gomez.

You guys have also been waiting for someone to "replace Jagr's production" without any much success. How long before Gaborik sputters? Listen to what guys like Dubinsky have to say about Jagr. Dubinsky says that Jagr played some dominant hockey (and this was during the overblown struggles of the 2007-08 season) and was a great influence on him. Lundqvist, Dubinsky, Girardi and Staal were there when Jagr was there and they have nothing but good things to say about Jagr.

He was 36 and scored 71 Pts and we're talking as if it was the worst season ever. Jagr scored 290 Pts in 246 regular season games as a Ranger. He averaged 97 Pts in his 3 full seasons as a Ranger. If that was playing lazy then what is considered good?
great post . i couldn't believe how harsh the reaction to JJ was at the game. he prob had one of the best 4 year stretches in team history. no statue for the guy, just felt he deserved a nice salute. over with now, onto the classic to beat the flyers for the 3rd time this year.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
  #210
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
WAY too much for me to read.I got a headache just looking at the post you made.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
  #211
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
i appreciate what Jagr did while he was here. he was always one of my favorite non ranger players. His sour disposition in his last year along with his demands only proved him to be the primadonna that he is. Whatever. If anything the sucess with Jagr, delayed our development process. we probably should have missed the playoffs those first few years after the lockout. that's history now.

IMO Jagr should be ending his career with Pittsburg. Outside of $$ there is no reason why he "chose" the flyers. I'm not saying i agree with the booing of Jagr. I wouldn't do it personally but i can understand that reaction. Our rivalry with the Flyers has intensified over the last few seasons, especially with the upcoming winter classic. For a ranger fan, Jagr couldn't have picked a worse team to join, considering the rivalry.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:54 PM
  #212
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i appreciate what Jagr did while he was here. he was always one of my favorite non ranger players. His sour disposition in his last year along with his demands only proved him to be the primadonna that he is. Whatever. If anything the sucess with Jagr, delayed our development process. we probably should have missed the playoffs those first few years after the lockout. that's history now.

IMO Jagr should be ending his career with Pittsburg. Outside of $$ there is no reason why he "chose" the flyers. I'm not saying i agree with the booing of Jagr. I wouldn't do it personally but i can understand that reaction. Our rivalry with the Flyers has intensified over the last few seasons, especially with the upcoming winter classic. For a ranger fan, Jagr couldn't have picked a worse team to join, considering the rivalry.
Recchi did nothing but play for rivals, Boston, Pittsburgh and Philly. Did he ever get booed by his former teams?

Arguments like this about how Jagr went after the money keep getting thrown around.

What was he supposed to do, take the 1-2 million and play on the 3rd line (which is basically what Pittsburgh was going to do with him)?

Philadelphia didn't even offer Jagr the most money. There were rumors floating around that Winnipeg, Toronto, Florida were all interested in Jagr with promise of more money but Jagr chose the team he felt would give him not only the best chance to win a Cup but also play "an integral part" in that team success.

On the Flyers, Jagr is the second best player and if not for missing a few games with injuries, he would be in the top 15 in scoring. Jagr wasn't going to come back to the NHL to play 10 minutes a game and score 50 Pts. He knew he still had something left in the tank and wanted to showcase it, the Flyers gave him the best chance for that.

You bring up an argument stating that Jagr had demands in his final season. What demands were those?

To play with linemates with which he has chemistry? Asked for a multiyear deal because he felt he still had lots left in the tank?

What demands? People claim that Jagr mailed it in in the regular season in 2007-08. What would you guys have preferred? That he tried to win the Art Ross (bare in mind that he was 35-36) only to burn out come playoff time? I mean don't the players play to win the Cup? Isn't that what counts the most? Jagr, and Jagr only gave the Rangers a chance in the 2008 playoffs.

I think the media bashing Jagr (a lot of it not being merited) is the reason there is this lack of respect towards one of the NHL greatest players of all-time. Very sad.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:54 PM
  #213
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron
 
Mr Atoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
I thought that Sather did the right thing in not resigning Jagr. It was better for the team. For too long the Rangers had been propping up old superstars to the detriment of developing younger players. After passing up Jagr I thought that Sather was finally on the right track - until the Redden debacle.

But even so, there is zero reason that Jagr should have been booed. If there's one thing that NY fans are known for it's being loyal to players they love when those players leave except under the worst of circumstances. We welcomed back Messier (obviously), Tom Seaver, Joe Namath, and a host of lesser names.

Booing Jagr puts us on a par with small minded small town front running fans that cant see past the end of their nose.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
  #214
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Jagr was a materialistic spoiled brat who made me sick more often than not..He is a talented hockey player though.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
  #215
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Jagr was a materialistic spoiled brat who made me sick more often than not..He is a talented hockey player though.
Comments like this are funny. I bet you're among the same fans on team forum that used to cheer everytime Jagr brought fans out of their seats with his goals.

When was the last time a player had chants like MVP!, MVP!. MVP! chanted to him in New York?

Materialistic? Was Jagr the one who paid Gomez and Drury 7 million a year each?

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:55 PM
  #216
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Comments like this are funny. I bet you're among the same fans on team forum that used to cheer everytime Jagr brought fans out of their seats with his goals.

When was the last time a player had chants like MVP!, MVP!. MVP! chanted to him in New York?

