HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Devils - Prudential Center - 7pm - 12-23-11

Old
12-24-2011, 02:19 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
that's true, i mean i forget what or how someone can get 65 goals
I don't even need 65 goals..but really, they should watch some games from the 08-09 season to see what they're missing maybe...

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienLanes82 View Post

As we've shipped out almost every character, hard-working guy we had (Derek MacKenzie is the last one left), our disgraceful record is well deserved. I don't even like the bunch of clowns I root for now.

Jeff Schultz for Derek Mackenzie?

Last edited by Atlas: 12-24-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:38 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I don't even need 65 goals..but really, they should watch some games from the 08-09 season to see what they're missing maybe...
i am not going to totally bust on ovechkin. the comeback was started by a nice play by ov on the laich goal.

that said, if ov has become a 30 or less scorer, i want mcphee to get him out of town if he can before its too late.

when the caps need a comeback its laich and chimera? something's wrong. now...semin did have a hand in the both of chimera's goals with nice work. with goals in the previous two games and a productive game last night, i am hopeful.

i know its a hateful thought around here, but semin is showing that he can produce like the best of his past. showing he can still do it. ovechkin not so much.

i am rooting for the guy, but i really wonder if he is what he is and thats it. the caps are going nowhere with $10m in cap space tied up in jason chimera like stats.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Oh ya? Haven't people been saying this forever? "Give the coaches time". Its been a month and still the same crap has been happening. If BB was coaching, no one would be saying. "Give BB time with the new players GMGM brought in".

Fact is, there has been no real change since the firing. We look great one game, suck complete butt the next, and continue.. Now where have we seen this before.... with BB? Oh, maybe its because its the players... like some of us have been saying all along
Actually it was suck one game, suck the next game, suck the next game, suck the next game, play well in a game or two, then suck for 3-4 more games. We are playing significantly better than in Bruce's last few games. You forget how we were well under 500 in a significant stretch of games and getting few, if any, scoring chances. Yes Ovie isn't playing like the old Ovie, but if you open your eyes and look at the play on ice, it is far superior in terms of teamwork.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bluejackets fan - just want to say how happy I am to see Chimera shining for you guys. I always thought he was the heart and soul of our team (him and Malhotra on third line LW-C), and I always knew he had 20 goals in him if he got into the right offensive situation. He's a really solid hockey player.
Man, before this season I thought he wasn't a great fit here. Now he's one of my favourites. Good guy.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Yes Ovie isn't playing like the old Ovie, but if you open your eyes and look at the play on ice, it is far superior in terms of teamwork.
far superior in terms of teamwork and far inferior in terms of production is not even close to a wash, much less an improvement. if that is what the caps really need, then lets trade ovechkin for dustin brown or brendan morrow or ryan callahan.

if semin can get his 35-40 goal game back and ov cant get past 30, i'd give a lot of thought to keeping semin and moving ov.

lets hope that there is at least a 40 goal ov still in there.

Old
12-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
far superior in terms of teamwork and far inferior in terms of production is not even close to a wash, much less an improvement. if that is what the caps really need, then lets trade ovechkin for dustin brown or brendan morrow or ryan callahan.

if semin can get his 35-40 goal game back and ov cant get past 30, i'd give a lot of thought to keeping semin and moving ov.

My comparison was to the team in the last 14 games of his tenure, not to the Caps of 2 years ago. Our scoring opportunities are more numerous now. I see signs of Ovie being close to breaking out; he is making adjustments that will force teams to give him more space ultimately. Namely burning them with the pass if they lean to him.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:54 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:

u forget its regular season... the first time the caps are not controlling the devision at this point in the season and u want the captain out of town ?! when he is a no show in the post season or has like 30 goals while the caps miss the playoffs is the point u can talk about those things. seriously... he stops entertaining you after his mvp seasons and now he must go... a really spoiled point of view, sad !

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:57 AM
txpd

@Capsman-fair enough. Close to breaking out. I hope so. I see a lot of folks seeing signs of that for many games now. I wonder how much of that is anti-Boudreau, pro-Hunter, pro-Ov thinking? I dont care. I just want to see results. I hope you are right.

@Kmart-Ovechkin gets $10m per forever because of 50 goal in the regular season Ov. Not because of playoff Ov. Lets leave it just at that. Ov needs to perform to his contract. That includes the winning stuff. If the Caps win the Cup with 28 goal OV and he wins the Conn Smythe, he's earned his check.

spoiled? 8 is paid 10m to deliver. one season of 30 is fine. another season of that or less isn't. period. what about that is spoiled. he is being paid to be a hart trophy candidate elite level player. 28 goal Ov is neither of those things.

Last edited by txpd: 12-24-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old
12-24-2011, 12:24 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Actually it was suck one game, suck the next game, suck the next game, suck the next game, play well in a game or two, then suck for 3-4 more games. We are playing significantly better than in Bruce's last few games. You forget how we were well under 500 in a significant stretch of games and getting few, if any, scoring chances. Yes Ovie isn't playing like the old Ovie, but if you open your eyes and look at the play on ice, it is far superior in terms of teamwork.
See, I don't get this. We are supposedly playing the "right way" now and yet, we still are in the same position in standings we were a month ago.

