HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps vs Devils - Prudential Center - 7pm - 12-23-11

Old
12-24-2011, 02:34 PM
NeilYoung

vCash: 500
Anyone else starting to think Orlovs looks like he's hitting the rookie wall?

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
To some extent yes. If anyone thought he was going to come in and play a flawless, dominant game he or she was mistaken. He has shown, however, that he will be a really good one in time. He has also shown that he is an option for this season. He may go back down at some point, may not. But if there is injury or crappy play by the usual suspects is available.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
Man, before this season I thought he wasn't a great fit here. Now he's one of my favourites. Good guy.
Lol, I was trying to think of ways we could either trade him or banish him to the fourth line before the season started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Still waiting for that rocket shot to hit the roof of the net.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 12-25-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Halpysback

Yeah lets trade Ovechkin before he has a single playoff performance where he isn't dominant to his name. It's all about the regular season after all.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Yeah lets trade Ovechkin before he has a single playoff performance where he isn't dominant to his name. It's all about the regular season after all.
It is funny how regular season doesn't matter, but now suddenly it does..

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Just so I'm clear on this, who exactly has ever said that regular season play doesn't matter?

I've seen a lot of people say that regular season wins don't matter, but I can't remember anyone saying the team's actual play in the regular season doesn't matter. Ovechkin's play has been terrible in most games.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:57 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
@Kmart-Ovechkin gets $10m per forever because of 50 goal in the regular season Ov. Not because of playoff Ov. Lets leave it just at that. Ov needs to perform to his contract. That includes the winning stuff. If the Caps win the Cup with 28 goal OV and he wins the Conn Smythe, he's earned his check.

spoiled? 8 is paid 10m to deliver. one season of 30 is fine. another season of that or less isn't. period. what about that is spoiled. he is being paid to be a hart trophy candidate elite level player. 28 goal Ov is neither of those things.
you are right about the first part, the money comes from regular season mostly and he usually dominates there, i guess its not that important for him to live up to his old standard as he won 2 mvps already and i dont care neither but if his team misses the playoffs i will throw him under the bus.

to the second part... i still calling u spoiled because u actually want him traded if he remains at this pace regardless of the outcome in the playoffs. lets face it, the captials are not the penguins, without ov they are the crapitals again.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:41 PM
txpd

realistically they are without him now. he is not performing to his career norms. he is now ollie jokinen or loui eriksson or milan lucic. lucic could win a conn smythe on a cup team potentially and could score 30 goals many seasons. he hits and has a major impact in many games. he is not a 10m dollar player though. you could have lucic and eriksson for $10m.

thats my problem. i think most here back me up on that. those that think trading him is a stupid idea are those that think he is going to become hart trophy/superstar ov again. if he does, trading him is stupid. most of those posters would agree that if he is a 28 or 30 goal scorer that hits like a truck from here out, that he is VASTLY overpaid and moving him isnt so stupid after all.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Halpysback

Team play in the regular season matters since they can't magically snap their fingers and find synergy and fundamentals the moment the playoffs roll around. Ovechkin's personal playoff performance, so far, has been very good to extraordinary every season they've made it. He was always the top performer for the team in the playoffs. Even last season when he was off all year and played with an MIA Backstrom in the playoffs he went above a PPG and was working his ass off. Until we have at least ONE year of him sucking in the playoffs I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even if the regular season has been bad. If playoff performances are really the bar for success here, there's not one ******* datapoint supporting the notion that he should be traded.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:50 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Just so I'm clear on this, who exactly has ever said that regular season play doesn't matter?

I've seen a lot of people say that regular season wins don't matter, but I can't remember anyone saying the team's actual play in the regular season doesn't matter. Ovechkin's play has been terrible in most games.
i think there have been numberous times here in recent years when any sort of regular season accomplishment was highlighted as a sign the team is doing well and the response was...."cup"?

i think we have established that the regular season doesnt matter unless you lose. the regular season only proves negatives here.

last season was all about 8 saving it for the playoffs. he wasnt bad in the playoffs but he wasnt carry the team to a big win good either. i dont recall him pulling their fat out of the fire once. that was semin or johansson or green or chimera.

i think most here expected that ovechkin's game would bounce back after a down season last season. approaching halfway this season looks worse than last season and with the playoffs even in question someone wants to wait on the playoffs to wonder if ov and his contract might be a problem?

its a problem now.