Materialistic? Was Jagr the one who paid Gomez and Drury 7 million a year each?
Dude,honestly,NO...i dont preach one thing and do another....Unlike most on this board and in regular every day society,I am no hypocrite.

and ofourse i cheered when he scored,i cherr when any Ranger scores.isnt that what all ranger fans do,score when a ranger player scores? Even if you dislike him. I do have my favorite players but i cheer for e Rangers as a team.Since hockey is a team sport,unlike lets say basketball when one guy can just be the whole team,thats imo..

Hope that answers your question.
Oh yeah and no materialistic,then tell me...WHY DID HE GO TO PLAY IN THE KHL? ill tell you why $$$$$$$$$$$$,got more there than what NYR offered him,so yeah materillistc.And when Drury and Gomez came,he wasnt the star any more and he became a ****ing brat and it showed..apparently you like Jagr and have your opinion,so i wont debate anythign any more with you cause it will be a waste of my time and energy.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:39 PM
  #217
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
Nearly every professional athlete is materialistic. Give me a break.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
  #218
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Nearly every professional athlete is materialistic. Give me a break.
The topic is Jagr....not "NEARLY EVERY ATLETE",so give me a break ! Stay on course,son!!!!!!!!!!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:33 PM
  #219
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
Jagr was not worth a multi-year contract at the time he fled to the KHL.

No team offered it and that's what he wanted.

I'm sure the size of the contract also scared teams off, but at the end of the day, he wasn't worth 2 years or 7 million.

Glad Sather refused to do that deal.

Now that he's in the filthy flyers, he can go and rot.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:35 PM
  #220
McIlrathsWrath
Registered User
 
McIlrathsWrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New york
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I thought that Sather did the right thing in not resigning Jagr. It was better for the team. For too long the Rangers had been propping up old superstars to the detriment of developing younger players. After passing up Jagr I thought that Sather was finally on the right track - until the Redden debacle.

But even so, there is zero reason that Jagr should have been booed. If there's one thing that NY fans are known for it's being loyal to players they love when those players leave except under the worst of circumstances. We welcomed back Messier (obviously), Tom Seaver, Joe Namath, and a host of lesser names.

Booing Jagr puts us on a par with small minded small town front running fans that cant see past the end of their nose.
Very well said. This is the point I was attempting to make.

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:12 PM
  #221
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
The topic is Jagr....not "NEARLY EVERY ATLETE",so give me a break ! Stay on course,son!!!!!!!!!!
Criticizing the guy for something nearly every athlete does *IS* on course with this thread. Pay attention.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:22 PM
  #222
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
. People call Graves a "true Ranger", what's a true Ranger? Graves didn't start his career in New York and didn't end it either.

Why is Graves a "true Ranger" is it because he helped the Rangers win a Cup?
You are a bunch of things and one of them is a silly individual ( proper word for this board,although not my choice of word to be honest),another is you have to be young.Under18 ..Im shocked if your older than 21. You may be Jagr himself or you may be Jagr's boyfriend or girlfriend,depending on how I or we ( the people of the almighty HF boards) or u look at it,lmao....

Graves was true class on and off the ice,with charities with kids.Played the game with grit and heart and class,imo the biggest heart of anY ranger to ever wear the sweater. He was a warrior on the ice,defended his team mates, and was the heart and soul of NYR.Also had a huge 52 goal season...He is a rnger mainly for what he did for the kids and people of NY as well as his huge part of the Rangers wining a cup.

You comparison of Graves to jagr,here in NY is absolutly retarded and terrible. Hopefully your doen blowing Jagr,cause its sickening.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:54 AM
  #223
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
All time, Graves is 3rd in goals, 9th in games played, 10th in points for a franchise that's been around for 86 years. That's "true Ranger" enough for me.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:20 AM
  #224
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Sorry but you guys are damn retarded. Tell me a player who plays consistent every game. Go play in the NHL and lets see if you feel 100% every game. He was barely injured so if he didnt play 100% some games does not warrant any talk of coasting, he got in the boards, protected the puck and played against top shutdown D while still getting points. Seriosuly why waste time with someone like you who who downplays his value to NY while he was here. He and Lundy created a culture of winning in this city that is still carried over until today. Culture of winning is very hard to gain and once you lose it , is hard to get back just look at how the same teams get to the playoffs even with the cap. Not just the starts but the young players coming in, fans and media all ge used to winning and expect it rather than losing.
Culture of winning gimme a break. 1 title in 71 years what culture of winning are you talking about? So making the second round now is a culture of winning? If that's the case Joe Thornton should already have a statue, a street, a holiday, a hot dog, and a breed of dog named after him among other things if that's what we're going by here. You'd think we're the Montreal freaking Canadiens or something. You want to know what brought about this so called culture of winning? The salary cap. As for the booing I didn't agree with it, on the same hand I don't agree with the folks here who wanna line up on their knees for the guy

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:58 PM
  #225
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Culture of winning gimme a break. 1 title in 71 years what culture of winning are you talking about? So making the second round now is a culture of winning? If that's the case Joe Thornton should already have a statue, a street, a holiday, a hot dog, and a breed of dog named after him among other things if that's what we're going by here. You'd think we're the Montreal freaking Canadiens or something. You want to know what brought about this so called culture of winning? The salary cap. As for the booing I didn't agree with it, on the same hand I don't agree with the folks here who wanna line up on their knees for the guy
I love it, give me a thornton with mustard, relish, extra onions and sauerkraut.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.