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
See, I don't get this. We are supposedly playing the "right way" now and yet, we still are in the same position in standings we were a month ago.
Exactly. I really couldnt care all that much about how Ovi plays as long as he puts up respectable numbers and we are good in the standings. Ovi gets 30+ goals, 80+ points and we are first, fine. Ovi gets 50+ goals, 100+ points and we are still first, added bonus.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:33 PM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
i am not going to totally bust on ovechkin. the comeback was started by a nice play by ov on the laich goal.

that said, if ov has become a 30 or less scorer, i want mcphee to get him out of town if he can before its too late.

when the caps need a comeback its laich and chimera? something's wrong. now...semin did have a hand in the both of chimera's goals with nice work. with goals in the previous two games and a productive game last night, i am hopeful.

i know its a hateful thought around here, but semin is showing that he can produce like the best of his past. showing he can still do it. ovechkin not so much.

i am rooting for the guy, but i really wonder if he is what he is and thats it. the caps are going nowhere with $10m in cap space tied up in jason chimera like stats.
Is it already too late to trade Ovi? No one wants that cap hit for 30 goals. Maybe the Islanders. Buy low, sell high. Wouldn't want to be taken to the cleaners in trading away Ovi without an absolute belief that he is done.
Wonder how a buyout would look. Can they buy him out? Or pull a Nylander? LOL

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
Exactly. I really couldnt care all that much about how Ovi plays as long as he puts up respectable numbers and we are good in the standings. Ovi gets 30+ goals, 80+ points and we are first, fine. Ovi gets 50+ goals, 100+ points and we are still first, added bonus.
Yeah except his play can't be defined as respectable and we're not in the playoffs. I never thought OV would be classified as a loafer, but he has been dogging it virtually all year. He looks like he has no motivation and perhaps, no passion for the game anymore.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:39 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
Exactly. It doesn't matter if we play the "right way" and don't get in the playoffs.

With BB last year, we played the "right way" with defense first and didn't help one bit

Tebow doesn't play the "right way" but he wins games. Isn't that all that matters?

Old
12-24-2011, 12:52 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
u forget its regular season... the first time the caps are not controlling the devision at this point in the season and u want the captain out of town ?! when he is a no show in the post season or has like 30 goals while the caps miss the playoffs is the point u can talk about those things. seriously... he stops entertaining you after his mvp seasons and now he must go... a really spoiled point of view, sad !
If we make the playoffs, I think being the non-division leader and lower playoff seed will make the team stronger. Every game is going to be a fun race. Right now we're like the New York Giants, San Diego Chargers of the NFL. This makes for an exciting race.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPP View Post
Wonder how a buyout would look. Can they buy him out? Or pull a Nylander? LOL
I hope to god you're not serious.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:02 PM
bonzaibondra12

No GM in the league would have the balls to trade Ovechkin.

I liked the comeback. Neuvy fell asleep in the shootout, looked like Holtby in his first one last year. I'll take the point.

This team seems to pot all their goals in the third period. They can't fall behind like that,

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:09 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Uncle Teddy would not approve an OV trade. He is the face of this franchise and he has the contract to back it up. Also, despite his performance in the BS shootout, I don't think Neuvy did anything to lose his starting string last night. The kid deserves the start in Buffalo.

And it was a bummer to see my magic with the GDT wear off last night. I had an epic run regardless.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:34 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

@Kmart-Ovechkin gets $10m per forever because of 50 goal in the regular season Ov. Not because of playoff Ov. Lets leave it just at that. Ov needs to perform to his contract. That includes the winning stuff. If the Caps win the Cup with 28 goal OV and he wins the Conn Smythe, he's earned his check.
You even argue against your own positions!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:44 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Uncle Teddy would not approve an OV trade. He is the face of this franchise and he has the contract to back it up.:
i do realize that. tampa didnt either and they are stuck paying lecavalier $10m themselves.

its a hard choice. the only way to trade him is while there is still some hope that he still has ticket selling game left in him.

i dont know what his deal is. i just know that if he is scoring 25 goals in two seasons, the team is toast over the long term.

Old
12-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
No GM in the league would have the balls to trade Ovechkin.

I liked the comeback. Neuvy fell asleep in the shootout, looked like Holtby in his first one last year. I'll take the point.

This team seems to pot all their goals in the third period. They can't fall behind like that,
Holmgren.

Either way, Ted wouldn't even consider it.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:55 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Bluejackets fan - just want to say how happy I am to see Chimera shining for you guys. I always thought he was the heart and soul of our team (him and Malhotra on third line LW-C), and I always knew he had 20 goals in him if he got into the right offensive situation. He's a really solid hockey player.

As we've shipped out almost every character, hard-working guy we had (Derek MacKenzie is the last one left), our disgraceful record is well deserved. I don't even like the bunch of clowns I root for now.
No surprise here. I have followed Chimera since his rookie year and quite pleased with him as a Cap.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:17 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Holmgren.

Either way, Ted wouldn't even consider it.
sure he would. during the season? no. but in the offseason with complete results on the table to work with.

Old
12-24-2011, 03:21 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
sure he would. during the season? no. but in the offseason with complete results on the table to work with.
Ted doesn't give a **** about results. Ticket prices are up and we sell out every game. That's all that matters. Ovechkin is a big reason for that.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:33 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ted doesn't give a **** about results. Ticket prices are up and we sell out every game. That's all that matters. Ovechkin is a big reason for that.
Ya he doesn't care about results. He stays out of ALL player decisions since Jagr. He learned from his mistake. He signs the paychecks and leaves the hockey business to hockey people. Such a bad owner.......