Old
12-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Oh, I'm with you on this. I think I was the first one to say so a month or two ago, and predictably got a lot of **** for it. I still think they should probably let this season play out, but at a certain point keeping him just becomes absurd. The talent and physical tools are still there, but eventually it becomes like the Jagr situation. Ovechkin may go to the Blue Jackets and put up fifty-goal seasons for the next five years, and that sucks, but keeping him is still ridiculous because he'll never do so here again.

Old
12-26-2011, 11:46 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Vokoun sure loves Hunter

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Vokoun sure loves Hunter
ummm...hmm?

Old
12-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Vokoun was the first goalie off the ice and will not have started the last five games. If he's going to find his groove then he's going to need games...and he may not get them short of a spectacular performance.

Last edited by Langway: 12-26-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...rong-capitals/

Old
12-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
sure he would. during the season? no. but in the offseason with complete results on the table to work with.
IMO Ted would make a front office move before trading 8....unless of course there is some complete behind the scene stuff I/we dont know about.

Im much less worried about 8 than you I guess...that said, I dont know how much of the old 8 we will see in terms of crushing people at every turn, that player cant last forever. He needs to figure it out and become a top offensive player again.....but I think he will

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And here we go....malcontent.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:34 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I think tv is handling it professionally. Just go out and make a rask out of neuvy.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If this was Neuvirth playing the "woe is me card" people would be having a fit right about now.

Old
12-26-2011, 12:39 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

"people" have fits of everything

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
If this was Neuvirth playing the "woe is me card" people would be having a fit right about now.
Maybe, but those people would be just as wrong as you are about this. Maybe he's a malcontent, and I knew someone would post a response like that, but those quotes certainly don't show that he is. He's unhappy about the situation, and ma ybe feels like he's being treated unfairly, but that does not make him a malcontent. The situation could get to that point, but it could also get better. What really matters is how Vokoun plays when he does get his next chance.

Old
12-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
And here we go....malcontent.
while i think that may be a bit too harsh, I find it odd him saying he doesnt understand....he has played poorly this season, and while Neuvirth has played even worse for most of it too, he has been pretty solid the last few games

I like that Hunter is going with the guy who seems more on his game. Vokoun needs to find his game quick, like the next time he gets a chance. Stop the puck, you will play more....

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm certainly being sarcastic about him being a malcontent, but he seems to like to drop lines to the press. He's living in a fantasy world if he doesn't understand why Neuvy is getting the starts right now. Caps are a team without a number 1. Vokoun should have realized his name doesn't mean crap after the season opener. Play well, get to start. If he's not lights out his next chance, there's an issue.

Old
12-26-2011, 12:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe, but those people would be just as wrong as you are about this. Maybe he's a malcontent, and I knew someone would post a response like that, but those quotes certainly don't show that he is. He's unhappy about the situation, and ma ybe feels like he's being treated unfairly, but that does not make him a malcontent. The situation could get to that point, but it could also get better. What really matters is how Vokoun plays when he does get his next chance.
At some point he needs to stop whining to the press and let his play do the talk for him.

Old
12-26-2011, 12:51 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Vokoun was the first goalie off the ice and will not have started the last five games. If he's going to find his groove then he's going to need games...and he may not get them short of a spectacular performance.
somebody needs to get their game going. it doesnt bug me that its neuvirth. vokoun is a short timer and the struggling team doesnt have a lot of time to sacrifice chances to get their team together waiting on vokoun.

as for vokoun not knowing how he got in the spot he is in, how many times has he admitted that he stuck it up?

i'd love for vokoun to slam the door on the sabres tonight and make a battle of who's better rather than who's the least bad.